independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 20th Nov 2019 4:20am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince played 102 different songs in the Holland shows...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/01/11 4:29pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

Prince played 102 different songs in the Holland shows...

source - http://huntercomplex.tumb...nd-in-2011

Here’s a list of the songs Prince played in Holland in July 2011. In total he played 142 tracks, 102 different ones.

The dates:

Ahoy, Rotterdam, 9 (am) July 2011
Ahoy, Rotterdam, 10 (am) July 2011
Ahoy, Rotterdam, 11 (am) July 2011
Melkweg, Amsterdam, 25 (am) July 2011
Melkweg, Amsterdam, 26 (am) July 2011
Ahoy, Rotterdam, 26 July 2011

The songs:

1999
(Eye Like) Funky Music
(Theme Song From) Which Way Is Up?
A Love Bizarre
All Day, All Night
Alphabet St.
America
Baby I’m A Star
Bambi
Beautiful Strange
Brown Skin
Calhoun Square
Cherish The Day
Chocolate
Colonized Mind
Come Together
Controversy
Cool
Cream
Crimson And Clover
D.M.S.R.
Dance (Disco Heat)
Dear Mr. Man
Delirious
Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough
Dreamer
Empty Room
Everyday People
Flash Light
Foxy Lady
Future Soul Song
Gingerbread Man
Girl
Gold
Guitar
Housequake
I Like It There
I Want You Back
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Instrumental Jam
Johnny B. Goode
Joy In Repetition
Jungle Love
Kiss
Kissing My Love
Laydown
Le Freak
Lets Get It On
Let’s Go Crazy
Let’s Work
Little Red Corvette
Love Is A Losing Game
Make You Feel My Love
Misty Blue
Mountains
Musicology
Mutiny
No One Else
Nothing Compares 2 U
Nothing More
One Nation Under A Groove
Only Heaven Knows
Outstanding
Partyman
Pass The Peas
Peach
People Pleaser
Play That Funky Music
Pop Life
Prince And The Band
Purple Rain
Raspberry Beret
Rude Boy
Scrapple From The Apple
Sexy Dancer
She’s Always In My Hair
Something In The Water (Does Not Compute)
Stand!
Strange Relationship
Take Me With U
Take This Beat
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)
Thank You For Talkin’ To Me Africa
The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker
The Beautiful Ones
The Bird
The Look Of Love
The Love We Make
The One
The Question Of U
U Got The Look
Uptown Up
Venus De Milo
Villanova Junction
Waiting In Vain
We Live 2 Get Funky
Welcome 2 America
What The World Needs Now Is Love
What’s My Name?
When Eye Lay My Hands On U
When We’re Dancing Close And Slow
You’re The One For Me

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/01/11 4:37pm

jpnyc

I wonder how much Prince's choice of band members has to do with finding people who can even be ready to play 102 songs in the same tour.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/01/11 5:06pm

mzsadii

avatar

COOL cool

Prince's Sarah
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/01/11 5:19pm

Aristotle

avatar

While I'd really like to see more new material in the setlist, this is quite astonishing when put in this perspective. cool

© prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/01/11 6:00pm

Rinluv

avatar

Thats nice but still TOO MANY covers..

Some people think I'm kinda cute
But that don't compute when it comes 2 Y-O-U.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/01/11 6:30pm

statequest

Nice. I'm beginning to realise Prince loves songs he can improv to especially. The two Sly songs are improv heaven! No?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/01/11 6:48pm

1725topp

So, based on my count, and my math could be wrong (liberal arts major), 33% of the show is covers, which is much less than many would lead us to believe. Still, I would like an 80/20 split, but 67% ain't bad when we consider that it seems that part of Prince's mission is to serve as a funk/soul teacher/archivist as well as an artist/entertainer.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/01/11 10:00pm

babyjubilation

They might ACTUALLY know 300 songs!

I thought it was all talk blahblah chatterbox

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/01/11 10:00pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

This should put to rest those complaining about same set lists. But, considering where we are, I doubt it will... cool

REEFER MADNESS!
Joe Biden still thinks marijuana is a gateway drug:
https://www.businessinsid...t-2019-11/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/01/11 10:57pm

derrick31

djThunderfunk said:

This should put to rest those complaining about same set lists. But, considering where we are, I doubt it will... cool

Fo Sho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/01/11 11:07pm

FunkiestOne

avatar

I don't know that doing one or two lines of a song for 20 seconds means that he played that song, but still you make a good point.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/01/11 11:45pm

dualboot

avatar

You can 'Take this beat' of the list. Someone pointed out that it's 'What's my name' with the take this and take that part.

Still an impressive list

[Edited 8/1/11 23:47pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/02/11 12:29am

girl7

avatar

SO COOL!!! biggrin

Oh, blue light...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/02/11 1:38am

bobbyperu

FunkiestOne said:

I don't know that doing one or two lines of a song for 20 seconds means that he played that song, but still you make a good point.


That is true! We have to remember that not all of these songs were played from intro to end. But it is still an impressive list. Few if any artists can pull this off. Bob Dylan is the only one I can think of. I'm very glad tovhave been there.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/02/11 1:40am

bobbyperu

babyjubilation said:

They might ACTUALLY know 300 songs!



I thought it was all talk blahblah chatterbox


That means 200 left to go! Come back, Prince! 21 nights in Amsterdam.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/02/11 1:42am

vitriol

Pure demagogy.

MANY of the 'songs' included in that list were just minuscule readings (like when he destroyed 'Scrapple from the apple') or brief parts of futile stupid medleys.

That doesn't allow the maker of the list to boast that P played 102 different songs, MANY of them covers.

But, hey, we're already used to this kind of crap to prove inexisting points.

Prince has become a human jukebox that will play anything as long as you INSERT COIN.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/02/11 1:56am

thedance

avatar

Rinluv said:

Thats nice but still TOO MANY covers..

yeahthat

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/02/11 2:06am

SquirrelMeat

avatar

The set lists have been much improved of this tour. I hope he keeps its up.....and drops the covers.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 08/02/11 3:01am

McD

avatar

He's killing these shows with all the pointless covers.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 08/02/11 3:35am

pandemoniun6

Agree about the covers. He's really pulling some rare ones out of his own back catalogue now so time to ditch the covers surely. The band MUST know enough of his own stuff now to be able to deliver a varied show each night. 1/2 covers per show is plenty for an artist with such a phenomenal workrate.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 08/02/11 8:22am

Tremolina

Agreed, his shows in Holland were great, especially the amount of different songs and fan favorites he played. North Sea Jazz and the Melkweg gave him all the opportunity to showcase what he and his current band can do and he took it! The following songs especially were AMAZING. Not always just because they were performed, but also how they were performed:

All Day, All Night
Alphabet St.
America
Bambi
Beautiful Strange
Calhoun Square
Chocolate
Colonized Mind
Controversy
Cool
Crimson And Clover
D.M.S.R.
Delirious
Dreamer
Empty Room
Foxy Lady
Gingerbread Man
Girl
Gold
Joy In Repetition
Kiss
Let’s Go Crazy
Little Red Corvette
Love Is A Losing Game
Mountains
Mutiny
Only Heaven Knows
She’s Always In My Hair
Something In The Water (Does Not Compute)
Strange Relationship
The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker
The Beautiful Ones
The Love We Make
The One
Villanova Junction
Welcome 2 America
What’s My Name?
When Eye Lay My Hands On U
When We’re Dancing Close And Slow

In one word: Fantastic!

But let's stay real here also:

Those are not 102 different songs. And on the list you made are a lot of snippets and COVERS too.

Nevertheless, I agree fullheartedly: Prince handed out lots of treats in Holland.

It was a wonderful time!

[Edited 8/2/11 8:27am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 08/02/11 9:10am

funkomatic

As long as he keeps playing mostly old stuff I don't care for his concerts anymore. If I go to a concert, I want a musician to show me what he's up to. His newest ideas and creations. If it's the old songs over and over again, it becomes a boring nostalgia affair.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 08/02/11 9:22am

Tremolina

funkomatic said:

As long as he keeps playing mostly old stuff I don't care for his concerts anymore. If I go to a concert, I want a musician to show me what he's up to. His newest ideas and creations. If it's the old songs over and over again, it becomes a boring nostalgia affair.

You really want an artist to simply ignore their vast back catalague of one great song after another, you better not go to to any great artists show again then, because you will be dissapointed EVERY time. Or just look at that list again and see there are plenty of 'new' songs on there.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 08/02/11 9:32am

Nothinbutjoy

avatar

1725topp, if your math is right ( lol @ liberal arts major) that is 1/3 of the list. For an artist that has such an extensive catalog of amazing music, IMHO, it is taking up a lot of valuable real estate.

Also, out of all of the songs listed, covers and all, I wonder how many have been played regularly in the set list over the past, oh let's say, five years.

I'm firmly planted in denial
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 08/02/11 10:45am

funkomatic

Tremolina said:

funkomatic said:

As long as he keeps playing mostly old stuff I don't care for his concerts anymore. If I go to a concert, I want a musician to show me what he's up to. His newest ideas and creations. If it's the old songs over and over again, it becomes a boring nostalgia affair.

You really want an artist to simply ignore their vast back catalague of one great song after another, you better not go to to any great artists show again then, because you will be dissapointed EVERY time. Or just look at that list again and see there are plenty of 'new' songs on there.

It's not about ignoring the past, it's about promoting where you're at. Question: where are the new songs? Songs Prince wants an audience to listen to because he thinks they're really great stuff. Where? In the last 10 years he released album after album for the sake of it, without having any real focus on promoting even one of them live or on any other occasion. I'm pretty sure, he knows that his new stuff lacks inspiration, so he tries to kinda escape from this awareness by doing mostly greatest hits shows. An artist who really believes in his new material has no choice, he feels the need to play his newest creations, because he has put all of his heart in them.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 08/02/11 11:01am

vitriol

I agree with you. Partly.

I concur that when an artist really believes in his recent stuff, he actually plays that recent stuff with a clear preference over his past catalogue, even if part of the audience may be disappointed for not being aware of the lastest albums.

But I only think that is a correct procedure when your latest stuff is really worth listening to. If, like it's Prince's case, you've been putting out loads of garbage during nearly a decade, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T base your live set mainly in recent stuff.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 08/02/11 11:13am

funkomatic

vitriol said:

I agree with you. Partly.

I concur that when an artist really believes in his recent stuff, he actually plays that recent stuff with a clear preference over his past catalogue, even if part of the audience may be disappointed for not being aware of the lastest albums.

But I only think that is a correct procedure when your latest stuff is really worth listening to. If, like it's Prince's case, you've been putting out loads of garbage during nearly a decade, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T base your live set mainly in recent stuff.

I totally agree with you, that's why he oviously doesn't do it. But he can't expect me to be interested in listening to his 1000th greatest hits show instead just because he clearly lacks inspiration.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 08/02/11 1:35pm

Tremolina

Just some factchecking again.

Prince has got a huge back catalogue spanning more than 3 decades, and which - except for the last 15 years - includes LOADS OF HITS that many know and come to see him for. Better yet: PAY lots of money for to see and hear them played.

Prince would be crazy not to play all those hits and serve all those people, but instead follow the wishes of just a few hardcore freaks that know, seen and heard everything a thousand times before already.

More facts. Prince has in fact been that crazy and has done a tour almost exclusively consisting of "new material" already. Twice at least (Gold tour and ONA).

As for the current "new songs", Prince played the new and still unreleased Welcome to America and Only Heaven Knows, plus Lay it down and Future soul song from his last album 20ten. And also Crimson and Clover, Colonized Mind and Dreamer from Lotusflower. Not that bad actually.

Anybody REALLY would have wanted him to play Act of God or Rich Friends? Even better Purple & Gold too?

I don't think so. shake

Except for some issues here and there (esp sound and lights): This tour is GOOD

[Edited 8/2/11 13:42pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 08/02/11 1:53pm

Trashcat

avatar

You can also have a look at the complete survey of The Euro2011 Tour

Here: http://prince.org/msg/12/362417

131 songs out of 300 rehearsed songs have been played yet biggrin

Have a look at 'The W2A: Euro Tour Song Survey' http://prince.org/msg/12/362417
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 08/02/11 1:54pm

EyeJester7

Militant said:

source - http://huntercomplex.tumb...nd-in-2011

Here’s a list of the songs Prince played in Holland in July 2011. In total he played 142 tracks, 102 different ones.

The dates:

Ahoy, Rotterdam, 9 (am) July 2011
Ahoy, Rotterdam, 10 (am) July 2011
Ahoy, Rotterdam, 11 (am) July 2011
Melkweg, Amsterdam, 25 (am) July 2011
Melkweg, Amsterdam, 26 (am) July 2011
Ahoy, Rotterdam, 26 July 2011

The songs:

1999
(Eye Like) Funky Music
(Theme Song From) Which Way Is Up?
A Love Bizarre
All Day, All Night
Alphabet St.
America
Baby I’m A Star
Bambi
Beautiful Strange
Brown Skin
Calhoun Square
Cherish The Day
Chocolate
Colonized Mind
Come Together
Controversy
Cool
Cream
Crimson And Clover
D.M.S.R.
Dance (Disco Heat)
Dear Mr. Man
Delirious
Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough
Dreamer
Empty Room
Everyday People
Flash Light
Foxy Lady
Future Soul Song
Gingerbread Man
Girl
Gold
Guitar
Housequake
I Like It There
I Want You Back
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Instrumental Jam
Johnny B. Goode
Joy In Repetition
Jungle Love
Kiss
Kissing My Love
Laydown
Le Freak
Lets Get It On
Let’s Go Crazy
Let’s Work
Little Red Corvette
Love Is A Losing Game
Make You Feel My Love
Misty Blue
Mountains
Musicology
Mutiny
No One Else
Nothing Compares 2 U
Nothing More
One Nation Under A Groove
Only Heaven Knows
Outstanding
Partyman
Pass The Peas
Peach
People Pleaser
Play That Funky Music
Pop Life
Prince And The Band
Purple Rain
Raspberry Beret
Rude Boy
Scrapple From The Apple
Sexy Dancer
She’s Always In My Hair
Something In The Water (Does Not Compute)
Stand!
Strange Relationship
Take Me With U
Take This Beat
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)
Thank You For Talkin’ To Me Africa
The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker
The Beautiful Ones
The Bird
The Look Of Love
The Love We Make
The One
The Question Of U
U Got The Look
Uptown Up
Venus De Milo
Villanova Junction
Waiting In Vain
We Live 2 Get Funky
Welcome 2 America
What The World Needs Now Is Love
What’s My Name?
When Eye Lay My Hands On U
When We’re Dancing Close And Slow
You’re The One For Me

WOW ! Sweet! Sure I complain about the covers, but it is still nice he can roll in other sweet hits like "The Ballad Of Dorthy Parker, & When Eye Lay My Hands On U"...I still think this concert is consistent and just excellent! smile I still wish the covers become less visible though! smile

It's Button Therapy, Baby!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince played 102 different songs in the Holland shows...