independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 23rd Oct 2017 10:46pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Alexander O'Neal - Prince Fired Me in a Spineless and Cowardly Way
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/27/17 5:57pm

Lovejunky

avatar

Alexander O'Neal - Prince Fired Me in a Spineless and Cowardly Way

Interesting account of How Morris Day stole O,Neals Thunder...smile

https://www.youtube.com/w...Q8s-5-wVdk

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/27/17 6:46pm

Adorecream

avatar

Interesting he said this, I thought he refused to join the Time as Prince was not offering enough. Thanks for uploading.

Prince - Love4oneanother
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/27/17 7:47pm

Lovejunky

avatar

double post

[Edited 9/27/17 22:24pm]

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/27/17 7:47pm

Lovejunky

avatar

Adorecream said:

Interesting he said this, I thought he refused to join the Time as Prince was not offering enough. Thanks for uploading.

Thats the story I always believed...

still do actually...

In this he mentions questioning the Money/Business side of things and makes it sound Like Prince fired him for even daring to ask.....

I found a lot of bitterness between O Neals words...

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/27/17 10:26pm

woogiebear

PAPER!!!!

cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/28/17 6:18am

funksterr

AO got all of the benifits without none of the bullsht. Why he mad? lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/28/17 6:34am

laurarichardso
n

Lovejunky said:

Interesting account of How Morris Day stole O,Neals Thunder...smile

https://www.youtube.com/w...Q8s-5-wVdk

Sorry on the Time documentary Jimmy Jam explained that Alex wanted a plane, and a car and millions of dollars and that is why he did not get the job.

Alex needs to stop telling lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn90lctWfvU

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/28/17 2:07pm

SoulAlive

funksterr said:

AO got all of the benifits without none of the bullsht. Why he mad? lol

I was thinking the same thing smile What's he mad about? He got to have a successful solo career and major hit singles produced by Jam and Lewis.It all worked out for him.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/28/17 2:09pm

SoulAlive

and honestly.....I don't think he would have been a great frontman for The Time.Morris has that special charisma and attitude......truly one of a kind.Alex wouldn't have been able to pull it off.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/28/17 4:36pm

Adorecream

avatar

laurarichardson said:

Lovejunky said:

Interesting account of How Morris Day stole O,Neals Thunder...smile

https://www.youtube.com/w...Q8s-5-wVdk

Sorry on the Time documentary Jimmy Jam explained that Alex wanted a plane, and a car and millions of dollars and that is why he did not get the job.

Alex needs to stop telling lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn90lctWfvU

And thats the thing, at the time, Prince barely had those things. Dirty Mind was tanking, there was critical acclaim, but the thing was not selling, 3 albums and all there had been was one Top 20 hit, which was more a danceable novelty rather than anything enduring.

.

Alexander was being unreasonable and Prince was covering his own ass, his contract with Warners was up for renewal and it looked like this may not happen. I agree though he was already developing his Napoleon complex though.

Prince - Love4oneanother
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/28/17 10:40pm

CharismaDove

Adorecream said:

laurarichardson said:

Sorry on the Time documentary Jimmy Jam explained that Alex wanted a plane, and a car and millions of dollars and that is why he did not get the job.

Alex needs to stop telling lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn90lctWfvU

And thats the thing, at the time, Prince barely had those things. Dirty Mind was tanking, there was critical acclaim, but the thing was not selling, 3 albums and all there had been was one Top 20 hit, which was more a danceable novelty rather than anything enduring.

.

Alexander was being unreasonable and Prince was covering his own ass, his contract with Warners was up for renewal and it looked like this may not happen. I agree though he was already developing his Napoleon complex though.

It's always hilarious to me when any of his associates bitch and moan about him being 'mean' 'aloof' firing them etc ... I've never seen a musician's associates feel so damn entitled. He was his own man at the end of the day that rose from a broken home with nothing to multi-millions and he played more damn instruments than any other act on the scene. He did a lot for people and didn't owe anyone shit -- to hell with this belief that everyone has to be 'nice' and be friends with their employees and work with them forever. He was a smart ass man for keeping himself and his goals at the forefront of his mind

I guess you know me well, I dont like winter, but I seem to get a kick outta doing you cold
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/28/17 10:52pm

Adorecream

avatar

Exactly I get tired of all these angry ex band members and associates who have a bone to pick with Prince. After all, they were just playing the music he created and usually in a way directed by him. Yes there may be a solo or a dance step/flourish here and there, but they are doing no more than bringing the Prince one man band to the stage.

.

Okay maybe people like Morris, Lisa and Wendy contributed more, but the rest merely played his music and from what I have read, he was a good employer, people staying on the payroll long after they had left groups (Bobby Z, Dez) and yes he was hard, but he had to be. Prince wanted people who could play well and meet his high standards. He also at least before the 2000s expected total professionalism, no distractions like drinking, groupies and drugs and good habits. Strange for most drugged out rock and rollers but normal for Prince.

.

Alex pissed off too as his career never went beyond a few R and B hits in the mid 80s, few people outside of the music cognoscenti and African Americans have heard. The only song of his I have heard is Fake and I don't even think it is very good.

Prince - Love4oneanother
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/28/17 11:11pm

CharismaDove

Adorecream said:

Exactly I get tired of all these angry ex band members and associates who have a bone to pick with Prince. After all, they were just playing the music he created and usually in a way directed by him. Yes there may be a solo or a dance step/flourish here and there, but they are doing no more than bringing the Prince one man band to the stage.

.

Okay maybe people like Morris, Lisa and Wendy contributed more, but the rest merely played his music and from what I have read, he was a good employer, people staying on the payroll long after they had left groups (Bobby Z, Dez) and yes he was hard, but he had to be. Prince wanted people who could play well and meet his high standards. He also at least before the 2000s expected total professionalism, no distractions like drinking, groupies and drugs and good habits. Strange for most drugged out rock and rollers but normal for Prince.

.

Alex pissed off too as his career never went beyond a few R and B hits in the mid 80s, few people outside of the music cognoscenti and African Americans have heard. The only song of his I have heard is Fake and I don't even think it is very good.

Lol exactly, they moan about it for decades as if he kept a hold on them for more than just a few apparently terrible years. I think a lot of saltiness has to do with the fact that he thought he was unstoppable around 1999/PR.. he probably promised a lot of people they were gonna be 'big stars' when he was doing his little side projects and concept bands. When they wouldn't get what they were promised at the end, they'd hold P accountable when in reality a lot of them were amazing musicians/contributors but VERY few had star power or appeal. Explains why they had years to become famous after leaving P but most didnt.

In general I think the 80s associates as a whole tend to be angrier/more critical. It really seems to me like they expected a lot from Prince whereas by the 90s/00s he was such an established force that people were more humble and just played by his rules -- and enjoyed their time without controversy. Many of the ones that did like Levi, Michael or Tony cooled down after his death

Alex probably saw himself as the true leader of the Time, It's a sad state to be almost 60 and complaining about this shit from a dead guy that happened in the early 80s move on and make a name for yourself sheesh.

I guess you know me well, I dont like winter, but I seem to get a kick outta doing you cold
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/30/17 1:37am

robertgeorge

Alexander O'Neal could have sung some hits but he would have completely changed the dynamic of the time. It would have changed them, the film purple rain and even jay and silent bob strike back.

O'Neal lost the gig when he "threw down on that steak" and "asked for the moon" and we thank him for that.

[Edited 9/30/17 14:27pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/30/17 3:44am

Serious

avatar

Adorecream said:

Exactly I get tired of all these angry ex band members and associates who have a bone to pick with Prince. After all, they were just playing the music he created and usually in a way directed by him. Yes there may be a solo or a dance step/flourish here and there, but they are doing no more than bringing the Prince one man band to the stage.

.

Okay maybe people like Morris, Lisa and Wendy contributed more, but the rest merely played his music and from what I have read, he was a good employer, people staying on the payroll long after they had left groups (Bobby Z, Dez) and yes he was hard, but he had to be. Prince wanted people who could play well and meet his high standards. He also at least before the 2000s expected total professionalism, no distractions like drinking, groupies and drugs and good habits. Strange for most drugged out rock and rollers but normal for Prince.

.

Alex pissed off too as his career never went beyond a few R and B hits in the mid 80s, few people outside of the music cognoscenti and African Americans have heard. The only song of his I have heard is Fake and I don't even think it is very good.

Some of Prince's band members did get involved with groupies all the time

With a very special thank you to Tina: Is hammer already absolute, how much some people verändern...ICH hope is never so I will be! And if, then I hope that I would then have wen in my environment who joins me in the A....
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/30/17 5:31am

AlexdeParis

avatar

Adorecream said:


The only song of his I have heard is Fake and I don't even think it is very good.


What about Saturday Love?
"Whitney was purely and simply one of a kind." ~ Clive Davis
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/30/17 7:29am

Graycap23

avatar

Get over it.

Correct a wise man and u create a leader. Correct a FOOL and u create an enemy.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/30/17 7:43am

SoulAlive

Adorecream said:

Alex pissed off too as his career never went beyond a few R and B hits in the mid 80s, few people outside of the music cognoscenti and African Americans have heard. The only song of his I have heard is Fake and I don't even think it is very good.

Seriously? You never heard "If You Were Here Tonight" and "Innocent"? Those are great songs.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/30/17 8:32am

getxxxx

avatar

AlexdeParis said:

Adorecream said:

The only song of his I have heard is Fake and I don't even think it is very good.

What about Saturday Love?

thats Cherrelle ft Alex

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/30/17 8:33am

getxxxx

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Adorecream said:

The only song of his I have heard is Fake and I don't even think it is very good.

Seriously? You never heard "If You Were Here Tonight" and "Innocent"? Those are great songs.

that Hearsay project is AMAZING where FAKE is from

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/30/17 2:15pm

AlexdeParis

avatar

getxxxx said:



AlexdeParis said:


Adorecream said:

The only song of his I have heard is Fake and I don't even think it is very good.



What about Saturday Love?

thats Cherrelle ft Alex


Yes it is.
"Whitney was purely and simply one of a kind." ~ Clive Davis
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/01/17 11:49am

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

It's no secret here that I truly like Alexander O'Neal and he was cool in his own right but he just didn't have the special brand of Morris E. Day COOL which most certainly...without a damn doubt...MATTERED in making The Time...The Time!


Let me keep it 100 because I wouldn't be the me that Prince helped teach me to be, if I didn't. wink

Alexander...honey, sit your ass down and have several seats! Hindsight being 20/20 and all, everything worked out EXACTLY the way it was supposed to!

"Style is loving yourself 'til everyone else does too."
You certainly proved that Prince, beyond any doubt.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 10/01/17 7:35pm

woogiebear

Well......if He feels WRONGED by Prince, then it can be said that Jam & Lewis, Monte Moir & Jellybean Johnson did ABSOLUTELY RIGHT by Him!! His firest 3 Albums are AWESOME!!! and He still gets a lotta love overseas!!!

cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 10/02/17 4:15am

Adorecream

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Adorecream said:

Alex pissed off too as his career never went beyond a few R and B hits in the mid 80s, few people outside of the music cognoscenti and African Americans have heard. The only song of his I have heard is Fake and I don't even think it is very good.

Seriously? You never heard "If You Were Here Tonight" and "Innocent"? Those are great songs.

No, I live in New Zealand, obscure R and B is not promoted here. We only hear the big pop smashes.

Prince - Love4oneanother
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/02/17 6:42am

laurarichardso
n

Adorecream said:

SoulAlive said:

Seriously? You never heard "If You Were Here Tonight" and "Innocent"? Those are great songs.

No, I live in New Zealand, obscure R and B is not promoted here. We only hear the big pop smashes.

In the U.S. those songs were not obsurce they were hugh hits and they really started Jam and Lewis on their carreers as producers.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/02/17 1:40pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

robertgeorge said:

Alexander O'Neal could have sung some hits but he would have completely changed the dynamic of the time. It would have changed them, the film purple rain and even jay and silent bob strike back.

O'Neal lost the gig when he "threw down on that steak" and "asked for the moon" and we thank him for that.


falloff

For real, though. We wouldn't have had "Alex & Jerome" because "Morris & Jerome" came from their natural chemistry & comic timing.

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 10/03/17 4:13pm

UnderMySun

SoulAlive said:

and honestly.....I don't think he would have been a great frontman for The Time.Morris has that special charisma and attitude......truly one of a kind.Alex wouldn't have been able to pull it off.

Alex getting fired was a blessing in disguise for him but it doesn't sounds like he sees it that way. He got to call the shots on his solo career without Prince looking over his shoulder and the material off his first 3 albums put him in the big leagues for awhile. If Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis could get over getting fired by Prince 30+ years ago, why can't Alex?

[Edited 10/3/17 16:14pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 10/03/17 10:08pm

paisleypark4

avatar

Image result for you mad

He should be thanking P. He was just as mad at Prince for the rest of them basically leaving him out of the picture..he got something even better out of it.

What I also dont like from Alex is how he keep using his light complexion as means to call racism. Alex give that shit up.

Last, besides his foolishness...somebody up in here needs to pick up Alex's Greatest Hits. How dare thee be on a Prince site talking about some "Fake is the only song I ever heard and I didn't like it" do you know that song was a #1 R&B Hit? Better do some research on your Minneapolis Sound hits.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 10/04/17 12:21pm

RJOrion

woogiebear said:

Well.....if He feels WRONGED by Prince, then it can be said that Jam & Lewis, Monte Moir & Jellybean Johnson did ABSOLUTELY RIGHT by Him!! His firest 3 Albums are AWESOME!!! and He still gets a lotta love overseas!!!


cool




hell yeah..people acting like Alexander ONeal didnt make at least 4 great albums:

Alexander O'Neal
Heresay
All True Man
Love Makes No Sense
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 10/04/17 12:56pm

RJOrion

some of JimmyJam & TerryLewis' all time greatest tracks (especially funk and ballads; Janet got the great pop/r&b tracks) were the joints they made for Alex's first 3 lps:


Innocent
Whats Missing
You Were Meant To Be My Lady****
If You Were Here Tonight
What Can I Say To Make You Love Me****
Lovers****
Fake
Criticize
Never Knew Love Like This
Sunshine****
When The Partys Over
Time Is Running Out****
Somebody Changed Your Mind****
Every Time I Get Up*****
All True Man
Sentimental****
etc.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Alexander O'Neal - Prince Fired Me in a Spineless and Cowardly Way