independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 20th Jan 2020 9:54am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > dont you feel that Plectrum Electrum has to be good
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/25/14 11:32am

antonb

dont you feel that Plectrum Electrum has to be good

I feel that plectrum electrum is a very importent cd/record for Prince , his first sort of proper release for years, the way he is pushing it and 3rdeyegirl. The media is starting to mention it. After following prince for about 16 years now with all the ups and downs, he needs this to be well received to really kick start a new era in his career. Or it could be back to greatest hits shows again! Inside am praying this album is bloody good!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/25/14 12:00pm

SuperSoulFight
er

That is, if he'll actually release it. Leave it to good old Prince to start a promorional campaign for an album & bragging about his new band of young gurrlz (he has a reputation 2 uphold, right?) without giving any clue as to if & when the album will be released. Seriously, I'm beginning to believe Prince is the greatest con man in the history of rock & roll. Deep down, he knows no one gives a f...about any of his new releases and that his reputation is based on his skills as a live artist. Has anyone, in the hype of all the current English guerilla gigs, noticed he's not doing anything he hasn't done before? He's been playing with 3rdEyeGirl for a year now. He said 2013 was gonna be big. Now don't get me wrong. Seeing Prince onstage in a small club is the best. I'm happy 4 everyone who eas there, but as for the new album... I hope it's good, but seeing is believing...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/25/14 12:14pm

antonb

I understand some of you points but i dont think he is a con artist. When you have written the amount of songs he has, the creative juices is bound to dry up from time to time. Thats why im hoping this group has inspired the writing juices again

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/25/14 12:18pm

Farfunknugin

avatar

antonb said:

I understand some of you points but i dont think he is a con artist. When you have written the amount of songs he has, the creative juices is bound to dry up from time to time. Thats why im hoping this group has inspired the writing juices again

Can we just leave the word juices outta the equation?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/25/14 12:20pm

antonb

depends how your mind works i guess:lol:

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/25/14 12:26pm

SuperSoulFight
er

antonb said:

I understand some of you points but i dont think he is a con artist. When you have written the amount of songs he has, the creative juices is bound to dry up from time to time. Thats why im hoping this group has inspired the writing juices again


Okay, I was joking when I said that. But so far I haven't heared any great sonwriting from him. Pretzelbodylogic is so much fun? I've heared it, I like it, but it's hardly the greatest thing he's ever done. So that's why I said what I said. He knows his reputation is based on the old stuff. And he's great onstage no matter who's in the band. So i don't have high hopes for a 3EzG album. But... I'm still curious...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/25/14 12:33pm

antonb

I know what you mean, and i would have liked to have heard his version of the unexpected with vocals on the album as i think its a better song than what we have heard so far from Plectrum electrum. But from the mojo mag, some of the songs do sound intriguing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/25/14 12:42pm

tatocorcu

I think he wants the album to do well and I think he believes in it. He has played some tracks live a few times. I also think that all the delays might have been caused by the constant changes to the album focus (Prince album to 3rdeyegirl to Prince & 3rdeyegirl). Hopefully they now know what they want and we will get to hear it soon. Personally, I really want it to be good, but Pretzelbl and Fixurlifeup leave me quite cold. I hope Wow is not just instrumental and I hope it includes The Breakdown, but we'll see...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/25/14 12:52pm

robertgeorgeak
abob

I think this album and recent tour is about consolidating support from us fans rather than cracking the mainstream. 3rdeyegirl are never gonna be as radical as The Revolution but they're at least focusing Prince.
don't play me...i'm over 30 and i DO smoke weed....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/25/14 12:58pm

antonb

I still think that prince would like a hit single and album, he does mension that box office is importent, I dont think he just means concert taking with that statement

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/25/14 1:13pm

MIRvmn

avatar

I think it will be a good album but I dont have any high expectations, but thats good thing cuz high expectations often leads 2 more dissapointments. Im curious 2
hear the new ballads Whitecap and Tictactoe, I also look 4ward 2 hear Wow (and hope it wont be just instrumetal) and Funknroll since I love the live version of it. Hopfully the full tracklist will appear soon
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/25/14 1:18pm

NouveauDance

avatar

Not really. I think the media has had very little faith and expectation in his studio work over the past 20 years, and post-Musicology that hasn't really hurt his kudos as a live performer and living legend - and I don't expect this album to change that.

.

Any media outlet that gets an interview or something exclusive will likely give it a diplomatically positive review as always.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/25/14 1:20pm

David1974

Given how '84, '94, 2004 have worked out for him, 2014 has to be good. cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/25/14 1:22pm

spookEElectric

I was @ the show on Saturday which was off the scale! There's some massive Prince vibes going off in the UK right now, like not for a long time. I've been a fan since I was about 13 in 1998 (NPS era).

Can sense something special is about to happen.. This 3RD eyed girl business is going off!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/25/14 1:22pm

nursev

It will be good...im optimistic.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/25/14 1:24pm

antonb

His legacy and his live reputation will always be there, even if it isnt any good, but i still feel that this could be an important album for him. It will enhance his standing at the moment and prove he can still deliver in the recording studio

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/25/14 1:31pm

dJJ

SuperSoulFighter said:

antonb said:

I understand some of you points but i dont think he is a con artist. When you have written the amount of songs he has, the creative juices is bound to dry up from time to time. Thats why im hoping this group has inspired the writing juices again

Okay, I was joking when I said that. But so far I haven't heared any great sonwriting from him. Pretzelbodylogic is so much fun? I've heared it, I like it, but it's hardly the greatest thing he's ever done. So that's why I said what I said. He knows his reputation is based on the old stuff. And he's great onstage no matter who's in the band. So i don't have high hopes for a 3EzG album. But... I'm still curious...



No. With Shelby on stage, it was not as good as with Rosie Gaines. She has never been able to create hat powerful and energizing vibe like Rosie Gaines could. Shelby took energy, did not give it.

3EDGIRL create a very different vibe than Prince and Larry Graham.

It makes a lot of difference who he is playing with and who is playing with him.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/25/14 1:47pm

3rdeyedude

avatar

wouldn't it be great if it were great?

but we know it already kind of sucks based on what we know will be on it

that's why he has to find a way to make $ on it - before it is released - and not in a traditional way

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/25/14 1:50pm

dJJ

Define good.


There will be people who love the new album and there will be people who hate it.


And how valuable is an album sale (apart from the cash on the bank), if it sells just because it fits a certain temporary hype? Or not for that matter.

His last UK hit and run has caused a lot of buzz. And I enjoy reading the reviews. But what I enjoy especially, is reading the experiences of those who have been there. Their positive energy rubs off. Takes me back to some fantastic concert experiences I had and it makes me happy to know others have been so happy for a few hours too.

Not every song he produces has to be brilliant. I like different albums in different moods and in different phases in my life.

And why should this album be good for you. Maybe it's not going to be good in your opinion, but will it be fantastic in my opinion. Does the opinion of the masses reflect quality? Or does it merely reflect how a few key people love something, and because they do, the rest will follow and love it too? Nowadays Prince seems to be the best ever. But I remember the times when being a Prince fan was not aproved by the masses. It really doesn't matter, does it?


I'm looking forward to this album, because I know I will enjoy listening to some songs. But foremost, this album will be the music that I will associate with a phase in my life that has been rough, however relieved because the Prince concerts I went to, that made me happy. And when sad, I just think of those memories. And of course, a lot of orgers have been great friends to me and very supportive. So, beside the musical quality and the message of the album, to me, it's also about what Prince and his fans stand for.


No matter if that is aproved by the masses or not.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/25/14 1:53pm

dJJ

3rdeyedude said:

wouldn't it be great if it were great?

but we know it already kind of sucks based on what we know will be on it

that's why he has to find a way to make $ on it - before it is released - and not in a traditional way



That's fine by me.

As long as I can get a hold on an album.


99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/25/14 2:14pm

antonb

dJJ said:

Define good.


There will be people who love the new album and there will be people who hate it.


And how valuable is an album sale (apart from the cash on the bank), if it sells just because it fits a certain temporary hype? Or not for that matter.

His last UK hit and run has caused a lot of buzz. And I enjoy reading the reviews. But what I enjoy especially, is reading the experiences of those who have been there. Their positive energy rubs off. Takes me back to some fantastic concert experiences I had and it makes me happy to know others have been so happy for a few hours too.

Not every song he produces has to be brilliant. I like different albums in different moods and in different phases in my life.

And why should this album be good for you. Maybe it's not going to be good in your opinion, but will it be fantastic in my opinion. Does the opinion of the masses reflect quality? Or does it merely reflect how a few key people love something, and because they do, the rest will follow and love it too? Nowadays Prince seems to be the best ever. But I remember the times when being a Prince fan was not aproved by the masses. It really doesn't matter, does it?


I'm looking forward to this album, because I know I will enjoy listening to some songs. But foremost, this album will be the music that I will associate with a phase in my life that has been rough, however relieved because the Prince concerts I went to, that made me happy. And when sad, I just think of those memories. And of course, a lot of orgers have been great friends to me and very supportive. So, beside the musical quality and the message of the album, to me, it's also about what Prince and his fans stand for.


No matter if that is aproved by the masses or not.

Yea yea, but I still want the album to be good. Would you like it if he did an instrumental of the birdie song? Saying that, it would be a hit record!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/25/14 2:40pm

antonb

im sorry ignore that last post, that was too sarcastic

dJJ said:

Define good.


There will be people who love the new album and there will be people who hate it.


And how valuable is an album sale (apart from the cash on the bank), if it sells just because it fits a certain temporary hype? Or not for that matter.

His last UK hit and run has caused a lot of buzz. And I enjoy reading the reviews. But what I enjoy especially, is reading the experiences of those who have been there. Their positive energy rubs off. Takes me back to some fantastic concert experiences I had and it makes me happy to know others have been so happy for a few hours too.

Not every song he produces has to be brilliant. I like different albums in different moods and in different phases in my life.

And why should this album be good for you. Maybe it's not going to be good in your opinion, but will it be fantastic in my opinion. Does the opinion of the masses reflect quality? Or does it merely reflect how a few key people love something, and because they do, the rest will follow and love it too? Nowadays Prince seems to be the best ever. But I remember the times when being a Prince fan was not aproved by the masses. It really doesn't matter, does it?


I'm looking forward to this album, because I know I will enjoy listening to some songs. But foremost, this album will be the music that I will associate with a phase in my life that has been rough, however relieved because the Prince concerts I went to, that made me happy. And when sad, I just think of those memories. And of course, a lot of orgers have been great friends to me and very supportive. So, beside the musical quality and the message of the album, to me, it's also about what Prince and his fans stand for.


No matter if that is aproved by the masses or not.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 02/25/14 3:21pm

dJJ

No worries, I'm not personally hurt by critics.

And I understand that you want the album to be good. Just like most Prince fans. It's just that there never will be consensus about what is good.

And that is a good thing!


I like diversity and the freedom of expressing uniqueness without having to fear repercusssion.

And yes, I like instrumental songs by P. I don't always want to hear words, just music is liberating too.

antonb said:

im sorry ignore that last post, that was too sarcastic

dJJ said:

Define good.


There will be people who love the new album and there will be people who hate it.


And how valuable is an album sale (apart from the cash on the bank), if it sells just because it fits a certain temporary hype? Or not for that matter.

His last UK hit and run has caused a lot of buzz. And I enjoy reading the reviews. But what I enjoy especially, is reading the experiences of those who have been there. Their positive energy rubs off. Takes me back to some fantastic concert experiences I had and it makes me happy to know others have been so happy for a few hours too.

Not every song he produces has to be brilliant. I like different albums in different moods and in different phases in my life.

And why should this album be good for you. Maybe it's not going to be good in your opinion, but will it be fantastic in my opinion. Does the opinion of the masses reflect quality? Or does it merely reflect how a few key people love something, and because they do, the rest will follow and love it too? Nowadays Prince seems to be the best ever. But I remember the times when being a Prince fan was not aproved by the masses. It really doesn't matter, does it?


I'm looking forward to this album, because I know I will enjoy listening to some songs. But foremost, this album will be the music that I will associate with a phase in my life that has been rough, however relieved because the Prince concerts I went to, that made me happy. And when sad, I just think of those memories. And of course, a lot of orgers have been great friends to me and very supportive. So, beside the musical quality and the message of the album, to me, it's also about what Prince and his fans stand for.


No matter if that is aproved by the masses or not.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 02/25/14 3:29pm

dewmass

avatar

Don't think he expects hits any more. Personally I think he knows he has a large loyal fanbase and knows he'll sell to that and anything on top is a bonus. No evidence of this being a proper release really, hes not made any waves with PretzelBodyLogic and it looks to me that it may well become a fan favourite but not drag anyone new to it. Don't think its a "comeback" type thing at all

-----------------------------------------
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 02/25/14 3:51pm

dJJ

dewmass said:

Don't think he expects hits any more. Personally I think he knows he has a large loyal fanbase and knows he'll sell to that and anything on top is a bonus. No evidence of this being a proper release really, hes not made any waves with PretzelBodyLogic and it looks to me that it may well become a fan favourite but not drag anyone new to it. Don't think its a "comeback" type thing at all



I don't think he wants to come back at all.

Come back to where? Come back to who?


That's just silly false status bollocks. He does not need a hit to feel better about himself, now does he? (I hope not).


99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 02/25/14 3:53pm

NouveauDance

avatar

antonb said:

His legacy and his live reputation will always be there, even if it isnt any good, but i still feel that this could be an important album for him. It will enhance his standing at the moment and prove he can still deliver in the recording studio

He's been unable to prove that to the press and media since the early 90s (being very generous there.)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 02/25/14 4:05pm

TrevorAyer

Plectrum will either be released as 3rd Eye Girl with minimal mention of Prince .. and die a pitiful death like andy allo and all his other bad side projects .. or .. it won't be released at all.

Yes Plectrum needs to be good but it wont be good. Some people will like it for a few months and then painfully conclude that it is a really bad album .. others will know right away that it is horrible music.

The press will give it good reviews just like they gave Let's go Crazy Reloaded 4 stars and put Breakfast Can Wait on some best of list .. even tho both are pretty horrible lazy songs. This is because .. as prince mentioned in Jukebox with a Hearbeat .. prince pays for good press .. it is no longer earned .. and the music industry is so complete garbage right now they will lap up whatever prince throws them.

Prince will refuse to put any of his better songs on the record .. such as the Breakdown or Big City.

If he does have any good ideas on the record he will find a way to ruin them by adding raps or dumb lyrics about pubes in his teeth or how great he still is and how he never went away and blah blah.

Lots of artists have hit rock bottom and turned around with a late career record that does not make their fans want to hurl. This will not be that record .. this will be the rock bottom record.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 02/25/14 4:29pm

Farfunknugin

avatar

TrevorAyer said:

Plectrum will either be released as 3rd Eye Girl with minimal mention of Prince .. and die a pitiful death like andy allo and all his other bad side projects .. or .. it won't be released at all.

Yes Plectrum needs to be good but it wont be good. Some people will like it for a few months and then painfully conclude that it is a really bad album .. others will know right away that it is horrible music.

The press will give it good reviews just like they gave Let's go Crazy Reloaded 4 stars and put Breakfast Can Wait on some best of list .. even tho both are pretty horrible lazy songs. This is because .. as prince mentioned in Jukebox with a Hearbeat .. prince pays for good press .. it is no longer earned .. and the music industry is so complete garbage right now they will lap up whatever prince throws them.

Prince will refuse to put any of his better songs on the record .. such as the Breakdown or Big City.

If he does have any good ideas on the record he will find a way to ruin them by adding raps or dumb lyrics about pubes in his teeth or how great he still is and how he never went away and blah blah.

Lots of artists have hit rock bottom and turned around with a late career record that does not make their fans want to hurl. This will not be that record .. this will be the rock bottom record.

I agree with this part -

Yes Plectrum needs to be good but it wont be good. Some people will like it for a few months and then painfully conclude that it is a really bad album .. others will know right away that it is horrible music.

The press will give it good reviews just like they gave Let's go Crazy Reloaded 4 stars and put Breakfast Can Wait on some best of list .. even tho both are pretty horrible lazy songs. This is because .. as prince mentioned in Jukebox with a Hearbeat .. prince pays for good press .. it is no longer earned .. and the music industry is so complete garbage right now they will lap up whatever prince throws them.

Prince will refuse to put any of his better songs on the record .. such as the Breakdown or Big City.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 02/25/14 7:01pm

thanks2joniand
u

TrevorAyer said:

Plectrum will either be released as 3rd Eye Girl with minimal mention of Prince .. and die a pitiful death like andy allo and all his other bad side projects .. or .. it won't be released at all.



Yes Plectrum needs to be good but it wont be good. Some people will like it for a few months and then painfully conclude that it is a really bad album .. others will know right away that it is horrible music.



The press will give it good reviews just like they gave Let's go Crazy Reloaded 4 stars and put Breakfast Can Wait on some best of list .. even tho both are pretty horrible lazy songs. This is because .. as prince mentioned in Jukebox with a Hearbeat .. prince pays for good press .. it is no longer earned .. and the music industry is so complete garbage right now they will lap up whatever prince throws them.



Prince will refuse to put any of his better songs on the record .. such as the Breakdown or Big City.



If he does have any good ideas on the record he will find a way to ruin them by adding raps or dumb lyrics about pubes in his teeth or how great he still is and how he never went away and blah blah.



Lots of artists have hit rock bottom and turned around with a late career record that does not make their fans want to hurl. This will not be that record .. this will be the rock bottom record.






Sadly, I thnk this may be true. There may be a few keepers on this release but Fixurlifeup and Pretzel make me want to gouge my effing eyes out. I have never been so annoyed by Prince songs as these 2.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 02/25/14 7:40pm

artist76

avatar

Yes, it absolutely HAS to be good, because black artists don't get second chances!
lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > dont you feel that Plectrum Electrum has to be good