independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I'm CURIOUS about 1 thing...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/13/06 5:32pm

jedinpg

avatar

I'm CURIOUS about 1 thing...

I'm CURIOUS about 1 thing...

There seems to be a lot of people on prince.org that seem to hate, dislike, and degrade PRINCE. Why IN THE WORLD are you here? What I mean is - If the majaroty of the issues and opinions that you have with PRINCE are negative, then why not move on? Seems like a lot of wasted energy to me..... smile

** I also find it interesting and sometime humorous that some of these people make comments about what they think PRINCE did or was doing. It's like these people share the same MIND as HIM...Here is an example of what I'm talking about. (nothing personal about the person who posted it, just an example)

His most over rated album. Sounds like he recorded it on a quiet weekend because he couldn't think of anything better to do. Its fun but, despite its reputation, its not particularly funky ( unless you're very VERY white ). I've heard all the explanations, official and otherwise, about why it was never released but I'm sure its all bullshit. The guy realized it just wasn't that good. Of course he was never going to admit that that was the reason so we get all the "it was to dark", "he was reminded of his own mortality on an ecstacy trip" rubbish.

I LOVE "The Black Album" as well as his 90's work and YES "EMANCIPATION", "NEW POWER SOUL", "RAVE In2 The JOY Fantastic", "The Rainbow Children" and "MUSICOLOGY".

Thank GOD for PRINCE!

** 1 LAST thing...I persoanly know "2" people on the "org" that live in Southern California...not gonna name names but they have been on here sooooo many freakin' times putting down PRINCE and his recent work ESPECIALLY "NEW POWER SOUL" declaring it bad, not worthy, lot his edge, bland etc., etc.. ( paraphrasing )

Here's the "BEAUTY"....U ready??? These same "haters" have been at many PRINCE
shows and in line for tickets (Key Club and Pantagious Theater in LA just to name a few ) JAMING and I mean JAMING songs from "New Power Soul" and just having a party with it in front of others in line. I onced called them out on it and they said "being on the I hate Prince and his new stuff now" bandwagon is something they do on the org.

Reminds me of Rick Moranus in Space Balls getting caught playing with his dolls in his room. wink

PRINCE is INCREDIBLE because HE still makes MUSIC, ALL kinds of music his way. I'm sooooo freakin' glad that everything he created after "Purple Rain" was not a copy and sounded like it. In fact I am sooooo glad that I can pick out any one his cds 70's, 80's 90's and 00's and listen to something different. His body of work is truly amazing and special.

This was just something that puzzled me, that's all. It's not meant to offend or "flame" anyone....

Love4One Another
And LONG LIVE PRINCE!
[Edited 1/13/06 17:33pm]
[Edited 1/13/06 17:34pm]
"Tiki Coladas"
The Web Comic
www.tikicoladas.com
Updates Monday-Friday
"TIKI CENTRAL LIVE"
Friday Nights 8pm Eastern, 5pm Pacific
On www.emancipationradio.com

http://www.myspace.com/jo...ikicoladas
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/13/06 5:57pm

DiamondGirl

Name names lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/13/06 6:07pm

DiamondGirl

And though its not that difficult to ascertain his enigma bullshit for what it is (Black album situation), a hypocritical thing is those who clainm to denounce and be offended by his now specific religious stance and all that encompasses yet went to the ONA shows.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/13/06 6:17pm

3NineteeN04

avatar

I have to agree with u JediNPG. Years ago I would get n2 message board fights with a few of the haters here and what I couldn't understand is why do they keep coming back if they hate Prince so much. The fights got so bad I've had to reactivate an account here 2 or 3 times and change my screename.There they are (the so-called haters) buyin & listening to every new release and seemingly hating them all. The solution is so damn simple, if u hate an artist don't buy or listen 2 their releases.
but of course there are those who love to bitch n moan about whateva.
Don't u want to come , 3121. It's gonna be so much fun, 3121. That's where the party be, 3121. Y'all can come if u want to, but u can never leave!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/13/06 6:17pm

meow85

avatar

It's simple: We're fans, but we don't have to worship everything he is and does. I love Prince and his work for all it is, but he's had his share of musical bombs over the years, and as a person he's got some definite flaws too. Just like me, and just like you.



We don't hate Prince, but we can appreciate that he's imperfect. Being a Prince fan is at turns rewarding and wonderful, but so frustrating you want to rip out your hair. A solid fan, I think, can take the shit with sugar, because the sugar's good enough to keep us coming back for more.
[Edited 1/13/06 18:19pm]
"A Watcher scoffs at gravity!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/13/06 6:20pm

DiamondGirl

3NineteeN04 said:

I have to agree with u JediNPG. Years ago I would get n2 message board fights with a few of the haters here and what I couldn't understand is why do they keep coming back if they hate Prince so much. The fights got so bad I've had to reactivate an account here 2 or 3 times and change my screename.There they are (the so-called haters) buyin & listening to every new release and seemingly hating them all. The solution is so damn simple, if u hate an artist don't buy or listen 2 their releases.
but of course there are those who love to bitch n moan about whateva.

People come here not only because they like the new, but maybe the old, the recent, or whatever. If your dislike some output it shouldn't deter u from being at a Prince based website altogether. But if one feels they are done with Prince and hate or dispise his ideals, then past or present, it makes no sense to continue to be a part of a person who you are so against.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/13/06 8:03pm

gargamelgibson

DiamondGirl said:

And though its not that difficult to ascertain his enigma bullshit for what it is (Black album situation), a hypocritical thing is those who clainm to denounce and be offended by his now specific religious stance and all that encompasses yet went to the ONA shows.


I'd like to add those who...

...quote every lyric of Lovesexy like it's gospel and call it his last greatest album...

...recite The Lord's Prayer during Controversy...

...sing..."ha ha ha ha ha haa.... ooooohh...oooooh... seh - muh, seh -muh oooooh ooooohhh in the sweet corn the past.... oooooh lights on...nyuk, nyuk. Ooooooh ah ah.... oooooh oh leH at the end of Darling Nikki...


...released spooge during the "conversation with God" during the precious Purple Rain tour...


...sing their asses off to The Cross...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/13/06 8:34pm

DiamondGirl

gargamelgibson said:

DiamondGirl said:

And though its not that difficult to ascertain his enigma bullshit for what it is (Black album situation), a hypocritical thing is those who clainm to denounce and be offended by his now specific religious stance and all that encompasses yet went to the ONA shows.


I'd like to add those who...

...quote every lyric of Lovesexy like it's gospel and call it his last greatest album...

...recite The Lord's Prayer during Controversy...

...sing..."ha ha ha ha ha haa.... ooooohh...oooooh... seh - muh, seh -muh oooooh ooooohhh in the sweet corn the past.... oooooh lights on...nyuk, nyuk. Ooooooh ah ah.... oooooh oh leH at the end of Darling Nikki...


...released spooge during the "conversation with God" during the precious Purple Rain tour...


...sing their asses off to The Cross...


falloff
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/13/06 9:03pm

cborgman

avatar

meow85 said:

It's simple: We're fans, but we don't have to worship everything he is and does. I love Prince and his work for all it is, but he's had his share of musical bombs over the years, and as a person he's got some definite flaws too. Just like me, and just like you.



We don't hate Prince, but we can appreciate that he's imperfect. Being a Prince fan is at turns rewarding and wonderful, but so frustrating you want to rip out your hair. A solid fan, I think, can take the shit with sugar, because the sugar's good enough to keep us coming back for more.
[Edited 1/13/06 18:19pm]


nod

just because i hate his new stuff doesn't mean i suddenly don't like all the incredible stuff...

it just means i can call a turd a turd
Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. - Lord Acton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/13/06 9:40pm

SenseOfDoubt

Well, let me tell you the following: for a long time I was on the official Zappa forum; there are many nice people there, but at least one asshole - that guy is incredible. Whenever you come up with something, that this man does not like, he goes to extremes - i mean, real extremes. This guy annoyed me that much (he was insulting newbies for whatever reason), that after some time I decided to un-register. "Insiders" might know to whom I'm referring.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/14/06 12:34am

MickG

avatar

Words and their useage doesn't mean dislike. Moreover, being just a reader of our words doesn't mean you coprhend our meanings. If you choose to percieve negitives as to what we say, maybe it isn't us but you that feel that way.

Freedom of Speach!
The Power of Choice!
News: Prince pulls his head out his ass in the last moment.
Bad News: Prince wasted too much quality time doing so.
You have those internalized issues because you want to, you like to, stop.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/14/06 1:06am

langebleu

avatar

moderator

MickG said:

Words and their useage doesn't mean dislike. Moreover, being just a reader of our words doesn't mean you coprhend our meanings. If you choose to percieve negitives as to what we say, maybe it isn't us but you that feel that way.

Freedom of Speach!
The Power of Choice!

This is exactly right, MickG.

Just because I might write on a messageboard that MickG talks out of his ass, and has never said anything of any real worth on prince.org - doesn't in the least mean I dislike him.

Moreover, MickG being just the reader of my words doesn't mean that he comprehends my meaning. If he chooses to perceive negatives as to what I say, maybe it isn't me but him that feels that way.

.
ALT+PLS+RTN: Pure as a pane of ice. It's a gift.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/14/06 1:53am

NouveauDance

avatar

It's all been said a million times before, and no doubt a million times after this.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/14/06 6:29am

herb4

avatar

People expressing their tastes does not equal "hate".

If you're just looking for gushing hero worship, I think they offer that on the NPGMC forums.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/14/06 7:01am

TheBigBang

avatar

There seems to be a lot of people on prince.org that seem to hate, dislike, and degrade PRINCE. Why IN THE WORLD are you here? What I mean is - If the majaroty of the issues and opinions that you have with PRINCE are negative, then why not move on? Seems like a lot of wasted energy to me.....

** I also find it interesting and sometime humorous that some of these people make comments about what they think PRINCE did or was doing. It's like these people share the same MIND as HIM...


I think the biggest problem is the internet gives otherwise complete nobodies a sense of importance. They know whatever they post SOMEONE is going to read, and react to what they've written. The anonymity gives them the protection to be something that they generally are not. I'm not talking about everybody, of course, but I am talking about some of the people you describe. The internet is BAD for that reason. It lets people who think they are artists, but have no talent, display their work for everyone to see. And unfortunately, they let people who believe they are music critics, but don't know shit, display their words for everyone to read.

Yes, it's okay to dislike music that Prince has made. That's not the issue I have with a lot of the people you describe. What I hate is the "Prince should retire" crap. Or the "Prince should beg Wendy and Lisa back" banana bullshit. These are people with not a creative bone in their body. Because if they were creative, they would know that as an artist you constantly experiment with different things. Some things work, some things don't. But the one thing that doesn't change is that our creations are part of us. If you don't like what we're feeling, then please move along. But please stop telling an artist what they should feel.

It's too bad we continue to let these people feel important by feeding into their negative ways. These people are only as important as we let them be.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/14/06 9:43am

jedinpg

avatar

TheBigBang said:

There seems to be a lot of people on prince.org that seem to hate, dislike, and degrade PRINCE. Why IN THE WORLD are you here? What I mean is - If the majaroty of the issues and opinions that you have with PRINCE are negative, then why not move on? Seems like a lot of wasted energy to me.....

** I also find it interesting and sometime humorous that some of these people make comments about what they think PRINCE did or was doing. It's like these people share the same MIND as HIM...


I think the biggest problem is the internet gives otherwise complete nobodies a sense of importance. They know whatever they post SOMEONE is going to read, and react to what they've written. The anonymity gives them the protection to be something that they generally are not. I'm not talking about everybody, of course, but I am talking about some of the people you describe. The internet is BAD for that reason. It lets people who think they are artists, but have no talent, display their work for everyone to see. And unfortunately, they let people who believe they are music critics, but don't know shit, display their words for everyone to read.

Yes, it's okay to dislike music that Prince has made. That's not the issue I have with a lot of the people you describe. What I hate is the "Prince should retire" crap. Or the "Prince should beg Wendy and Lisa back" banana bullshit. These are people with not a creative bone in their body. Because if they were creative, they would know that as an artist you constantly experiment with different things. Some things work, some things don't. But the one thing that doesn't change is that our creations are part of us. If you don't like what we're feeling, then please move along. But please stop telling an artist what they should feel.

It's too bad we continue to let these people feel important by feeding into their negative ways. These people are only as important as we let them be.


WELL SAID! EXCELLENT!!
"Tiki Coladas"
The Web Comic
www.tikicoladas.com
Updates Monday-Friday
"TIKI CENTRAL LIVE"
Friday Nights 8pm Eastern, 5pm Pacific
On www.emancipationradio.com

http://www.myspace.com/jo...ikicoladas
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/14/06 9:59am

gargamelgibson

TheBigBang said:

There seems to be a lot of people on prince.org that seem to hate, dislike, and degrade PRINCE. Why IN THE WORLD are you here? What I mean is - If the majaroty of the issues and opinions that you have with PRINCE are negative, then why not move on? Seems like a lot of wasted energy to me.....

** I also find it interesting and sometime humorous that some of these people make comments about what they think PRINCE did or was doing. It's like these people share the same MIND as HIM...


I think the biggest problem is the internet gives otherwise complete nobodies a sense of importance. They know whatever they post SOMEONE is going to read, and react to what they've written. The anonymity gives them the protection to be something that they generally are not. I'm not talking about everybody, of course, but I am talking about some of the people you describe. The internet is BAD for that reason. It lets people who think they are artists, but have no talent, display their work for everyone to see. And unfortunately, they let people who believe they are music critics, but don't know shit, display their words for everyone to read.

Yes, it's okay to dislike music that Prince has made. That's not the issue I have with a lot of the people you describe. What I hate is the "Prince should retire" crap. Or the "Prince should beg Wendy and Lisa back" banana bullshit. These are people with not a creative bone in their body. Because if they were creative, they would know that as an artist you constantly experiment with different things. Some things work, some things don't. But the one thing that doesn't change is that our creations are part of us. If you don't like what we're feeling, then please move along. But please stop telling an artist what they should feel.

It's too bad we continue to let these people feel important by feeding into their negative ways. These people are only as important as we let them be.


clapping
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/14/06 10:24am

babynoz

TheBigBang said:

There seems to be a lot of people on prince.org that seem to hate, dislike, and degrade PRINCE. Why IN THE WORLD are you here? What I mean is - If the majaroty of the issues and opinions that you have with PRINCE are negative, then why not move on? Seems like a lot of wasted energy to me.....

** I also find it interesting and sometime humorous that some of these people make comments about what they think PRINCE did or was doing. It's like these people share the same MIND as HIM...


I think the biggest problem is the internet gives otherwise complete nobodies a sense of importance. They know whatever they post SOMEONE is going to read, and react to what they've written. The anonymity gives them the protection to be something that they generally are not. I'm not talking about everybody, of course, but I am talking about some of the people you describe. The internet is BAD for that reason. It lets people who think they are artists, but have no talent, display their work for everyone to see. And unfortunately, they let people who believe they are music critics, but don't know shit, display their words for everyone to read.

Yes, it's okay to dislike music that Prince has made. That's not the issue I have with a lot of the people you describe. What I hate is the "Prince should retire" crap. Or the "Prince should beg Wendy and Lisa back" banana bullshit. These are people with not a creative bone in their body. Because if they were creative, they would know that as an artist you constantly experiment with different things. Some things work, some things don't. But the one thing that doesn't change is that our creations are part of us. If you don't like what we're feeling, then please move along. But please stop telling an artist what they should feel.

It's too bad we continue to let these people feel important by feeding into their negative ways. These people are only as important as we let them be.





highfive
Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/14/06 10:39am

Aerogram

avatar

jedinpg said:

I'm CURIOUS about 1 thing...

There seems to be a lot of people on prince.org that seem to hate, dislike, and degrade PRINCE. Why IN THE WORLD are you here? What I mean is - If the majaroty of the issues and opinions that you have with PRINCE are negative, then why not move on? Seems like a lot of wasted energy to me..... smile

** I also find it interesting and sometime humorous that some of these people make comments about what they think PRINCE did or was doing. It's like these people share the same MIND as HIM...Here is an example of what I'm talking about. (nothing personal about the person who posted it, just an example)

His most over rated album. Sounds like he recorded it on a quiet weekend because he couldn't think of anything better to do. Its fun but, despite its reputation, its not particularly funky ( unless you're very VERY white ). I've heard all the explanations, official and otherwise, about why it was never released but I'm sure its all bullshit. The guy realized it just wasn't that good. Of course he was never going to admit that that was the reason so we get all the "it was to dark", "he was reminded of his own mortality on an ecstacy trip" rubbish.

I LOVE "The Black Album" as well as his 90's work and YES "EMANCIPATION", "NEW POWER SOUL", "RAVE In2 The JOY Fantastic", "The Rainbow Children" and "MUSICOLOGY".

Thank GOD for PRINCE!

** 1 LAST thing...I persoanly know "2" people on the "org" that live in Southern California...not gonna name names but they have been on here sooooo many freakin' times putting down PRINCE and his recent work ESPECIALLY "NEW POWER SOUL" declaring it bad, not worthy, lot his edge, bland etc., etc.. ( paraphrasing )

Here's the "BEAUTY"....U ready??? These same "haters" have been at many PRINCE
shows and in line for tickets (Key Club and Pantagious Theater in LA just to name a few ) JAMING and I mean JAMING songs from "New Power Soul" and just having a party with it in front of others in line. I onced called them out on it and they said "being on the I hate Prince and his new stuff now" bandwagon is something they do on the org.

Reminds me of Rick Moranus in Space Balls getting caught playing with his dolls in his room. wink

PRINCE is INCREDIBLE because HE still makes MUSIC, ALL kinds of music his way. I'm sooooo freakin' glad that everything he created after "Purple Rain" was not a copy and sounded like it. In fact I am sooooo glad that I can pick out any one his cds 70's, 80's 90's and 00's and listen to something different. His body of work is truly amazing and special.

This was just something that puzzled me, that's all. It's not meant to offend or "flame" anyone....

Love4One Another
And LONG LIVE PRINCE!
[Edited 1/13/06 17:33pm]
[Edited 1/13/06 17:34pm]


Well... tough!

Just take it as a compliment to Prince that they are still around years after they liked an album he released. I think deep down every naysayers knows Prince could surprise them one of these days though they bet he most likely won't. They are still around because they have a deep affection for his old catalog.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/14/06 10:42am

wonder505

I've also thought the same thing many times and I'm glad someone finally brought it up. Some of you post messages making it clear that you have been unhappy with Prince's music for the last ten years or more.

That's a really LONG TIME to be frustrated. Move on....please.....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/14/06 10:46am

SexyBeautifulO
ne

langebleu said:

MickG said:

Words and their useage doesn't mean dislike. Moreover, being just a reader of our words doesn't mean you coprhend our meanings. If you choose to percieve negitives as to what we say, maybe it isn't us but you that feel that way.

Freedom of Speach!
The Power of Choice!

This is exactly right, MickG.

Just because I might write on a messageboard that MickG talks out of his ass, and has never said anything of any real worth on prince.org - doesn't in the least mean I dislike him.

Moreover, MickG being just the reader of my words doesn't mean that he comprehends my meaning. If he chooses to perceive negatives as to what I say, maybe it isn't me but him that feels that way.

.



giggle
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/14/06 10:50am

SexyBeautifulO
ne

TheBigBang said:

There seems to be a lot of people on prince.org that seem to hate, dislike, and degrade PRINCE. Why IN THE WORLD are you here? What I mean is - If the majaroty of the issues and opinions that you have with PRINCE are negative, then why not move on? Seems like a lot of wasted energy to me.....

** I also find it interesting and sometime humorous that some of these people make comments about what they think PRINCE did or was doing. It's like these people share the same MIND as HIM...


I think the biggest problem is the internet gives otherwise complete nobodies a sense of importance. They know whatever they post SOMEONE is going to read, and react to what they've written. The anonymity gives them the protection to be something that they generally are not. I'm not talking about everybody, of course, but I am talking about some of the people you describe. The internet is BAD for that reason. It lets people who think they are artists, but have no talent, display their work for everyone to see. And unfortunately, they let people who believe they are music critics, but don't know shit, display their words for everyone to read.

Yes, it's okay to dislike music that Prince has made. That's not the issue I have with a lot of the people you describe. What I hate is the "Prince should retire" crap. Or the "Prince should beg Wendy and Lisa back" banana bullshit. These are people with not a creative bone in their body. Because if they were creative, they would know that as an artist you constantly experiment with different things. Some things work, some things don't. But the one thing that doesn't change is that our creations are part of us. If you don't like what we're feeling, then please move along. But please stop telling an artist what they should feel.

It's too bad we continue to let these people feel important by feeding into their negative ways. These people are only as important as we let them be.



EXCELLENT POST!! clapping
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/14/06 10:57am

MickG

avatar

TheBigBang said:


I think the biggest problem is the internet gives otherwise complete nobodies a sense of importance. They know whatever they post SOMEONE is going to read, and react to what they've written. The anonymity gives them the protection to be something that they generally are not. I'm not talking about everybody, of course, but I am talking about some of the people you describe. The internet is BAD for that reason. It lets people who think they are artists, but have no talent, display their work for everyone to see. And unfortunately, they let people who believe they are music critics, but don't know shit, display their words for everyone to read.

Yes, it's okay to dislike music that Prince has made. That's not the issue I have with a lot of the people you describe. What I hate is the "Prince should retire" crap. Or the "Prince should beg Wendy and Lisa back" banana bullshit. These are people with not a creative bone in their body. Because if they were creative, they would know that as an artist you constantly experiment with different things. Some things work, some things don't. But the one thing that doesn't change is that our creations are part of us. If you don't like what we're feeling, then please move along. But please stop telling an artist what they should feel.

It's too bad we continue to let these people feel important by feeding into their negative ways. These people are only as important as we let them be.


Although I don't disagree with what is being said here. I do find many flaws in the thinking. For example, the sence of "them and us" mentality. The need to call people who express themselves nonartists. The ideal that some people are worth something while others are worthless? My my my... such nastness.
News: Prince pulls his head out his ass in the last moment.
Bad News: Prince wasted too much quality time doing so.
You have those internalized issues because you want to, you like to, stop.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/14/06 2:38pm

TheBigBang

avatar

MickG said:

TheBigBang said:


I think the biggest problem is the internet gives otherwise complete nobodies a sense of importance. They know whatever they post SOMEONE is going to read, and react to what they've written. The anonymity gives them the protection to be something that they generally are not. I'm not talking about everybody, of course, but I am talking about some of the people you describe. The internet is BAD for that reason. It lets people who think they are artists, but have no talent, display their work for everyone to see. And unfortunately, they let people who believe they are music critics, but don't know shit, display their words for everyone to read.

Yes, it's okay to dislike music that Prince has made. That's not the issue I have with a lot of the people you describe. What I hate is the "Prince should retire" crap. Or the "Prince should beg Wendy and Lisa back" banana bullshit. These are people with not a creative bone in their body. Because if they were creative, they would know that as an artist you constantly experiment with different things. Some things work, some things don't. But the one thing that doesn't change is that our creations are part of us. If you don't like what we're feeling, then please move along. But please stop telling an artist what they should feel.

It's too bad we continue to let these people feel important by feeding into their negative ways. These people are only as important as we let them be.


Although I don't disagree with what is being said here. I do find many flaws in the thinking. For example, the sence of "them and us" mentality. The need to call people who express themselves nonartists. The ideal that some people are worth something while others are worthless? My my my... such nastness.


It's not nastiness at all. To expect something that an artist creates to suit you is asinine. And, unless you've commissioned something specific, to be disappointed in an artist for not making something that you like is also asinine.

"He should do it this way. He should do it that way." Asinine.

It's perfectly fine to say it doesn't suit you, but to rant about how the artist should retire, or worst yet, say that they should create the same things they created 20 years ago...is asinine.

Creative people understand the creative process. Non-creative people don't. There's a clear separation between the two.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/14/06 3:02pm

gargamelgibson

TheBigBang said:

MickG said:



Although I don't disagree with what is being said here. I do find many flaws in the thinking. For example, the sence of "them and us" mentality. The need to call people who express themselves nonartists. The ideal that some people are worth something while others are worthless? My my my... such nastness.


It's not nastiness at all. To expect something that an artist creates to suit you is asinine. And, unless you've commissioned something specific, to be disappointed in an artist for not making something that you like is also asinine.

"He should do it this way. He should do it that way." Asinine.

It's perfectly fine to say it doesn't suit you, but to rant about how the artist should retire, or worst yet, say that they should create the same things they created 20 years ago...is asinine.

Creative people understand the creative process. Non-creative people don't. There's a clear separation between the two.



EXCELLENT!! EXCELLENT!!! EXCELLENT!!!!

And this isn't ass-kissing, folks... It's just plain common sense. clapping

A reminder to those who believe a brotha owes them something...
props to N...

© Sevennynine Studios


[Edited 1/14/06 15:04pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/14/06 9:56pm

stephaniebrown

avatar

I used to be irritated by people who seemed to only have negative things to say...but I've learned that not only is it their right to do it, but it's the way we should all live our lives...

My grandmother used to make the best pies in the world...they were all different, and they tasted amazing...(I even got to taste some pieces of pies she made, but decided not to serve...the texture wasn't always perfect, but there were some gems*)...watching her make these live was an out-of-body experience...(I liked to see her jelly, but I LOVED to see her jam)...she even won a World'sBestGrammy Award for her 1984 pie...

Of course as she (and I) got older, not all of her pies suited my tastes...she still made them regularly but, in my opinion, they didn't taste as good as those she made when my pie-eating youth was being shaped...for a while I simply decided to eat pies made by other people, enjoy the memories of grandmothers pies from back in the day, and periodically try a piece here and there from her new pies...

But then I thought "BULLDROPPINGS!"--she OWED me pies that suited my current tastes...none of this experimenting (she actually made a few pies that were crust only!)...

So I logged on to grandmother.org to express my displeasure...

...boy was it cathartic!...GRANDMOTHER SUCKS!...GRANDMOTHER HASN'T MADE A GREAT PIE SINCE 1988!...THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO LIKE HER CURRENT PIES ARE THE HEINYKISSERS!... SHE COULD FART INTO A PIE CRUST AND YOU BUMBUMKISSERS WOULD GOBBLE IT UP!...

Sure, I am constantly bombarded with comments like "if you hate Grandmother so much, why are you here?" (mostly posted by family members who think they are cool by referring to themselves as faNily)...but what they don't realize is that I HAVE to post...to compensate for my combination of low IQ, tiny female breasts, and minuscule penis...

Try it some time.....










*there's a rumour that after an argument with her boyfriend, she made her best piece of pie EVER...made of Walleye...but it was so personal, too personal in fact, that she started to add all sorts of funky ingredients to deliberately ruin it...and when it was done she immediately threw it away...(this was according to a domestic engineer who was assisting her at the time)...Boy I've imagined a million times what that piece must've tasted like...



Note: For the record, the concensus at grandmother.org seems to be that her last great whole pie was from 1987...she's made some good pieces in the 90s, but she used waaay too much pie filler...in 1998 (made with her friends "the New Flour octoGenerians") she even served an entire pie filled with nothing but doodoo (except for the hidden piece)...of course there's plenty of silly stuff, like whether she's going to get her hip replaced, or if she's a lesbian (despite always being seen with very skinny and very young men)...

...But there is some excitement stirring, as she's about to serve a brand new pie--oddly named after her current address, 3121,Apt.B...(feel free to offer up opinions of her first Spanish-flavored sampling...)
"3123...that's next door to where the party be..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/14/06 11:26pm

meow85

avatar

cborgman said:

meow85 said:

It's simple: We're fans, but we don't have to worship everything he is and does. I love Prince and his work for all it is, but he's had his share of musical bombs over the years, and as a person he's got some definite flaws too. Just like me, and just like you.



We don't hate Prince, but we can appreciate that he's imperfect. Being a Prince fan is at turns rewarding and wonderful, but so frustrating you want to rip out your hair. A solid fan, I think, can take the shit with sugar, because the sugar's good enough to keep us coming back for more.
[Edited 1/13/06 18:19pm]


nod

just because i hate his new stuff doesn't mean i suddenly don't like all the incredible stuff...

it just means i can call a turd a turd



Personally, I think no matter how varied your tastes are, it's impossible to love everything Prince has done. There's so much variation in style and yeah, even quality sometimes, that anyone who tried to make themselves fall in love with it all just might make their head explode.
"A Watcher scoffs at gravity!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/14/06 11:31pm

meow85

avatar

stephaniebrown said:

something that is i'm sure Ben-Gay induced blather about granny


falloff
"A Watcher scoffs at gravity!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/15/06 1:11am

kpowers

avatar

mmmm sounds like more thang one thing, but u have a point.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/15/06 3:54am

ImYours

jedinpg said:

I'm CURIOUS about 1 thing...

There seems to be a lot of people on prince.org that seem to hate, dislike, and degrade PRINCE. Why IN THE WORLD are you here? What I mean is - If the majaroty of the issues and opinions that you have with PRINCE are negative, then why not move on? Seems like a lot of wasted energy to me..... smile

** I also find it interesting and sometime humorous that some of these people make comments about what they think PRINCE did or was doing. It's like these people share the same MIND as HIM...Here is an example of what I'm talking about. (nothing personal about the person who posted it, just an example)

His most over rated album. Sounds like he recorded it on a quiet weekend because he couldn't think of anything better to do. Its fun but, despite its reputation, its not particularly funky ( unless you're very VERY white ). I've heard all the explanations, official and otherwise, about why it was never released but I'm sure its all bullshit. The guy realized it just wasn't that good. Of course he was never going to admit that that was the reason so we get all the "it was to dark", "he was reminded of his own mortality on an ecstacy trip" rubbish.

I LOVE "The Black Album" as well as his 90's work and YES "EMANCIPATION", "NEW POWER SOUL", "RAVE In2 The JOY Fantastic", "The Rainbow Children" and "MUSICOLOGY".

Thank GOD for PRINCE!

** 1 LAST thing...I persoanly know "2" people on the "org" that live in Southern California...not gonna name names but they have been on here sooooo many freakin' times putting down PRINCE and his recent work ESPECIALLY "NEW POWER SOUL" declaring it bad, not worthy, lot his edge, bland etc., etc.. ( paraphrasing )

Here's the "BEAUTY"....U ready??? These same "haters" have been at many PRINCE
shows and in line for tickets (Key Club and Pantagious Theater in LA just to name a few ) JAMING and I mean JAMING songs from "New Power Soul" and just having a party with it in front of others in line. I onced called them out on it and they said "being on the I hate Prince and his new stuff now" bandwagon is something they do on the org.

Reminds me of Rick Moranus in Space Balls getting caught playing with his dolls in his room. wink

PRINCE is INCREDIBLE because HE still makes MUSIC, ALL kinds of music his way. I'm sooooo freakin' glad that everything he created after "Purple Rain" was not a copy and sounded like it. In fact I am sooooo glad that I can pick out any one his cds 70's, 80's 90's and 00's and listen to something different. His body of work is truly amazing and special.

This was just something that puzzled me, that's all. It's not meant to offend or "flame" anyone....

Love4One Another
And LONG LIVE PRINCE!
[Edited 1/13/06 17:33pm]
[Edited 1/13/06 17:34pm]


Right on! I would like to remind everyone that if you were on the NPGMC site, you wouldn't see much of the negative stuff you see here. I don't think this is because Prince wants to censor negative comments, but I do think he sees that there is no point in them, and that if you have critique of his music, calling it "a stinky bomb" does nothing to help anyone, I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I'm CURIOUS about 1 thing...