independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 23rd Feb 2020 12:31am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Wax Poetics: Issue #50 – Winter 2012
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/10/12 10:26pm

HuMpThAnG

avatar

Wax Poetics: Issue #50 – Winter 2012

[img:$uid]http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/w/waxpoetics~_issue50~~_102b.jpg[/img:$uid]

Add to Cart $10.99 ... Magazine
List Price: 11.99
Magazine (Item 594736) Wax Poetics, 2011 — Condition: New Copy

A major milestone for Wax Poetics – 10 years and 50 issues! Issue 50 is a stellar start to a second decade for the funk, soul, hip hop, Latin and vinyl cultural beacon – with a new logo and a larger book (it's now 8" X 10.5") – but coverage of classic, rare and contempory artists is as deep as ever! Prince is on the front cover and Frank Ocean on the back – with Prince pieces penned by ?uestlove and Alan & Gwen Leeds, a deeper look at the Minneapolis scene and Prince associates & peers The Family, Jesse Johnson & Morris Day, plus master funk bassist Larry Graham, upstart R&B gamechanger Frank Ocean, Toro Y Moi, DJ Quik, Blood Orange and more! © 1996-2012, Dusty Groove America, Inc.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/11/12 5:37am

alexnvrmnd777

If this has indeed finally been released, then off to Barnes & Noble I go...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/11/12 8:05am

PoorLonelyComp
uter

avatar

alexnvrmnd777 said:

If this has indeed finally been released, then off to Barnes & Noble I go...

yeeeah barnes and noble should have it!

I love Frank Ocean too!

[Edited 2/11/12 8:05am]

"Do you really know what love is?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/11/12 8:54am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Barnes & Noble in my town told me they don't carry it. Same with our other large book store. Better luck at my local mom & pop record store. They don't have this one yet, but they do carry the magazine and will be getting it in. So, now I just have to harrass them till it's in, I guess... biggrin

"No one can keep track of how many times you've quit, with all the histrionics and ball clutching." - Angry Troll

"No one can count to 2? Wow!" - Me
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/11/12 5:32pm

jonylawson

thirteen dollars to ship it to NZ????

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/12/12 1:47am

kikitwitme

avatar

I was thinking of buying this. I'm having second thoughts considering shipping cost almost as much as the magazine (and the magazine ain't cheap either!!)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/12/12 1:25pm

runphilrun

If you live in So Cal, the Barnes & Noble in Glendale carries it, but the Prince issue is not in yet. I'm not sure if the other locations carry it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/12/12 8:58pm

mzsadii

avatar

Not in Mich stores yet

Prince's Sarah
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/13/12 8:03pm

buist

I received an email with more information:

Issue 50

Prince, Frank Ocean (read now!), Larry Graham, Morris Day, Toro y Moi, DJ Quick Record Rundown, Blood Orange, Madhouse (read now!), Questlove on Prince, Jesse Johnson, The Family, Grand Central, and 94 East Re:Discovered.

10th Anniversary Redesign

In December of 2001, Wax Poetics debuted its first issue to a small following of record collectors and “beat diggers.” Ten years later, Wax Poetics has carved out a niche for itself in the world of music journalism and expanded its audience to a worldwide congregation of music lovers.

Issue 50 marks our ten-year anniversary and does so with one of the most iconic musicians in the history of African American music, the one and only Prince.

We've also done a full redesign, making the magazine slightly larger-8 x 10.5 inches-and we've embraced a new paper stock. Wax Poetics will look a bit different on the newsstand, with a new mark making its debut in place of our old logo, but the magazine will continue to be a collectible objet d'art, something to be saved on your shelf as a musical reference manual, not recycled like other mags.

Wax Poetics has also returned to its roots as a journal and is back to being quarterly. The new price of $11.99 reflects not only radical changes in the publishing industry and the economy, but also the guarantee of continued quality from the paper stock to the writing and photographs. As always, our subscription prices offer a great deal of savings off the cover price (Canadian prices have been adjusted).

While we vow to keep Wax Poetics in print as a tangible entity, bucking the trend of ridding our culture of old-school reading products, we will also start offering a digital version of the magazine this year for the iPhone, iPad, Android, and other popular handheld devices.

Exclusive DJ Mix

To celebrate our ten-year anniversary, our fiftieth joint, and the historic Prince Issue, the one-and-only DaM-FunK has created an exclusive Prince DJ set, which includes an exclusive new track!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/13/12 8:52pm

jonylawson

buist said:

I received an email with more information:

Issue 50

Prince, Frank Ocean (read now!), Larry Graham, Morris Day, Toro y Moi, DJ Quick Record Rundown, Blood Orange, Madhouse (read now!), Questlove on Prince, Jesse Johnson, The Family, Grand Central, and 94 East Re:Discovered.

10th Anniversary Redesign

In December of 2001, Wax Poetics debuted its first issue to a small following of record collectors and “beat diggers.” Ten years later, Wax Poetics has carved out a niche for itself in the world of music journalism and expanded its audience to a worldwide congregation of music lovers.

Issue 50 marks our ten-year anniversary and does so with one of the most iconic musicians in the history of African American music, the one and only Prince.

We've also done a full redesign, making the magazine slightly larger-8 x 10.5 inches-and we've embraced a new paper stock. Wax Poetics will look a bit different on the newsstand, with a new mark making its debut in place of our old logo, but the magazine will continue to be a collectible objet d'art, something to be saved on your shelf as a musical reference manual, not recycled like other mags.

Wax Poetics has also returned to its roots as a journal and is back to being quarterly. The new price of $11.99 reflects not only radical changes in the publishing industry and the economy, but also the guarantee of continued quality from the paper stock to the writing and photographs. As always, our subscription prices offer a great deal of savings off the cover price (Canadian prices have been adjusted).

While we vow to keep Wax Poetics in print as a tangible entity, bucking the trend of ridding our culture of old-school reading products, we will also start offering a digital version of the magazine this year for the iPhone, iPad, Android, and other popular handheld devices.

Exclusive DJ Mix

To celebrate our ten-year anniversary, our fiftieth joint, and the historic Prince Issue, the one-and-only DaM-FunK has created an exclusive Prince DJ set, which includes an exclusive new track!

NICE MIX!!!!!!!!

IM buying the mag now! fuck the cost of posting!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/13/12 10:49pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

buist said:

Exclusive DJ Mix

To celebrate our ten-year anniversary, our fiftieth joint, and the historic Prince Issue, the one-and-only DaM-FunK has created an exclusive Prince DJ set, which includes an exclusive new track!

How was this authorized?!? Hope it still comes out... cool

"No one can keep track of how many times you've quit, with all the histrionics and ball clutching." - Angry Troll

"No one can count to 2? Wow!" - Me
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/14/12 3:50am

drgoldsmoke

avatar

jonylawson said:

buist said:

I received an email with more information:

Issue 50

Prince, Frank Ocean (read now!), Larry Graham, Morris Day, Toro y Moi, DJ Quick Record Rundown, Blood Orange, Madhouse (read now!), Questlove on Prince, Jesse Johnson, The Family, Grand Central, and 94 East Re:Discovered.

10th Anniversary Redesign

In December of 2001, Wax Poetics debuted its first issue to a small following of record collectors and “beat diggers.” Ten years later, Wax Poetics has carved out a niche for itself in the world of music journalism and expanded its audience to a worldwide congregation of music lovers.

Issue 50 marks our ten-year anniversary and does so with one of the most iconic musicians in the history of African American music, the one and only Prince.

We've also done a full redesign, making the magazine slightly larger-8 x 10.5 inches-and we've embraced a new paper stock. Wax Poetics will look a bit different on the newsstand, with a new mark making its debut in place of our old logo, but the magazine will continue to be a collectible objet d'art, something to be saved on your shelf as a musical reference manual, not recycled like other mags.

Wax Poetics has also returned to its roots as a journal and is back to being quarterly. The new price of $11.99 reflects not only radical changes in the publishing industry and the economy, but also the guarantee of continued quality from the paper stock to the writing and photographs. As always, our subscription prices offer a great deal of savings off the cover price (Canadian prices have been adjusted).

While we vow to keep Wax Poetics in print as a tangible entity, bucking the trend of ridding our culture of old-school reading products, we will also start offering a digital version of the magazine this year for the iPhone, iPad, Android, and other popular handheld devices.

Exclusive DJ Mix

To celebrate our ten-year anniversary, our fiftieth joint, and the historic Prince Issue, the one-and-only DaM-FunK has created an exclusive Prince DJ set, which includes an exclusive new track!

NICE MIX!!!!!!!!

IM buying the mag now! fuck the cost of posting!

The EXCLUSIVE NEW TRACK is by DamFunK not Prince.

email

Larry Graham stole my teddy bear.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/14/12 7:33am

djThunderfunk

avatar

drgoldsmoke said:

The EXCLUSIVE NEW TRACK is by DamFunK not Prince.

email

But, several of the tracks are... bootlegs. So, what's up with that?!?

"No one can keep track of how many times you've quit, with all the histrionics and ball clutching." - Angry Troll

"No one can count to 2? Wow!" - Me
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/14/12 8:24am

drgoldsmoke

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

drgoldsmoke said:

The EXCLUSIVE NEW TRACK is by DamFunK not Prince.

email

But, several of the tracks are... bootlegs. So, what's up with that?!?

fascinating huh?

email

Larry Graham stole my teddy bear.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/14/12 8:06pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

drgoldsmoke said:

djThunderfunk said:

But, several of the tracks are... bootlegs. So, what's up with that?!?

fascinating huh?

email

fascinating? maybe. strange? unusual? absolutely!

I'd love to hear about how this came about. Do they have permission? If not, will the disc be pulled before release? This sure doesn't seem like something that would be approved...

"No one can keep track of how many times you've quit, with all the histrionics and ball clutching." - Angry Troll

"No one can count to 2? Wow!" - Me
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/15/12 10:39am

drgoldsmoke

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

drgoldsmoke said:

fascinating huh?

email

fascinating? maybe. strange? unusual? absolutely!

I'd love to hear about how this came about. Do they have permission? If not, will the disc be pulled before release? This sure doesn't seem like something that would be approved...

It's out already (and downloadable).

Larry Graham stole my teddy bear.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/15/12 10:57am

HuMpThAnG

avatar

Just got mines in the mail today...

Looks to be some interesting reading reading

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/15/12 11:54am

ecstasy

avatar

Didn't exactly get it but what's so special about this issue and the magazine??
Yes, at 19, I finally saw the Revolution, a legendary band. And I talked to Wendy!!! biggrin In addition to seeing Prince, I have now lived life. Thank you Purple People!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/15/12 12:57pm

TheDigitalGard
ener

ecstasy said:

Didn't exactly get it but what's so special about this issue and the magazine??

The fact that it's 50th issue is more or less dedicated to Prince, plus it's a "proper" music magazine, not a load of gossip mongering bile about the latest hot chart whore.

Wax Poetics does not really care about who is selling the most albums in a year......get it? wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/15/12 1:07pm

runphilrun

I forgot to check B&N yesterday, I'm gonna see if they have it on their shelves tonight.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/15/12 3:09pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

drgoldsmoke said:

djThunderfunk said:

fascinating? maybe. strange? unusual? absolutely!

I'd love to hear about how this came about. Do they have permission? If not, will the disc be pulled before release? This sure doesn't seem like something that would be approved...

It's out already (and downloadable).

Yeah, I downloaded it. Is there a disc with the magazine?

Is the magazine in stores yet? My local shop doesn't have it yet.

"No one can keep track of how many times you've quit, with all the histrionics and ball clutching." - Angry Troll

"No one can count to 2? Wow!" - Me
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/15/12 5:43pm

HuMpThAnG

avatar

Just finish reading

Nice stuff biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 02/15/12 6:18pm

ecstasy

avatar

TheDigitalGardener said:

ecstasy said:

Didn't exactly get it but what's so special about this issue and the magazine??

The fact that it's 50th issue is more or less dedicated to Prince, plus it's a "proper" music magazine, not a load of gossip mongering bile about the latest hot chart whore.

Wax Poetics does not really care about who is selling the most albums in a year......get it? wink

Yeah I guess smile So interviews, music info, and pictures basically

Yes, at 19, I finally saw the Revolution, a legendary band. And I talked to Wendy!!! biggrin In addition to seeing Prince, I have now lived life. Thank you Purple People!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 02/15/12 6:20pm

HuMpThAnG

avatar

ecstasy said:

TheDigitalGardener said:

The fact that it's 50th issue is more or less dedicated to Prince, plus it's a "proper" music magazine, not a load of gossip mongering bile about the latest hot chart whore.

Wax Poetics does not really care about who is selling the most albums in a year......get it? wink

Yeah I guess smile So interviews, music info, and pictures basically

Highly recommend biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 02/26/12 2:53pm

Harlepolis

I have both of their anthologies, I'm so ready for the next volume reading

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 02/26/12 3:02pm

Spinlight

avatar

So these guys are publishing "All My Dreams", "Wet Dream Cousin", and a live version of "Dirty Mind" with Prince's consent, right? I'm listening to the soundcloud right now to see if its really a crystal clear version (the only immediate indicator of officialness).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 02/26/12 3:22pm

Spinlight

avatar

Yeah this mix isn't legit. Ain't that illegal?

Has the bootleg versions of tracks and errythang. Cmon now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 02/26/12 3:23pm

mplsmike

avatar

Wet Dream Cousin still has all the flaws as the bootleg versions lol

Love Life,
Love God,
And Only Do Drugs You Need
smoker

... wave
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 02/26/12 3:28pm

Harlepolis

mplsmike said:

Wet Dream Cousin still has all the flaws as the bootleg versions lol

Really? I think what he(Dam Funk) did with it affirmed my appreciation of the song.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 02/26/12 3:30pm

Spinlight

avatar

Harlepolis said:

mplsmike said:

Wet Dream Cousin still has all the flaws as the bootleg versions lol

Really? I think what he(Dam Funk) did with it affirmed my appreciation of the song.

Huh? It's the same exact bootleg cut as ever.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Wax Poetics: Issue #50 – Winter 2012