independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 21st Nov 2019 4:17am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Your Top 7 Artists? Where does Prince rank among your faves?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/08/11 10:53am

Imaginative

Your Top 7 Artists? Where does Prince rank among your faves?

Not meant to be a list of who is best or better than anyone else; just wondering among the orgers, where they PERSONALLY rank Prince among their other favorite artists. Figured I'd go with 7, but can tell you right now, that those last 2 spots are a revolving door for me, and can easily be replaced with Prince, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, The Band, XTC, Elton John, Ben Folds, Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Lou Reed, The Rolling Stones on any given day.

That said, here's mine:

    1. Beatles
    2. Duke Ellington
    3. Bob Dylan
    4. Thelonious Monk
    5. Stevie Wonder
    6. Joe Jackson
    7. Billie Holiday

[Edited 6/8/11 21:40pm]
"There is two kinds of music, the good, and the bad. I play the good kind."
Louis Armstrong
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/08/11 10:56am

dJJ

falloff falloff falloff

This is a prince fan website.

Prince ranks 1

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/08/11 11:00am

Imaginative

dJJ said:

falloff falloff falloff



This is a prince fan website.



Prince ranks 1



Glad to amuse. I actually frequent alot of fan websites. I didn't realize it was considered traitorous to frequent more than one. Lately, being in Los Angeles, I'm naturally a Prince high, so I'm here.

Sad that you don't seem to enjoy any music outside of Prince.
[Edited 6/8/11 11:09am]
"There is two kinds of music, the good, and the bad. I play the good kind."
Louis Armstrong
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/08/11 11:06am

hhhhdmt

#1 for me. There are plenty of artists i listen to besides Prince but he is such an amazing all rounder with an amazing discography. If i want some rock, i'll listen to Endorphinmachine or Bambi etc, if i want funk there's Black sweat/kiss, r&b like slow love, adore, disco in "I wanna be your lover" and so on. Plus his live performances are so incredible. I've been addicted to the live performance of "Fury" on SNL, the 1984 birthday show, rehersals , etc.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/08/11 11:08am

Imaginative

Thanks for the responses, but I'm actually curious what OTHER artists Prince fan listen to regularly. Starting to seem like orgers can use a little Musicology.

Did everyone miss the request for "top 7," or is asking orgers to name other recording artists akin to asking Palin what newspapers she reads? wink
[Edited 6/8/11 11:10am]
"There is two kinds of music, the good, and the bad. I play the good kind."
Louis Armstrong
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/08/11 11:10am

NouveauDance

avatar

Prince ranks somewhere between the St. Wilfred's School Choir of "There's No One Quite Like Grandma" fame, and The Grumbleweeds.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/08/11 11:13am

mchl88

Prince
Sting
The Beatles
Sinead O'Connor
The Rolling Stones
The Doors
Beck
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/08/11 11:19am

dJJ

Imaginative said:

dJJ said:

falloff falloff falloff

This is a prince fan website.

Prince ranks 1

Glad to amuse. I actually frequent alot of fan websites. I didn't realize it was considered traitorous to frequent more than one. Lately, being in Los Angeles, I'm naturally a Prince high, so I'm here. Sad that you don't seem to enjoy any music outside of Prince. [Edited 6/8/11 11:09am]

I didn't mean to hurt you hug

I listen to other artists and music. However, Prince ranks 1.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/08/11 11:22am

Serious

avatar

My favourite artists are still the same that are listed on my profile cool. Prince used to be NO 1 for quite some years, but is no longer. Kinda hard to say what spot he has now hmmm.
With a very special thank you to Tina: Is hammer already absolute, how much some people verändern...ICH hope is never so I will be! And if, then I hope that I would then have wen in my environment who joins me in the A....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/08/11 11:22am

Imaginative

mchl88 said:

Prince
Sting
The Beatles
Sinead O'Connor
The Rolling Stones
The Doors
Beck


Nice list. And congrats on being the first to understand the thread!!
"There is two kinds of music, the good, and the bad. I play the good kind."
Louis Armstrong
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/08/11 11:23am

Poplife88

avatar

The Beatles (group & solo)

Prince

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Oasis

Michael Jackson/Jackson 5/Jacksons

Queen

I am sure this will change tomorrow...

We're gonna need a bigger boat
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/08/11 11:25am

hhhhdmt

Imaginative said:

Thanks for the responses, but I'm actually curious what OTHER artists Prince fan listen to regularly. Starting to seem like orgers can use a little Musicology. Did everyone miss the request for "top 7," or is asking orgers to name other recording artists akin to asking Palin what newspapers she reads? wink [Edited 6/8/11 11:10am]

never thought specefically about a top 7, but these are the ones i've been listening to alot these days

Prince

Aerosmith

SRV

MJ

Sly and the Family Stone

The Clash

Deep Purple/Led Zeppelin

sorry, couldnt help pick 8 lol

[Edited 6/8/11 11:26am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/08/11 11:26am

Imaginative

Poplife88 said:

The Beatles (group & solo)...



YES! I include solo in my list as well, in particular, McCartney!
"There is two kinds of music, the good, and the bad. I play the good kind."
Louis Armstrong
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/08/11 11:28am

Imaginative

hhhhdmt said:

SRV


<>


Stevie Ray Vaughn?
"There is two kinds of music, the good, and the bad. I play the good kind."
Louis Armstrong
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/08/11 11:30am

hhhhdmt

Imaginative said:

hhhhdmt said:

SRV

<>
Stevie Ray Vaughn?

yes, i love his guitar playing, listening to "Lenny" as i am typing this, what an incredible musician

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/08/11 11:32am

blackbob

avatar

prince is the number one for me ...because he is the best all rounder in music...i still find the size of his musical talent floors me from time to time...and i do try and listen to as broad a range of music as i can...but i aint never found anyone who comes close to him in 30 years of listening to music...

.

1. prince

2. the beatles

3. david bowie

4. brian wilson/beach boys

5. stevie wonder

6. billy joel

7. the kinks

8. beck

9. radiohead

10. prefab sprout

.

.

.

[Edited 6/9/11 7:09am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/08/11 11:35am

thedance

avatar

From my iTues list:

Prince

Pink Floyd

The Beatles

Electric Light Orchstra

^ these 4 means most to me..

then, in no order:

Depeche Mode

The Cure

Blondie

Roxy Music / Bryan Ferry

Disco from the late 70's (Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Chic, Village People, Amii Stewart, Gloria Gaynor etc. etc..)

Björk

Dire Straits

David Bowie

Elton John

Genesis

Grace Jones

Jean Michel Jarre

Kate Bush

Katie Melua

Michael Jackson (I rank/ rate Prince higher than MJ)

Pet Shop Boys

Peter Gabriel

Queen

R.E.M.

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Saga (Canadian rock band)

Simple Minds

Stevie Wonder

Supertramp / Roger Hodgson solo

Toto

U2

Ultravox

Wendy & Lisa

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/08/11 11:45am

thedance

avatar

^ Ps. to ask for 7 artists / acts only...

that is for me impossible... wink

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/08/11 11:48am

dJJ

Imaginative said:

congrats on being the first to understand the thread!!

falloff

You assume that if someone doesn't reply the way you want them to, that they don't understand your request?

Again, I don't mean to hurt you. It's just your way of communicating and choosing your words that amuse me.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/08/11 11:59am

UltraLash

Imaginative said:

Not meant to be a list of who is best or better than anyone else; just wondering among the orgers, where they PERSONALLY rank Prince among their other favorite artists. Figured I'd go with 7, but can tell you right now, that those last 2 spots are a revolving door for me, and can easily be replaced with Prince, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, The Band, XTC, Elton John, Ben Folds, Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, Lou Reed, The Rolling Stones on any given day. That said, here's mine:
    1. Beatles 2. Duke Ellington 3. Bob Dylan 4. Thelonious Monk 5. Stevie Wonder 6. Joe Jackson 7. Billie Holiday

How can you ask for a Top 7 on a Prince forum if your Top 7 doesn't include Prince? LOL. I see what you're going for, but maybe a Top 10 would have been more Princely?

These days, this is what my top 10 looks like:

Peter Gabriel

Beatles

Tori Amos

Prince

David Bowie

Leonard Cohen

Kate Bush

M.I.A.

DJ Danger Mouse (Gnarls Barkley, Broken Bells)

Bjork

[Edited 6/8/11 11:59am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/08/11 12:10pm

Imaginative

thedance said:

^ Ps. to ask for 7 artists / acts only...



that is for me impossible... wink



As you can see from my OP, it's impossible for me too.

To UltraLash: I'm sure if I pulled jazz artists out and just asked for pop, Prince would crack a top 10 for me.

dJJ: Not hurt, but appreciate your concern. On the contrary, it must hurt for you to constantly be falling off your chair. lol
[Edited 6/8/11 12:14pm]
"There is two kinds of music, the good, and the bad. I play the good kind."
Louis Armstrong
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/08/11 12:17pm

PapaSmurf

avatar

Led Zeppelin
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Beatles
Prince
U2
Radiohead
David Bowie
You are pure, you are snow.
We are the useless sluts that they mould.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/08/11 12:28pm

dJJ

Imaginative said:

thedance said:

^ Ps. to ask for 7 artists / acts only...

that is for me impossible... wink

As you can see from my OP, it's impossible for me too. To UltraLash: I'm sure if I pulled jazz artists out and just asked for pop, Prince would crack a top 10 for me. dJJ: Not hurt, but appreciate your concern. On the contrary, it must hurt for you to constantly be falling off your chair. lol [Edited 6/8/11 12:14pm]

I wear protection.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/08/11 12:37pm

newpowersoul

avatar

Prince

Queen

Muse

Foo Fighters

Moby

Chris Cornell

Beck

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/08/11 1:08pm

MajesticOne89

avatar

Prince

MJ

Jimi Hendrix

David Bowie

Eric Clapton (Bluesbreakers/Cream/Yardbirds)

P-Funk

Jack White

chill..prince doesnt like men being front row, makes it hard to sing the ballads
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/08/11 1:12pm

Genesia

avatar

Prince is always at #1

The rest, in no particular order:

Little Willie John

Imogen Heap

The Cars

Janelle Monáe

Jordi Savall

Annie Lennox

This list is subject to change without notice.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/08/11 1:24pm

TheDigitalGard
ener

NouveauDance said:

Prince ranks somewhere between the St. Wilfred's School Choir of "There's No One Quite Like Grandma" fame, and The Grumbleweeds.

Don't forget The Wombels.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/08/11 2:11pm

Marrk

avatar

NouveauDance said:

Prince ranks somewhere between the St. Wilfred's School Choir of "There's No One Quite Like Grandma" fame, and The Grumbleweeds.

But below the Wurzels, The Wombles and Stevie Wonder.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/08/11 2:53pm

fuzzfacefrombb
oard

King Crimson

Tool

Ween

Johnny Cash

Rush

Prince

Metallica

Ihsahn

John Prine

Warren Zevon

Top 3 are pretty locked that way with the rest revolving on mood or what I've listened to recently.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/08/11 3:03pm

TrevorAyer

janes addiction

pixies / frank black and the catholics

the cure

bob dylan and the band

bob marley and the wailers

leonard cohen

prince and the revolution

it would be easier to say it was a 7 way tie

[Edited 6/8/11 15:06pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Your Top 7 Artists? Where does Prince rank among your faves?