independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 21st Jul 2019 4:37pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Bono Discusses Prince In New Book
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 5 12345>

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/28/05 8:25am

Kacey725

Bono Discusses Prince In New Book

Fans looking to get further inside the head of the already vocal frontman of U2, Bono, have a great new opportunity in the form of "BONO: In Conversation," a book complied by French rock critic/journalist (and friend of Bono) Michka Assayas.

Printed chronologically as a series of conversations between Assayas and Bono, each chapter focuses largely on major themes such as Bono's religious beliefs, his work in Africa and with world leaders, his childhood and his thoughts on his U2 bandmates.

What might surprise some, though, is how many times the name "Prince" comes up in conversation. Name dropped nearly a dozen times throughout, Here are a few of Bono's thoughts on the Purple One:

On living the rock star life:
"These white rock stars, they think they're authentic, and that Prince is just some sort of showbiz Christmas tree. But he has more soul in his little finger than a whole harbor full of these rock bands."

Bono talks about meeting Prince in the early 90s and asking him about the word "slave" written on his face:
"There's no excuse in the twentieth century for intelligent people signing a deal they don't understand. That said, Prince deserves the best deal in the world because he is the best in the world. He's Duke Ellington to me!"

After saying that he would much rather be in a band than a solo artist because solo artists are too prone to indulgence:
"I think, in some ways, it's easier to realize a vision that's singular and in your own head, but it's harder to keep the vision going without argument. Look at Prince. He's one of my favorite composers of the twentieth century. I really believe in him. But he needs an editor. He needs a row. He needs somebody in the studio to tell him to f*ck off. 'And guess what? There's six great tracks and four of them are pretty average. I'm sorry, sir. Your genius was having a bad day.' Does he have that? No chance."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/28/05 8:37am

GuardianAngel

avatar

Kacey725 said:

Fans looking to get further inside the head of the already vocal frontman of U2, Bono, have a great new opportunity in the form of "BONO: In Conversation," a book complied by French rock critic/journalist (and friend of Bono) Michka Assayas.

Printed chronologically as a series of conversations between Assayas and Bono, each chapter focuses largely on major themes such as Bono's religious beliefs, his work in Africa and with world leaders, his childhood and his thoughts on his U2 bandmates.

What might surprise some, though, is how many times the name "Prince" comes up in conversation. Name dropped nearly a dozen times throughout, Here are a few of Bono's thoughts on the Purple One:

On living the rock star life:
"These white rock stars, they think they're authentic, and that Prince is just some sort of showbiz Christmas tree. But he has more soul in his little finger than a whole harbor full of these rock bands."

Bono talks about meeting Prince in the early 90s and asking him about the word "slave" written on his face:
"There's no excuse in the twentieth century for intelligent people signing a deal they don't understand. That said, Prince deserves the best deal in the world because he is the best in the world. He's Duke Ellington to me!"

After saying that he would much rather be in a band than a solo artist because solo artists are too prone to indulgence:
"I think, in some ways, it's easier to realize a vision that's singular and in your own head, but it's harder to keep the vision going without argument. Look at Prince. He's one of my favorite composers of the twentieth century. I really believe in him. But he needs an editor. He needs a row. He needs somebody in the studio to tell him to f*ck off. 'And guess what? There's six great tracks and four of them are pretty average. I'm sorry, sir. Your genius was having a bad day.' Does he have that? No chance."


I'll be on the lookout for a copy of that book. I will be especially interested in learning about his religious beliefs, cuz as much respect as I have for Bono - as a musician as well as a person - he kinda alienated me when he choose the late pope JP2 as his homie the way he did...

Thanks for the info, cool.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/28/05 8:39am

funkaholic1972

avatar

Cool stuff, his remarks about Prince are true! cool
RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/28/05 8:55am

8up

avatar

Editor- Hey man, you need to put some bass on "When Doves Cry."
Prince- Ok.


I don't see it happening. He's like Stephen King, no ones editing him.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/28/05 8:58am

TheFrogSpawn

Editor - Hey man, this new string-laden version of Old Friends 4 Sale sucks!

Prince - oh, okay.


woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/28/05 9:01am

klick2me

avatar

I dig Bono! And the fact that I realize that like Bono that Prince is a genius makes me feel good. All who do not catch a live show of Prince while he is still with us , is missing out big time!


Klick
klick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/28/05 9:06am

GuardianAngel

avatar

klick2me said:

I dig Bono! And the fact that I realize that like Bono that Prince is a genius makes me feel good. All who do not catch a live show of Prince while he is still with us , is missing out big time!


Klick


eek
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/28/05 9:14am

elbibknuf

avatar

Editor - Hey P, drop Larry Graham PRONTO!!!

Prince - O.K.


Editor - Nu Power Soul sucks and we won`t be releasing it.

Prince - O.K.


Editor - No more assless pants.

Prince - O.K.


Editor - We are gonna add new unreleased downloads every week to NPGMC.

Prince - O.K.


Editor - Eat something man your starting to look sickly.

Prince - O.K. (sound of a Swanson Chicken pot pie being eaten)


Editor - Hook me up with Mayte.

Prince - O.K.
The United States of America.......
Born July 04 1776
Died January 20 2009
May she rest in peace.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/28/05 9:18am

GottaLetitgo

And with these remarks, my long-standing hatred for Bono comes to an end. I have hated U2 and Bono since 1987, when the greatest travesty in the history of the Grammy's occurred, namely Sign O' The Times losing to The Joshua Tree. Okay, I knew it was going to happen but damn it, that was Prince's shot at the best album, his most ambitious album to date (and still). Seeing Prince jilted in the audience as those wankers went up on stage pissed me off to no end. (And to paraphrase the man, Prince could do what U2 did on The Joshua Tree but they could not do Housequake). Anyway I have always thought of Bono as a pretentious, moronic airbag bastard since then (even though I did dig Achtung Baby) but now, I will forgive him.

Bono's respect for the man is obvious and heart-felt and I think his comments are dead on. And I agree that Prince has needed an editor from time to time but with Prince getting the final veto power. There are things that he has done that an outsider (i.e. someone who doesn't live in his purple brain) might have knocked down that turned out to be absolutely genius. There are also experiements that Prince has had that have fallen flat on their ass. Whether there is anybody out there who could have been able to tell the difference is the question.
All good things they say never last...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/28/05 9:20am

GuardianAngel

avatar

elbibknuf said:[quote]

Lacey Duvall will you marry me?????

horny Before she puts on anymore tattoos like that fucked up one on her leg wink

_____

Gia Lashay will you marry ME?????
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/28/05 9:25am

drcoldchoke

avatar

do you think bono ever rogered prince?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/28/05 9:32am

testicleman

drcoldchoke said:

do you think bono ever rogered prince?


yes. nod

yes, i do.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/28/05 9:39am

tony50

avatar

ky

Its interesting that some people think that "editing" Prince is a wholly bad thing. Personally, I think that if he comes out with stuff that sounds different and new (eg - no bass on When Doves Cry) then he should be left alone. Some things work, some things don't.

Where he DOES need editing is on the work that is just plain dull (most of Musicality for example). Its kind of difficult to get excited about some of that stuff. Get thee back to the studio!!!!!

When you listen to the Black album, lot of Sign Of The Times, hell even Batman tonnes of stuff on there just does not sound like anything else - noises, production etc.... Nowadays I think that a guitar sounds too much like a guitar, drums sound too much like drums, keyboards sound like the same ole same ole. Its hard to explain but...anyway, I hope you don't all hate me for these comments!!! (...maybe a few pwople will even understand!)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/28/05 9:50am

jone70

avatar

Never been a fan of U2, but in the past few years I have come to respect Bono more because of his sincere committement of trying to get the world to recognize and get involved with regard to the AIDS crisis in Africa. (Check out www.data.org). The fact that he's giving Prince the respect and recognition he obviously deserves makes me like Bono even more (though I doubt I'll ever willingly listen to a U2 song). I like that he recognizes Prince as a composer and a kick ass rocker.


clapping
The check. The string he dropped. The Mona Lisa. The musical notes taken out of a hat. The glass. The toy shotgun painting. The things he found. Therefore, everything seen–every object, that is, plus the process of looking at it–is a Duchamp.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/28/05 10:01am

tackam

Prince: "jughead. . . get stupid! get stupid!"

Editor: brick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 04/28/05 10:04am

cranshaw62

(Talkbalk from the control room)

Producer: Wow! That's the most heartfelt thing you've ever recorded.

Prince: (Low voice) Thanks. It's called "Wally".

Producer: Have Susan do a final mix on it. This is definately a single.

Prince: Chocolate.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/28/05 10:25am

lovemachine

avatar

GottaLetitgo said:

And with these remarks, my long-standing hatred for Bono comes to an end. I have hated U2 and Bono since 1987, when the greatest travesty in the history of the Grammy's occurred, namely Sign O' The Times losing to The Joshua Tree. Okay, I knew it was going to happen but damn it, that was Prince's shot at the best album, his most ambitious album to date (and still). Seeing Prince jilted in the audience as those wankers went up on stage pissed me off to no end. (And to paraphrase the man, Prince could do what U2 did on The Joshua Tree but they could not do Housequake). Anyway I have always thought of Bono as a pretentious, moronic airbag bastard since then (even though I did dig Achtung Baby) but now, I will forgive him.

Bono's respect for the man is obvious and heart-felt and I think his comments are dead on. And I agree that Prince has needed an editor from time to time but with Prince getting the final veto power. There are things that he has done that an outsider (i.e. someone who doesn't live in his purple brain) might have knocked down that turned out to be absolutely genius. There are also experiements that Prince has had that have fallen flat on their ass. Whether there is anybody out there who could have been able to tell the difference is the question.


If an artist winning or losing a fake award bothers you this much for so you long you have severe issues. But I'm sure Bono will appreciate you forgiving him rolleyes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/28/05 10:38am

laurarichardso
n

elbibknuf said:

Editor - Hey P, drop Larry Graham PRONTO!!!

Prince - O.K.


Editor - Nu Power Soul sucks and we won`t be releasing it.

Prince - O.K.


Editor - No more assless pants.

Prince - O.K.


Editor - We are gonna add new unreleased downloads every week to NPGMC.

Prince - O.K.


Editor - Eat something man your starting to look sickly.

Prince - O.K. (sound of a Swanson Chicken pot pie being eaten)


Editor - Hook me up with Mayte.

Prince - O.K.

-----
When was the last time Larry popped on stage with Prince? Let it go already.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 04/28/05 10:40am

laurarichardso
n

lovemachine said:

GottaLetitgo said:

And with these remarks, my long-standing hatred for Bono comes to an end. I have hated U2 and Bono since 1987, when the greatest travesty in the history of the Grammy's occurred, namely Sign O' The Times losing to The Joshua Tree. Okay, I knew it was going to happen but damn it, that was Prince's shot at the best album, his most ambitious album to date (and still). Seeing Prince jilted in the audience as those wankers went up on stage pissed me off to no end. (And to paraphrase the man, Prince could do what U2 did on The Joshua Tree but they could not do Housequake). Anyway I have always thought of Bono as a pretentious, moronic airbag bastard since then (even though I did dig Achtung Baby) but now, I will forgive him.

Bono's respect for the man is obvious and heart-felt and I think his comments are dead on. And I agree that Prince has needed an editor from time to time but with Prince getting the final veto power. There are things that he has done that an outsider (i.e. someone who doesn't live in his purple brain) might have knocked down that turned out to be absolutely genius. There are also experiements that Prince has had that have fallen flat on their ass. Whether there is anybody out there who could have been able to tell the difference is the question.


If an artist winning or losing a fake award bothers you this much for so you long you have severe issues. But I'm sure Bono will appreciate you forgiving him rolleyes

-----
It bothers a lot of people on this board. That was Prince's last chance at getting a Grammy for best album.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 04/28/05 10:45am

klhk2booty

avatar

laurarichardson said:

elbibknuf said:

Editor - Hey P, drop Larry Graham PRONTO!!!

Prince - O.K.


Editor - Nu Power Soul sucks and we won`t be releasing it.

Prince - O.K.


Editor - No more assless pants.

Prince - O.K.


Editor - We are gonna add new unreleased downloads every week to NPGMC.

Prince - O.K.


Editor - Eat something man your starting to look sickly.

Prince - O.K. (sound of a Swanson Chicken pot pie being eaten)


Editor - Hook me up with Mayte.

Prince - O.K.

-----
When was the last time Larry popped on stage with Prince? Let it go already.












doody
[Edited 4/28/05 10:46am]
t you to frogive me. or even believe me. But I am truly sorry. What I said was out of character for me. Even if this is "just the internet"

klhk said: finger
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 04/28/05 10:50am

GoldiesParade

avatar

Kacey725 said:

He needs somebody in the studio to tell him to f*ck off.


Thats so spot on.
http://www.goldiesparade.co.uk/ - Prince discography, tour history, news and more.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 04/28/05 11:35am

NWF

avatar

NEW WAVE FOREVER: SLAVE TO THE WAVE FROM THE CRADLE TO THE GRAVE.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/28/05 11:39am

sosgemini

avatar

i want bono to fuck me after that read...fuck me real hard...


drool
Space for sale...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/28/05 11:42am

klhk

avatar

sosgemini said:

i want bono to fuck me after that read...fuck me real hard...


drool



omg




shouldn't you be in P&R?
Haters travel in packs and they are offended or threatened by klhk, haters express intense hostility toward the subject of hate. Haters are annoyed and roll thier eyes when klhk is paid a compliment. ask yourself, are u a hater?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/28/05 11:50am

baXtos

cranshaw62 said:

(Talkbalk from the control room)

Producer: Wow! That's the most heartfelt thing you've ever recorded.

Prince: (Low voice) Thanks. It's called "Wally".

Producer: Have Susan do a final mix on it. This is definately a single.

Prince: Chocolate.


And to think that we'll NEVER know... Sigh...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/28/05 12:28pm

WonderU

avatar

GoldiesParade said:

Kacey725 said:

He needs somebody in the studio to tell him to f*ck off.


Thats so spot on.


He had that with Wendy and Lisa, flame if you want, but it's true.
Prince may be the purple Yoda, but Wendy & Lisa and Eric Leeds also sit on the Jedi Council.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/28/05 12:33pm

Tom

avatar

WonderU said:

GoldiesParade said:



Thats so spot on.


He had that with Wendy and Lisa, flame if you want, but it's true.


LMAO! lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/28/05 12:49pm

calldapplwonde
ry83

About the editing thing:
I really thing it's good the way it is. I can endure NPS (there's other music out there!), knowing that everything Prince does is PURE Prince. Of course other people are involved here and there but in the end it will be great to say that it's all HIS work.
And like someone else said, editors might drop the real genius moments they just don't get.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 04/28/05 12:58pm

laurarichardso
n

WonderU said:

GoldiesParade said:



Thats so spot on.


He had that with Wendy and Lisa, flame if you want, but it's true.

-----
Yes, the world would stop turning if W&L. Were not on the around (LOL)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 04/28/05 1:04pm

WonderU

avatar

laurarichardson said:

WonderU said:



He had that with Wendy and Lisa, flame if you want, but it's true.

-----
Yes, the world would stop turning if W&L. Were not on the around (LOL)


That sentence makes as much sense as the statement you were TRYING to make lol The truth hurts dear laura.
Prince may be the purple Yoda, but Wendy & Lisa and Eric Leeds also sit on the Jedi Council.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 5 12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Bono Discusses Prince In New Book