independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 19th May 2019 8:47pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > MJ: The Bad Outtake vs. the album cut
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 09/16/18 1:19am

bboy87

avatar

imprimis said:

Although this runs contrary to QJ's anecdotes, this song was most likely first recorded towards, or shortly after the period the Bad LP's configuration had already been finalized and put into production, late mid-1987, possibly with additional work during time-off from the first leg of the Bad Tour, making its status as an actual candidate for the tracklist a questionable recollection.

.

Some of its themes were incorporated into performances of 'The Way You Make Me Feel' (which it of course borrows from itself).

.

As a matter of commercial necessity, the album would not have been 'pop' enough without 'Another Part of Me', and Jackson and the studios were not going to allow the tie-in with 'Captain Eo' to lapse, which would be present at Disney parks through as late as ~1997.

.

[Edited 9/15/18 11:41am]

It was considered for the album (the version that is available on the special edition of Bad and Bad 25 is a later mix done in 1988 by Bill Bottrell though). Brad Sundberg who worked on the album, posted pics of cassettes of some tapes and one was a early configuration of Bad

and some fans at the site MJJ Collectors got a hold of this early artwork of the album sleeve with this

"We may deify or demonize them but not ignore them. And we call them genius, because they are the people who change the world."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 09/16/18 5:49am

RODSERLING

imprimis said:

Although this runs contrary to QJ's anecdotes, this song was most likely first recorded towards, or shortly after the period the Bad LP's configuration had already been finalized and put into production, late mid-1987, possibly with additional work during time-off from the first leg of the Bad Tour, making its status as an actual candidate for the tracklist a questionable recollection.


.


Some of its themes were incorporated into performances of 'The Way You Make Me Feel' (which it of course borrows from itself).


.


As a matter of commercial necessity, the album would not have been 'pop' enough without 'Another Part of Me', and Jackson and the studios were not going to allow the tie-in with 'Captain Eo' to lapse, which would be present at Disney parks through as late as ~1997.


.

[Edited 9/15/18 11:41am]



Hé should have released We Are Here To Change the World as a B-side of APOM. Would have increased the hype around the single Who missed the top Ten in the USa (#11!).

I agree, I think the tracklist of every of his albums were the best choices possible...until Invincible came out.

I would have liked that songs such as Steetwalker to be included- and re recorded for Invincible instead of You are My Life or others craps.

Hé should have gather all his unreleased tracks and release them as albums After Invincible, like Prince did.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 09/16/18 6:00am

imprimis

From the first photo, one can speculate that 'Streetwalker' may also have been considered for the CD version of the album as a 'bonus' track, in lieu of 'Leave Me Alone'.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 09/18/18 7:25am

LouieLestate

Another Part of Me is almost MJ's anthem, it's that good.

Streetwalker is a mere B-side to many sides.

It could also never hope to replace Leave Me Alone, now THAT's my funk.

"We're not hitchhiking anymore!....we're riding!!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 09/18/18 12:46pm

Cinny

avatar

If you like "Leave Me Alone", check out The J.B.'s 1973 R&B hit, "Doing It To Death". smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 09/18/18 3:31pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Cinny said:

If you like "Leave Me Alone", check out The J.B.'s 1973 R&B hit, "Doing It To Death". smile


Actually "The Way You Make Me Feel" comes closer to that shuffle in "Doing It To Death".

Also, the horns sound like something on an EP from Prince. "New Power Generation" maybe? I can't recall but when I hear it, it reminds me of a segue on a Prince song.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 09/18/18 6:03pm

bboy87

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

Cinny said:

If you like "Leave Me Alone", check out The J.B.'s 1973 R&B hit, "Doing It To Death". smile


Actually "The Way You Make Me Feel" comes closer to that shuffle in "Doing It To Death".

Also, the horns sound like something on an EP from Prince. "New Power Generation" maybe? I can't recall but when I hear it, it reminds me of a segue on a Prince song.

Someone pointed out The Way You Make Me Feel takes a lot of cues from Gavin Christopher's "One Step Closer"

and of course, from Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears From Fears

makes me want to hear the demo, "Hot Fever" that goes back to 1984

"We may deify or demonize them but not ignore them. And we call them genius, because they are the people who change the world."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 09/18/18 7:25pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

bboy87 said:

TrivialPursuit said:


Actually "The Way You Make Me Feel" comes closer to that shuffle in "Doing It To Death".

Also, the horns sound like something on an EP from Prince. "New Power Generation" maybe? I can't recall but when I hear it, it reminds me of a segue on a Prince song.

Someone pointed out The Way You Make Me Feel takes a lot of cues from Gavin Christopher's "One Step Closer"

and of course, from Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears From Fears

makes me want to hear the demo, "Hot Fever" that goes back to 1984


Yeah, that shuffle was popular (always has been, really) in the 80s. Tears for Fears, MJ, etc etc. Some resemble each other more than others.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 09/19/18 3:59am

EekAhBoo

I find myself listening to Streetwalker more. I love that bassline, and the intro.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 09/19/18 6:57am

Derek1984

avatar

bboy87 said:

TrivialPursuit said:


Actually "The Way You Make Me Feel" comes closer to that shuffle in "Doing It To Death".

Also, the horns sound like something on an EP from Prince. "New Power Generation" maybe? I can't recall but when I hear it, it reminds me of a segue on a Prince song.

Someone pointed out The Way You Make Me Feel takes a lot of cues from Gavin Christopher's "One Step Closer"

and of course, from Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears From Fears

makes me want to hear the demo, "Hot Fever" that goes back to 1984

Hot Fever was registered in 1985, along with What You Do To Me. Not sure if it was actually first recorded in 1984? Why haven't we heard Hot Fever yet? How different is it? Come on Estate.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 09/19/18 7:15am

Cinny

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

Cinny said:

If you like "Leave Me Alone", check out The J.B.'s 1973 R&B hit, "Doing It To Death". smile


Actually "The Way You Make Me Feel" comes closer to that shuffle in "Doing It To Death".


That one too!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 09/19/18 1:55pm

bboy87

avatar

Derek1984 said:

bboy87 said:

Someone pointed out The Way You Make Me Feel takes a lot of cues from Gavin Christopher's "One Step Closer"

and of course, from Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears From Fears

makes me want to hear the demo, "Hot Fever" that goes back to 1984

Hot Fever was registered in 1985, along with What You Do To Me. Not sure if it was actually first recorded in 1984? Why haven't we heard Hot Fever yet? How different is it? Come on Estate.

What You Do To Me, Hot Fever, Tomboy, Dirty Diana, and Smooth Criminal were all registered on one tape in '85 (although Dirty Diana was registered prior in '83)

I think John Barnes said they began work on it in '84, but I may be mistaken. I know he said Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Alright Now, and a few more were done in '84 though

"We may deify or demonize them but not ignore them. And we call them genius, because they are the people who change the world."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 09/20/18 5:33am

Derek1984

avatar

bboy87 said:

Derek1984 said:

Hot Fever was registered in 1985, along with What You Do To Me. Not sure if it was actually first recorded in 1984? Why haven't we heard Hot Fever yet? How different is it? Come on Estate.

What You Do To Me, Hot Fever, Tomboy, Dirty Diana, and Smooth Criminal were all registered on one tape in '85 (although Dirty Diana was registered prior in '83)

I think John Barnes said they began work on it in '84, but I may be mistaken. I know he said Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Alright Now, and a few more were done in '84 though

I want that DAT!

I believe What You Do To Me was worked on later as well. Maybe for Invincible? I assume when Ralph Tresvant recorded Alright Now, he got to listen to MJ's version. I also guess the instrumentation is probably very similar. Not sure why any of these tracks haven't been released yet.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 09/24/18 1:04am

bboy87

avatar

Derek1984 said:

bboy87 said:

What You Do To Me, Hot Fever, Tomboy, Dirty Diana, and Smooth Criminal were all registered on one tape in '85 (although Dirty Diana was registered prior in '83)

I think John Barnes said they began work on it in '84, but I may be mistaken. I know he said Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Alright Now, and a few more were done in '84 though

I want that DAT!

I believe What You Do To Me was worked on later as well. Maybe for Invincible? I assume when Ralph Tresvant recorded Alright Now, he got to listen to MJ's version. I also guess the instrumentation is probably very similar. Not sure why any of these tracks haven't been released yet.

Yeah, it along with Chicago 1945 was re-done for Invincible in 2000-2001.

"We may deify or demonize them but not ignore them. And we call them genius, because they are the people who change the world."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 09/25/18 5:20am

SamSamba

avatar

SoulAlive said:

"Just Good Friends" should have been ditched.It's just not a good song.

"Just Good Friends" is a beautiful song. I've never understood the hate. Even Q himself seems to "hate" it. It has gorgeous chord progressions and it's caked in awesome glistening 1987 production. Both Mike and Stevie also sing their butts off on it.

[Edited 9/25/18 5:24am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 09/25/18 5:23am

SamSamba

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:


So the vote is this: which do you prefer? "Another Part of Me" or "Streetwalker"?


.

"Another Part Of Me" is one of my favorite songs on BAD, but "Streetwalker" is also good. In addition to MJ, I love the swinging beat (on APoM), the awesome lil "THX" intro sound, Phillinganes' Moog bass slides and so on. It's just a good song, there's no denying it.

[Edited 9/25/18 5:25am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > MJ: The Bad Outtake vs. the album cut