independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Restart Paisley Park Imprint...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/19/14 8:42pm

Amkatnip

avatar

Restart Paisley Park Imprint...

When Prince's fight with Warner Brothers ensued in 1993; they shut down his Paisley Park imprint. I always thought it was kind of neat. Now with his on-again alliance with Warners...it would be great to see this back.

Thoughts?....

[Edited 4/19/14 20:43pm]

Peace...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/19/14 9:24pm

bashraka

Amkatnip said:

When Prince's fight with Warner Brothers ensued in 1993; they shut down his Paisley Park imprint. I always thought it was kind of neat. Now with his on-again alliance with Warners...it would be great to see this back.

Thoughts?....

[Edited 4/19/14 20:43pm]

I think Prince learned his lesson. I just want Prince to stay in WB's good graces long enough to remaster and reissue his seminal albums before Prince starts making too many demands and splits from the company again.

3121 #1 THIS YEAR
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/20/14 12:13pm

databank

avatar

bashraka said:

Amkatnip said:

When Prince's fight with Warner Brothers ensued in 1993; they shut down his Paisley Park imprint. I always thought it was kind of neat. Now with his on-again alliance with Warners...it would be great to see this back.

Thoughts?....

[Edited 4/19/14 20:43pm]

I think Prince learned his lesson. I just want Prince to stay in WB's good graces long enough to remaster and reissue his seminal albums before Prince starts making too many demands and splits from the company again.

Anyway P already has a vanity label and it's called NPG Records. If he was to one day re-expend NPG into a proper label instead of just a "Prince" label, I think considering the current state of the music industry an indy label would be best chosen to support the project. I'm not sure majors still have interest in those kinda small projects, given the current situation of record sales, but on the other hand an indie label would be able to put all the energy a project like this needs.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/20/14 12:30pm

SoulAlive

a bad idea.Let's face it,things were a mess at Paisley Park Records.I don't think things would be much different in 2014.Prince would still be giving record contracts to the women he sleeps with lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/20/14 12:40pm

databank

avatar

SoulAlive said:

a bad idea.Let's face it,things were a mess at Paisley Park Records.I don't think things would be much different in 2014.Prince would still be giving record contracts to the women he sleeps with lol

Actually that wasn't so much the problem with PP except of course Carmen.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/20/14 12:41pm

databank

avatar

SoulAlive said:

a bad idea.Let's face it,things were a mess at Paisley Park Records.I don't think things would be much different in 2014.Prince would still be giving record contracts to the women he sleeps with lol

And I believe that we'd all agreed to ban the sentence "let's face it" from the Org!!!

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/23/14 8:26am

Amkatnip

avatar

I think the main thing for me is that we have easier access at his material. So if that means Warners...so be it. It will be GREAT to finally see Purple Rain and his other classics getting the treatment it deserves. Who knows...maybe new fans will be gained.

Paisley Park for me was a vibe...a vision...that is what I really liked about it. You kind of knew what to expect from a PP project.

Peace...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/23/14 10:21pm

kenkamken

avatar

There was so much material that never was released, probably a lot of material from George Clinton, Mavis Staples, Rosie Gaines, Margie Cox, etc. I remember hearing artists like Tyler Collins were signed but no album came out. There were bands not signed to Paisley that would record their albums there, possibly jam sessions. I'd love to see the label revived.
"So fierce U look 2night, the brightest star pales 2 Ur sex..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/24/14 3:04am

databank

avatar

kenkamken said:

There was so much material that never was released, probably a lot of material from George Clinton, Mavis Staples, Rosie Gaines, Margie Cox, etc. I remember hearing artists like Tyler Collins were signed but no album came out. There were bands not signed to Paisley that would record their albums there, possibly jam sessions. I'd love to see the label revived.

Whatever was recorded at PP by bands that didn't belong to the label isn't in Prince's possession.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/24/14 5:41am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Even though anything prior to ATWIAD/the Family/Romance 1600 did not have the Paisley Park label I think everything that is remastered from the 1980s should have it on it

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
“Strong people define themselves; weak people allow others to define them.” ― Ken Poirot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Restart Paisley Park Imprint...