independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 10th Dec 2019 10:09am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > All of My Dreams
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/08/16 5:44pm

aaroncanderson

avatar

All of My Dreams

Recently discovered this gem. It's criminal this song is still in the Vault. I think Parade is an amazing album could you imagine if this song was on it? Yeezus friggin Chris! Imma put this song on repeat until the war is over...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/08/16 5:50pm

IstenSzek

avatar

this is why prince would have been THE artist to release expanded remasters of his albums.

can you imagine how much talk there would have been about his 'unreleased songs' from all

of his 80s albums/era's?

i never quite understood why prince said he was sort of unhappy with parade or that he did

not have enough good material ready when he was making the album. i mean, come on. he

just cut 'old friends 4 sale' and 'all my dreams' off it. wow. plus 'others here with us', which
i like a lot. chuck in 'alexa de paris' and 'an honest man' and 'sexual suicide' and just WOW.

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/08/16 6:37pm

warning2all

I always thought those comments were meant to be a Shot at the Revolution- namely Wendy & Lisa.

Because that Era is jam-packed with Top Shelf music.

A compilation of "Parade"-Era Vault music blows stuff like "Phase One" our of the water!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/08/16 6:45pm

paulludvig

It's a bit overrated. A Hollywood pastiche.

The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/08/16 6:59pm

purplepolitici
an

avatar

Best ending ever in life nod. The rest is pretty decent also thumbs up!.
If you can understand my color
Put your hand in your crotch
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/08/16 7:16pm

kenkamken

avatar

Brilliant! It's a shame that this and many other songs still languish in obscurity.
"So fierce U look 2night, the brightest star pales 2 Ur sex..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/08/16 7:24pm

iZsaZsa

avatar

This song is a trip. cool
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/08/16 7:53pm

214

paulludvig said:

It's a bit overrated. A Hollywood pastiche.

No, it's a great song. Really wonderful.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/08/16 8:49pm

breakdown2k14

avatar

Its a great song but I think it needs to be 2 minutes shorter. I don't care much about the Lisa and wendy stuff about "painting the side of the train".
There's Joy in repetition
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/09/16 3:04am

fabriziovenera
ndi

avatar

One of my favorite (sigh)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/09/16 3:28am

McD

avatar

breakdown2k14 said:

Its a great song but I think it needs to be 2 minutes shorter. I don't care much about the Lisa and wendy stuff about "painting the side of the train".


I think an official release (at the time) probably would have been shortened, but it's worth that two minute wander just for the song to spectacularly collapse back into itself for the finale.

One of the best tracks he ever did.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/09/16 3:32am

Pentacle

warning2all said:

A compilation of "Parade"-Era Vault music blows stuff like "Phase One" our of the water!


Eh, obiously....

Stop the Prince Apologists ™
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/09/16 3:37am

Scarfo

"All My Dreams" would had fir perfectly on "Parade"! It captured the sound and feel of the movie, "Under the Cherry Moon", and it had an catchy chrous and hook to it. I agree, it's criminal this and Alexis de Paris was left off Parade. I find it so comical, that Prince is basically begging to release his crappy "HitnRun Crap Phases", that only sell about 7,000 copies worldwide, when he could release remasters of his hit albums with unrelease tracks that would sell MILLIONS! Prince is an true dumbass when it comes to making career business decisions.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/09/16 3:45am

skipthecharade
s

Scarfo said:

"All My Dreams" would had fir perfectly on "Parade"! It captured the sound and feel of the movie, "Under the Cherry Moon", and it had an catchy chrous and hook to it. I agree, it's criminal this and Alexis de Paris was left off Parade. I find it so comical, that Prince is basically begging to release his crappy "HitnRun Crap Phases", that only sell about 7,000 copies worldwide, when he could release remasters of his hit albums with unrelease tracks that would sell MILLIONS! Prince is an true dumbass when it comes to making career business decisions.

Let's just hope for some of these unreleased tracks to appear on new HnR albums.

I wonder what would sell more: another HnR album including some of these Vault tracks, or a remaster with those songs as bonus tracks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/09/16 4:04am

MattyJam

avatar

Not only my all time favourite Prince song, but my all time favourite song ever by anyone.

Definition of the word masterpiece.

I will add that I always felt that the reason it was omitted from Parade was because it was quite obviously an album closer, as was Sometimes It Snows In April. I couldn't see either of those tracks slotting in anywhere other than at the end of the album, which was perhaps why Prince left it off.

[Edited 1/9/16 4:06am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/09/16 4:32am

databank

avatar

It's a gem. Thankfully we have it with perfect sound but it'd be great if it was in the canon one day.

Regarding P's feelings towards Parade I wonder how he views it today, I wouldn't be surprised if he acknowledged that it was a great album and if not, I'd love him to elaborate.

I'm always surprised at how journalists never, ever address anything from his past career in interviews, it's always the same current, often boring topics (the new band, re4ming the Revolution, distribution of the music, and so on). One journalist once reported that they're being given a sheet with a list of topics not to address. I wonder if P's past works are on that list because it's be amazing to have him elaborate on past works with today's perspective.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/09/16 4:36am

Aerogram

avatar

My other half refers to this as Prince's "Love Boat" song.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/09/16 5:13am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

breakdown2k14 said:

Its a great song but I think it needs to be 2 minutes shorter. I don't care much about the Lisa and wendy stuff about "painting the side of the train".

it didn't take up that much time lol I like that part

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/09/16 5:15am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

MattyJam said:

Not only my all time favourite Prince song, but my all time favourite song ever by anyone.

Definition of the word masterpiece.

I will add that I always felt that the reason it was omitted from Parade was because it was quite obviously an album closer, as was Sometimes It Snows In April. I couldn't see either of those tracks slotting in anywhere other than at the end of the album, which was perhaps why Prince left it off.

[Edited 1/9/16 4:06am]

I agree, with the original ending, that was much brighter (Christopher did not die) All My Dreams woiuld have been perfect

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/09/16 5:16am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

214 said:

paulludvig said:

It's a bit overrated. A Hollywood pastiche.

No, it's a great song. Really wonderful.

lol if Revolution or Wendy Lisa Susannah are attached at all paulludvig appears to smear

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/09/16 6:17am

iZsaZsa

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:



MattyJam said:


Not only my all time favourite Prince song, but my all time favourite song ever by anyone.

Definition of the word masterpiece.

I will add that I always felt that the reason it was omitted from Parade was because it was quite obviously an album closer, as was Sometimes It Snows In April. I couldn't see either of those tracks slotting in anywhere other than at the end of the album, which was perhaps why Prince left it off.


[Edited 1/9/16 4:06am]




I agree, with the original ending, that was much brighter (Christopher did not die) All My Dreams woiuld have been perfect




I want to see that one. fallinluv
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/09/16 7:12am

paulludvig

OldFriends4Sale said:

214 said:

No, it's a great song. Really wonderful.

lol if Revolution or Wendy Lisa Susannah are attached at all paulludvig appears to smear

oh, come on. I didn't say it's a bad song. I like it a lot. But Prince was obviously trying to evoke an old Hollywood style of music (he even instructed W&L to sing "like Betty Davies"). This is totally appropriate in the context of the movie, which is itself a Hollywood pastiche, but a pastiche will rarely be of the greatest artistic merit.

I woud level the same ciriticism against Do You Lie, which is a pastich on a french chanson.

The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/09/16 7:22am

sulls

avatar

This song is a gem!

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/09/16 8:30am

Doozer

avatar

Like databank said, goodie for us that this song is widely circulating in perfect quality. I remember having it for years on a somewhat hissy tape, but even then in the early 90s it was decent quality for a bootleg. Truly a pinnacle outtake!
Check out The Mountains and the Sea, a Prince podcast by yours truly and my wife. More info at https://www.facebook.com/TMATSPodcast/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/09/16 9:25am

Dilan

MattyJam said:

Not only my all time favourite Prince song, but my all time favourite song ever by anyone.

Definition of the word masterpiece.

I will add that I always felt that the reason it was omitted from Parade was because it was quite obviously an album closer, as was Sometimes It Snows In April. I couldn't see either of those tracks slotting in anywhere other than at the end of the album, which was perhaps why Prince left it off.

[Edited 1/9/16 4:06am]

WOAH are you sure!??! So you like it more than Billie Jean?

I'm feeling a bit fammy™
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/09/16 10:00am

LEATHRSAIL

avatar

So after seeing this thread, it had ben a while since I had listened to "All My Dream". So I listen it it again. I now have a version of "All My Dreams" from "Work It" and had never listened to it. But at the begining of the song I noticed it had the end of "Old Friends 4 Sale". I had always wanted to know what song "Old Friends 4 Sale" segued into. So I put them into Audacity and spliced them together. They do fit. I wonder if they were put together in an early line up of Parade.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/09/16 10:11am

revolution75

avatar

Perfect of example of Prince being full of it
He claims that these vault songs aren't finished
Bullshit!!

What else is there to add to the song?
Josh's computer noise?
A rap from TC Ellis and Tony M?
minor keys and drugs don't make a rollerskate jam
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/09/16 10:23am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

All My Dreams, not all of my...

That it still hasn't been released is truly shocking. Moonbeam Levels even more.

There's Others Here With Us? man. Cosmic Day. ah, haha

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/09/16 10:59am

Miles

revolution75 said:

What else is there to add to the song? Josh's computer noise? A rap from TC Ellis and Tony M?

Hell yeah! Bring it on!!

I can see it now - All My Dreams (Definitive Version) feat. Tony M, remixed by Josh Welton!!

This will drop on Hit n' Run Phase 5, I kid you not. cool wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/09/16 12:39pm

sulls

avatar

Miles said:

revolution75 said:

What else is there to add to the song? Josh's computer noise? A rap from TC Ellis and Tony M?

Hell yeah! Bring it on!!

I can see it now - All My Dreams (Definitive Version) feat. Tony M, remixed by Josh Welton!!

This will drop on Hit n' Run Phase 5, I kid you not. cool wink

lol

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > All of My Dreams