independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 11th Dec 2019 9:45pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Let’s Pick the New Director for Netflix Doc
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 08/24/19 1:17pm

PeteSilas

CynicKill said:

PeteSilas said:

i really don't see how scorcese and lucas could do any kind of a good job, they're too far away from the subject. Spike would do best and i'm sure he's thought of it. Spike does balanced docus, some of the best i ever saw. So, I have to say, I can't see how anyone can do a good documentary if they don't have some sort of interest, or knowledge of their subject. Scorcese would be coming in cold and then there is the racial aspect. Scorcese didn't like boxing and he did a great boxing film but he had a good supporting team and even still, not everyone likes raging bull, criticizing it for being slow paced.

What did I miss here?

Scorcese is a generation removed from Prince's era, he's not the right guy.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 08/24/19 1:20pm

violetcrush

tab32792 said:

depends ... is it gonna be his WHOLE life or is it gonna do like most and act like he didn't do anything significant after 1988, skip the 90s go straight to 2004 then his death

Well, that would be just ridiculous to skip the 90's. The 90's, while not the most commercially successful period, were filled with very important pieces of his career trajectory. Excluding that time would be quite irresponsible of any director.

*

I like the idea of Scorsese or Ken Burns directing with the assistance of historian experts like Per Nilsen and Duane T to provide the details needed, and recommendations for important interviews. Spike Lee is too much of a fan, and he is not a documentary film maker.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 08/24/19 1:21pm

violetcrush

PeteSilas said:

CynicKill said:

What did I miss here?

Scorcese is a generation removed from Prince's era, he's not the right guy.

I guess that makes sense. Someone who, even if not a fan, was of the same generation might make a difference.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 08/24/19 1:47pm

PeteSilas

violetcrush said:

tab32792 said:

depends ... is it gonna be his WHOLE life or is it gonna do like most and act like he didn't do anything significant after 1988, skip the 90s go straight to 2004 then his death

Well, that would be just ridiculous to skip the 90's. The 90's, while not the most commercially successful period, were filled with very important pieces of his career trajectory. Excluding that time would be quite irresponsible of any director.

*

I like the idea of Scorsese or Ken Burns directing with the assistance of historian experts like Per Nilsen and Duane T to provide the details needed, and recommendations for important interviews. Spike Lee is too much of a fan, and he is not a documentary film maker.

Spike did two Docus that are stellar, A Jim Brown docu and a docu on Hurricane Katrina, either one of those I like over all of his films. In the Brown docu, he did a fine job of showing Brown's warts as well as his virtues and not beating the viewer over the head one way or the other. Brown was abusive to people in his life, Spike doesn't let him off nor does he indict him, he let's people speak and lets the viewer decide....Brown is an abusive bully who does a lot of good things.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 08/24/19 1:51pm

violetcrush

PeteSilas said:

violetcrush said:

Well, that would be just ridiculous to skip the 90's. The 90's, while not the most commercially successful period, were filled with very important pieces of his career trajectory. Excluding that time would be quite irresponsible of any director.

*

I like the idea of Scorsese or Ken Burns directing with the assistance of historian experts like Per Nilsen and Duane T to provide the details needed, and recommendations for important interviews. Spike Lee is too much of a fan, and he is not a documentary film maker.

Spike did two Docus that are stellar, A Jim Brown docu and a docu on Hurricane Katrina, either one of those I like over all of his films. In the Brown docu, he did a fine job of showing Brown's warts as well as his virtues and not beating the viewer over the head one way or the other. Brown was abusive to people in his life, Spike doesn't let him off nor does he indict him, he let's people speak and lets the viewer decide....Brown is an abusive bully who does a lot of good things.

But Prince and Spike were good friends and collaborators for years. Both helped the other with their careers as well. I just think he would have a harder time being completely unbiased about his music and his life.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 08/24/19 2:09pm

PeteSilas

violetcrush said:

PeteSilas said:

Spike did two Docus that are stellar, A Jim Brown docu and a docu on Hurricane Katrina, either one of those I like over all of his films. In the Brown docu, he did a fine job of showing Brown's warts as well as his virtues and not beating the viewer over the head one way or the other. Brown was abusive to people in his life, Spike doesn't let him off nor does he indict him, he let's people speak and lets the viewer decide....Brown is an abusive bully who does a lot of good things.

But Prince and Spike were good friends and collaborators for years. Both helped the other with their careers as well. I just think he would have a harder time being completely unbiased about his music and his life.

maybe, but I doubt it, Spike is very smart that way. Also, at the end of the day, would it be good or bad, that's all that matters and I think it would be good. i agree about hagiography, we don't really need that. we also don't need any Leaving Neverland type shit where only two guys say their sides and no one else is allowed to say anything else, in some ways that was one of the worst jobs of a docu that could be made.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 08/24/19 2:19pm

CynicKill

PeteSilas said:

CynicKill said:

What did I miss here?

Scorcese is a generation removed from Prince's era, he's not the right guy.

But what's the racial aspect?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 08/24/19 2:32pm

PeteSilas

Spike has done some mj docus, purposely avoiding anything but the musical aspect because he dind't want to deal with the molestation subject, so far, he has made no move towards doing so. The point that he's a fan has validity. I think he should have delved all the way in on MJ the same way he did on Jim Brown but he don't wanna. Prince has none of those types of scandals unless you wanna split hairs and say he liked young girls but most men like young girls and get them if they can get away with it (not me, I think they're stupid).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 08/24/19 2:37pm

PeteSilas

CynicKill said:

PeteSilas said:

Scorcese is a generation removed from Prince's era, he's not the right guy.

But what's the racial aspect?

can someone explain this to her?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 08/24/19 2:38pm

violetcrush

PeteSilas said:

Spike has done some mj docus, purposely avoiding anything but the musical aspect because he dind't want to deal with the molestation subject, so far, he has made no move towards doing so. The point that he's a fan has validity. I think he should have delved all the way in on MJ the same way he did on Jim Brown but he don't wanna. Prince has none of those types of scandals unless you wanna split hairs and say he liked young girls but most men like young girls and get them if they can get away with it (not me, I think they're stupid).

I think Prince thought they were stupid too, but he wasn't going after them in order to be mentally stimulated biggrin

*

Spike Lee isn't/wasn't alone in not wanting to touch the MJ molestation subject. It's just so sad and cringeworthy. Most did not want to think or talk about one of their musical idols commiting that kind of crime. Also beyond sad that fame and money can buy your innocence.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/24/19 2:49pm

PeteSilas

violetcrush said:

PeteSilas said:

Spike has done some mj docus, purposely avoiding anything but the musical aspect because he dind't want to deal with the molestation subject, so far, he has made no move towards doing so. The point that he's a fan has validity. I think he should have delved all the way in on MJ the same way he did on Jim Brown but he don't wanna. Prince has none of those types of scandals unless you wanna split hairs and say he liked young girls but most men like young girls and get them if they can get away with it (not me, I think they're stupid).

I think Prince thought they were stupid too, but he wasn't going after them in order to be mentally stimulated biggrin

*

Spike Lee isn't/wasn't alone in not wanting to touch the MJ molestation subject. It's just so sad and cringeworthy. Most did not want to think or talk about one of their musical idols commiting that kind of crime. Also beyond sad that fame and money can buy your innocence.

ya it is, but I think he should have dived into it all for posterity if nothing else. It's gonna come out anyway one way or the other. When making a bio or docu, there are different avenues you can take, all valid, for example, per nilsen mainly stuck to the musical work of Prince and wanting nothing to do with the other stuff and that's a valid take and he did a great job. But.., sad to say, most fans don't know or want to know everything about an idols music, Elvis has millions of fans who've probably only heard 10 percent of his work if that. So, the life, the persona, the psychology is more important for most fans.

and never understood men who like dull women, why not just get a blowup doll or a prostitute, stupid people are annoying as fuck.

[Edited 8/24/19 14:50pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/24/19 3:43pm

jdcxc

PeteSilas said:



violetcrush said:




tab32792 said:


depends ... is it gonna be his WHOLE life or is it gonna do like most and act like he didn't do anything significant after 1988, skip the 90s go straight to 2004 then his death




Well, that would be just ridiculous to skip the 90's. The 90's, while not the most commercially successful period, were filled with very important pieces of his career trajectory. Excluding that time would be quite irresponsible of any director.



*


I like the idea of Scorsese or Ken Burns directing with the assistance of historian experts like Per Nilsen and Duane T to provide the details needed, and recommendations for important interviews. Spike Lee is too much of a fan, and he is not a documentary film maker.



Spike did two Docus that are stellar, A Jim Brown docu and a docu on Hurricane Katrina, either one of those I like over all of his films. In the Brown docu, he did a fine job of showing Brown's warts as well as his virtues and not beating the viewer over the head one way or the other. Brown was abusive to people in his life, Spike doesn't let him off nor does he indict him, he let's people speak and lets the viewer decide....Brown is an abusive bully who does a lot of good things.



4 Little Girls is a brilliant Doc.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/25/19 4:23pm

violetcrush

jdcxc said:

PeteSilas said:

Spike did two Docus that are stellar, A Jim Brown docu and a docu on Hurricane Katrina, either one of those I like over all of his films. In the Brown docu, he did a fine job of showing Brown's warts as well as his virtues and not beating the viewer over the head one way or the other. Brown was abusive to people in his life, Spike doesn't let him off nor does he indict him, he let's people speak and lets the viewer decide....Brown is an abusive bully who does a lot of good things.

4 Little Girls is a brilliant Doc.

I didn't realize he had made that many docus. I will have to watch them.

*

I still think he was too close to Prince to be completely objective.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 08/25/19 5:55pm

Lovejunky

avatar

Marrk said:

Kevin Smith. lol

Not as stupid as it sounds...

Kevin was someone who by his own admission didnt "get" Prince, while he was here...

After Princes death and some deep introspection he has done a complete 180..

I like the idea of someone who was not a super fan,but suddenly became one due to an epiphany,

making the documentary...

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 08/25/19 6:06pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Lovejunky said:

Marrk said:

Kevin Smith. lol

Not as stupid as it sounds...

Kevin was someone who by his own admission didnt "get" Prince, while he was here...

After Princes death and some deep introspection he has done a complete 180..

I like the idea of someone who was not a super fan,but suddenly became one due to an epiphany,

making the documentary...

Kevin was a long time Prince Fan... He wanted to use a song in a movie and Prince said no but gave them a time song... and then Prince hired him to make a film... and Yes Kevin did 2 speaches on it... but he was still a fan. In April 2016 he did like a 2 hour show on him... he was a fan... no 180 necessary. He would be a great choice.

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 08/25/19 7:24pm

violetcrush

OnlyNDaUsa said:



Lovejunky said:




Marrk said:


Kevin Smith. lol



Not as stupid as it sounds...


Kevin was someone who by his own admission didnt "get" Prince, while he was here...


After Princes death and some deep introspection he has done a complete 180..


I like the idea of someone who was not a super fan,but suddenly became one due to an epiphany,


making the documentary...







Kevin was a long time Prince Fan... He wanted to use a song in a movie and Prince said no but gave them a time song... and then Prince hired him to make a film... and Yes Kevin did 2 speaches on it... but he was still a fan. In April 2016 he did like a 2 hour show on him... he was a fan... no 180 necessary. He would be a great choice.


He was a longtime fan, but he really bashed him when he did that speech about going to PP to do the TRC film for Prince. His story was funny, but at Prince’s expense in a big way. Lots of shots taken and personal things shared. I was actually surprised how far he went.
*
I also saw his video after Prince passed, and he was very emotional and seemed regretful about the speech he had done.
*
All that being said, I think there are better choices for Director.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 08/26/19 12:56am

JorisE73

violetcrush said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Kevin was a long time Prince Fan... He wanted to use a song in a movie and Prince said no but gave them a time song... and then Prince hired him to make a film... and Yes Kevin did 2 speaches on it... but he was still a fan. In April 2016 he did like a 2 hour show on him... he was a fan... no 180 necessary. He would be a great choice.

He was a longtime fan, but he really bashed him when he did that speech about going to PP to do the TRC film for Prince. His story was funny, but at Prince’s expense in a big way. Lots of shots taken and personal things shared. I was actually surprised how far he went. * I also saw his video after Prince passed, and he was very emotional and seemed regretful about the speech he had done. * All that being said, I think there are better choices for Director.


Due to some oversight he didn't sign a NDA so he went all out on it.
But he wasn't as big a fan like us here when I saw that 2 hour fatman on batman show he did on him that became very clear. He's more like the average Prince enthousiast that claims to be a fan.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 08/26/19 1:03am

Lovejunky

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Lovejunky said:

Not as stupid as it sounds...

Kevin was someone who by his own admission didnt "get" Prince, while he was here...

After Princes death and some deep introspection he has done a complete 180..

I like the idea of someone who was not a super fan,but suddenly became one due to an epiphany,

making the documentary...

Kevin was a long time Prince Fan... He wanted to use a song in a movie and Prince said no but gave them a time song... and then Prince hired him to make a film... and Yes Kevin did 2 speaches on it... but he was still a fan. In April 2016 he did like a 2 hour show on him... he was a fan... no 180 necessary. He would be a great choice.

There was a distinct 180 actually...

Kevin catagorically said that he at one stage thought Prince was a DICK....

only after he left and matured himself did he recognise Prince as a Master Manifester...

This is the part about Princes legacy that not many understand..

People can have good ideas, but not everyone can manifest those ideas...

If you look at the enormity of Princes Ouvre,

and listen to Kevins 2 hour show again,

https://www.youtube.com/w...W5oQigsZbw

you will get what I was meaning...

anyway

agreed..

Kevin is a good choice IMO and yours...

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 08/26/19 5:44am

violetcrush

Lovejunky said:



OnlyNDaUsa said:




Lovejunky said:



Not as stupid as it sounds...


Kevin was someone who by his own admission didnt "get" Prince, while he was here...


After Princes death and some deep introspection he has done a complete 180..


I like the idea of someone who was not a super fan,but suddenly became one due to an epiphany,


making the documentary...







Kevin was a long time Prince Fan... He wanted to use a song in a movie and Prince said no but gave them a time song... and then Prince hired him to make a film... and Yes Kevin did 2 speaches on it... but he was still a fan. In April 2016 he did like a 2 hour show on him... he was a fan... no 180 necessary. He would be a great choice.



There was a distinct 180 actually...


Kevin catagorically said that he at one stage thought Prince was a DICK....


only after he left and matured himself did he recognise Prince as a Master Manifester...


This is the part about Princes legacy that not many understand..


People can have good ideas, but not everyone can manifest those ideas...


If you look at the enormity of Princes Ouvre,


and listen to Kevins 2 hour show again,


https://www.youtube.com/w...W5oQigsZbw


you will get what I was meaning...


anyway


agreed..


Kevin is a good choice IMO and yours...



Kevin thought Prince was a “dick” only after meeting him and spending a frustrating and bizarre week at PP during Prince’s heavy JW period. He had no idea what he was doing there, and Prince did not cooperate with him, nor did he thank him for his time. He spent a week filming everyday for nothing. Would be great to see that footage though.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 08/26/19 9:06am

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

Per Nilsen - the guys from Uptown. It needs an expert!

Spike Lee would just turn it into a political black man vs white man type documentary and you'd lose the whole message of his music which appealed to all creeds, colours and races.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 08/26/19 9:10am

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

violetcrush said:

Lovejunky said:

There was a distinct 180 actually...

Kevin catagorically said that he at one stage thought Prince was a DICK....

only after he left and matured himself did he recognise Prince as a Master Manifester...

This is the part about Princes legacy that not many understand..

People can have good ideas, but not everyone can manifest those ideas...

If you look at the enormity of Princes Ouvre,

and listen to Kevins 2 hour show again,

https://www.youtube.com/w...W5oQigsZbw

you will get what I was meaning...

anyway

agreed..

Kevin is a good choice IMO and yours...

Kevin thought Prince was a “dick” only after meeting him and spending a frustrating and bizarre week at PP during Prince’s heavy JW period. He had no idea what he was doing there, and Prince did not cooperate with him, nor did he thank him for his time. He spent a week filming everyday for nothing. Would be great to see that footage though.

Yes, he may want your sympathy but he's more than made up for that time from cashing in and talking about it publicly to hundreds of people.

It was actually silly of P to not pay him as if he had then he would probably be under some kind of confidentiality clause so all his private stories would not have been floating around the internet due to his talks. (Unless P knew this would happen and deliberately wanted his mystique to be promoted to add to his mysterious image....possible.)

[Edited 8/26/19 9:11am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 08/26/19 9:45am

violetcrush

TheFreakerFantastic said:



violetcrush said:


Lovejunky said:


There was a distinct 180 actually...


Kevin catagorically said that he at one stage thought Prince was a DICK....


only after he left and matured himself did he recognise Prince as a Master Manifester...


This is the part about Princes legacy that not many understand..


People can have good ideas, but not everyone can manifest those ideas...


If you look at the enormity of Princes Ouvre,


and listen to Kevins 2 hour show again,


https://www.youtube.com/w...W5oQigsZbw


you will get what I was meaning...


anyway


agreed..


Kevin is a good choice IMO and yours...




Kevin thought Prince was a “dick” only after meeting him and spending a frustrating and bizarre week at PP during Prince’s heavy JW period. He had no idea what he was doing there, and Prince did not cooperate with him, nor did he thank him for his time. He spent a week filming everyday for nothing. Would be great to see that footage though.


Yes, he may want your sympathy but he's more than made up for that time from cashing in and talking about it publicly to hundreds of people.


It was actually silly of P to not pay him as if he had then he would probably be under some kind of confidentiality clause so all his private stories would not have been floating around the internet due to his talks. (Unless P knew this would happen and deliberately wanted his mystique to be promoted to add to his mysterious image....possible.)

[Edited 8/26/19 9:11am]


You misunderstood my post. I was not sympathizing with Kevin at all (see my first post - #45), and actually felt the details of his story were not appropriate - he went too far for a few laughs at Prince’s expense. I do agree with his reactions to his interaction with Prince, because it was a bit bizarre - but that was Prince being “Prince”, which he would not have known before he met him.
*
No way that Prince would have planned it thinking Kevin would publicly speak about it, because there was nothing in his discussion that added to Prince’s “mystique” - it was blatant detail which was more embarrassing for him than anything else. I believe during a later interview Prince was asked about Kevin’s video and the journalist commented on the lack of success of his recent films at the time, and Prince’s response was something like “people should be careful about what they say because karma is real, and he’s not doing so well lately” - not his exact words at all, but it was something similar. So, no doubt he was pissed about it.
[Edited 8/26/19 9:48am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 08/26/19 10:16am

RJOrion

TheFreakerFantastic said:

Per Nilsen - the guys from Uptown. It needs an expert!



Spike Lee would just turn it into a political black man vs white man type documentary and you'd lose the whole message of his music which appealed to all creeds, colours and races.




[Snip - luv4u]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 08/26/19 3:15pm

PeteSilas

violetcrush said:

TheFreakerFantastic said:

Yes, he may want your sympathy but he's more than made up for that time from cashing in and talking about it publicly to hundreds of people.

It was actually silly of P to not pay him as if he had then he would probably be under some kind of confidentiality clause so all his private stories would not have been floating around the internet due to his talks. (Unless P knew this would happen and deliberately wanted his mystique to be promoted to add to his mysterious image....possible.)

[Edited 8/26/19 9:11am]

You misunderstood my post. I was not sympathizing with Kevin at all (see my first post - #45), and actually felt the details of his story were not appropriate - he went too far for a few laughs at Prince’s expense. I do agree with his reactions to his interaction with Prince, because it was a bit bizarre - but that was Prince being “Prince”, which he would not have known before he met him. * No way that Prince would have planned it thinking Kevin would publicly speak about it, because there was nothing in his discussion that added to Prince’s “mystique” - it was blatant detail which was more embarrassing for him than anything else. I believe during a later interview Prince was asked about Kevin’s video and the journalist commented on the lack of success of his recent films at the time, and Prince’s response was something like “people should be careful about what they say because karma is real, and he’s not doing so well lately” - not his exact words at all, but it was something similar. So, no doubt he was pissed about it. [Edited 8/26/19 9:48am]

i remember the rs interview where prince said something like "that's what happens when the potty mouth don't work no mo'" kevin read it and kinda dismissed it with the same flippancy he did when prince said "chaka mad". I watched the smith speech about it, although it was worth listening to, i've never liked smartasses like him. The info was nothing new, Prince was a handful, always was.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 08/26/19 3:59pm

violetcrush

PeteSilas said:

violetcrush said:

TheFreakerFantastic said: You misunderstood my post. I was not sympathizing with Kevin at all (see my first post - #45), and actually felt the details of his story were not appropriate - he went too far for a few laughs at Prince’s expense. I do agree with his reactions to his interaction with Prince, because it was a bit bizarre - but that was Prince being “Prince”, which he would not have known before he met him. * No way that Prince would have planned it thinking Kevin would publicly speak about it, because there was nothing in his discussion that added to Prince’s “mystique” - it was blatant detail which was more embarrassing for him than anything else. I believe during a later interview Prince was asked about Kevin’s video and the journalist commented on the lack of success of his recent films at the time, and Prince’s response was something like “people should be careful about what they say because karma is real, and he’s not doing so well lately” - not his exact words at all, but it was something similar. So, no doubt he was pissed about it. [Edited 8/26/19 9:48am]

i remember the rs interview where prince said something like "that's what happens when the potty mouth don't work no mo'" kevin read it and kinda dismissed it with the same flippancy he did when prince said "chaka mad". I watched the smith speech about it, although it was worth listening to, i've never liked smartasses like him. The info was nothing new, Prince was a handful, always was.

Yes, some of the info was nothing new, but some was just plain mean - like when he stated that Prince's production assistant (I think) told him they shop at the boy's department when they need to go buy things for him sad That was just a big ole dig. I mean, he did refer to himself as "tubby" during the discussion too, but still. I think his discussion about telling Prince that some of the fans invited to listen to TRC felt that he was saying he hates white people, and Prince responding, "well, if the Bra fits..." was wrong too.

*

Between Prince passing and then his near fatal heart attack I think Kevin has changed quite a bit. He teared up when he was talking about how Prince was so nice to his kid and even danced with him or her when he was at PP sad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 08/26/19 4:23pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

violetcrush said:

PeteSilas said:

i remember the rs interview where prince said something like "that's what happens when the potty mouth don't work no mo'" kevin read it and kinda dismissed it with the same flippancy he did when prince said "chaka mad". I watched the smith speech about it, although it was worth listening to, i've never liked smartasses like him. The info was nothing new, Prince was a handful, always was.

Yes, some of the info was nothing new, but some was just plain mean - like when he stated that Prince's production assistant (I think) told him they shop at the boy's department when they need to go buy things for him sad That was just a big ole dig. I mean, he did refer to himself as "tubby" during the discussion too, but still. I think his discussion about telling Prince that some of the fans invited to listen to TRC felt that he was saying he hates white people, and Prince responding, "well, if the Bra fits..." was wrong too.

*

Between Prince passing and then his near fatal heart attack I think Kevin has changed quite a bit. He teared up when he was talking about how Prince was so nice to his kid and even danced with him or her when he was at PP sad

Yeah, from what I've read/heard from Kevin's interviews, he did change his perspective a lot, like most people do, after a near fatal experience.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 08/26/19 10:41pm

udo

avatar

PeteSilas said:

CynicKill said:

But what's the racial aspect?

can someone explain this to her?

.

The `identity` thing does not help the economy, the money or work.

It is a fake argument that is already covereed in many rules and regulations.

Why drag in into a Prince docco of which the director vanished? Why did they vanish?

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 08/26/19 11:10pm

PeteSilas

udo said:

PeteSilas said:

can someone explain this to her?

.

The `identity` thing does not help the economy, the money or work.

It is a fake argument that is already covereed in many rules and regulations.

Why drag in into a Prince docco of which the director vanished? Why did they vanish?

no clue, a dispute of either opinion or pay, one or the other.

[Edited 8/26/19 23:15pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 08/27/19 12:50am

JorisE73

TheFreakerFantastic said:

violetcrush said:

Lovejunky said: Kevin thought Prince was a “dick” only after meeting him and spending a frustrating and bizarre week at PP during Prince’s heavy JW period. He had no idea what he was doing there, and Prince did not cooperate with him, nor did he thank him for his time. He spent a week filming everyday for nothing. Would be great to see that footage though.

Yes, he may want your sympathy but he's more than made up for that time from cashing in and talking about it publicly to hundreds of people.

It was actually silly of P to not pay him as if he had then he would probably be under some kind of confidentiality clause so all his private stories would not have been floating around the internet due to his talks. (Unless P knew this would happen and deliberately wanted his mystique to be promoted to add to his mysterious image....possible.)

[Edited 8/26/19 9:11am]


He talked about the confidentiality agreement and that Prince's assistant failed to get teh NDA to him so he never signed one. Teh only reason he talked about taht experience was because some fan in the audience asked about it and he opened up about it for more than an hour, something he didn;t plan to do becuase he didn't think anyone showing up to his show would know or even be interested in it that story.
People asked and he anwsered.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 08/27/19 4:45am

violetcrush

JorisE73 said:



TheFreakerFantastic said:




violetcrush said:


Lovejunky said: Kevin thought Prince was a “dick” only after meeting him and spending a frustrating and bizarre week at PP during Prince’s heavy JW period. He had no idea what he was doing there, and Prince did not cooperate with him, nor did he thank him for his time. He spent a week filming everyday for nothing. Would be great to see that footage though.


Yes, he may want your sympathy but he's more than made up for that time from cashing in and talking about it publicly to hundreds of people.


It was actually silly of P to not pay him as if he had then he would probably be under some kind of confidentiality clause so all his private stories would not have been floating around the internet due to his talks. (Unless P knew this would happen and deliberately wanted his mystique to be promoted to add to his mysterious image....possible.)


[Edited 8/26/19 9:11am]




He talked about the confidentiality agreement and that Prince's assistant failed to get teh NDA to him so he never signed one. Teh only reason he talked about taht experience was because some fan in the audience asked about it and he opened up about it for more than an hour, something he didn;t plan to do becuase he didn't think anyone showing up to his show would know or even be interested in it that story.
People asked and he anwsered.


Yes, I saw the full video clip with the guy asking the question. It was quite an elaborate and organized story to have just been “off the cuff”. He may not have thought someone would ask (which is also surprising because I think they were all aspiring film makers), but it seemed that he was quite prepared if they did.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Let’s Pick the New Director for Netflix Doc