independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 20th Feb 2020 10:03am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > unusual actions by Jehovah Witness
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #210 posted 05/25/19 2:21pm

RJP1205

One more thought, when you are studying with JW's or are a JW, it's a loving community, with people who care about you. You feel special being part of something bigger than yourself and you are told that you are a special group to God as well. I'm sure that appealed to P, especially the relationship he had with Larry as a big brother or father figure. However, once you start doubting or questioning the teachings or quit attending meetings...the 'love' abruptly stops... you are no longer in that cocoon of companionship... you are banished. Even family abandons you. It seems like Prince and Larry were not as close at the end and I bet this is what happened. And I can tell you first hand, it is painful to feel the family and friends you thought you had suddenly not accept you anymore simply for questioning religion.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #211 posted 05/25/19 8:53pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

RJP1205 said:

Yup! I grew up JW, the elders had a meltdown when I got my ears double pierced (I'm female BTW)...a man wearing makeup would never be tolerated. Men are to be men and women are to be wholesome. I remember a girl being sent home from an assembly because her dress was too sexy. I was nominated for Homecoming Queen at school. My Dad (an elder) made me tell the teacher in charge that I had to turn it down. JW's are not allowed to make themselves seem important. To play a concert with tons of fans?!? And I couldn't be HC Queen in a small town?? I was also "reproved" for dating outside the faith...one step below disfellowshipping. But Prince was able to do that. Of course, men are held on high in that organization and can get away with more but still..sorry, I adore Prince but he got away with A LOT that other JW's would not be able to do and stay in the church.



Thanks for the insight.


I often thought that the make-up and heels would not be approved by the JWs for any other member and they looked the other way because he was tithing large sums.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #212 posted 05/25/19 9:55pm

RJP1205

All donations are (supposed to be) anonymous and honestly the JW's are a very wealthy organization so I don't think it was that. I think he was sincere in his efforts and showed that by the changes he made so they had no reason to boot him. But just my opinion. I just never thought it would last as long as it did. I consider Prince to be so intelligent and I thought he'd see through things.
Just like when I got my ears double-pierced, there were whispers and judgement that it was a 'worldly' thing to do... there was no scriptual reason to make me stop wearing them and I got to keep them. There is no scriptual grounds that a man cannot wear make-up but likely whispers about it.
[Edited 5/26/19 7:30am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #213 posted 05/26/19 8:56am

herb4

avatar

RJP1205 said:

itsjustaroundthecorner said:

Which actions by Jehovah Witness are 'Unusual Actions'?

Every Single One.

JW's are not allowed to make themselves seem important.


Then why are they knocking on my door, all up in my shit and trying to tell me how important their beliefs are? Seems rather self important to me, disguised as "oh, no, we're really just passing along the message of the Really Important Guy."

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #214 posted 05/26/19 9:29am

RJP1205

Lol! That is the truth! It's a requirement and you have to turn your time in monthly that you spend preaching. If you don't, an elder will hunt you down. It might be alright if there was an actual interest in having a bible discussion, but they do not have any interest in any other opinions or thoughts on the scriptures but their own. And entertaining other ideas is a big no-no.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #215 posted 05/26/19 11:59am

Strive

herb4 said:

RJP1205 said:

itsjustaroundthecorner said: JW's are not allowed to make themselves seem important.


Then why are they knocking on my door, all up in my shit and trying to tell me how important their beliefs are? Seems rather self important to me, disguised as "oh, no, we're really just passing along the message of the Really Important Guy."

What do you think early Christians did?



It's only weird now because we've lost a sense of community. We use to be interconnected. Now it's weird when a neighbor talks to you, let alone about things of a religious nature.



[Edited 5/26/19 12:00pm]

Free the music, fire Michael Howe
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #216 posted 05/26/19 1:21pm

violetcrush

RJP1205 said:

Lol! That is the truth! It's a requirement and you have to turn your time in monthly that you spend preaching. If you don't, an elder will hunt you down. It might be alright if there was an actual interest in having a bible discussion, but they do not have any interest in any other opinions or thoughts on the scriptures but their own. And entertaining other ideas is a big no-no.

How convenient for Larry then - to be able to “clock” his preaching/witnessing/studying time with Prince for several years. I still can’t believe Prince went door-to-door in Chanhassen.
*
He really made changes for the JW. He was also wearing little to no make-up during that time - 2001-2005. Very natural with conservative clothing.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #217 posted 05/27/19 6:18am

herb4

avatar

Strive said:

herb4 said:


Then why are they knocking on my door, all up in my shit and trying to tell me how important their beliefs are? Seems rather self important to me, disguised as "oh, no, we're really just passing along the message of the Really Important Guy."

What do you think early Christians did?



[Snip - luv4u]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #218 posted 05/28/19 11:38am

Factor1

embmmusic said:

Plus the whole BS about trying to get Wendy and Lisa to renounce their homosexuality. As much as I love the music, I'll always be pissed at him for that shit.

Why would you be pissed about that? Wouldn't that be between Prince, Wendy, and Lisa? Prince had a point of view that differed from theirs, and I'm asuming, yours as well, but why be pissed. That's weird.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #219 posted 05/28/19 12:01pm

violetcrush

Factor1 said:



embmmusic said:


Plus the whole BS about trying to get Wendy and Lisa to renounce their homosexuality. As much as I love the music, I'll always be pissed at him for that shit.



Why would you be pissed about that? Wouldn't that be between Prince, Wendy, and Lisa? Prince had a point of view that differed from theirs, and I'm asuming, yours as well, but why be pissed. That's weird.


Um, because asking or demanding someone, or in this case, two people with whom he worked and also had loved as good friends, to renounce their sexuality or he would not record with them is not only blatant discrimination, but also a terrible thing to do to two people you supposedly care about.
*
Also, if Prince had been employing them they could have taken legal action against him. For someone who spoke out so strongly against racial discrimination and also played with gender ambiguity in his music it’s astounding that he would then turn around and discriminate against the homosexual community - religious group or not. This is why I can’t stand religious groups.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #220 posted 05/29/19 7:22pm

embmmusic

avatar

Factor1 said:

embmmusic said:

Plus the whole BS about trying to get Wendy and Lisa to renounce their homosexuality. As much as I love the music, I'll always be pissed at him for that shit.

Why would you be pissed about that? Wouldn't that be between Prince, Wendy, and Lisa? Prince had a point of view that differed from theirs, and I'm asuming, yours as well, but why be pissed. That's weird.

As someone who's part of the LGBTQ community, seeing someone you look up to spout homophobic nonsense is going to piss you off.

Check out The Collector's Guide to Prince on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/p...4ldzxwlEuy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #221 posted 05/29/19 7:28pm

rdhull

avatar

Isn’t it wonderful how people can be so openly prejudiced against a religion?
"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #222 posted 05/29/19 9:43pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

rdhull said:

Isn’t it wonderful how people can be so openly prejudiced against a religion?



I think it is wonderful.


JWs need to be exposed just like Scientology. All religions with extreme dogma needs to be exposed.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #223 posted 05/30/19 8:20am

violetcrush

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:



rdhull said:


Isn’t it wonderful how people can be so openly prejudiced against a religion?



I think it is wonderful.


JWs need to be exposed just like Scientology. All religions with extreme dogma needs to be exposed.



YEP eek
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #224 posted 05/30/19 10:19am

violetcrush

embmmusic said:



Factor1 said:




embmmusic said:


Plus the whole BS about trying to get Wendy and Lisa to renounce their homosexuality. As much as I love the music, I'll always be pissed at him for that shit.



Why would you be pissed about that? Wouldn't that be between Prince, Wendy, and Lisa? Prince had a point of view that differed from theirs, and I'm asuming, yours as well, but why be pissed. That's weird.



As someone who's part of the LGBTQ community, seeing someone you look up to spout homophobic nonsense is going to piss you off.


Wendy stated (per Matt Thorne’s book) that when they found out that Prince said they’d have to publicly renounce their homosexuality before he’d work them again, she and Lisa had to mourn the loss of him as their friend. I believe this was c. 1999 - when they were talking about doing the Roadhouse Garden release and also a potential Revolution reunion of some type.
*
Prince eventually cane back around, because he had Wendy performing Reflection with him on Tavis Smiley in 2004.
[Edited 5/30/19 11:27am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #225 posted 05/30/19 10:37am

Bishop31

avatar

It's so interesting reading all of the information about the JW faith in this thread. I continue to be amazed at the standards that humans make other humans live by in the name of religion. It's truly astonishing the level of control we allow others to have on us. Witnessing someone as free thinking as Prince get swept into this was really something. I hope he eventually found his own internal peace before he passed. Because, it's obvious he was looking for something.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #226 posted 05/30/19 3:12pm

Mumio

avatar

violetcrush said:

Wendy stated (per Matt Thorne’s book) that when they found out that Prince said they’d have to publicly renounce their homosexuality before he’d work them again, she and Lisa had to mourn the loss of him as their friend. I believe this was c. 1999 - when they were talking about doing the Roadhouse Garden release and also a potential Revolution reunion of some type. * Prince eventually cane back around, because he had Wendy performing Reflection with him on Tavis Smiley in 2004. [Edited 5/30/19 11:27am]



Here's how I see all of this particular stuff: you do what you "do" and others do what they "do". If the two ideas are the same, great. If they aren't, still great. People have been given the ability to make a choice. Not every choice is going to be accepted/okay with everyone else. I can live with others having the right to choose for themselves, even if it may not agree with how I feel about things and may verbally express that.


PS: for anyone who thinks they are gonna start something over my opinion on this, you'll be talking to yourself because I am not gonna go there with you.

[Edited 5/30/19 15:15pm]

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #227 posted 05/30/19 4:00pm

herb4

avatar

rdhull said:

Isn’t it wonderful how people can be so openly prejudiced against a religion?


"prejudice" implies that one formed an opinion about the religion without knowing anythign about it. The more I learn about religions the less I like but it's not like I just started out with a closed mind.

Quite the opposite in fact.

Growing up, you're taught to treat religion with a reverance and an automatic, unearned assumption of truth or innocence. Look at what the Catholic curch got away with for centuries, hiding behind an implied veneer of respectability while abusing the same children they were purportedly teaching. My grandmother was a JW and she practically raised me so "prejudice" has zero to do with it. At least for me.

herb4 said:

Strive said:

What do you think early Christians did?



[Snip - luv4u]

Holy shit. Fucking for real? I get snipped for pointing out the Crusades answering a question about early Christianity?

Nice honest, grounded discussion you've got going here.

If I happen to mention the Catholic church/preists molesting kids will I get a flame snip too?



  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #228 posted 05/30/19 4:01pm

rdhull

avatar

Bishop31 said:

It's so interesting reading all of the information about the JW faith in this thread. I continue to be amazed at the standards that humans make other humans live by in the name of religion. It's truly astonishing the level of control we allow others to have on us. Witnessing someone as free thinking as Prince get swept into this was really something. I hope he eventually found his own internal peace before he passed. Because, it's obvious he was looking for something.

Prince was indoctrinated as a child about heaven and hell etc

"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #229 posted 06/01/19 10:05am

Deadflow3r

avatar

I may be wrong, and if I am, please correct me. BRENDA Fuentes neither became a JW or Bria Valente until she met Prince and bith were his idea. The lyrics to Lotusflow3r were so clearly sexual, and the clothes that she wore were pretty normal for someone NOT a Jehovah's Witness, but absolutely not OK by JW standards ( skirts well above the knee and cleavage) that I had a huge issue THEN. That was almost EXACTLY ten years ago. At that time the org was filled with threads about the lyrics of Elixer were about oral sex and how is it even possible that P is not being spoken to about this by the elders. People get kicked out of that religion left and right( and when that happens the other JW's are prohibited from speaking to them.). It is pretty obvious that he was was sexual with Bria. Anyway I honestly felt bad for Bria. She converted to his religion, dressing the style that he always liked. She attempted to do everything right. Next thing, by 20ten,he starts going in a completely different dirrection. She married a JW, but I am not sure if that lasted. I will say this much: if anyone knows the truth about his involvement with the Jehovah'sWitnesses it is Bria Reese and she is one associate artist who isn't talking.
[Edited 6/1/19 10:15am]
[Edited 6/1/19 10:21am]
There came a time when the risk of remaining tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Anais Nin.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #230 posted 06/01/19 11:32am

violetcrush

Deadflow3r said:

I may be wrong, and if I am, please correct me. BRENDA Fuentes neither became a JW or Bria Valente until she met Prince and bith were his idea. The lyrics to Lotusflow3r were so clearly sexual, and the clothes that she wore were pretty normal for someone NOT a Jehovah's Witness, but absolutely not OK by JW standards ( skirts well above the knee and cleavage) that I had a huge issue THEN. That was almost EXACTLY ten years ago. At that time the org was filled with threads about the lyrics of Elixer were about oral sex and how is it even possible that P is not being spoken to about this by the elders. People get kicked out of that religion left and right( and when that happens the other JW's are prohibited from speaking to them.). It is pretty obvious that he was was sexual with Bria. Anyway I honestly felt bad for Bria. She converted to his religion, dressing the style that he always liked. She attempted to do everything right. Next thing, by 20ten,he starts going in a completely different dirrection. She married a JW, but I am not sure if that lasted. I will say this much: if anyone knows the truth about his involvement with the Jehovah'sWitnesses it is Bria Reese and she is one associate artist who isn't talking.
[Edited 6/1/19 10:15am]
[Edited 6/1/19 10:21am]

My guess is the “powers that be” at the JW headquarters “overlooked” some
facets of Prince’s lifestyle, because of the huge platform he had to promote their beliefs. Religious groups need to make money and also recruit more members. Prince was “witnessing” to thousands of people via the lyrics to many of his songs and at his concerts.
*
I thought I had read that Bria was already a JW when she began dating Prince? Didn’t Manuela convert for him as well when she married him? Not really that unusual. They were both adults capable of making that choice in order to be with Prince.
[Edited 6/1/19 11:56am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #231 posted 06/01/19 11:32am

Strive

herb4 said:




herb4 said:




Strive said:




What do you think early Christians did?






[Snip - luv4u]




Holy shit. Fucking for real? I get snipped for pointing out the Crusades answering a question about early Christianity?

Nice honest, grounded discussion you've got going here.

If I happen to mention the Catholic church/preists molesting kids will I get a flame snip too?





The Crusades happened a thousand years after Christ and his disciples.

You should try taking a step back and realize how (needlessly) abrasive you're coming across here.
Free the music, fire Michael Howe
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #232 posted 06/01/19 12:05pm

Deadflow3r

avatar

violetcrush said:

Deadflow3r said:

I may be wrong, and if I am, please correct me. BRENDA Fuentes neither became a JW or Bria Valente until she met Prince and bith were his idea. The lyrics to Lotusflow3r were so clearly sexual, and the clothes that she wore were pretty normal for someone NOT a Jehovah's Witness, but absolutely not OK by JW standards ( skirts well above the knee and cleavage) that I had a huge issue THEN. That was almost EXACTLY ten years ago. At that time the org was filled with threads about the lyrics of Elixer were about oral sex and how is it even possible that P is not being spoken to about this by the elders. People get kicked out of that religion left and right( and when that happens the other JW's are prohibited from speaking to them.). It is pretty obvious that he was was sexual with Bria. Anyway I honestly felt bad for Bria. She converted to his religion, dressing the style that he always liked. She attempted to do everything right. Next thing, by 20ten,he starts going in a completely different dirrection. She married a JW, but I am not sure if that lasted. I will say this much: if anyone knows the truth about his involvement with the Jehovah'sWitnesses it is Bria Reese and she is one associate artist who isn't talking.
[Edited 6/1/19 10:15am]
[Edited 6/1/19 10:21am]

My guess is the “powers that be” at the JW headquarters “overlooked” some
facets of Prince’s lifestyle, because of the huge platform he had to promote their beliefs. Religious groups need to make money and also recruit more members. Prince was “witnessing” to thousands of people via the lyrics to many of his songs and at his concerts.
*
I thought I had read that Bria was already a JW when she began dating Prince? Didn’t Manuela convert for him as well when she married him? Not really that unusual. They were both adults capable of making that choice in order to be with Prince.
[Edited 6/1/19 11:56am]

Lol, Bria was absolutely an adult. She is older than Manuela and was well past 30. She was possibly the oldest person he or anybody else called a prodigy. To my memory he was at Bria's Baptism. My mention of her is because I do believe she spoke to him about their joint faith often ( as Prince was known to speak of his religion to anyone who would listen at the time) and she seemed to be still around as his beliefs changed.
There came a time when the risk of remaining tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Anais Nin.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #233 posted 06/01/19 12:18pm

violetcrush

Deadflow3r said:

violetcrush said:


My guess is the “powers that be” at the JW headquarters “overlooked” some
facets of Prince’s lifestyle, because of the huge platform he had to promote their beliefs. Religious groups need to make money and also recruit more members. Prince was “witnessing” to thousands of people via the lyrics to many of his songs and at his concerts.
*
I thought I had read that Bria was already a JW when she began dating Prince? Didn’t Manuela convert for him as well when she married him? Not really that unusual. They were both adults capable of making that choice in order to be with Prince.
[Edited 6/1/19 11:56am]

Lol, Bria was absolutely an adult. She is older than Manuela and was well past 30. She was possibly the oldest person he or anybody else called a prodigy. To my memory he was at Bria's Baptism. My mention of her is because I do believe she spoke to him about their joint faith often ( as Prince was known to speak of his religion to anyone who would listen at the time) and she seemed to be still around as his beliefs changed.

Are you sure about her age? I read that she first met Prince in 1998 at PP when she was 17, so that would put her at 27-28 when they dated - close enough to 30 I guess smile But, she did initially meet him 10 yrs earlier.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #234 posted 06/02/19 12:08pm

herb4

avatar

Strive said:

herb4 said:

Holy shit. Fucking for real? I get snipped for pointing out the Crusades answering a question about early Christianity?

Nice honest, grounded discussion you've got going here.

If I happen to mention the Catholic church/preists molesting kids will I get a flame snip too?



The Crusades happened a thousand years after Christ and his disciples. You should try taking a step back and realize how (needlessly) abrasive you're coming across here.


How?

By pointing out that people have historically used religion to justify slavery, genocide, imperialism and fascism?

Sorry if that seems abrasive.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #235 posted 06/03/19 6:13am

Deadflow3r

avatar

violetcrush said:

Deadflow3r said:


Lol, Bria was absolutely an adult. She is older than Manuela and was well past 30. She was possibly the oldest person he or anybody else called a prodigy. To my memory he was at Bria's Baptism. My mention of her is because I do believe she spoke to him about their joint faith often ( as Prince was known to speak of his religion to anyone who would listen at the time) and she seemed to be still around as his beliefs changed.

Are you sure about her age? I read that she first met Prince in 1998 at PP when she was 17, so that would put her at 27-28 when they dated - close enough to 30 I guess smile But, she did initially meet him 10 yrs earlier.
Bria Valente married a man whose last name is Reece and he is/was a JW. She often goes by Bria Reece, Bria Fuentes, or Bria Valente. She does not use the name Brenda and may have had it legally changed. She was born 12/ 22/ 1974 according to a source on the interner. I have looked up several people I know personally on that same site and the DOB was listed correctly in all but one. I remember hearing Bria's name being brought up often when Prince was spotted someplace with Larry Graham. Back in 2009, Prince was often seen with Larry, Bria, and Shelby. Shelby is a devout Christian but never was a JW. I truly believe that both Shelby and Bria are well aware of what Prince's spiritual and religious beliefs were and how they evolved. I believe that Bria was around him all the time during the time when hip surgery was badly needed. When people often say that religious discussions are not warrented when speaking of Prince, it is nobodies business. My response is that Prince spoke of God in more songs then any other Rock or Pop star that I know of. He spoke of God as often as Bruce Springsteen spoke of growing up in a blue collar town and therefore I think it is more than warranted.
[Edited 6/3/19 6:23am]
There came a time when the risk of remaining tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Anais Nin.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #236 posted 06/03/19 9:13am

violetcrush

Deadflow3r said:

violetcrush said:


Are you sure about her age? I read that she first met Prince in 1998 at PP when she was 17, so that would put her at 27-28 when they dated - close enough to 30 I guess smile But, she did initially meet him 10 yrs earlier.
Bria Valente married a man whose last name is Reece and he is/was a JW. She often goes by Bria Reece, Bria Fuentes, or Bria Valente. She does not use the name Brenda and may have had it legally changed. She was born 12/ 22/ 1974 according to a source on the interner. I have looked up several people I know personally on that same site and the DOB was listed correctly in all but one. I remember hearing Bria's name being brought up often when Prince was spotted someplace with Larry Graham. Back in 2009, Prince was often seen with Larry, Bria, and Shelby. Shelby is a devout Christian but never was a JW. I truly believe that both Shelby and Bria are well aware of what Prince's spiritual and religious beliefs were and how they evolved. I believe that Bria was around him all the time during the time when hip surgery was badly needed. When people often say that religious discussions are not warrented when speaking of Prince, it is nobodies business. My response is that Prince spoke of God in more songs then any other Rock or Pop star that I know of. He spoke of God as often as Bruce Springsteen spoke of growing up in a blue collar town and therefore I think it is more than warranted.
[Edited 6/3/19 6:23am]

Yes, as many of his longtime fans know, Prince was raised in a strict 7th Day Advent household, so he always believed in God, and the Christian faith based beliefs. However, his more general views of “God is love, and if you believe you will find a way out of any darkness” took a more drastic turn after meeting Larry Graham and joining JW. It went from “do you believe in God?” to “the JW way is the ONLY way, and if you don’t believe this and follow this you are wrong”. So, as Lisa Coleman stated “that a lot of people out”. He was no longer open to others’ ideas or beliefs, and even went so far as to criticize what version of the Bible others were using - this occurred at one of his NPGMC rehearsal sound checks.
*
So, he was alienating many fans during that time. Yes, Bria recorded and dated Prince in the 2008-2010 time frame. However, she first met him back in the late 90’s when one of his associates brought her to PP to meet him. Yes, I’m sure Bria and Shelby has many religious discussions with Prince - as did many others at that time. Questlove and many other friends/associates have talked about Prince’s multiple hours of discussion on his beliefs. He was witnessing to anyone who would listen, and via his music and concerts.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #237 posted 06/03/19 9:27am

PennyPurple

avatar

violetcrush said:



Yes, as many of his longtime fans know, Prince was raised in a strict 7th Day Advent household, so he always believed in God, and the Christian faith based beliefs. However, his more general views of “God is love, and if you believe you will find a way out of any darkness” took a more drastic turn after meeting Larry Graham and joining JW. It went from “do you believe in God?” to “the JW way is the ONLY way, and if you don’t believe this and follow this you are wrong”. So, as Lisa Coleman stated “that a lot of people out”. He was no longer open to others’ ideas or beliefs, and even went so far as to criticize what version of the Bible others were using - this occurred at one of his NPGMC rehearsal sound checks. * So, he was alienating many fans during that time. Yes, Bria recorded and dated Prince in the 2008-2010 time frame. However, she first met him back in the late 90’s when one of his associates brought her to PP to meet him. Yes, I’m sure Bria and Shelby has many religious discussions with Prince - as did many others at that time. Questlove and many other friends/associates have talked about Prince’s multiple hours of discussion on his beliefs. He was witnessing to anyone who would listen, and via his music and concerts.

Which household was he raised in that were strict 7th Day Adventist?

His Mom's? Who was married 3 times and 3 different baby daddies.

His Dad's? Who was married 2 times and kids with both wives.

His Aunt's?

His sister's?

Anderson's?

COME BACK RODEO COME BACK!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #238 posted 06/03/19 10:28am

Deadflow3r

avatar

violetcrush said:

Deadflow3r said:

Bria Valente married a man whose last name is Reece and he is/was a JW. She often goes by Bria Reece, Bria Fuentes, or Bria Valente. She does not use the name Brenda and may have had it legally changed. She was born 12/ 22/ 1974 according to a source on the interner. I have looked up several people I know personally on that same site and the DOB was listed correctly in all but one. I remember hearing Bria's name being brought up often when Prince was spotted someplace with Larry Graham. Back in 2009, Prince was often seen with Larry, Bria, and Shelby. Shelby is a devout Christian but never was a JW. I truly believe that both Shelby and Bria are well aware of what Prince's spiritual and religious beliefs were and how they evolved. I believe that Bria was around him all the time during the time when hip surgery was badly needed. When people often say that religious discussions are not warrented when speaking of Prince, it is nobodies business. My response is that Prince spoke of God in more songs then any other Rock or Pop star that I know of. He spoke of God as often as Bruce Springsteen spoke of growing up in a blue collar town and therefore I think it is more than warranted.
[Edited 6/3/19 6:23am]

Yes, as many of his longtime fans know, Prince was raised in a strict 7th Day Advent household, so he always believed in God, and the Christian faith based beliefs. However, his more general views of “God is love, and if you believe you will find a way out of any darkness” took a more drastic turn after meeting Larry Graham and joining JW. It went from “do you believe in God?” to “the JW way is the ONLY way, and if you don’t believe this and follow this you are wrong”. So, as Lisa Coleman stated “that a lot of people out”. He was no longer open to others’ ideas or beliefs, and even went so far as to criticize what version of the Bible others were using - this occurred at one of his NPGMC rehearsal sound checks.
*
So, he was alienating many fans during that time. Yes, Bria recorded and dated Prince in the 2008-2010 time frame. However, she first met him back in the late 90’s when one of his associates brought her to PP to meet him. Yes, I’m sure Bria and Shelby has many religious discussions with Prince - as did many others at that time. Questlove and many other friends/associates have talked about Prince’s multiple hours of discussion on his beliefs. He was witnessing to anyone who would listen, and via his music and concerts.

This may sound strange but you could say it was because of Prince that I began to study with the Jehovah's Witnesses at this time. I NEVER became a Baptized witness. You see I was going through some tough stuff and I felt very very alone. I have a hoarding problem which was not as well understood as a real problem in 2007 and 2008. I cried a lot about it. I also had custody of my daughter who was born in 2002. I felt enormously guilty. I was in a situation where my home was going to be inspected and I had to clean it immediately. Like many hoarders the first thing I did was feel the need to buy something. I went to Target looking for music that might be fun to clean with. I had never bought a Prince CD in my life.I did see the movie Purple Rain when it came out on the big screen but not his others. I liked his music when I heard it on the radio but I took it no further. Now I was in Target looking for upbeat music and the Prince Hits was the weekly special for $9.99 and I chose that. I wondered if the man was still playing music. Don't know what happened next but Prince was somehow in the news. Then I got a knock on my door and I answered it. It was not my therapist but the Jehovah's Witnesses. I looked them up on the internet and found out Prince was one, I took this as a sign or omen. As I said these were horrific times in my life and I started to attend meetings and learn as much as I could about them and their beliefs. People also came to my home to study. By the time Lotusflow3r came out I was pretty aware of what their views were on everything. Therefore I was quite shocked at his lyrics. Prince not only joined but took every single opportunity he had to remind people that he was a JW. The Rolling Stone interview that came out just before the release, awards shows you name it. If you are gonna be that loud about it it seemed to me you should maybe follow the long list of rules.
[Edited 6/3/19 10:33am]
There came a time when the risk of remaining tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Anais Nin.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #239 posted 06/03/19 10:35am

violetcrush

PennyPurple said:



violetcrush said:






Yes, as many of his longtime fans know, Prince was raised in a strict 7th Day Advent household, so he always believed in God, and the Christian faith based beliefs. However, his more general views of “God is love, and if you believe you will find a way out of any darkness” took a more drastic turn after meeting Larry Graham and joining JW. It went from “do you believe in God?” to “the JW way is the ONLY way, and if you don’t believe this and follow this you are wrong”. So, as Lisa Coleman stated “that a lot of people out”. He was no longer open to others’ ideas or beliefs, and even went so far as to criticize what version of the Bible others were using - this occurred at one of his NPGMC rehearsal sound checks. * So, he was alienating many fans during that time. Yes, Bria recorded and dated Prince in the 2008-2010 time frame. However, she first met him back in the late 90’s when one of his associates brought her to PP to meet him. Yes, I’m sure Bria and Shelby has many religious discussions with Prince - as did many others at that time. Questlove and many other friends/associates have talked about Prince’s multiple hours of discussion on his beliefs. He was witnessing to anyone who would listen, and via his music and concerts.

Which household was he raised in that were strict 7th Day Adventist?


His Mom's? Who was married 3 times and 3 different baby daddies.


His Dad's? Who was married 2 times and kids with both wives.


His Aunt's?


His sister's?


Anderson's?


He was at his first house with Tyka until he was 12yrs old. Regardless of his parents’ marriages/relationships and kids prior to his birth - it has been well documented that Prince regularly attended the 7th Day Adventist church services as a younger child. He talked specifically about it during his interview with Chris Rock in 1996. Regardless of any contradictions with his parents’ actions and their religious affiliation, Prince was first introduced to the Christian beliefs in that household. Those beliefs carried on through his life and music in various forms.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > unusual actions by Jehovah Witness