independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Count the Days
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/14/13 4:22pm

StarfishandLat
te

Count the Days

Count the Days on the Exodus album by NPG is one of my favourite songs

Snipped - langebleu - moderator

But what is it about? Wikipedia just says it's a blues song where Prince counts the days till things get better. The words are too weird for this. E.g.

Here's a church

Here's a steeple

Here's a mother f**cker that I've got to blow away

Here's my chance to cure the ills of the people

But not until I make this mother f**cker pay

And baby I count the days

Such pretty music with such violent / odd words. Anyone got more information?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/14/13 4:40pm

djdaffy1227

avatar

[img:$uid]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/djdaffy1227/CountthedaysUKCD5.jpg[/img:$uid]

Making love and music are the only things worth fighting for.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/14/13 7:43pm

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

StarfishandLatte said:

Here's a church

Here's a steeple

Here's a mother f**cker that I've got to blow away

Here's my chance to cure the ills of the people

But not until I make this mother f**cker pay

And baby I count the days

Such pretty music with such violent / odd words. Anyone got more information?

right at the time i guess.. I always believe this one was the almost indescribable pain/anger he must have felt about WB/contract?

What are you outraged about today? CNN has not told you yet?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/14/13 8:12pm

errant

avatar

better remove that URL, even if it isn't clickable. it's against the site rules, because it'll attract the attention of Prince's lawyers.

"does my cock look fat in these jeans?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/14/13 9:05pm

Hanklin

I feel good listening to this song. So good!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/14/13 11:04pm

thedance

avatar

I belive this cd-single did introduce the phrase:

"The Artist Formerly Known As Prince".

(on a white sticker afaik... please correct me if not true)..

Great song. music

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/14/13 11:09pm

funkomatic

Difficult how to interpret the lines you quoted.

Anyway, "Count the days" and "The Exodus has begun" are the highlights on Exodus. The rest is pretty much forgettable.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/14/13 11:36pm

thedance

avatar

I belive this cd-single did introduce the phrase:

"(The Artist) Formerly Known As Prince".

Pic:

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ecnirp2004/Prince/NPGCountTheDays_zpsf55019e4.jpg[/img:$uid]

^ please correct me if not true, (it was the first)..

Great song. music

.

[Edited 2/14/13 23:37pm]

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/15/13 12:13am

dodger

SuperFurryAnimal said:

StarfishandLatte said:

Here's a church

Here's a steeple

Here's a mother f**cker that I've got to blow away

Here's my chance to cure the ills of the people

But not until I make this mother f**cker pay

And baby I count the days

Such pretty music with such violent / odd words. Anyone got more information?

right at the time i guess.. I always believe this one was the almost indescribable pain/anger he must have felt about WB/contract?

Yes, I also think its relating to his anger at WB with lines like 'if it was left up to you I would die in pain' so he's counting the days to get out of his contract.

Great song from a great album IMO.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/15/13 2:47am

Adorecream

This song has being playing in my head all day, seriously been listening to exodus, and this is my favourite jam after Good Life.

The line "Like Frankie Beverly without Maze" keeps playing in my head

Along with the liberal use of the word motherfucker "Here's a church, here's a steeple, here's a motherfucker".

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/15/13 2:57am

SuperSoulFight
er

Yeah, he was so obsessed with his contract in those days that he could talk, write and sing about little else.
But the song is one of those little gems on a forgotten album. deal wall
[Edited 2/15/13 2:57am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/15/13 4:32am

rlittler81

avatar

thedance said:

I belive this cd-single did introduce the phrase:

"(The Artist) Formerly Known As Prince".

Pic:

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ecnirp2004/Prince/NPGCountTheDays_zpsf55019e4.jpg[/img:$uid]

^ please correct me if not true, (it was the first)..

Great song. music

.

[Edited 2/14/13 23:37pm]

The sticker was first used on 'TMBGITW' and 'The Beautiful Experience'. I remember some copies of Exodus having a sticker on it saying 'Who the $@"* is Tora Tora?' with a backwards prince on it.

3121... Don't U Wanna Come?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/21/13 6:09pm

Adorecream

Thats what I love about Exodus, lots of pretty and orchestral vocal R & B mixed in with angry ass lyrics about his WB contract, the Exodus is the freedom of the Artist with his slave contract from WB.

Theres also some great empowerment jams like The Good Life, one of the very best of all NPG music. I have always been a sucker for positive rap/R and B jams that are funky and hell, yet with all the self empowerment in the lyrix too.

SDkits and segues less good.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/22/13 12:21am

spitty

avatar

This album is simply THE BOMB! EXODUS 4 life. Listened to this record a 1000 times and don't get tired of it!

Fuck this disco! Ain't y'all tired of this record spinnin' bullshit? word!

...Prince angry and funny as hell! I loooove that skits!!!!

I don't know what it was but it hit me hard!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/22/13 9:25am

dJJ

StarfishandLatte said:

Count the Days on the Exodus album by NPG is one of my favourite songs

Snipped - langebleu - moderator

But what is it about? Wikipedia just says it's a blues song where Prince counts the days till things get better. The words are too weird for this. E.g.

Here's a church

Here's a steeple

Here's a mother f**cker that I've got to blow away

Here's my chance to cure the ills of the people

But not until I make this mother f**cker pay

And baby I count the days

Such pretty music with such violent / odd words. Anyone got more information?

had to look up the meaning of 'steeple'

My guess:

A priest or somebody else who's involved in church.

He promises people who are suffering that he can heal them.

However, it's a false promise.

He uses the suffering of the person to make him psychologically dependant of him.

And when the person in pain depends on the church guy, he will make him pay.

Nothing to do with truly helping a person. Merely using a vulnerable person to make some money for himself.

If the church guy had true intensions het had taught the person in pain to deal with his suffering.

And learns from the suffering, so he can grow to be a stronger person.

Wow.

[Edited 2/22/13 11:41am]

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/22/13 10:31am

Efan

avatar

dJJ said:

StarfishandLatte said:

Count the Days on the Exodus album by NPG is one of my favourite songs

Snipped - langebleu - moderator

But what is it about? Wikipedia just says it's a blues song where Prince counts the days till things get better. The words are too weird for this. E.g.

Here's a church

Here's a steeple

Here's a mother f**cker that I've got to blow away

Here's my chance to cure the ills of the people

But not until I make this mother f**cker pay

And baby I count the days

Such pretty music with such violent / odd words. Anyone got more information?

had to look up the meaning of 'steeple'

My guess:

A priest or somebody else who's involved in church.

He promises people who are suffering that he can heal them.

However, it's a false promise.

He uses the suffering of the person to make him psychologically dependant of him.

And when the person in pain depends on the church guy, he will make him pay.

Nothing to do with truly helping a person. Merely using a vulnerable person to make some money for himself.

If the church guy had true intensions het had taught the person in pain to deal with his suffering.

And learns from the suffering, so he can grow to be a stronger person.

Wow.

Somehow Larry Graham comes up in my mind.

Since you mentioned you had to look up steeple, I just thought I'd point out that the opening two lines are based on a nursery rhyme you say while acting it out with your fingers:

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/22/13 10:46am

Genesia

avatar

Efan said:

dJJ said:

had to look up the meaning of 'steeple'

My guess:

A priest or somebody else who's involved in church.

He promises people who are suffering that he can heal them.

However, it's a false promise.

He uses the suffering of the person to make him psychologically dependant of him.

And when the person in pain depends on the church guy, he will make him pay.

Nothing to do with truly helping a person. Merely using a vulnerable person to make some money for himself.

If the church guy had true intensions het had taught the person in pain to deal with his suffering.

And learns from the suffering, so he can grow to be a stronger person.

Wow.

Somehow Larry Graham comes up in my mind.

Since you mentioned you had to look up steeple, I just thought I'd point out that the opening two lines are based on a nursery rhyme you say while acting it out with your fingers:

falloff

I was just going to say. And I can't believe you found a video of it.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/22/13 10:51am

dJJ

Genesia said:

Efan said:

Since you mentioned you had to look up steeple, I just thought I'd point out that the opening two lines are based on a nursery rhyme you say while acting it out with your fingers:

falloff

I was just going to say. And I can't believe you found a video of it.

Never heard of it.

Thanx for telling me.

What's the meaning of Prince's lyric then?

Because I don't know the context of the hymn, obviously.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/22/13 11:01am

Genesia

avatar

dJJ said:

Genesia said:

falloff

I was just going to say. And I can't believe you found a video of it.

Never heard of it.

Thanx for telling me.

What's the meaning of Prince's lyric then?

Because I don't know the context of the hymn, obviously.

Did you watch the video? This is a rhyme that mothers use to entertain their babies and toddlers. (I think my grandma might have taught it to me when I was a wee thing.) Listen to the tone of the woman's voice - gentle and sing-songy.

There is no deep meaning to Prince using it for this song. The music is soft and he starts with a child's rhyme...and then BAM! he talks about killing somebody. He uses the juxtaposition purely for effect - not because he's making any sort of statement about religion or hope or whatever.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/22/13 11:03am

dJJ

Genesia said:

dJJ said:

Never heard of it.

Thanx for telling me.

What's the meaning of Prince's lyric then?

Because I don't know the context of the hymn, obviously.

Did you watch the video? This is a rhyme that mothers use to entertain their babies and toddlers. (I think my grandma might have taught it to me when I was a wee thing.) Listen to the tone of the woman's voice - gentle and sing-songy.

There is no deep meaning to Prince using it for this song. The music is soft and he starts with a child's rhyme...and then BAM! he talks about killing somebody. He uses the juxtaposition purely for effect - not because he's making any sort of statement about religion or hope or whatever.

Ah, that clears it up then.

I'm reading into it to much.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/22/13 11:29am

dJJ

So, what does the song mean to you guys?

What do you read in to it (irregard of the original intend)

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Count the Days