independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 20th Jul 2019 9:12pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Video - 4U - A Symphonic Celebration of PRINCE
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 08/14/18 4:09pm

PennyPurple

avatar

precioux said:

PennyPurple said:

I wish you were here to go with me!

Those boots you have are pretty sexy, that lead singer of the tribute band will be eyeing those. lol

biggrin Don’t even ask how or why my post showed up crazy like that! Sorry

I figured it out. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 08/14/18 8:34pm

Latin

Consequence of Sound has published the following article entitled "Questlove curates symphonic Prince tribute tour".

"4U: A Symphonic Celebration of Prince also features contributions from musician Miguel Atwood-Ferguson and arranger Brent Fischer"

Here it is:

https://consequenceofsoun...bute-tour/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 08/15/18 6:36am

AnnaSantana

Questlove is a jerk...

Do you know what he said when someone asked him on Twitter why there won't be any 90s and beyond songs in the show?

"Because I want it to be good, duh"


Snobbish asshole.
finger DONALD TRUMP
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 08/15/18 8:03am

Genesia

avatar

I will be in the first row of the balcony for the Milwaukee show in October.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 08/15/18 8:16am

PennyPurple

avatar

Genesia said:

I will be in the first row of the balcony for the Milwaukee show in October.

That's cool. Let us know how it is!! Yay! Happy for you!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 08/15/18 8:35am

Kares

avatar

So... apparently they've managed to produce a promotional video for a concert tour without including even just a snippet of the actual music that will be played in concert? Unbelievable... biggrin

.

But the whole idea stinks big time. Symphonic arrangements of rock/pop music? That's about the lamest idea they could come up with. I really wish the Estate would start focusing on a proper release-program for the vault material, instead of exploiting Prince's legacy with fishy projects like these.
.

And that Questlove quote is making me seriously reconsider my opinion on him. He's out of his mind if he thinks Prince stopped producing great music in 1989.

.

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 08/15/18 6:59pm

rdhull

avatar

AnnaSantana said:

Questlove is a jerk... Do you know what he said when someone asked him on Twitter why there won't be any 90s and beyond songs in the show? "Because I want it to be good, duh" Snobbish asshole.

He aint lyin' though. Nobody tryna hear no damn Freaks On This Side or Chelsea Rodgers.

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 08/15/18 8:32pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

rdhull said:

AnnaSantana said:

Questlove is a jerk... Do you know what he said when someone asked him on Twitter why there won't be any 90s and beyond songs in the show? "Because I want it to be good, duh" Snobbish asshole.

He aint lyin' though. Nobody tryna hear no damn Freaks On This Side or Chelsea Rodgers.

lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 08/15/18 8:36pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

My nephew bought me tickets to this in another city 2 hours away from where I live when they will be playing in our hometown the day after.

And it is on a Monday night.

I dont want to appear ungrateful but WTF nephew?

Why would I drive two hours on a Monday to see this when I could see this in our city the next day?

I dont know what to do.

eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 08/16/18 4:20pm

kingricefan

Give me the tix! razz

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

My nephew bought me tickets to this in another city 2 hours away from where I live when they will be playing in our hometown the day after.

And it is on a Monday night.

I dont want to appear ungrateful but WTF nephew?

Why would I drive two hours on a Monday to see this when I could see this in our city the next day?

I dont know what to do.

eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/18/18 7:03pm

Latin

Check out this official posting on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com...oLvzSjN4_/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/19/18 4:46pm

000000

I will support ...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/19/18 5:15pm

SkipperLove

Yeah, because there is nothing better than Freaks on the Side or Chelsea Rogers in the last 28 years? Really, are we to assume that an symphonic version of Annie Christian or It would sound better than And God Created Women, the Dance, or Joy in Repetition??


Yeah, that was snobbish. The man doesn't like to be challenged. He could be more gracious and state that he has to stick to the classics because they are great and what people know and obsure gems couldn't work due to lack of a fan base. Even he once admitted (somewhat begrudgedly) that there were 40 great songs in the post-80's years and that he was a big fan of the Truth album.

rdhull said:

AnnaSantana said:

Questlove is a jerk... Do you know what he said when someone asked him on Twitter why there won't be any 90s and beyond songs in the show? "Because I want it to be good, duh" Snobbish asshole.

He aint lyin' though. Nobody tryna hear no damn Freaks On This Side or Chelsea Rodgers.

[Edited 8/19/18 17:17pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 08/19/18 5:28pm

SkipperLove

I have no interest in symphonic versions of his music either. I imagine it will sound stripped of all of its funk (unless it was extremely reliant on horns) .. If they focused on his slow jam melodies, it might work but if it is all 80s...ugh. Can you imagine how boring and sexless a symphonic version of 1999 or Erotic City would be. Maybe they will come up with some unique arrangements, but if they are staying only to the tried and true, I think it will just sound like symphonic karoake. I hope I am wrong.

Kares said:

So... apparently they've managed to produce a promotional video for a concert tour without including even just a snippet of the actual music that will be played in concert? Unbelievable... biggrin

.

But the whole idea stinks big time. Symphonic arrangements of rock/pop music? That's about the lamest idea they could come up with. I really wish the Estate would start focusing on a proper release-program for the vault material, instead of exploiting Prince's legacy with fishy projects like these.
.

And that Questlove quote is making me seriously reconsider my opinion on him. He's out of his mind if he thinks Prince stopped producing great music in 1989.

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 08/19/18 8:11pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

kingricefan said:

Give me the tix! razz

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

My nephew bought me tickets to this in another city 2 hours away from where I live when they will be playing in our hometown the day after.

And it is on a Monday night.

I dont want to appear ungrateful but WTF nephew?

Why would I drive two hours on a Monday to see this when I could see this in our city the next day?

I dont know what to do.

eek

If you live near where I live, I will!

lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 08/20/18 10:52am

kingricefan

I'm in Spokane, WA so I'm sure we're miles away from each other. Thanks for the offer though! biggrin

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

kingricefan said:

Give me the tix! razz

If you live near where I live, I will!

lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 08/21/18 6:21pm

bonatoc

avatar

Asenath said:

darkroman said:

I hope people boycott this vile exploitation of Prince's legacy.

It's crude and nasty and just not needed.


sad

You don't think having a full orchestra play Prince music sounds a bit interestsing?

I know that is ultimately about making money, but I also think in addition to his regular following; that maybe it will spark the interest of the orchestra crowd and just expand his legacy and sphere of influence. I am really intrigued with how they will intrepret some of his songs. Would you be willing to elaborate a bit about why you see this as an exploitation of his legacy? You don't think it would appreciate the public supporting "real musicians" ?


Nope. It's been done. (more here).
And again. And again (this one is pure nightmare).

This just looks like a pseudo-cultural, intellectual version of the Elvis hologram on tour.
Art seems to have very little to do with it. They want to sell tickets, it's so obvious from the ad,
plus we don't get to hear a single note from the orchestra. That alone smells of hastiness.

It's going to take one hell of an arranger to shut me up.
I hope he will, but the aforementioned mezzoforte fiascos don't augur well.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 08/23/18 1:22am

Asenath

bonatoc said:



Asenath said:




darkroman said:


I hope people boycott this vile exploitation of Prince's legacy.

It's crude and nasty and just not needed.


sad




You don't think having a full orchestra play Prince music sounds a bit interestsing?

I know that is ultimately about making money, but I also think in addition to his regular following; that maybe it will spark the interest of the orchestra crowd and just expand his legacy and sphere of influence. I am really intrigued with how they will intrepret some of his songs. Would you be willing to elaborate a bit about why you see this as an exploitation of his legacy? You don't think it would appreciate the public supporting "real musicians" ?




Nope. It's been done. (more here).
And again. And again (this one is pure nightmare).

This just looks like a pseudo-cultural, intellectual version of the Elvis hologram on tour.
Art seems to have very little to do with it. They want to sell tickets, it's so obvious from the ad,
plus we don't get to hear a single note from the orchestra. That alone smells of hastiness.

It's going to take one hell of an arranger to shut me up.
I hope he will, but the aforementioned mezzoforte fiascos don't augur well.



I dig it. Call me weird https://youtu.be/JAk1ncD5RmY
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 08/23/18 10:42pm

Latin

"The #4UPrince tour starts in just 2️⃣ weeks!
Get ready to party like it’s 1999 and get your tickets from the link in our bio."

https://www.instagram.com...1Lt-zjfIo/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 08/28/18 10:33am

RJP1205

They've been promoting this several times a day here on the radio at work...I think I'm going to have to go!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 08/28/18 5:14pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

AnnaSantana said:

Questlove is a jerk...

Do you know what he said when someone asked him on Twitter why there won't be any 90s and beyond songs in the show?

"Because I want it to be good, duh"


Snobbish asshole.


lol

Thank god! Now I really have to get tickets!
Persistent Turd is the shit.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 08/28/18 6:01pm

sexton

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:


AnnaSantana said:

Questlove is a jerk... Do you know what he said when someone asked him on Twitter why there won't be any 90s and beyond songs in the show? "Because I want it to be good, duh" Snobbish asshole.
lol Thank god! Now I really have to get tickets!


That was my feeling when someone earlier said the whole thing was "crude and nasty". These detractors are doing a great job of selling this tour. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 09/05/18 9:04pm

Latin

Today, The News & Observer published the following article entitled "This Prince celebration will take you on a journey through the late singer’s catalog":

http://amp.newsobserver.c...29815.html
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 09/06/18 7:05am

Lovejunky

avatar

I hope the Estate releases a recording of this...

I will reveal to you that the first song of the set is “Controversy.” The bridge of “Controversy” is in E-flat minor. What song could I segue that is in E-flat minor? So I had choices. I could have used “Computer Blue.” I could have chosen “Erotic City.” I could have chosen “Automatic.” But for some reason there’s an arrangement of “Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)” that he started to do maybe a month before the “Purple Rain” album came out, so this is like June of 1984, and because it’s more fleshed out, more arranged, that’s what I went with. Even then when I’m choosing songs, I’m not thinking of just the album version. For a lot of his live arrangements, there’s a lot of references. Like the 1984 version of “When Doves Cry” is way different than the ’86 version and the ’87 version and the ’92 version. Even then, I’m making references to how he performed it live when making decisions on what gets chosen.QUESTLOVE

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 09/06/18 7:40am

RJP1205

I cannot wait for this show! Ordered my tickets over the weekend.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 09/06/18 8:01am

Genesia

avatar

I am mostly hoping for I Wonder U with Clare Fischer's string arrangement. beg

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 09/06/18 8:31am

Lovejunky

avatar

RJP1205 said:

I cannot wait for this show! Ordered my tickets over the weekend.

Looking forward to hearing all about it from you

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 09/06/18 1:14pm

Latin

Genesia said:

I am mostly hoping for I Wonder U with Clare Fischer's string arrangement. beg


thumbs up!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 09/06/18 1:48pm

bonatoc

avatar

Latin said:

Genesia said:

I am mostly hoping for I Wonder U with Clare Fischer's string arrangement. beg

thumbs up!



Precisely my rant.
Where's Brent Fischer?

Do you think Questlove is par to Brent's father as an arranger?
Hope I'm wrong for those willing to go. But if there is someone up to the task, that's Brent.
And where is the AOA Way Back Ensemble? The Estate is run by people who don't even understand, let alone grasp Prince's work.

[Edited 9/6/18 14:33pm]

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 09/06/18 2:29pm

Latin

bonatoc said:



Latin said:


Genesia said:

I am mostly hoping for I Wonder U with Clare Fischer's string arrangement. beg



thumbs up!



Precisely my rant.
Where's Brett Fischer?

Do you think Questlove is par to Brett's father as an arranger?
Hope I'm wrong for those willing to go. But if there is someone up to the task, that's Brett.
And where is the AOA Way Back Ensemble? The Estate is run by people who don't even understand, let alone grasp Prince's work.


Brent Fischer is involved as an arranger. Please see details in the articles posted on this thread in reply #5 and #27.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Video - 4U - A Symphonic Celebration of PRINCE