independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 14th Oct 2019 3:52pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Prince's True Love Of His Life
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 18 of 18 « First<9101112131415161718
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #510 posted 02/21/19 5:35pm

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:

violetcrush said:

Oh yes, and interestingly, on the Crystal Ball CD the first song was the title track and the last song was Goodbye sad I know he mish-mashed a bunch of songs from different periods on there, but I think there was a hidden message there. He recorded Wasted Kisses during the time she got married, and he was carrying around the original "glitter" cane during that time too. Then you've got the Rave album with Strange But True and Tangerine. This could all just be coincidence, but it's all pretty interesting stuff!!

I had never considered that before. That is interesting. Several songs on the set were llikely inspired by her as well. Didn't know that about the glitter cane. It's interesting but sad too. I wonder what Susannah's feelings were for him. She spoke so fondly of him in her interview with Toure.

[Edited 2/21/19 16:49pm]

Susannah stated that Prince was the "lover" of her life - not sexually, although I'm sure that is part of it - but he was the one who gave her the best experiences to make her the person she became. I thought that was an awesome sentiment.

*

My guess is that she really did love him, but sadly came to realize that he just was not going to change his ways. Many of his behaviors would not allow for a sustainable relationship. Like she said, being in a relationship was lonely -both emotionally and literally when he would leave for his "womanizing" binges. Wendy stated that their relationship was impossible but it inspired some incredible music sad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #511 posted 02/21/19 5:44pm

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

I had never considered that before. That is interesting. Several songs on the set were llikely inspired by her as well. Didn't know that about the glitter cane. It's interesting but sad too. I wonder what Susannah's feelings were for him. She spoke so fondly of him in her interview with Toure.

[Edited 2/21/19 16:49pm]

Susannah stated that Prince was the "lover" of her life - not sexually, although I'm sure that is part of it - but he was the one who gave her the best experiences to make her the person she became. I thought that was an awesome sentiment.

*

My guess is that she really did love him, but sadly came to realize that he just was not going to change his ways. Many of his behaviors would not allow for a sustainable relationship. Like she said, being in a relationship was lonely -both emotionally and literally when he would leave for his "womanizing" binges. Wendy stated that their relationship was impossible but it inspired some incredible music sad

Yes I remember her saying that. That's quite a compliment. I agree. I have to admit when I read in DMSR that when they arrived in France he had her put on a plane and sent back home so he could "play" I was a bit put out with him thinking about that. Yes,if nothing else,the music is amazing!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #512 posted 02/21/19 5:55pm

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:

violetcrush said:

Susannah stated that Prince was the "lover" of her life - not sexually, although I'm sure that is part of it - but he was the one who gave her the best experiences to make her the person she became. I thought that was an awesome sentiment.

*

My guess is that she really did love him, but sadly came to realize that he just was not going to change his ways. Many of his behaviors would not allow for a sustainable relationship. Like she said, being in a relationship was lonely -both emotionally and literally when he would leave for his "womanizing" binges. Wendy stated that their relationship was impossible but it inspired some incredible music sad

Yes I remember her saying that. That's quite a compliment. I agree. I have to admit when I read in DMSR that when they arrived in France he had her put on a plane and sent back home so he could "play" I was a bit put out with him thinking about that. Yes,if nothing else,the music is amazing!

It's interesting though. That definitely happened (him putting her back on the plane), however, now we know from her discussion with Toure, that it was after they were in Paris for a week together. Seems he put her back on the plane when they arrived in Nice from Paris, which makes more sense, as Jerome has mentioned him, Prince and Wally running around on their scooters there, and I'm sure chasing women. So, that one magazine article from 1987 where it was written that Prince was calling her multiple times a day while he was there makes sense too. He did fly her back there though, because they filmed the Girls & Boys video in Nice, and she's showcased in that video. She also talked about staying at the rented house there and going snorkeling with Prince, so she was there for awhile too. I believe he took her to Italy too after the last day of filming. Although, they may have flown back to MN after Paris to do the 1st Avenue show, because that show was on August 13th. Wow, what a schedule they had!!! No wonder it's hard to remember dates and places. They were constantly flying from one place to the next.

*

But yes, up and down like a rollercoaster they were with their relationship. Clearly, based on the songs they went through several "break-up then make-up" periods. That reminds me of his unreleased song "Your Love Is So Hard" - "our love is like a rollercoaster, up and down we go..." I didn't think that song could be connected to her based on the recording date, but now that she has confirmed they continued their affair for several years after she left MN I see that it very well could have been about her smile

[Edited 2/21/19 17:56pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #513 posted 02/21/19 6:05pm

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

Yes I remember her saying that. That's quite a compliment. I agree. I have to admit when I read in DMSR that when they arrived in France he had her put on a plane and sent back home so he could "play" I was a bit put out with him thinking about that. Yes,if nothing else,the music is amazing!

It's interesting though. That definitely happened (him putting her back on the plane), however, now we know from her discussion with Toure, that it was after they were in Paris for a week together. Seems he put her back on the plane when they arrived in Nice from Paris, which makes more sense, as Jerome has mentioned him, Prince and Wally running around on their scooters there, and I'm sure chasing women. So, that one magazine article from 1987 where it was written that Prince was calling her multiple times a day while he was there makes sense too. He did fly her back there though, because they filmed the Girls & Boys video in Nice, and she's showcased in that video. She also talked about staying at the rented house there and going snorkeling with Prince, so she was there for awhile too. I believe he took her to Italy too after the last day of filming. Although, they may have flown back to MN after Paris to do the 1st Avenue show, because that show was on August 13th. Wow, what a schedule they had!!! No wonder it's hard to remember dates and places. They were constantly flying from one place to the next.

*

But yes, up and down like a rollercoaster they were with their relationship. Clearly, based on the songs they went through several "break-up then make-up" periods. That reminds me of his unreleased song "Your Love Is So Hard" - "our love is like a rollercoaster, up and down we go..." I didn't think that song could be connected to her based on the recording date, but now that she has confirmed they continued their affair for several years after she left MN I see that it very well could have been about her smile

[Edited 2/21/19 17:56pm]

I think it may have been about her too. That makes sense that it was after their trip to Paris and true she did come back for the 'Girls and Boys' shoot. I didn't know he took her to Italy after the last day of filming. How sweet!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #514 posted 02/21/19 6:12pm

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:

violetcrush said:

It's interesting though. That definitely happened (him putting her back on the plane), however, now we know from her discussion with Toure, that it was after they were in Paris for a week together. Seems he put her back on the plane when they arrived in Nice from Paris, which makes more sense, as Jerome has mentioned him, Prince and Wally running around on their scooters there, and I'm sure chasing women. So, that one magazine article from 1987 where it was written that Prince was calling her multiple times a day while he was there makes sense too. He did fly her back there though, because they filmed the Girls & Boys video in Nice, and she's showcased in that video. She also talked about staying at the rented house there and going snorkeling with Prince, so she was there for awhile too. I believe he took her to Italy too after the last day of filming. Although, they may have flown back to MN after Paris to do the 1st Avenue show, because that show was on August 13th. Wow, what a schedule they had!!! No wonder it's hard to remember dates and places. They were constantly flying from one place to the next.

*

But yes, up and down like a rollercoaster they were with their relationship. Clearly, based on the songs they went through several "break-up then make-up" periods. That reminds me of his unreleased song "Your Love Is So Hard" - "our love is like a rollercoaster, up and down we go..." I didn't think that song could be connected to her based on the recording date, but now that she has confirmed they continued their affair for several years after she left MN I see that it very well could have been about her smile

[Edited 2/21/19 17:56pm]

I think it may have been about her too. That makes sense that it was after their trip to Paris and true she did come back for the 'Girls and Boys' shoot. I didn't know he took her to Italy after the last day of filming. How sweet!

The Italy trip was written in that 1987 article. My guess is that she was back in MN for a bit - until Prince had his "fill" with some women, and then he brought her back to finish out the time there.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #515 posted 02/21/19 6:25pm

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

I think it may have been about her too. That makes sense that it was after their trip to Paris and true she did come back for the 'Girls and Boys' shoot. I didn't know he took her to Italy after the last day of filming. How sweet!

The Italy trip was written in that 1987 article. My guess is that she was back in MN for a bit - until Prince had his "fill" with some women, and then he brought her back to finish out the time there.

Ohh ok. I'm sure she knew what he was up to. In DMSR i seem to recall that Alan Leed's wife was angry at Prince for sending Susannah home.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #516 posted 02/21/19 6:40pm

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:

violetcrush said:

The Italy trip was written in that 1987 article. My guess is that she was back in MN for a bit - until Prince had his "fill" with some women, and then he brought her back to finish out the time there.

Ohh ok. I'm sure she knew what he was up to. In DMSR i seem to recall that Alan Leed's wife was angry at Prince for sending Susannah home.

Yes, I think it was a tough situation for Karen Krattinger, his personal assistant//manager, because she and Susannah became very close friends. Here's a picture of them Sept 1988 when Susannah, Wendy and Lisa were back in MN and on stage during the LoveSexy show at the Met Center:

*

Image result for susannah melvoin and karen krattinger

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #517 posted 02/21/19 6:47pm

TheTruth123

Imagine Prince's delight to find that his guitarist had a sister and she was heterosexual and pretty too smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #518 posted 02/21/19 6:54pm

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

Ohh ok. I'm sure she knew what he was up to. In DMSR i seem to recall that Alan Leed's wife was angry at Prince for sending Susannah home.

Yes, I think it was a tough situation for Karen Krattinger, his personal assistant//manager, because she and Susannah became very close friends. Here's a picture of them Sept 1988 when Susannah, Wendy and Lisa were back in MN and on stage during the LoveSexy show at the Met Center:

*

Image result for susannah melvoin and karen krattinger

Yes. It may have mentioned that she was put out with his behavior as well. Peggy McCreary too. I recall that one of the ladies talked about Susannah going back to Minnesota and decorating the home they were to share,

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #519 posted 02/21/19 7:32pm

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:

violetcrush said:

Yes, I think it was a tough situation for Karen Krattinger, his personal assistant//manager, because she and Susannah became very close friends. Here's a picture of them Sept 1988 when Susannah, Wendy and Lisa were back in MN and on stage during the LoveSexy show at the Met Center:

*

Image result for susannah melvoin and karen krattinger

Yes. It may have mentioned that she was put out with his behavior as well. Peggy McCreary too. I recall that one of the ladies talked about Susannah going back to Minnesota and decorating the home they were to share,

Yes, I think it was Karen K and Susannah who did the planning and shopping for the interior. She was interviewed several years ago - maybe late 90's or early 2000's talking about working for Prince, and there were pictures of the inside of the Galpin home shown. I'll see if I can find that video clip.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #520 posted 02/21/19 7:34pm

violetcrush

TheTruth123 said:

Imagine Prince's delight to find that his guitarist had a sister and she was heterosexual and pretty too smile

Yes! I loved her story of walking up to him at the WB Christmas party. No wonder he just stared at her biggrin Susan Rogers had stated that he loved Wendy and her personality, and when he met Susannah he was just completely smitten with her.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #521 posted 02/21/19 7:37pm

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

Yes. It may have mentioned that she was put out with his behavior as well. Peggy McCreary too. I recall that one of the ladies talked about Susannah going back to Minnesota and decorating the home they were to share,

Yes, I think it was Karen K and Susannah who did the planning and shopping for the interior. She was interviewed several years ago - maybe late 90's or early 2000's talking about working for Prince, and there were pictures of the inside of the Galpin home shown. I'll see if I can find that video clip.

Yep that sounds right. I wish I still had DMSR. The chapter on Parade and UTCM was so interesting to me because it's my fave era. Per wrote in detail about the recording process of the album as well.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #522 posted 02/21/19 7:55pm

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:

violetcrush said:

Yes, I think it was Karen K and Susannah who did the planning and shopping for the interior. She was interviewed several years ago - maybe late 90's or early 2000's talking about working for Prince, and there were pictures of the inside of the Galpin home shown. I'll see if I can find that video clip.

Yep that sounds right. I wish I still had DMSR. The chapter on Parade and UTCM was so interesting to me because it's my fave era. Per wrote in detail about the recording process of the album as well.

Here's the YT video showing Karen K talking about a "day in the life" of her schedule working for Prince in the 80's. It's one of those "Sanford Watch" videos where they sort of dog her out at the end for sharing information 15 yrs ago, but I don't think she really shared anything that personal. She mentions checking with Susannah about a new washing machine when talking about her "to do" list. There are interior pics of, I think, the Galpin house - living room and bedroom, and pics of the "aftermath" of one of his birthday bashes - looks like it may have been in 1985 b/c there's a white bath tub in the middle of the room biggrin

*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G1KDi0Ud6E

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #523 posted 02/21/19 7:59pm

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

Yep that sounds right. I wish I still had DMSR. The chapter on Parade and UTCM was so interesting to me because it's my fave era. Per wrote in detail about the recording process of the album as well.

Here's the YT video showing Karen K talking about a "day in the life" of her schedule working for Prince in the 80's. It's one of those "Sanford Watch" videos where they sort of dog her out at the end for sharing information 15 yrs ago, but I don't think she really shared anything that personal. She mentions checking with Susannah about a new washing machine when talking about her "to do" list. There are interior pics of, I think, the Galpin house - living room and bedroom, and pics of the "aftermath" of one of his birthday bashes - looks like it may have been in 1985 b/c there's a white bath tub in the middle of the room biggrin

*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G1KDi0Ud6E

Cool! Thanks. That was interesting to see some of the rooms of the Galpin house. I thought it looked very nice!

[Edited 2/21/19 20:20pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #524 posted 02/22/19 4:10am

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:



violetcrush said:




pinkcashmere23 said:



Yep that sounds right. I wish I still had DMSR. The chapter on Parade and UTCM was so interesting to me because it's my fave era. Per wrote in detail about the recording process of the album as well.




Here's the YT video showing Karen K talking about a "day in the life" of her schedule working for Prince in the 80's. It's one of those "Sanford Watch" videos where they sort of dog her out at the end for sharing information 15 yrs ago, but I don't think she really shared anything that personal. She mentions checking with Susannah about a new washing machine when talking about her "to do" list. There are interior pics of, I think, the Galpin house - living room and bedroom, and pics of the "aftermath" of one of his birthday bashes - looks like it may have been in 1985 b/c there's a white bath tub in the middle of the room biggrin


*


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G1KDi0Ud6E



Cool! Thanks. That was interesting to see some of the rooms of the Galpin house. I thought it looked very nice!

[Edited 2/21/19 20:20pm]


Yes, I thought she and Karen did a nice job on the interior.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #525 posted 02/22/19 7:46am

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

Cool! Thanks. That was interesting to see some of the rooms of the Galpin house. I thought it looked very nice!

[Edited 2/21/19 20:20pm]

Yes, I thought she and Karen did a nice job on the interior.

Yes she did. I had read in DMSR that she and Susannah decorated the interior together. I'd love to see the paintings that Susannah did that Prince mentioned in 'Crystal Ball'

[Edited 2/22/19 10:04am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #526 posted 02/22/19 2:39pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

I want to add something that I hope affects everyones understanding and explainations of 'inspirations' for Prince songs, when whether here or other places, you are debating on who and how a song must be about someone (ususally a woman).

Think of the song MUTINY

Mutiny is inspired by Morris Day and Jesse Johnson, leaving the camp because he felt he should lead the band(the Time) and Prince felt that lead was not his place. When you listen to rehearsals with the Revolution, St Paul/Susannah, or just Prince live or studio, you will also hear him call out Jesse. Later he call out St Paul sometimes, but Jesse Johnson is the initial 'inspiration'. Morris Day is also called out in the middle and at the end(Morris, did U give) which is something Morris used to say at some Time shows where they would pass out an offering plate saying "Prince, U took, did U give" etc

With that being said, Prince formed the inspiration to also sound to be a break up between a Man and a Woman or Lovers etc

Get off!
Baby, when U went away
U stayed away 2 long
Baby, what can I say?
No one does me wrong (And gets away with it)
Mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more hip
Now baby, when U talk 2 me
U don't have much 2 say
Baby, why can't we be
Lost in love like yesterday?
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more ...
Darlin', darlin' with unity
Huh, no one, but no one could make us fall
Darlin', now there's mutiny
Huh, maybe U should have called
Get off!
Get off!
Jesse
Mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up this ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more hip
Get off
Get off
Morris
Baby, U treated me
Like some unwanted child
Baby, it's all over now
I loved U all the while
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more ...
Get off! {x4}
Vogue
All the way vogue {repeat 2 fade}
(Say it y'all)
([U know I'm bullshittin', I'll keep it all])
(Morris, did U give?)
...did U give
(Lord)
#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #527 posted 02/22/19 3:01pm

violetcrush

OldFriends4Sale said:

I want to add something that I hope affects everyones understanding and explainations of 'inspirations' for Prince songs, when whether here or other places, you are debating on who and how a song must be about someone (ususally a woman).

Think of the song MUTINY

Mutiny is inspired by Jesse Johnson, leaving the camp because he felt he should lead the band(the Time) and Prince felt that lead was not his place. When you listen to rehearsals with the Revolution, St Paul/Susannah, or just Prince live or studio, you will also hear him call out Jesse. Later he call out St Paul sometimes, but Jesse Johnson is the initial 'inspiration'.

With that being said, Prince formed the inspiration to also sound to be a break up between a Man and a Woman or Lovers etc

Get off!
Baby, when U went away
U stayed away 2 long
Baby, what can I say?
No one does me wrong (And gets away with it)
Mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more hip
Now baby, when U talk 2 me
U don't have much 2 say
Baby, why can't we be
Lost in love like yesterday?
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more ...
Darlin', darlin' with unity
Huh, no one, but no one could make us fall
Darlin', now there's mutiny
Huh, maybe U should have called
Get off! {x2}
Mutiny!
I said
Baby, U treated me
Like some unwanted child
Baby, it's all over now
I loved U all the while
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more ...
Get off! {x4}
Vogue
All the way vogue {repeat 2 fade}
(Say it y'all)
([U know I'm bullshittin', I'll keep it all])
(Morris, did U give?)
([Miko], did U give?)
(Lord)

Oh I agree - Mutiny is definitely a song that he would play at various times to "call out" or focus on certain people - both male associates and possibly girlfriends - as in the '87 New Morning aftershow which seemed to be targeted at a woman, but I guess could have been directed at another male associate too. That particular song is the type that could be applied to anyone whom he feeled had betrayed him by leaving his camp - both business or romantically related.

*

I think there are certain songs though, that were inspired by a specific person in his life at the time they were recorded, especially his love songs. Again, he wrote and recorded "in the moment" and used people and events happening at that time to shape his music. As Susannah said, "It was always about the music. What am I doing - what are we doing together in this moment that will inspire the music?" Some contain cryptic clues, and some don't.

*

Many of his songs have some type of story or original inspiration tied to them - whether trivial or more important. As I had commented on an earlier post - Empty Room clearly has a more significant meaning than Poom Poom or 18 & Over. Dark or Goodbye is more significant than 319 or Get Off. I think certain songs represented things/people which were more important to him than others.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #528 posted 02/22/19 4:43pm

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

I want to add something that I hope affects everyones understanding and explainations of 'inspirations' for Prince songs, when whether here or other places, you are debating on who and how a song must be about someone (ususally a woman).

Think of the song MUTINY

Mutiny is inspired by Jesse Johnson, leaving the camp because he felt he should lead the band(the Time) and Prince felt that lead was not his place. When you listen to rehearsals with the Revolution, St Paul/Susannah, or just Prince live or studio, you will also hear him call out Jesse. Later he call out St Paul sometimes, but Jesse Johnson is the initial 'inspiration'.

With that being said, Prince formed the inspiration to also sound to be a break up between a Man and a Woman or Lovers etc

Get off!
Baby, when U went away
U stayed away 2 long
Baby, what can I say?
No one does me wrong (And gets away with it)
Mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more hip
Now baby, when U talk 2 me
U don't have much 2 say
Baby, why can't we be
Lost in love like yesterday?
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more ...
Darlin', darlin' with unity
Huh, no one, but no one could make us fall
Darlin', now there's mutiny
Huh, maybe U should have called
Get off! {x2}
Mutiny!
I said
Baby, U treated me
Like some unwanted child
Baby, it's all over now
I loved U all the while
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more ...
Get off! {x4}
Vogue
All the way vogue {repeat 2 fade}
(Say it y'all)
([U know I'm bullshittin', I'll keep it all])
(Morris, did U give?)
([Miko], did U give?)
(Lord)

Oh I agree - Mutiny is definitely a song that he would play at various times to "call out" or focus on certain people - both male associates and possibly girlfriends - as in the '87 New Morning aftershow which seemed to be targeted at a woman, but I guess could have been directed at another male associate too. That particular song is the type that could be applied to anyone whom he feeled had betrayed him by leaving his camp - both business or romantically related.

*

I think there are certain songs though, that were inspired by a specific person in his life at the time they were recorded, especially his love songs. Again, he wrote and recorded "in the moment" and used people and events happening at that time to shape his music. As Susannah said, "It was always about the music. What am I doing - what are we doing together in this moment that will inspire the music?" Some contain cryptic clues, and some don't.

*

Many of his songs have some type of story or original inspiration tied to them - whether trivial or more important. As I had commented on an earlier post - Empty Room clearly has a more significant meaning than Poom Poom or 18 & Over. Dark or Goodbye is more significant than 319 or Get Off. I think certain songs represented things/people which were more important to him than others.

I agree. Susan Rogers seemed to think that as well. I'm reminded of her quote in DMSR about 'Wally' She talked about how distraught Prince was over Susannah leaving at the time it was written and recorded.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #529 posted 02/22/19 4:59pm

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:



violetcrush said:




OldFriends4Sale said:




I want to add something that I hope affects everyones understanding and explainations of 'inspirations' for Prince songs, when whether here or other places, you are debating on who and how a song must be about someone (ususally a woman).



Think of the song MUTINY



Mutiny is inspired by Jesse Johnson, leaving the camp because he felt he should lead the band(the Time) and Prince felt that lead was not his place. When you listen to rehearsals with the Revolution, St Paul/Susannah, or just Prince live or studio, you will also hear him call out Jesse. Later he call out St Paul sometimes, but Jesse Johnson is the initial 'inspiration'.

With that being said, Prince formed the inspiration to also sound to be a break up between a Man and a Woman or Lovers etc












Get off!

Baby, when U went away
U stayed away 2 long
Baby, what can I say?
No one does me wrong (And gets away with it)

Mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more hip

Now baby, when U talk 2 me
U don't have much 2 say
Baby, why can't we be
Lost in love like yesterday?

I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more ...

Darlin', darlin' with unity
Huh, no one, but no one could make us fall
Darlin', now there's mutiny
Huh, maybe U should have called
Get off! {x2}

Mutiny!
I said



Baby, U treated me
Like some unwanted child
Baby, it's all over now
I loved U all the while

I'm talkin' mutiny!
I said I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U gotta take a little trip
I'm talkin' mutiny!
I'm takin' over
U gotta give up the ship
U should've been a little more ...
Get off! {x4}

Vogue
All the way vogue {repeat 2 fade}
(Say it y'all)
([U know I'm bullshittin', I'll keep it all])
(Morris, did U give?)
([Miko], did U give?)
(Lord)











Oh I agree - Mutiny is definitely a song that he would play at various times to "call out" or focus on certain people - both male associates and possibly girlfriends - as in the '87 New Morning aftershow which seemed to be targeted at a woman, but I guess could have been directed at another male associate too. That particular song is the type that could be applied to anyone whom he feeled had betrayed him by leaving his camp - both business or romantically related.


*


I think there are certain songs though, that were inspired by a specific person in his life at the time they were recorded, especially his love songs. Again, he wrote and recorded "in the moment" and used people and events happening at that time to shape his music. As Susannah said, "It was always about the music. What am I doing - what are we doing together in this moment that will inspire the music?" Some contain cryptic clues, and some don't.


*


Many of his songs have some type of story or original inspiration tied to them - whether trivial or more important. As I had commented on an earlier post - Empty Room clearly has a more significant meaning than Poom Poom or 18 & Over. Dark or Goodbye is more significant than 319 or Get Off. I think certain songs represented things/people which were more important to him than others.



I agree. Susan Rogers seemed to think that as well. I'm reminded of her quote in DMSR about 'Wally' She talked about how distraught Prince was over Susannah leaving at the time it was written and recorded.


There are many stories like that - from that intense session with Susan Rogers to the story Ruth Azarte told Questlove about Glasscutter - how he recorded the song right after she told her friend it was so cold in MN her nippkes could cut glass lol Too funny. So many stories, and I think that's what made his songs so honest. They really were autobiographical.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #530 posted 02/22/19 5:10pm

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

I agree. Susan Rogers seemed to think that as well. I'm reminded of her quote in DMSR about 'Wally' She talked about how distraught Prince was over Susannah leaving at the time it was written and recorded.

There are many stories like that - from that intense session with Susan Rogers to the story Ruth Azarte told Questlove about Glasscutter - how he recorded the song right after she told her friend it was so cold in MN her nippkes could cut glass lol Too funny. So many stories, and I think that's what made his songs so honest. They really were autobiographical.

I was surprised to learn that 'Glasscutter' was inspired by Ruth's conversation but that was hilarious what she said to him about buying a bell for him to where around his neck so she could hear him coming. lol Yes, one reason I found him so fascinating as an artist was his authenticity in his lyrics and that he was sharing his life through his music.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #531 posted 02/22/19 5:16pm

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:



violetcrush said:


pinkcashmere23 said:


I agree. Susan Rogers seemed to think that as well. I'm reminded of her quote in DMSR about 'Wally' She talked about how distraught Prince was over Susannah leaving at the time it was written and recorded.



There are many stories like that - from that intense session with Susan Rogers to the story Ruth Azarte told Questlove about Glasscutter - how he recorded the song right after she told her friend it was so cold in MN her nippkes could cut glass lol Too funny. So many stories, and I think that's what made his songs so honest. They really were autobiographical.

I was surprised to learn that 'Glasscutter' was inspired by Ruth's conversation but that was hilarious what she said to him about buying a bell for him to where around his neck so she could hear him coming. lol Yes, one reason I found him so fascinating as an artist was his authenticity in his lyrics and that he was sharing his life through his music.


Yes, she was funny. Her story about Prince riding in her junky car and saying, "do you think anyone would believe I would be riding in this car??' lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #532 posted 02/22/19 5:22pm

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

I was surprised to learn that 'Glasscutter' was inspired by Ruth's conversation but that was hilarious what she said to him about buying a bell for him to where around his neck so she could hear him coming. lol Yes, one reason I found him so fascinating as an artist was his authenticity in his lyrics and that he was sharing his life through his music.

Yes, she was funny. Her story about Prince riding in her junky car and saying, "do you think anyone would believe I would be riding in this car??' lol

lol I missed that story. I heard her story about the Super Bowl and how Prince was in a bad mood that weekend and she broke him out of it by re-enacting a scene from when he appeared on The Muppets. Lol She shared some funny stories on her IG as well. I'd love a book from her.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #533 posted 02/22/19 5:31pm

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:



violetcrush said:


pinkcashmere23 said:


I was surprised to learn that 'Glasscutter' was inspired by Ruth's conversation but that was hilarious what she said to him about buying a bell for him to where around his neck so she could hear him coming. lol Yes, one reason I found him so fascinating as an artist was his authenticity in his lyrics and that he was sharing his life through his music.



Yes, she was funny. Her story about Prince riding in her junky car and saying, "do you think anyone would believe I would be riding in this car??' lol

lol I missed that story. I heard her story about the Super Bowl and how Prince was in a bad mood that weekend and she broke him out of it by re-enacting a scene from when he appeared on The Muppets. Lol She shared some funny stories on her IG as well. I'd love a book from her.


She told the car story at the very end of the Questlove podcast. She also joked that she needs to start writing her book. I'm sure she has lots of great stories.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #534 posted 02/22/19 5:44pm

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

lol I missed that story. I heard her story about the Super Bowl and how Prince was in a bad mood that weekend and she broke him out of it by re-enacting a scene from when he appeared on The Muppets. Lol She shared some funny stories on her IG as well. I'd love a book from her.

She told the car story at the very end of the Questlove podcast. She also joked that she needs to start writing her book. I'm sure she has lots of great stories.

Oh ok. I didn't get to finish the podcast. I'll listen to it again. Yeah I'm sure she does. I loved the ones she has shared.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 18 of 18 « First<9101112131415161718
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Prince's True Love Of His Life