independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 18th Oct 2019 4:58pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Kim berry's book: diamonds and curlz discussion
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 10 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 04/23/19 3:50pm

onlyforaminute

luv4u said:

Here is some of the reviews/opinions on Amazon.


https://www.amazon.com/Di...1090531354






Ok I usually don't read Amazon reviews unless there's dozens of them. I'm jaded I think most are fake. So what the heck does verified purchase mean? I know what I think it means, the person bought the item and that's it but in case it means more I'll risk asking.
Year of Return 2019
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 04/23/19 3:57pm

PennyPurple

avatar

CatB said:



Steve Parke took a dig at Kim B today by posting one of the Marbella publicity shots and crediting Saturo as Hair stylist.

In Kim's book she tells the story how Manuela brought Saturo in for 3 test sessions and that he and Prince didn't click and that Saturo stayed with his salon in NYC and Kim kept doing Prince's hair.

I don't recall having seen her back in '99 but she's adamant she created his look with the waterfall curls back then.



eek Good one for Steve. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 04/24/19 8:19am

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

onlyforaminute said:

luv4u said:

Here is some of the reviews/opinions on Amazon.


https://www.amazon.com/Di...1090531354



Ok I usually don't read Amazon reviews unless there's dozens of them. I'm jaded I think most are fake. So what the heck does verified purchase mean? I know what I think it means, the person bought the item and that's it but in case it means more I'll risk asking.



Verified Purchase means Amazon is verifying that the person leaving the review actually bought the book through Amazon and is not a random person leaving a fake review.

Troy Gua left a bitch slap review. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 04/24/19 11:16am

onlyforaminute

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:



onlyforaminute said:


luv4u said:

Here is some of the reviews/opinions on Amazon.


https://www.amazon.com/Di...1090531354





Ok I usually don't read Amazon reviews unless there's dozens of them. I'm jaded I think most are fake. So what the heck does verified purchase mean? I know what I think it means, the person bought the item and that's it but in case it means more I'll risk asking.



Verified Purchase means Amazon is verifying that the person leaving the review actually bought the book through Amazon and is not a random person leaving a fake review.

Troy Gua left a bitch slap review. lol





Ok thank you.

I've been trying to decide if I'm going to take a trip up to Seattle to see Troy's Prince doll museum.
Year of Return 2019
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 04/24/19 4:26pm

IstenSzek

avatar

i finally did read it. the most interesting thing, for me, was that she sang backing of a few tracks
and is on one released song ('Freaks On This Side').

because that's what i like to read about, information about his music, no matter how small of a
detail.

i found it to be very 'meh'. but it's not like she's the devil y'all are making her out to be right now.

i doubt that she would make shit up about his family or some of the very intimate details that are
hinted at here and there.

but since she doesn't really set the mood or provide relevant context in most of those cases, when
she drops one of those harsh observations it's something that leaves you reeling, like 'wtf? what'd
i just read', where for her, supposedly, it's something she's talked about with prince on various or
at least a few occasions. it makes you go 'what? so tell us more about this, or don't say anything.
don't just hit n run us like that'

is her book the better for those few 'shock' observations? i don't think so. i could have done without
them, i don't care about them. i'd have rather she'd provided some more of those funny or endearing
stories she used to share before. the book could have been twice as big, focussing on more pleasant
subjects. lord knows she had 30 something years worth of stories to pick from.

but i guess she's saving those for volume 2 or 3? girl, 'in search of lost time', this is not. talk to the hand






and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 04/25/19 11:51am

rogifan

Looks like Kim is doing meet and greets and book signings in Minneapolis. I wonder what kind of turnout she’ll get.

262xxro.jpg2ztitqb.jpg
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 04/25/19 12:12pm

ThatWhiteDude

avatar

rogifan said:

Looks like Kim is doing meet and greets and book signings in Minneapolis. I wonder what kind of turnout she’ll get.

262xxro.jpg2ztitqb.jpg

The best thing would be if no one would go there. I‘d love to see that even more than people calling her out
"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."


"Extra cheese, extra HAM, extra bullshit" -DiminutiveRocker
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 04/25/19 12:40pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

ThatWhiteDude said:

rogifan said:

Looks like Kim is doing meet and greets and book signings in Minneapolis. I wonder what kind of turnout she’ll get.

262xxro.jpg2ztitqb.jpg

The best thing would be if no one would go there. I‘d love to see that even more than people calling her out


That would be brilliant if nobody turned up. Although, I do have to question why anyone would actually want to meet her. Even if you're a fan of the book, she's a nobody. What would be the point?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 04/25/19 12:48pm

rogifan

EmmaMcG said:

ThatWhiteDude said:


The best thing would be if no one would go there. I‘d love to see that even more than people calling her out


That would be brilliant if nobody turned up. Although, I do have to question why anyone would actually want to meet her. Even if you're a fan of the book, she's a nobody. What would be the point?

Oh I agree. But I’m sure some Celebration attendees will show up.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 04/25/19 12:55pm

CatB

EmmaMcG said:

ThatWhiteDude said:
The best thing would be if no one would go there. I‘d love to see that even more than people calling her out


That would be brilliant if nobody turned up. Although, I do have to question why anyone would actually want to meet her. Even if you're a fan of the book, she's a nobody. What would be the point?



Getting a haircut? And dating tips? boxed


"Time is space spent with U"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 04/25/19 12:58pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

rogifan said:

EmmaMcG said:



That would be brilliant if nobody turned up. Although, I do have to question why anyone would actually want to meet her. Even if you're a fan of the book, she's a nobody. What would be the point?

Oh I agree. But I’m sure some Celebration attendees will show up.


Yeah, no doubt some people will show up. Purely because she knew Prince. I don't understand "fandom" sometimes. Although, I met Prince once so if anyone wants a meet and greet with me, feel free to ask. It will cost €50. And you'll have to come to Ireland. If you want a picture with me then that will be an additional €50. And autographs are an extra €25*. You can also purchase authentic** EmmaMcG souvenirs, such as a Batgirl mug I drank from and a hair clip I found on the floor of my car.




*autographs may not actually be my own signature.

** souvenirs are NOT authentic.
[Edited 4/25/19 12:59pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 04/25/19 1:25pm

muchtoofast

avatar

CatB said:



EmmaMcG said:


ThatWhiteDude said:
The best thing would be if no one would go there. I‘d love to see that even more than people calling her out



That would be brilliant if nobody turned up. Although, I do have to question why anyone would actually want to meet her. Even if you're a fan of the book, she's a nobody. What would be the point?



Getting a haircut? And dating tips? boxed



Simple curiosity.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 04/25/19 1:32pm

onlyforaminute

muchtoofast said:

CatB said:



EmmaMcG said:


ThatWhiteDude said:
The best thing would be if no one would go there. I‘d love to see that even more than people calling her out



That would be brilliant if nobody turned up. Although, I do have to question why anyone would actually want to meet her. Even if you're a fan of the book, she's a nobody. What would be the point?



Getting a haircut? And dating tips? boxed



Simple curiosity.



I'll admit the book answered a question or two that's been bugging me after I let it settle for a minute and laughed my way through the shadier bits. It is what it is.
Year of Return 2019
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 04/25/19 2:34pm

IstenSzek

avatar

so what are people going to bring to the meet and greet for her to sign?

a pdf print of the illegal copy of her book they downloaded? lol giggle





and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 04/25/19 2:38pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

IstenSzek said:

so what are people going to bring to the meet and greet for her to sign?

a pdf print of the illegal copy of her book they downloaded? lol giggle






Probably one has to buy the actual book at the meet and greet, and then get it signed by her.

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 04/25/19 4:22pm

ThatWhiteDude

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

rogifan said:
Oh I agree. But I’m sure some Celebration attendees will show up.
Yeah, no doubt some people will show up. Purely because she knew Prince. I don't understand "fandom" sometimes. Although, I met Prince once so if anyone wants a meet and greet with me, feel free to ask. It will cost €50. And you'll have to come to Ireland. If you want a picture with me then that will be an additional €50. And autographs are an extra €25*. You can also purchase authentic** EmmaMcG souvenirs, such as a Batgirl mug I drank from and a hair clip I found on the floor of my car. *autographs may not actually be my own signature. ** souvenirs are NOT authentic. [Edited 4/25/19 12:59pm]

You met him once? I'm jealous! But I agree, I can count the people (from those who knew him) I wanna meet on three fingers: 1. Susan Rogers 2. Morris Day 3. DrFunkenberry, that's about it. Okay maybe Morris Hayes too, but Kim? Even if she wouldn't have done the stuff she did, I wouldn't be interested in meeting her.

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."


"Extra cheese, extra HAM, extra bullshit" -DiminutiveRocker
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 04/25/19 4:47pm

PennyPurple

avatar

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 04/25/19 5:01pm

IstenSzek

avatar

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 04/25/19 5:06pm

ThatWhiteDude

avatar

[Off topic snip - luv4u]

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."


"Extra cheese, extra HAM, extra bullshit" -DiminutiveRocker
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 04/26/19 1:28am

EmmaMcG

avatar

ThatWhiteDude said:



EmmaMcG said:


rogifan said:
Oh I agree. But I’m sure some Celebration attendees will show up.

Yeah, no doubt some people will show up. Purely because she knew Prince. I don't understand "fandom" sometimes. Although, I met Prince once so if anyone wants a meet and greet with me, feel free to ask. It will cost €50. And you'll have to come to Ireland. If you want a picture with me then that will be an additional €50. And autographs are an extra €25*. You can also purchase authentic** EmmaMcG souvenirs, such as a Batgirl mug I drank from and a hair clip I found on the floor of my car. *autographs may not actually be my own signature. ** souvenirs are NOT authentic. [Edited 4/25/19 12:59pm]

You met him once? I'm jealous! But I agree, I can count the people (from those who knew him) I wanna meet on three fingers: 1. Susan Rogers 2. Morris Day 3. DrFunkenberry, that's about it. Okay maybe Morris Hayes too, but Kim? Even if she wouldn't have done the stuff she did, I wouldn't be interested in meeting her.



You don't want to meet me? I won't charge you €50. Is €45 OK?
razz
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 04/26/19 11:07am

ThatWhiteDude

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

ThatWhiteDude said:

You met him once? I'm jealous! But I agree, I can count the people (from those who knew him) I wanna meet on three fingers: 1. Susan Rogers 2. Morris Day 3. DrFunkenberry, that's about it. Okay maybe Morris Hayes too, but Kim? Even if she wouldn't have done the stuff she did, I wouldn't be interested in meeting her.

You don't want to meet me? I won't charge you €50. Is €45 OK? razz

45 ? That sounds reasonable! We got a deal razz

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."


"Extra cheese, extra HAM, extra bullshit" -DiminutiveRocker
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 04/26/19 1:56pm

muchtoofast

avatar

IstenSzek said:

so what are people going to bring to the meet and greet for her to sign?

a pdf print of the illegal copy of her book they downloaded? lol giggle






[Off topic snip - luv4u]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 04/26/19 5:14pm

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

I actually enjoyed this book - I seem to be in the minority.

I don’t know I believe she was present when baby was born but I do believe she was there when poor mayte was on bed rest. I could be wrong and she was there when little one came, I don’t know, I certainly wasn't there.


I wish some of the teasers at the end had been expanded on. There is plenty of prince being a dick in there. That’s important as he wasn’t a god he was a human and I think most of us are the not so good way than the other most of the time!

The contrast between how she speaks of m1 and m2 is fascinatingly blunt. M2 I’m surprised at I have to say. That incident was cold. Wouldn’t you be grateful to even be provided with that kind of service in that situation? You’d have to read the book to know what I mean don’t think I’m allowed to write anything copyright infringing.
[Edited 4/26/19 17:23pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 04/26/19 5:40pm

muchtoofast

avatar

IstenSzek said:

so what are people going to bring to the meet and greet for her to sign?

a pdf print of the illegal copy of her book they downloaded? lol giggle






I hope not a lot of that happened sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 04/26/19 6:31pm

Mumio

avatar

muchtoofast said:

IstenSzek said:

so what are people going to bring to the meet and greet for her to sign?

a pdf print of the illegal copy of her book they downloaded? lol giggle





I hope not a lot of that happened sad




A TON of it happened over all the different social media venues nod

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 04/26/19 9:46pm

pinkcashmere23

coldcoffeeandcocacola said:

I actually enjoyed this book - I seem to be in the minority. I don’t know I believe she was present when baby was born but I do believe she was there when poor mayte was on bed rest. I could be wrong and she was there when little one came, I don’t know, I certainly wasn't there. I wish some of the teasers at the end had been expanded on. There is plenty of prince being a dick in there. That’s important as he wasn’t a god he was a human and I think most of us are the not so good way than the other most of the time! The contrast between how she speaks of m1 and m2 is fascinatingly blunt. M2 I’m surprised at I have to say. That incident was cold. Wouldn’t you be grateful to even be provided with that kind of service in that situation? You’d have to read the book to know what I mean don’t think I’m allowed to write anything copyright infringing. [Edited 4/26/19 17:23pm]

Kim was shown briefly at the beginning of the Oprah interview so we know she was there for that but I'm skeptical as well about her claims of being present at the birth of their baby and some other incidents she discussed. The teasers at the end were what I was hoping the book would cover since she had touched on some of the stories in her interviews and said there would be plenty more like it. I recall that in her interview with Andrea Swennson for The Current she asked her about the story behind Prince's light up shoes and Kim said that she would have to wait for the book for that one and that story wasn't included either. I was kind of disappointed about that. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 04/26/19 10:04pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar



There are a lot of photos of her at Celebration with fans.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 04/27/19 2:12am

Kares

avatar

muchtoofast said:


IstenSzek said:

so what are people going to bring to the meet and greet for her to sign?

a pdf print of the illegal copy of her book they downloaded? lol giggle

I hope not a lot of that happened sad

.
I would ask her to sign my pirated pdf on screen and immediately delete it in front of her.

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 04/27/19 8:23am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

pinkcashmere23 said:

coldcoffeeandcocacola said:

I actually enjoyed this book - I seem to be in the minority. I don’t know I believe she was present when baby was born but I do believe she was there when poor mayte was on bed rest. I could be wrong and she was there when little one came, I don’t know, I certainly wasn't there. I wish some of the teasers at the end had been expanded on. There is plenty of prince being a dick in there. That’s important as he wasn’t a god he was a human and I think most of us are the not so good way than the other most of the time! The contrast between how she speaks of m1 and m2 is fascinatingly blunt. M2 I’m surprised at I have to say. That incident was cold. Wouldn’t you be grateful to even be provided with that kind of service in that situation? You’d have to read the book to know what I mean don’t think I’m allowed to write anything copyright infringing. [Edited 4/26/19 17:23pm]

Kim was shown briefly at the beginning of the Oprah interview so we know she was there for that but I'm skeptical as well about her claims of being present at the birth of their baby and some other incidents she discussed. The teasers at the end were what I was hoping the book would cover since she had touched on some of the stories in her interviews and said there would be plenty more like it. I recall that in her interview with Andrea Swennson for The Current she asked her about the story behind Prince's light up shoes and Kim said that she would have to wait for the book for that one and that story wasn't included either. I was kind of disappointed about that. smile

Part 2, part 3...

"4 all of us, life is death without adventure,& adventure only comes 2 those who are willing 2 b daring & take chances." prince AMA's 1985
“When eye say, ‘eye own “Purple Rain,” eye sound like Kanye.” He paused.“Who eye consider a friend.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 04/27/19 8:30am

PennyPurple

avatar

Mumio said:

muchtoofast said:

I hope not a lot of that happened sad




A TON of it happened over all the different social media venues nod

It sure did. I bet more copies were obtained that way then the books sold.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 10 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Kim berry's book: diamonds and curlz discussion