independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 17th Jan 2018 2:58am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Not dead yet: Record executives fight for compact disc's future
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/29/17 10:14pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Not dead yet: Record executives fight for compact disc's future

In 'the year of streaming,' those shiny little discs prove they still have life left in them


http://www.cbc.ca/news/en...-1.4467596




music-sales-plummeting.jpg

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/29/17 10:21pm

SoulAlive

I still buy CDs smile I like to have the liner notes,photos,etc.I need a physical copy of the music.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/29/17 10:24pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

SoulAlive said:

I still buy CDs smile I like to have the liner notes,photos,etc.I need a physical copy of the music.


Me too. As well as vinyl

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/30/17 1:58am

PANDURITO

avatar

CDs woot! CDs woot! CDs woot!

I only download what I can't get physically. If there's a better version than CD (DVD-A. SACD or lately BD) I buy that one

(phisyedit)

[Edited 12/30/17 3:17am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/30/17 9:58am

lastdecember

avatar

Yeah and as great as all this might be and yes I still buy CD's they at this point are becoming like Collectors items and a lot of the artists I follow when they release music they put out extra stuff with it to get people to actually buy a cd and not download it. BUT the bigger issue is you have killed all the Music Stores and those that carry cds still like a Best Buy have no form of catalog on any artists and also many new releases they actually dont carry. Barnes and Noble at this point seems to be the only one with deep catalog and all new releases regardless of genre or where they are chart wise, but their pricing is high unless your a member because LABELS who want to save the CD they actually have raised their prices selling the CDS to stores, and factor that in with rent costs for stores where is this FIGHT going, unless you drop the price and allow stores to stay open, it wont matter you forced everyone to stream and go digital.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/30/17 10:30am

PatrickS77

avatar

Of course there is still life in it. The only way I ever will pay for music is CDs (or BR). I will never pay for something digital (unless it's part of something else, like Amazon prime).

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/30/17 4:54pm

TrivialPursuit

People have been pounding the death knell on CDs for years. I don't believe they're going anywhere. People still love the novelty of a box set or bonus tracks or a booklet or artwork; things often unappreciated in digital form. If CDs were to have died off by now, LPs wouldn't have made a resurgence in popularity in the last decade. I would think all physical formats would die off, rather than one dying over another. While that argument seems to be muted by the banishment of 8-tracks, reel to reel, and cassettes, there is counterargument in the fact that CDs are still here 30 years later, and that (really when one considers DJs alone) vinyl never really went away either.

The real issue is that music is expensive to physically manufacture. Has pricing at a pressing planet gone up? No. The missing variable is that it is no longer the only format available.

MP3s and download is the obvious threat here, not that CDs are just an old format. The fact that they've stayed around 30 years is impressive. There have been attempts at other formats like DVD-Audio, SACD, etc., but they never quite stuck. The money isn't flowing in like it used to, yet I would be the cost of it has stayed the same. It's like a reverse inflation. That's the problem. They want to kill the format because no one is making money on it anymore.

Frankly they're stupid for trying to kill it. What they should have done is just lower the price on it. The conspiracy to keep prices high 20 years in or beyond is evident that they're more worried about money than the artist or the consumer. The fact that CDs are anywhere near $20 in 2017 is vulgar. They dug their own grave with that conspiracy and I don't blame things like Napster or Kazaa from popping up to inadvertently combat the greed. So unless retailers are going to act as record companies (like Target & Walmart already do), then companies like TransWorld (FYE, Record Town) and the like will most likely fight to keep the format alive and in their stores.


This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/30/17 6:42pm

PatrickS77

avatar

TrivialPursuit said

Frankly they're stupid for trying to kill it. What they should have done is just lower the price on it. The conspiracy to keep prices high 20 years in or beyond is evident that they're more worried about money than the artist or the consumer. The fact that CDs are anywhere near $20 in 2017 is vulgar. They dug their own grave with that conspiracy and I don't blame things like Napster or Kazaa from popping up to inadvertently combat the greed. So unless retailers are going to act as record companies (like Target & Walmart already do), then companies like TransWorld (FYE, Record Town) and the like will most likely fight to keep the format alive and in their stores.


Yeah. It's always the industry that kills things. Or more like the greed of it. Latest example 3D TV and Blu-Rays. No wonder no one buys it when they cost twice as much than regular ones.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/30/17 7:20pm

TrivialPursuit

PatrickS77 said:

TrivialPursuit said

Frankly they're stupid for trying to kill it. What they should have done is just lower the price on it. The conspiracy to keep prices high 20 years in or beyond is evident that they're more worried about money than the artist or the consumer. The fact that CDs are anywhere near $20 in 2017 is vulgar. They dug their own grave with that conspiracy and I don't blame things like Napster or Kazaa from popping up to inadvertently combat the greed. So unless retailers are going to act as record companies (like Target & Walmart already do), then companies like TransWorld (FYE, Record Town) and the like will most likely fight to keep the format alive and in their stores.


Yeah. It's always the industry that kills things. Or more like the greed of it. Latest example 3D TV and Blu-Rays. No wonder no one buys it when they cost twice as much than regular ones.


They tout it when it works, and poo-poo it when the gimmick is exposed as such.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/30/17 10:07pm

musicman

lastdecember said:

Yeah and as great as all this might be and yes I still buy CD's they at this point are becoming like Collectors items and a lot of the artists I follow when they release music they put out extra stuff with it to get people to actually buy a cd and not download it. BUT the bigger issue is you have killed all the Music Stores and those that carry cds still like a Best Buy have no form of catalog on any artists and also many new releases they actually dont carry. Barnes and Noble at this point seems to be the only one with deep catalog and all new releases regardless of genre or where they are chart wise, but their pricing is high unless your a member because LABELS who want to save the CD they actually have raised their prices selling the CDS to stores, and factor that in with rent costs for stores where is this FIGHT going, unless you drop the price and allow stores to stay open, it wont matter you forced everyone to stream and go digital.

I was just telling my friends this. I got a Barnes and Noble discount card because I seem to be buying a lot of my new music from there. However, I do live in Atlanta- where there are record stores, and I try to support them.

It's always fun for me going into a record shop.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/31/17 1:49am

FullLipsDotNos
e

avatar

My grandparents were using them instead of scarecrows biggrin

full lips, freckles, and upturned nose
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/31/17 7:42pm

tump

Never paid for a streaming service or lossy ( mp3, aac, etc) music file in my life. Never intend to. The industry offers you lossy poop with virtually no added costs ( packaging, distribution ) and with reduced quality than a format invented several decades ago?

Tempting but I'll pass.

Why buy? I have no reason to. I can always make a lossy file from a CD. And so much more ( FLAC, etc). Streaming services don't appeal to me since I hate 99.999% of the music.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/01/18 12:58pm

SoulAlive

luv4u said:

SoulAlive said:

I still buy CDs smile I like to have the liner notes,photos,etc.I need a physical copy of the music.


Me too. As well as vinyl

nod yep....vinyl and CDs

I have Spotify and I enjoy it....but I'll never give up on vinyl and CDs.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/01/18 10:12pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

musicman said:

lastdecember said:

Yeah and as great as all this might be and yes I still buy CD's they at this point are becoming like Collectors items and a lot of the artists I follow when they release music they put out extra stuff with it to get people to actually buy a cd and not download it. BUT the bigger issue is you have killed all the Music Stores and those that carry cds still like a Best Buy have no form of catalog on any artists and also many new releases they actually dont carry. Barnes and Noble at this point seems to be the only one with deep catalog and all new releases regardless of genre or where they are chart wise, but their pricing is high unless your a member because LABELS who want to save the CD they actually have raised their prices selling the CDS to stores, and factor that in with rent costs for stores where is this FIGHT going, unless you drop the price and allow stores to stay open, it wont matter you forced everyone to stream and go digital.

I was just telling my friends this. I got a Barnes and Noble discount card because I seem to be buying a lot of my new music from there. However, I do live in Atlanta- where there are record stores, and I try to support them.

It's always fun for me going into a record shop.

In NYC, Barnes and Nobles is one of the few places that have a significant catalog available. In a bit over a decade, New York lost huge record stores, like HMV, Tower, Virgin and J&R Music World. There are NO major music stores left in the city...SAD !

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/03/18 12:42am

SoulAlive

in my city,we have a couple of independent record stores....Rasputin and Streetlight Records...but I mostly just buy CDs online now.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/03/18 12:58am

novabrkr

Gotta fight for the chance to sell the existing product in the storage and for the distribution network that still remains in their control. shrug

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/03/18 10:31am

djThunderfunk

avatar

heart CD cool

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/03/18 4:21pm

luvsexy4all

why cant they set up a system where u can buy CD or stream or vinyl and have it made for u ...it wouldnt be expensive

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/03/18 5:10pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

why cant they set up a system where u can buy CD or stream or vinyl and have it made for u ...it wouldnt be expensive


Made to order vinyl would be VERRRY expensive. They do have made to order CDs (and DVDs) but they don't last nearly as long as mass produced dics.

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/03/18 5:13pm

luvsexy4all

jjhunsecker said:

musicman said:

I was just telling my friends this. I got a Barnes and Noble discount card because I seem to be buying a lot of my new music from there. However, I do live in Atlanta- where there are record stores, and I try to support them.

It's always fun for me going into a record shop.

In NYC, Barnes and Nobles is one of the few places that have a significant catalog available. In a bit over a decade, New York lost huge record stores, like HMV, Tower, Virgin and J&R Music World. There are NO major music stores left in the city...SAD !

tell me about it....theres one in staten island...pretty good

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/03/18 8:53pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

djThunderfunk said:

heart CD cool


nod

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/04/18 9:08am

paisleypark4

avatar

I went to Target to get that Maroon 5 album day of sale. They wanted. $17.00 for the CD. NOPE. if it was the vinyl I would have snatched it up...but a CD on sale for $17.00..no maam. Try me at $9.99

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/04/18 10:14am

peedub

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

luvsexy4all said:

why cant they set up a system where u can buy CD or stream or vinyl and have it made for u ...it wouldnt be expensive


Made to order vinyl would be VERRRY expensive. They do have made to order CDs (and DVDs) but they don't last nearly as long as mass produced dics.



i just purchased, from amazon, the made to order compact disc of the soundtrack for 'brawl in cell block 99'. it's pretty good quality. everything is nicely printed on all sides, and the disc itself is printed as opposed to having a printed sticker applied. i figure it'll probably last longer than my ipod...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/04/18 10:17am

djThunderfunk

avatar

peedub said:

djThunderfunk said:


Made to order vinyl would be VERRRY expensive. They do have made to order CDs (and DVDs) but they don't last nearly as long as mass produced dics.



i just purchased, from amazon, the made to order compact disc of the soundtrack for 'brawl in cell block 99'. it's pretty good quality. everything is nicely printed on all sides, and the disc itself is printed as opposed to having a printed sticker applied. i figure it'll probably last longer than my ipod...


Make a back-up ASAP! wink

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/04/18 11:46am

lastdecember

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

I went to Target to get that Maroon 5 album day of sale. They wanted. $17.00 for the CD. NOPE. if it was the vinyl I would have snatched it up...but a CD on sale for $17.00..no maam. Try me at $9.99

This is the same battle that went on all the time, the labels and execs want to SAVE the cd or whatever, but they charge stores almost 13-14 dollars a CD to sell that for 9$ is suicide for stores and why Best Buy and all these stores DO NOT do it anymore, the new Taylor Swift cd since its release has never been under $15, so the Labels are Full of it that they want to save the CD, they want to save their jobs that is all. But its useless because like i said Music Retailers are gone, Mom and Pops cant survive much longer, here in NYC i have seen almost every little store go under because of it. So if Amazon is the one retailer left whats the point


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/04/18 2:53pm

paisleypark4

avatar

lastdecember said:

paisleypark4 said:

I went to Target to get that Maroon 5 album day of sale. They wanted. $17.00 for the CD. NOPE. if it was the vinyl I would have snatched it up...but a CD on sale for $17.00..no maam. Try me at $9.99

This is the same battle that went on all the time, the labels and execs want to SAVE the cd or whatever, but they charge stores almost 13-14 dollars a CD to sell that for 9$ is suicide for stores and why Best Buy and all these stores DO NOT do it anymore, the new Taylor Swift cd since its release has never been under $15, so the Labels are Full of it that they want to save the CD, they want to save their jobs that is all. But its useless because like i said Music Retailers are gone, Mom and Pops cant survive much longer, here in NYC i have seen almost every little store go under because of it. So if Amazon is the one retailer left whats the point

i can see them wanting to save their jobs. The CD will always be around but can only go on so long as it only counted for 10 million in all music sales in the USA. Long live vinyl though.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/04/18 3:48pm

lastdecember

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

lastdecember said:

This is the same battle that went on all the time, the labels and execs want to SAVE the cd or whatever, but they charge stores almost 13-14 dollars a CD to sell that for 9$ is suicide for stores and why Best Buy and all these stores DO NOT do it anymore, the new Taylor Swift cd since its release has never been under $15, so the Labels are Full of it that they want to save the CD, they want to save their jobs that is all. But its useless because like i said Music Retailers are gone, Mom and Pops cant survive much longer, here in NYC i have seen almost every little store go under because of it. So if Amazon is the one retailer left whats the point

i can see them wanting to save their jobs. The CD will always be around but can only go on so long as it only counted for 10 million in all music sales in the USA. Long live vinyl though.

Thing is that the older artists are the ones carrying the sales, Downloading sales dropped because the younger crowd went over to streaming which jumped. But once artists older ones stop putting out new work and dieing off there will be nothing left.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/06/18 7:54pm

206Michelle

SoulAlive said:

I still buy CDs smile I like to have the liner notes,photos,etc.I need a physical copy of the music.

Me too!

Live 4 Love ~ Love is God, God is love, Girls and boys love God above
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/06/18 9:07pm

Slave2daGroove

I'm with you, Paisley, we all know how much it cost to make a cd. Throw in packaging costs and they are still making a profit at ten bucks. They want $20, they can go fudge themselves...then wonder why people pirate music...

I'll pick up something that is only available on cd, then I try to find it used.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/07/18 1:03am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

The only reason I buy CDs is because I have no room for LPs...

Has the hunter now become the prey?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Not dead yet: Record executives fight for compact disc's future