independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 14th Dec 2019 7:12am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Best Songs Last 15 Years
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/06/15 1:31pm

feeluupp

avatar

Best Songs Last 15 Years

What do you think are Prince's best songs of the last 15 years: 2000-2015.

The Word and Fury.

I personally feel these two tracks are the strongest two tracks I've heard on a Prince album in the last 15 years.

Personally my favorite tracks of the last 15 years of him are:

The Word

Fury

Sticky Like Glue

Digital Garden

U Know

Anotherlove

Illusion, Coma, Pimp & Circumstance

[Edited 6/6/15 14:14pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/06/15 2:01pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

Both fantastic songs.

Actually, the entire 3121 album is fantastic.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/06/15 2:06pm

novabrkr

Absolutely fantastic stuff.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/06/15 2:09pm

feeluupp

avatar

Besides The Word, Fury, Sticky Like Glue are there any other tracks you feel are great since 2000.

Another two of my favorites that have actually grown on me are U Know and Anotherlove.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/06/15 2:13pm

KingSausage

avatar

Militant said:

Both fantastic songs.

Actually, the entire 3121 album is fantastic.

Yep. Excellent album and these are two highlights.

"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/06/15 2:13pm

novabrkr

feeluupp said:

Besides The Word, Fury, Sticky Like Glue are there any other tracks you feel are great since 2000.

Another two of my favorites that have actually grown on me are U Know and Anotherlove.


Plenty.


Clouds, The Breakdown, The Gold Standard, Future Soul Song, Dance 4 Me, Ol' Skool Company, Boom, Colonized Mind, $, Dreamer, F.U.N.K...

Can't be arsed to gripe about what really is great music.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/06/15 2:19pm

thedance

avatar

Militant said:

Both fantastic songs.

Actually, the entire 3121 album is fantastic.

Let me disagree, eek


3121 is one of his worst albums ever,

And Fury.. what a crap song.... sorry just my opinion....

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/06/15 2:19pm

novabrkr

thedance said:

Militant said:

Both fantastic songs.

Actually, the entire 3121 album is fantastic.

Let me disagree, eek


3121 is one of his worst albums ever,

And Fury.. what a crap song.... sorry just my opinion....


Just your opinion.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/06/15 2:22pm

thedance

avatar

novabrkr said:


Clouds, The Breakdown, The Gold Standard, Future Soul Song, Dance 4 Me, Ol' Skool Company, Boom, Colonized Mind, $, Dreamer, F.U.N.K...

Great songs, yes... this is more like it..! nod cool


I like every song ojn THAT list, however: The Breakdown could be better with a different production.

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/06/15 2:24pm

thedance

avatar

novabrkr said:

thedance said:

Let me disagree, eek


3121 is one of his worst albums ever,

And Fury.. what a crap song.... sorry just my opinion....


Just your opinion.

yes.. nod


3121, the album = barf

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/06/15 2:26pm

KingSausage

avatar

Undisputed (Moneyapolis mix)

Everywhere

1+1+=3

She Loves Me 4 Me

Last December

One Nite Alone

Supercute

When I Lay My Hands On U

Underneath the Cream (or is that late 1999? fuck it)

Illusion, Coma, Pimp & Circumstance

Reflection

3121

Black Sweat

Love

Fury

The Word

Somewhere Here on Earth

All the Midnites in the World

Dreamer

$

Future Soul Song

Sticky Like Glue

Act of God

Rock and Roll Love Affair (original or remix 7)

Wow

Another Love

Funknroll (Plec version)

Clouds

The Gold Standard

U Know

Breakfast Can Wait

Way Back Home

Time

F.U.N.K.

Groovy Potential

"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/06/15 2:29pm

PurpleSkipper5
8

Some good mentions.
But "The Everlasting Now" is like THE best thing ever. I wish he'd bring it back in the set, the song is in fact everlasting.
”The people that will end up defining ‘Hate Speech Laws’ are the very people you don’t want to define the Hate Speech Laws” — Jordan B Peterson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/06/15 2:42pm

Doozer

avatar

I would nominate:

Last December
Boom
Dreamer
$
Colonized Mind (despite much of it being borrowed)
Reflection
Have a Heart
Sticky Like Glue
Ol' Skool Company (guilty pleasure)
Check out The Mountains and the Sea, a Prince podcast by yours truly and my wife. More info at https://www.facebook.com/TMATSPodcast/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/06/15 2:59pm

thedance

avatar

Yes I agree, The Everlasting Now is standing out, (in the good way),

What about this beauty: Beautiful Strange (isn't this from 2001?)

Edit - also: Future Baby Mama this is a personal favorite of mine, such a good song imo (I take this song over Somewhere Here On Earth)

[Edited 6/6/15 15:04pm]

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/06/15 3:01pm

thedoorkeeper

KingSausage said:

Undisputed (Moneyapolis mix)


Everywhere


1+1+=3


She Loves Me 4 Me


Last December


One Nite Alone


Supercute


When I Lay My Hands On U


Underneath the Cream (or is that late 1999? fuck it)


Illusion, Coma, Pimp & Circumstance


Reflection


3121


Black Sweat


Love


Fury


The Word


Somewhere Here on Earth


All the Midnites in the World


Dreamer


$


Future Soul Song


Sticky Like Glue


Act of God


Rock and Roll Love Affair (original or remix 7)


Wow


Another Love


Funknroll (Plec version)


Clouds


The Gold Standard


U Know


Breakfast Can Wait


Way Back Home


Time


F.U.N.K.


Groovy Potential


I was going to make a list but yours is just about perfect.
I like your taste.
1 or 2 I would drop but overall damn good.
biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/06/15 4:25pm

KingSausage

avatar

thedoorkeeper said:

KingSausage said:

Undisputed (Moneyapolis mix)


Everywhere


1+1+=3


She Loves Me 4 Me


Last December


One Nite Alone


Supercute


When I Lay My Hands On U


Underneath the Cream (or is that late 1999? fuck it)


Illusion, Coma, Pimp & Circumstance


Reflection


3121


Black Sweat


Love


Fury


The Word


Somewhere Here on Earth


All the Midnites in the World


Dreamer


$


Future Soul Song


Sticky Like Glue


Act of God


Rock and Roll Love Affair (original or remix 7)


Wow


Another Love


Funknroll (Plec version)


Clouds


The Gold Standard


U Know


Breakfast Can Wait


Way Back Home


Time


F.U.N.K.


Groovy Potential


I was going to make a list but yours is just about perfect.
I like your taste.
1 or 2 I would drop but overall damn good.
biggrin


Thanks!

Adding this list together, it's crazy how good a compilation like this could be. Sure, it wouldn't rival The Hits. But it would still kick ass.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/06/15 4:42pm

NorthC

When eye Lay My Hands on U
Breakdown
The Marrying Kind/If eye Was the Man In Ur Life
The Word
Guitar
Laydown
[Edited 6/6/15 16:47pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/06/15 5:38pm

RJOrion

Clouds

U Know

Sticky Like Glue

Time

Lavaux

Plectrum Electrum

Valentina

Chelsea Rogers

Walk In Sand

Way Back Home

Illusion, Coma, Pimp & Circumstance

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/06/15 7:31pm

paisleypark4

avatar

KingSausage said:

thedoorkeeper said:
I was going to make a list but yours is just about perfect. I like your taste. 1 or 2 I would drop but overall damn good. biggrin
Thanks! Adding this list together, it's crazy how good a compilation like this could be. Sure, it wouldn't rival The Hits. But it would still kick ass.

That list is better than the 90s material in my opinion

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/06/15 7:44pm

aaroncanderson

avatar

KingSausage said:

thedoorkeeper said:


I was going to make a list but yours is just about perfect.
I like your taste.
1 or 2 I would drop but overall damn good.
biggrin


Thanks!

Adding this list together, it's crazy how good a compilation like this could be. Sure, it wouldn't rival The Hits. But it would still kick ass.


You've inspired me. I'm going to make a playlist of 15 songs from the last 15 years. I think it will rival his 80's stuff since TRC is my favorite Prince album.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/06/15 7:57pm

KingSausage

avatar

paisleypark4 said:



KingSausage said:


thedoorkeeper said:
I was going to make a list but yours is just about perfect. I like your taste. 1 or 2 I would drop but overall damn good. biggrin

Thanks! Adding this list together, it's crazy how good a compilation like this could be. Sure, it wouldn't rival The Hits. But it would still kick ass.


That list is better than the 90s material in my opinion




It's funny, I was thinking that same shit earlier. Yes, on one hand we're collaring a 15-year block to a 10-year block. But still...the 90's compilation might be weaker than the later compilation.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/06/15 8:21pm

Toofunkyinhere

I like "$" the best, sounds straight out of 86'

We're here, might as well get into it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/06/15 8:54pm

williamb610

Mellow

Time

What it Feels Like

Way Back Home

PlectrumElectrum

FixUrLifeUp

U Know

Honorable Mention: Ol' Skool Company

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/06/15 9:44pm

udo

avatar

feeluupp said:

What do you think are Prince's best songs of the last 15 years: 2000-2015.

.

Does it matter?

He won't play most of them.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/06/15 10:28pm

thedance

avatar

Surprise, noone -including myself- is mentioning the Musicology title track..?

One of his best songs the past 15 years imo.

The live tv-performance at Jay Leno was really fantastic.. woot!

Maybe Musicology - the song is a little "formulaic" on the album, but it comes alive when played in concert. music

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/07/15 12:48am

dodger

Way Back Home
Time
Gold Standard
This Could Be Us
Clouds
Anotherlove
Wow
Funknroll
Sticky Like Glue
Ol Skool Company
Dance 4 Me
Colonised Mind
Somewhere Here On Earth
Future Baby Mama
Fury
3121
Reflection
Mellow
Same December
[Edited 6/7/15 0:50am]
[Edited 6/7/15 1:23am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/07/15 11:19am

PurpleSkipper5
8

The Work Pt 1
1+1+=3
She Loves Me 4 Me
Family Name
The Everlasting Now
Last December
U're Gonna C Me (piano and vocals)
Musicology
Dr, Mr Man
Reflection
Black Sweat
Colonized Mind
Dreamer
Chocolate Box
Dance 4 Me
No More Candy 4 U
ExtraLoveable (this counts, right? Of course it does)
Groovy Potential
Wow
FunkNRoll (both versions)
Art Official Cage
Clouds
The Breakdown
Breakfast Can Wait
This Could Be Us
Way Back Home
Affirmation III
”The people that will end up defining ‘Hate Speech Laws’ are the very people you don’t want to define the Hate Speech Laws” — Jordan B Peterson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/07/15 11:25am

RJOrion

somehow i totally forgot to put "This Could be Us"...his best slow song in a couple decades

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/08/15 10:01am

Scarfo

Cinammon Girl

Wow

Way Back Home

The rest sucks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/09/15 10:14am

purplemajesty2
3

avatar

Illusion, Coma, Pimp and Circumstance
3121
P.f.u.n.k
Mellow
Musicology
Boom
Colonized Mind
The Word
Love
The Dance
Black Sweat
Sticky Like Glue
Beginning Endlessly
The Marrying Kind
Purple Music is my drug and I'm jonesin!!!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Best Songs Last 15 Years