independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 22nd Nov 2019 10:20am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Is it safe to say Batman is one of Prince's best 80s albums?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 09/27/18 5:43am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

It has the possibilities of being a better album

I wish he was not working on/toward Graffiti Bridge at the time

I wish he devoted more time to promoting it. I wouldn't need a tour to promote it like the Nude Tour

But doing shows, like the SNL show, with that band.

And again the background, the unreleased stuff adds to the hype: Dance With the Devil, Me Touch Myself etc 18(R U Legal Yet?) feels like it's a part of this

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 09/27/18 9:16am

PliablyPurple

No, it's not safe to say that. In fact, you probably just cut off five years from your life expectancy.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 09/27/18 9:52am

Empress

Good album, but not one of his best IMO.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 09/27/18 11:48am

databank

avatar

It might have been the first Prince album since, well, at the very least 1999 if not earlier, to have a few things that sounded a tiny bit generic, which might be why it's usually considered slightly inferior to it's predecessors. And while brilliant, Batdance may have been the first time where Prince blatantly chased a trend (in this case house music) instead of making the trend. It was also some kind of a return to form after 5 years of Prince expanding his sound palette, Batman sounded like a brutal return to the more barebone sound of his earlier minneapolis sound, even though there was more toitthan met the eye (or, more accurately, the ear). On the other hand, I think the idiosyncracy of the industrial funk atmosphere and particularly creative drum machine patterns that appeared on some tracks (mostly The Future, Tust and Lemon Crush, as well as some other 1989 tracks such as Shall We Dance) was dramatically overlooked at the time, maybe because it was dissolved in a more predictable Prince aesthetic.

So IDK what "best" means but if you aim at comparing it to other 80's Prince albums, I'd be tempted to say no: his run from 1999 to Lovesexy was so insanely, uniquely strong and original that Batman may have sounded a bit bland at the time, by comparison. Regardless, as with most Prince records, it remains a very strong record in the absolute. But it's a little less radical and makes a few more compromises than what had come before.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home

I apologize for every time I offended someone when debates got "heated". Love y'all yes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 09/27/18 12:05pm

KoolEaze

avatar

SignOthetimes1987 said:

Batman is his weakest 80s album in my opinion.

It felt like a light outs after a flawless run of classics, Dirty Mind-Lovesexy.

I was so dissapointed and to this day it's one my least played P albums.

It took me years to get into it. I hated the Batman hype around the time the album and film came out even though I would consider myself a Batman fan of the comicbooks.

I liked Partyman and The Future but a couple of years later I learned to appreciate the album. Still don´t like the era or phase though.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 09/27/18 1:02pm

feeluupp

avatar

databank said:

It might have been the first Prince album since, well, at the very least 1999 if not earlier, to have a few things that sounded a tiny bit generic, which might be why it's usually considered slightly inferior to it's predecessors. And while brilliant, Batdance may have been the first time where Prince blatantly chased a trend (in this case house music) instead of making the trend. It was also some kind of a return to form after 5 years of Prince expanding his sound palette, Batman sounded like a brutal return to the more barebone sound of his earlier minneapolis sound, even though there was more toitthan met the eye (or, more accurately, the ear). On the other hand, I think the idiosyncracy of the industrial funk atmosphere and particularly creative drum machine patterns that appeared on some tracks (mostly The Future, Tust and Lemon Crush, as well as some other 1989 tracks such as Shall We Dance) was dramatically overlooked at the time, maybe because it was dissolved in a more predictable Prince aesthetic.

So IDK what "best" means but if you aim at comparing it to other 80's Prince albums, I'd be tempted to say no: his run from 1999 to Lovesexy was so insanely, uniquely strong and original that Batman may have sounded a bit bland at the time, by comparison. Regardless, as with most Prince records, it remains a very strong record in the absolute. But it's a little less radical and makes a few more compromises than what had come before.

Couldn't have said it better...

But to substitute BEST with GENIUS... I think would be more clarity... His 80's albums were genius, 1999 - LOVESEXY were all genius albums or albums with many genius traits upon the album. BATMAN was Prince being attached to a commercial smash due to the movie and tried his best to contribute tracks that would some way "fit" in or with the movie... So that being said I believe Prince's creativity wasn't 100% "free" for this album due to the concept of the movie being attached, obviously the project he was working on before BATMAN was Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic, but by that being said, I think BATMAN is an average album, it's not a great album, it has great moments, but it is not his "BEST" at least in my opinion. I agree this was the biggest example of Prince beginning to chase trends however BATMAN as a whole is very average and really doesn't compare to works like 1999, PURPLE RAIN, SOTT, PARADE, etc...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 09/27/18 1:04pm

feeluupp

avatar

The paradox of this though, as it wasn't his best release of the 80's... To be honest I'd choose this album over a lot of his 90's albums, if not almost all of them.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 09/27/18 1:09pm

feeluupp

avatar

I think the real "issue" with BATMAN as many fans have agreed it's one of his "worst" albums out of the 80's masterpieces, is the fact it wasn't really his project fully... Yes he had all the creative control to come up with all the songs, writings, music for the film, but don't forget it was for the FILM... You could see each and every song on that album was written for a conceptual fact taht it had to fit the film or mood or tone of the film in some way... With the exception of Vicki Waiting which was reworked a little from the original Anna Waiting... You could see it was a contrast of Prince creating music for a conceptual album like he always does vs creating music to fit the tone for a film. Which in my opinion is why the BATMAN album is a completely average album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 09/27/18 6:24pm

GiggityGoo

avatar

feeluupp said:

The paradox of this though, as it wasn't his best release of the 80's... To be honest I'd choose this album over a lot of his 90's albums, if not almost all of them.

.

I second that. And it's miles above most of his 2000's output, in my opinion.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 09/28/18 2:51am

Purplegarden

Lianachan said:

Purplegarden said:

It is about as safe as being a Orthdox Jewish evangelist in Iran outside the Ayatollah Khomeini mosque in downtown Zahedan.

.

I rank it in DISTANT last place for the 80s, on my scale the marks out of 100 for each 80s album are

.

1. Sign o the Times - 98.3

2. Purple Rain - 95.6

3. Parade - 94.4

4. 1999 - 92.5

5. Lovesexy 91.1

6. Dirty Mind 90.0

7. ATWAID 85.6

8. Controversy 82.5

9. Black Album 76.3

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

10. Batman 60.0

.

Electric Chair, Future and Scandalous are great songs, Batdance, Partyman are good songs

Trust, Vicki Waiting are meh! to poor, Lemon Crush and Arms of Orion are the very worst songs he ever made on the same level as Da da da, The Plan, The Flow and Boytrouble.


I'm curious how your scale works. Those ratings are extremely precise.

I take every song on a Prince album over 90 seconds in length and exclude all Segues, skits, songettes of under 90 secs and NPG Operators and Affirmations and give these items a number out of 10. The number is a whole number from 1 to 10.

.

I don't do 0 as each song is at least a sign of work and they get 1 point for the fuss of making it.

Then all the marks are added together. Say Dirty Mind has 8 tracks and the song marks = 72.

.

I take the 72/80 and change that to a percent out of 100 which makes it 90.0

Black Album got 76.3, that is because it got 61 marks out of 80 = 76.25% and I round everything to one decimal place.

.

Parade got 94.4 as it got 113/120 and this is 94.33% etc.

.

Batman only got a score of 54 points out of 90 and thus gets 60.0.

.

Lust the bit about the evangelist was to create context and example of extreme polar opposition to the ops statement. No offense was intended towards either Jewish or Muslim people.

[Edited 9/28/18 2:52am]

This is the place where emotions grow. 24 Feelings all in a row, its alright, its alright
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 09/28/18 5:19am

jaawwnn

avatar

Purplegarden said:

Lianachan said:


I'm curious how your scale works. Those ratings are extremely precise.

I take every song on a Prince album over 90 seconds in length and exclude all Segues, skits, songettes of under 90 secs and NPG Operators and Affirmations and give these items a number out of 10. The number is a whole number from 1 to 10.

.

I don't do 0 as each song is at least a sign of work and they get 1 point for the fuss of making it.

Then all the marks are added together. Say Dirty Mind has 8 tracks and the song marks = 72.

.

I take the 72/80 and change that to a percent out of 100 which makes it 90.0

Black Album got 76.3, that is because it got 61 marks out of 80 = 76.25% and I round everything to one decimal place.

.

Parade got 94.4 as it got 113/120 and this is 94.33% etc.

.

Batman only got a score of 54 points out of 90 and thus gets 60.0.

.

Lust the bit about the evangelist was to create context and example of extreme polar opposition to the ops statement. No offense was intended towards either Jewish or Muslim people.

[Edited 9/28/18 2:52am]

No bonus points for an album that's more than the sum of its parts? or takeaways for the opposite?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 09/28/18 6:30am

djdaffy1227

avatar

It's safe to say it is at least in the top 10 of his 80's albums lol lol lol

Making love and music are the only things worth fighting for.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 09/28/18 6:58am

hw3004

SoftSkarlettLovisa said:

I love the Batman album by Prince. The songs are quirky and rock n' roll. Even the music videos are excellent ("Partyman"). Your thoughts?

Batman is, if I'm being generous, a bit of a mixed bag. By no means a disaster, but it pales compares to earlier works. The Future and Electric Chair are excellent. Dance With The Devil, 200 Balloons and I Love U In Me suggest that there was a "better" album that could have been released in 1989.

If I'm being harsh, the best thing about it is the "punchline" it provides in Sean Of The Dead.

All just my opinion of course. If you love it, who really cares what anyone else thinks!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 09/28/18 7:14am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

No automatic alt text available. Image may contain: 1 person, text Image may contain: one or more people, selfie and closeup Image may contain: one or more people and people standing

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 09/28/18 7:17am

Poplife88

avatar

It's a fun album...and The Future, Electric Chair, and Vicki Waiting are 3 of my all time favorite Prince tracks. But compared to other 80s album it doesn't quite rank up there.

We're gonna need a bigger boat
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 09/28/18 7:26am

rdhull

avatar

No it isnt. Its been revered in the past decades is all. Its one of the first albums where it seemed he was uninspired. By that, songs he could do in his sleep. It, like damn near everything he has done, has been romanticized. This was the album where the Prince magic was cracked. The lyrics in some of the songs, omg. Trust (trying to remake Baby Im A Star cause they used BIAS in the filming), Lemon Crush (my fav)..jobba..etc lmao gawd. Lazy assed lyrics. Partyman..rock a party like, nobody can? Thats some june/moon tripe right there. So is it safe to say its one of his best 80's albums? No. Its one of the worst. It was his first B album of the 80s. And fittingly, the last release of the 80's.

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 09/28/18 11:02am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

200 Balloons (@ 2:59min...that is Boni Boyer right?)

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 09/28/18 11:24am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

If I did a Batman deluxe release, this would be the album cover

.

.

The Future

.

Electric Chair

.

200 Balloons

.

18(R U Legal Yet?)

.

We've Got the Power

.

God Is Alive

.

The Line

.

Dance With the Devil

.

Me Touch Myself

.

Sex

.

Feel U Up

.

Vicki Waiting

.

Pink Cashmere

.

Scandalous

.

Batdance

.

.

I would release Batdance as a B side to 200 Balloons,

I would have God Is Alive/Dance With the Devil as A/B sides singles

15965187_1226085127444679_53614480144560516_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&oh=697898be0b813064f53eadcfee4fa495&oe=5C556DDB

  • "Who do U trust if U can't trust God, who can U trust? ..Nobody! Don't dance with the devil in the pale moonlight. The curious try and always die.""

13932663_1070682232984970_1862577511186735129_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&oh=be89b6e5b3ca8dd6d7241559881b4166&oe=5C20D9A7

with this band (too bad Cat was gone)

17155837_1278885415497983_6334852801381182685_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&oh=d8a65960a1c70cde2f9b7335be9f6905&oe=5C197845

[Edited 10/2/18 5:42am]

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 09/28/18 5:18pm

slida23

For me it's not his best because I feel the songs I don't care for are super weak, Trust, Partyman, and Arms of Orion. I think Batdance, Scandalous, Vicki's Waiting, and Electric Chair are some of his best songs, and Lemon Crush is just a slight tier below. The Future is decent. He was doing some interesting things in this period but the Graffit Bridge debacle sent him off in a different direction for the nineties.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 09/28/18 6:41pm

spacedolphin

avatar

Safe as houses

music Don't wanna be an American idiot music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 09/28/18 11:59pm

databank

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

with this band (too bad Cat was gone)

17155837_1278885415497983_6334852801381182685_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&oh=d8a65960a1c70cde2f9b7335be9f6905&oe=5C197845

I actually wanted to create a thread about that: do we know anything about why and how Patrice Rushen ended-up in the band on this occasion, and whether there were ever any talks of her joining the band permanently? I know Prince and her were kinda friends in the For You era and they probably kept in touch, but she was totally out of the picture for a decade and then boom! here she is!

.

It's kinda funny because here you had Margie and Patrice acting as replacement for Bonnie and then they were both replaced by Rosie.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home

I apologize for every time I offended someone when debates got "heated". Love y'all yes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 09/29/18 1:55am

Purplegarden

jaawwnn said:

Purplegarden said:

I take every song on a Prince album over 90 seconds in length and exclude all Segues, skits, songettes of under 90 secs and NPG Operators and Affirmations and give these items a number out of 10. The number is a whole number from 1 to 10.

.

I don't do 0 as each song is at least a sign of work and they get 1 point for the fuss of making it.

Then all the marks are added together. Say Dirty Mind has 8 tracks and the song marks = 72.

.

I take the 72/80 and change that to a percent out of 100 which makes it 90.0

Black Album got 76.3, that is because it got 61 marks out of 80 = 76.25% and I round everything to one decimal place.

.

Parade got 94.4 as it got 113/120 and this is 94.33% etc.

.

Batman only got a score of 54 points out of 90 and thus gets 60.0.

.

Lust the bit about the evangelist was to create context and example of extreme polar opposition to the ops statement. No offense was intended towards either Jewish or Muslim people.

[Edited 9/28/18 2:52am]

No bonus points for an album that's more than the sum of its parts? or takeaways for the opposite?

Nope - my system, my rules. And even if I was marking for sequencing and sum of parts, what percentage of the mark in addition to track ratings, an album with only 8 tight tracks like Dirty Mind is always be at advantage there compared to a sprawling opus like Love Symbol of TGE, whichj would get amrked down for the stupid segues and NPG Operators disrupting the flow.

This is the place where emotions grow. 24 Feelings all in a row, its alright, its alright
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 10/01/18 8:23am

jaawwnn

avatar

Purplegarden said:

jaawwnn said:

No bonus points for an album that's more than the sum of its parts? or takeaways for the opposite?

Nope - my system, my rules. And even if I was marking for sequencing and sum of parts, what percentage of the mark in addition to track ratings, an album with only 8 tight tracks like Dirty Mind is always be at advantage there compared to a sprawling opus like Love Symbol of TGE, whichj would get amrked down for the stupid segues and NPG Operators disrupting the flow.

Just wondering is all. If I was to mark Parade myself using your method it'd probably get around an 8, but i'd bump it up to 10 anyway, because it's my fav Prince album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 10/01/18 12:55pm

PeteSilas

that's right, it's a non-proselytizing relgion, wish some of the other sects were that way. The last thing Jews wanted as a persecuted group was attention.

lust said:

Purplegarden said:

It is about as safe as being a Orthdox Jewish evangelist in Iran outside the Ayatollah Khomeini mosque in downtown Zahedan.

.

I rank it in DISTANT last place for the 80s, on my scale the marks out of 100 for each 80s album are

.

1. Sign o the Times - 98.3

2. Purple Rain - 95.6

3. Parade - 94.4

4. 1999 - 92.5

5. Lovesexy 91.1

6. Dirty Mind 90.0

7. ATWAID 85.6

8. Controversy 82.5

9. Black Album 76.3

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

10. Batman 60.0

.

Electric Chair, Future and Scandalous are great songs, Batdance, Partyman are good songs

Trust, Vicki Waiting are meh! to poor, Lemon Crush and Arms of Orion are the very worst songs he ever made on the same level as Da da da, The Plan, The Flow and Boytrouble.


I'm curious how your scale works. Those ratings are extremely precise.

There’s no such thing as Jewish evangelism!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 10/01/18 2:12pm

luvsexy4all

did they ever do a show with the sNL appearance band?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 10/01/18 2:34pm

42Kristen

Prince had quite a few good songs and albums out in the '80's

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 10/01/18 4:05pm

Number23

Lianachan said:

Purplegarden said:

It is about as safe as being a Orthdox Jewish evangelist in Iran outside the Ayatollah Khomeini mosque in downtown Zahedan.

.

I rank it in DISTANT last place for the 80s, on my scale the marks out of 100 for each 80s album are

.

1. Sign o the Times - 98.3

2. Purple Rain - 95.6

3. Parade - 94.4

4. 1999 - 92.5

5. Lovesexy 91.1

6. Dirty Mind 90.0

7. ATWAID 85.6

8. Controversy 82.5

9. Black Album 76.3

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

10. Batman 60.0

.

Electric Chair, Future and Scandalous are great songs, Batdance, Partyman are good songs

Trust, Vicki Waiting are meh! to poor, Lemon Crush and Arms of Orion are the very worst songs he ever made on the same level as Da da da, The Plan, The Flow and Boytrouble.


I'm curious how your scale works. Those ratings are extremely precise.

Like an old computer game magazine lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 10/01/18 4:19pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

did they ever do a show with the sNL appearance band?


Probably not. Patrice Rushen was in there temporarily until Rosie came along and took the keyboard role. And aside from Damon, Kirk, and whatshisfuckingface, the rest were intact. Fink, Bland, Seacer, Weaver, and Dulfer (which was in and out around that time but I am not sure she toured on The Nude Tour, off hand).

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 10/01/18 4:44pm

TrevorAyer

OldFriends4Sale said:



If I did a Batman deluxe release, this would be the album cover


.


.



The Future


.


Electric Chair


.


200 Balloons


.


18(R U Legal Yet?)


.


We've Got the Power


.


God Is Alive


.


The Line


.


Dance With the Devil


.


Me Touch Myself


.


Feel U Up


.


Vicki Waiting


.


Pink Cashmere


.


Scandalous


.


Batdance


.


.



Where is SEX? One of his best tunes from this era
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 10/01/18 5:06pm

kewlschool

avatar

Image result for tumbleweed gif

99.9% of everything I say is strictly for my own entertainment
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Is it safe to say Batman is one of Prince's best 80s albums?