independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 19th Jun 2019 5:42am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Has MTV got some kind of Beef with Prince - WTF - 18/1/11 ?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/19/11 9:58am

Dreamer2

avatar

Has MTV got some kind of Beef with Prince - WTF - 18/1/11 ?

Prince Keeps It Fresh At Welcome 2 America Show

At New York's Madison Square Garden, the artist dug deep into his vault for two hours of hits.

NEW YORKPrince hasn't had a hit single in more than 15 years and has gone even longer without a legitimate hit album. eek And at 52 — after all those years of splits, spins and pivots in high heels on hard stages — he can't dance like he used to.eek

But he can still sing and play guitar, he's got a band as tightly drilled as the Special Forces, and most of all, he's got a plush featherbed of hits. And that's how he's managed to fill five New York-area arena shows:-x WTF? over the course of six weeks on his Welcome 2 America Tour: by promising — and finally delivering — the hits that his fans want. His show at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night was certainly a crowd-pleaser.

See, Prince used to mess with his audience's expectations so flagrantly, it verged on self-sabotage.confused He followed Purple Rain with the fan-confounding Around the World in a Day. He gave hits like "Nothing Compares 2 U" and "Manic Monday" to other artists.confused During stadium concerts at the peak of his popularity, he'd play "Little Red Corvette" for 45 seconds and vamp on an unreleased song for eight minutes. Even his hit-driven 2004 tour was way too heavy on unspectacular, then-new songs.

Tuesday night's show had very little of that — although it did start off with him playing annoying snippets of those cherished hits like an obnoxious dude repeatedly hitting fast-forward on a CD:-? . But after that, it was a lush, two-hour-long dive into his golden era.

There were mega-hits ("Kiss," "Take Me With U," "Raspberry Beret," "U Got the Look," "Purple Rain," "Let's Go Crazy," "1999"); mezzanine hits ("Delirious," "Controversy," "Let's Work," "Anotherloverholenyohead," "If I Was Your Girlfriend"); falsetto-dripping slow jams crammed together in the second encore ("Insatiable," "Scandalous" and "Adore," which are basically the same song); and a few curveballs for the die-hard fans ("She's Always in My Hair," plus two songs he wrote for others: Sheila E's "A Love Bizarre" and the Time's "Cool"). He didn't play all of the songs in their entirety, but he played most of a lot of them.

There were still a lot he left out: "When Doves Cry," "Little Red Corvette," "Diamonds and Pearls" and "When U Were Mine," to name just a few. He hardly played anything from the past 15 years.

And he's still weird. He played the first half of the show wearing a shirt with his own face on it.confused He made two references to getting his picture taken even though the ushers individually warned audience members not to take any. He jumped on, lay on and even dry-humped the purple grand piano several times but played it for only about two minutes. He repeatedly held his mic to Maceo Parker's saxophone, even though it had its own. confused He was nearly upstaged by a hapless stagehand who spent several minutes crawling around the stage, brushing off (by hand!) the purple confetti that earlier had rained down on the crowd. He brought a girl onstage from the audience and serenaded her tenderly with the bitter "I Love U, But I Don't Trust U Anymore." He heaped praise on opening act Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings but hurried them off the stage after they joined him for "A Love Bizarre."confused

Prince has promised to shuffle the set for every night of the tour, and while that kept things fresh, it did make for some uneven pacing. The band missed a couple of cues (prompting evil glares from their boss), and it's hard to say if there were three or four encores, as the musicians followed Prince offstage at one point only to come back seconds later.confused But the energy peaked as the evening drew to a close.

He brought a couple dozen audience members — including Jimmy Fallon, ?uestlove, Leighton Meester, Sharon Jones and a few Dap Kings — onstage for "Baby I'm a Star." (Donald Trump and Madonna were also reportedly in the audience — Prince made an obscure joke about the latter.) And he milked the evening for all it was worth: The last encore saw the band roaring through "Let's Go Crazy," "Delirious" and "1999," and at 10:55, as they were reaching the end of "Peach," Prince pretended to look at his watch (going past 11 p.m. usually means overtime pay for venue staff at the artist's expense), and launched into another three or so minutes of soloing. He then threw his Telecaster into the crowd, thanked New York one last time, and left the stage — this time, for good.mad

Have you seen Prince in concert recently? Share your concert reviews in the comments!

http://www.mtv.com/news/a...show.jhtml

Eye Was Born & Raised On The Same Plantation In The United States Of The Red, White And Blue Eye Never Knew That Eye Was Different Til Dr. King Was On The Balcony
Lying In A Bloody Pool......Call me a Dreamer 2 - R.I.P - James Brown and Michael Jackson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/19/11 10:04am

funkyandy

avatar

Who on Earth is Jem Aswad?

Thought it was a female at first, like 'Jemima', but he's a guy.

Expect snarky, bitter, uncomplimentary reviews in these tough times.

Most of the above is pure projection on his part for whatever reason,

x

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/19/11 10:05am

errant

avatar

What exactly is your problem with this article? What is untrue about it?

"does my cock look fat in these jeans?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/19/11 10:09am

JoeTyler

avatar

errant said:

What exactly is your problem with this article? What is untrue about it?

rolleyes

funkyandy said:

Most of the above is pure projection on his part for whatever reason

^THIS^ nod

tinkerbell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/19/11 10:12am

funkyandy

avatar

JoeTyler said:

errant said:

What exactly is your problem with this article? What is untrue about it?

rolleyes

funkyandy said:

Most of the above is pure projection on his part for whatever reason

^THIS^ nod

As you can see errant...it's quite plain for some to see...but each to their own.

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/19/11 10:12am

Genesia

avatar

funkyandy said:

Who on Earth is Jem Aswad?

Thought it was a female at first, like 'Jemima', but he's a guy.

Expect snarky, bitter, uncomplimentary reviews in these tough times.

Most of the above is pure projection on his part for whatever reason,

x

You'd be bitter, too, if you had a name like Asswad.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/19/11 10:12am

Marrk

avatar

I fail to see anything wrong with the article.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/19/11 10:13am

ecstasy

avatar

They are a bit critical, don't u think?

I'm guessing either a vengeful, heartbroken fan or a person who just wrote from no Prince-experience. Nothing positive came out of this whole thing exept the fact that he sold out 5 New York concert arenas

Yes, at 19, I finally saw the Revolution, a legendary band. And I talked to Wendy!!! biggrin In addition to seeing Prince, I have now lived life. Thank you Purple People!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/19/11 10:13am

funkyandy

avatar

Genesia said:

funkyandy said:

Who on Earth is Jem Aswad?

Thought it was a female at first, like 'Jemima', but he's a guy.

Expect snarky, bitter, uncomplimentary reviews in these tough times.

Most of the above is pure projection on his part for whatever reason,

x

You'd be bitter, too, if you had a name like Asswad.

Shhh!..you're not allowed to say that!...oh, you already did!

x

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/19/11 10:16am

Marrk

avatar

if you re-read the first paragraph or two, there is actually nothing to argue about.

[Edited 1/19/11 10:19am]

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/19/11 10:20am

JoeTyler

avatar

Marrk said:

if you re-read the first paragraph or two, there is actually nothing to argue about.

[Edited 1/19/11 10:19am]

hahahaahaha

oh yeah, perhaps I'm mad, or I live in another dimension, but 3121 was a NUMBER 1 album in 2006

tinkerbell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/19/11 10:28am

Marrk

avatar

JoeTyler said:

Marrk said:

if you re-read the first paragraph or two, there is actually nothing to argue about.

[Edited 1/19/11 10:19am]

hahahaahaha

oh yeah, perhaps I'm mad, or I live in another dimension, but 3121 was a NUMBER 1 album in 2006

Not in my country it wasn't.

Didn't it sink like a stone after one week on Billboard? Doesn't sound like a legitimate hit album to me.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/19/11 10:44am

errant

avatar

funkyandy said:

JoeTyler said:

^THIS^ nod

As you can see errant...it's quite plain for some to see...but each to their own.

.

Everything in the article is true. Because you don't like it doesn't make it untrue.

"does my cock look fat in these jeans?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/19/11 10:48am

funkomatic

Marrk said:

JoeTyler said:

hahahaahaha

oh yeah, perhaps I'm mad, or I live in another dimension, but 3121 was a NUMBER 1 album in 2006

Not in my country it wasn't.

Didn't it sink like a stone after one week on Billboard? Doesn't sound like a legitimate hit album to me.

Right, typical course of albums which success is based on hype, not on the quality of the actual music.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/19/11 11:10am

JoeTyler

avatar

errant said:

funkyandy said:

As you can see errant...it's quite plain for some to see...but each to their own.

.

Everything in the article is true.

falloff

PROOF???? really, any proof?? Is anything Jem says true just because his ass says so???

tinkerbell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/19/11 11:11am

HotGritz

avatar

Has MTV ever praised Prince?

I'M NOT SAYING YOU'RE UGLY. YOU JUST HAVE BAD LUCK WHEN IT COMES TO MIRRORS AND SUNLIGHT!
RIP Dick Clark, Whitney Houston, Don Cornelius, Heavy D, and Donna Summer. rose
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/19/11 11:18am

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

What's wrong with it? A lack of Famminess?

"Those that KNEW the number and didn't call...FUCK ALL Y'ALL!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/19/11 11:20am

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

JoeTyler said:

errant said:

Everything in the article is true.

falloff

PROOF???? really, any proof?? Is anything Jem says true just because his ass says so???

Is anything he said in that article not true?

"Those that KNEW the number and didn't call...FUCK ALL Y'ALL!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/19/11 11:27am

madhouseman

before we tear Asswad a new Asshole, if you look at his article, a lot of it is true. Most of Prince's hits have been propped up by tricks (distribution of his album at the concerts and counting them as sales, etc.). Prince really hasn't had any big hits since the mid 90s. Emancipation got him a lot of press and according to Prince, made him a lot of money, but Prince enjoys being eccentric and strange... and in fact, that is one of the things that most of us enjoy, but here's the tricky part...

we can't praise him for being eccentric and then be frustrated when someone points this out.

Prince is an odd bird, but an amazing musical genius. I don't think that his genius always crosses over into well planned promotion. This tour is not the headline maker he thought it would be, and most of the people I know have no clue that he is touring.

His lackluster post Warner career is reflected in his setlist. Even Prince knows that he can't do a tour of just the last 15 years of music. People wouldn't go.

The article has a point of view, but it is mostly accurate with some editorializing. As a Prince fan for 30 years, I have to read that article and be honest with myself about that.

My book PRINCE and The Purple Rain Era Studio Sessions 1983-1984 was released in November 2017. (https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Purple-Rain-Studio-Sessions/dp/1538105497/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) or go to https://www.facebook.com/...s/10915961
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/19/11 11:33am

squirrelgrease

avatar

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

What's wrong with it? A lack of Famminess?

lol

If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/19/11 11:41am

JoeTyler

avatar

Can't you just establish the difference between subjectivity (or, as andy has said, pure projection) and objectivity??? Do I need subjectivity and/or projection in a "professional" article?? NO, I DON'T

"Prince used to mess with his audience's expectations so flagrantly, it verged on self-sabotage" (pure subjectivity)

"he can't dance like he used to" (he can't, OR he doesn't want to?, is Jem his doctor/personal trainer??? WTF, of course he can't, he's 52)

"He played the first half of the show wearing a shirt with his own face on it" (eek So? Big deal? what a shitty article)

"He gave hits like "Nothing Compares 2 U" and "Manic Monday" to other artists" (So? was that something bad or that tainted his career?? eek omg is this article a joke??)

"And he's still weird" (pure subjectiveness fart)

"hurried them off the stage after they joined him for "A Love Bizarre." + "prompting evil glares from their boss" (Really? Really, Jem? what a bitter, harsh as*h*le)

Anyway, I think I wasting my time here, anyway; what a cul-de-sac thread...so obvious that it's painful...

fuck you Jem, not because you diss Prince, but because YOU ARE A BAD "journalist"... bored2

tinkerbell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/19/11 12:18pm

pzlyprk

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

What's wrong with it? A lack of Famminess?

Regardless of liking or not liking what Aswad's article says, I find your sarcasm a bit funny... considering the link you so prominently display under all of your posts. Had this been an article written about Obama in the same opinionated, subjective vein, I doubt you'd wave it off so quickly. This article may be true on multiple points, but it's definitely subjective at best.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/19/11 12:23pm

just1lousydime

avatar

Dreamer2 said: And that's how he's managed to fill five New York-area arena shows:-x WTF? over the course of six weeks on his Welcome 2 America Tour: by promising — and finally delivering — the hits that his fans want.

This is the only part that isn't necessarily true. Yes, the article is biased, but they're only giving P a taste of his own medicine. They purposely call him old news because that's what he did to them on his 20ten interviews.

time flies.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/19/11 12:24pm

ufoclub

avatar

Prince said this first:

"The Internet's like MTV," said Prince. "At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated."

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/19/11 12:57pm

Xibalba

I just want to hear what he said about Madonna! lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/19/11 1:11pm

Gohi

JoeTyler said:

Can't you just establish the difference between subjectivity (or, as andy has said, pure projection) and objectivity??? Do I need subjectivity and/or projection in a "professional" article?? NO, I DON'T

"Prince used to mess with his audience's expectations so flagrantly, it verged on self-sabotage" (pure subjectivity)

"he can't dance like he used to" (he can't, OR he doesn't want to?, is Jem his doctor/personal trainer??? WTF, of course he can't, he's 52)

"He played the first half of the show wearing a shirt with his own face on it" (eek So? Big deal? what a shitty article)

"He gave hits like "Nothing Compares 2 U" and "Manic Monday" to other artists" (So? was that something bad or that tainted his career?? eek omg is this article a joke??)

"And he's still weird" (pure subjectiveness fart)

"hurried them off the stage after they joined him for "A Love Bizarre." + "prompting evil glares from their boss" (Really? Really, Jem? what a bitter, harsh as*h*le)

Anyway, I think I wasting my time here, anyway; what a cul-de-sac thread...so obvious that it's painful...

fuck you Jem, not because you diss Prince, but because YOU ARE A BAD "journalist"... bored2

Holy crap, you're raging. Everything this article said is either true or a wel-founded opinion (which is what reviews are about). Calm down. You're being completely embarrassing. :/

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/19/11 1:24pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

errant said:

What exactly is your problem with this article? What is untrue about it?

Exaclty what I was going to say.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/19/11 1:26pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

JoeTyler said:

Can't you just establish the difference between subjectivity (or, as andy has said, pure projection) and objectivity??? Do I need subjectivity and/or projection in a "professional" article?? NO, I DON'T

"Prince used to mess with his audience's expectations so flagrantly, it verged on self-sabotage" (pure subjectivity)

"he can't dance like he used to" (he can't, OR he doesn't want to?, is Jem his doctor/personal trainer??? WTF, of course he can't, he's 52)

"He played the first half of the show wearing a shirt with his own face on it" (eek So? Big deal? what a shitty article)

"He gave hits like "Nothing Compares 2 U" and "Manic Monday" to other artists" (So? was that something bad or that tainted his career?? eek omg is this article a joke??)

"And he's still weird" (pure subjectiveness fart)

"hurried them off the stage after they joined him for "A Love Bizarre." + "prompting evil glares from their boss" (Really? Really, Jem? what a bitter, harsh as*h*le)

Anyway, I think I wasting my time here, anyway; what a cul-de-sac thread...so obvious that it's painful...

fuck you Jem, not because you diss Prince, but because YOU ARE A BAD "journalist"... bored2

God you're tiresome.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/19/11 1:40pm

emesem

Yeah its a little snarky but I agree the "I love but I dont trust you" bit was a bit bizarre, even more so that I learned the poor girl is some sort of celebrity.

I wonder if Jem was even out of diapers when AWTWIAD was released.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/19/11 2:20pm

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

pzlyprk said:

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

What's wrong with it? A lack of Famminess?

Regardless of liking or not liking what Aswad's article says, I find your sarcasm a bit funny... considering the link you so prominently display under all of your posts. Had this been an article written about Obama in the same opinionated, subjective vein, I doubt you'd wave it off so quickly. This article may be true on multiple points, but it's definitely subjective at best.

I wasn't being sarcastic. It was an honest question. shrug

Considering that link about President Obama is in my signature box. It prominently displays itself in all of my posts. wink

If I popped a blood vessel every time I read something "opinionated" and "subjective" about President Obama. I'd have had a stroke long before he ever became President and most certainly would have had one in the last two years but that's actually, neither here nor there.

While you may not like what the author of the article chose to say or how he said it, there is nothing that is not factually accurate in the article. So I just don't understand the sudden problem with subjectivity. Especially, when ALL of the raving reviews I've seen are most "definitely subjective at best".

shrug

"Those that KNEW the number and didn't call...FUCK ALL Y'ALL!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Has MTV got some kind of Beef with Prince - WTF - 18/1/11 ?