independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 15th Nov 2019 12:53pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Happy 30th Birthday to Moonbeam Levels!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/06/12 4:41am

KingSausage

avatar

Happy 30th Birthday to Moonbeam Levels!

Thirty years ago today, Prince recorded Moonbeam Levels. This is still my all-time favorite Prince unreleased track. Let's celebrate Moonbeam Levels. How much do you love this song?

I would say more, but I really need to use the bathroom...

"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/06/12 4:59am

love2thenines2
003

KingSausage said:

Thirty years ago today, Prince recorded Moonbeam Levels. This is still my all-time favorite Prince unreleased track. Let's celebrate Moonbeam Levels. How much do you love this song?

I would say more, but I really need to use the bathroom...

Same feeling 4 me...happy birthday 2 this magical unreleased Prince song!!

PS>I hope that we will get a clear or unreleased version(1988 re-made version) of this song soon on the connection Prince set project (un-official release 2 come)

peace

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/06/12 5:13am

KingSausage

avatar

I didn't know there was a remade 1988 version. Cool.

But I want the original. :)


love2thenines2003 said:



KingSausage said:


Thirty years ago today, Prince recorded Moonbeam Levels. This is still my all-time favorite Prince unreleased track. Let's celebrate Moonbeam Levels. How much do you love this song?



I would say more, but I really need to use the bathroom...





Same feeling 4 me...happy birthday 2 this magical unreleased Prince song!!



PS>I hope that we will get a clear or unreleased version(1988 re-made version) of this song soon on the connection Prince set project (un-official release 2 come)



peace

"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/06/12 5:16am

love2thenines2
003

KingSausage said:

I didn't know there was a remade 1988 version. Cool. But I want the original. smile love2thenines2003 said:

Same feeling 4 me...happy birthday 2 this magical unreleased Prince song!!

PS>I hope that we will get a clear or unreleased version(1988 re-made version) of this song soon on the connection Prince set project (un-official release 2 come)

peace

Yes It was!!

http://princevault.com/index.php/Moonbeam_Levels

wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/06/12 5:26am

KingSausage

avatar

I think that just means that it was considered for release on the '88 Rave album, not that it was actually re-recorded. I could be wrong. But maybe this means we'll get the original! That's the fucking Holy Grail to me. The original Moonbeam Levels. Oh man...



love2thenines2003 said:



KingSausage said:


I didn't know there was a remade 1988 version. Cool. But I want the original. smile love2thenines2003 said:




Same feeling 4 me...happy birthday 2 this magical unreleased Prince song!!



PS>I hope that we will get a clear or unreleased version(1988 re-made version) of this song soon on the connection Prince set project (un-official release 2 come)



peace






Yes It was!!



http://princevault.com/index.php/Moonbeam_Levels



wink

"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/06/12 7:27am

joyfulwarrior

Beautiful song. It inspired me to buy a Moonstone pendant! The Ancient Romans believed that Moonstone was born from solidified rays of the moon.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/06/12 7:57am

toe

one of the greatest ever!, so want another Box o Chocolates this year

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/06/12 11:52am

KingSausage

avatar

toe said:

one of the greatest ever!, so want another Box o Chocolates this year



I want another Box of Chocolates every day! ;)

Where's the love for Moonbeam Levels, people? I only have a few good folks on this thread?
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/06/12 12:10pm

mushmackalenta

It is a great song and I always think I would enjoy it more with a clear copy.

It wouldn't be my holy grail track, the song tat takes that title is Cosmic Day.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/06/12 2:48pm

KingSausage

avatar

mushmackalenta said:

It is a great song and I always think I would enjoy it more with a clear copy.

It wouldn't be my holy grail track, the song tat takes that title is Cosmic Day.



Shit. I don't even know Cosmic Day.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/06/12 2:55pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Probably the single greatest song never released. I still don't get what he was thinking by keeping that one to himself.

It's a crime, actually. Like Aerosmith keeping Dream On in the vault. Could you imagine a world without Dream On? Or Purple Rain. I can make the case that Moonbeam is a better song.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/06/12 3:06pm

KingSausage

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

Probably the single greatest song never released. I still don't get what he was thinking by keeping that one to himself.



It's a crime, actually. Like Aerosmith keeping Dream On in the vault. Could you imagine a world without Dream On? Or Purple Rain. I can make the case that Moonbeam is a better song.




Exhibit A: Moonbeam Levels isn't Aerosmith.

Case made and won!
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/07/12 8:38am

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

Yes one of his best songs.....needs to be released at some point!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/08/12 6:25am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

I remember listening to some old bootleg at a MPLS record store (remember CD listening stations?), and this song came on and I couldn't even fucking believe it. I was mesmermized by the melody, the words, the voice...

I still don't know wtf a moonbeam level is or how it relates to the rest of the lyrics, but I still think it's one of the best things he ever did.

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/08/12 6:43am

KingSausage

avatar

SchlomoThaHomo said:

I remember listening to some old bootleg at a MPLS record store (remember CD listening stations?), and this song came on and I couldn't even fucking believe it. I was mesmermized by the melody, the words, the voice...



I still don't know wtf a moonbeam level is or how it relates to the rest of the lyrics, but I still think it's one of the best things he ever did.




Awesome. I had the same experience at a MPLS CD shop listening station! I was reaching for my wallet as I listened. smile
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/08/12 7:15am

Tittypants

avatar

'Moonbeam Levels' is one of the most eery songs I've ever heard. There's just something about it that makes it uncomfortably comfortable to me. I definitely think it's one of the best unreleased tracks by Prince. I would love a better version of this song right along with everybody else nod.

[Edited 7/8/12 7:15am]

الحيوان النادلة ((((|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|)))) ...AND THAT'S THE WAY THE "TITTY" MILKS IT!
My Albums: https://zillzmp.bandcamp.com/music
My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/zillz82
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/08/12 8:41am

johno2

mushmackalenta said:

It is a great song and I always think I would enjoy it more with a clear copy. It wouldn't be my holy grail track, the song tat takes that title is Cosmic Day.

It was leaked though, i love cosmic day and moonbeams

"yesterday i tried to write a novel but i didnt know were to begin so i layed down in the grass a tried to feel the world turn"

VERYY VERRY GGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/08/12 2:52pm

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

KingSausage said:

SchlomoThaHomo said:

I remember listening to some old bootleg at a MPLS record store (remember CD listening stations?), and this song came on and I couldn't even fucking believe it. I was mesmermized by the melody, the words, the voice...

I still don't know wtf a moonbeam level is or how it relates to the rest of the lyrics, but I still think it's one of the best things he ever did.

Awesome. I had the same experience at a MPLS CD shop listening station! I was reaching for my wallet as I listened. smile

lol wow! I wish I could remember exactly what store that was. I feel like it was somewhere in Uptown. And the boot had Prince in his Parade era yellow suit and I think the song was labled as A Better Place 2 Die on the sleeve. I didn't buy it because I was low on cash. That would be crazy if it was the same store and the same copy.

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/09/12 12:21am

LittleBear

avatar

smile Everything just recently clicked into place for me with this song. The first few times I heard it, it dipped a little into cheesy rock ballad territory, but it makes more sense to me now, especially after listening to it with the 1999 album. Prince is sort of a musical chameleon! It's cool to hear him experimenting with sounds: the spaceship blasts; the piano complementing and overlapping with the guitar; his layered vocals toward the end. The lyrics are something special though. What an emotional struggle! I like how he switches from "I" to "he" in the beginning, like the song becomes the story the "I" was having trouble starting, if that makes any sense...

I found a lot of interesting and helpful comments in older threads about this song; here are two links, the second one includes the lyrics. (I already bungled another song's thread by posting the wrong lyrics so... fingers crossed! lol )

http://prince.org/msg/7/366132

http://prince.org/msg/7/3...?&pg=2

30 years in the Vault... eek Sounds more like a prison sentence than a birthday to celebrate! falloff

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/09/12 3:15am

TheDigitalGard
ener

SchlomoThaHomo said:

KingSausage said:

SchlomoThaHomo said: Awesome. I had the same experience at a MPLS CD shop listening station! I was reaching for my wallet as I listened. smile

: And the boot had Prince in his Parade era yellow suit and I think the song was labled as A Better Place 2 Die on the sleeve.

This? http://main.thedigitalgar...2-die.html

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/09/12 4:55am

Giveit2mebaby

Still my fav' since I first heard it on a lost tape in 1990.

To all those who love this heartful, melancolic, epic Prince & friends, " Go " is gonna be your next fav' .

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/09/12 5:02am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

TheDigitalGardener said:

SchlomoThaHomo said:

: And the boot had Prince in his Parade era yellow suit and I think the song was labled as A Better Place 2 Die on the sleeve.

This? http://main.thedigitalgar...2-die.html

Yep, that's it!

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/09/12 5:04am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

Giveit2mebaby said:

Still my fav' since I first heard it on a lost tape in 1990.

To all those who love this heartful, melancolic, epic Prince & friends, " Go " is gonna be your next fav' .

I can't wait til this leaks! I heard it won't be long. I've worn out the minute long snippet from a few years ago, and the Real Audio sample from like '99. Sounds like a great song.

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/09/12 5:30am

love2thenines2
003

For the track listing from the Connection set ... i smell we get the songs :

Traffic Jam

Go

The computer blue ( new unreleased alternate version)

Hard 2 get (81' version)

Cosmic Day

Adonis & Bathsheba

Everybody Want What They Don't Got

Big house

cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/09/12 12:54pm

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

^ Let's hope.....those samples were AMAZING....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/10/12 1:15pm

PoorLonelyComp
uter

avatar

It's my understanding that Prince performed this song once and only once on the Triple Threat tour. Wish I had audio of that.

"Do you really know what love is?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/10/12 7:17pm

lemoncrush

Always loved this track since I first got the Better Place to Die bootleg in the very early 90's. I always heard that this song was too similar to Free to include on the 1999 album, and just got left in the vault.
If it breaks when it bends, you better not put it in.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/10/12 9:14pm

datdude

so far, the most overrated track in the vault IMO. listened again upon seeing this thread, just doesn't do anything for me

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/11/12 1:07am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/28/12 4:22am

Romeoblu

Perfect unreleased has the best sounding version of Moonbeam Levels I've ever heard it's not crystal clear but is damn good.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Happy 30th Birthday to Moonbeam Levels!