independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 17th Aug 2018 1:10am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Cardi B: 1st Female Rapper To Hit No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100 Without Feature Since Lauryn Hill
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 10/10/17 2:34pm

MickyDolenz

stpaisios said:

it's hard seeking for that after Prince, i know...

Well go discuss Prince then. You don't see posting in his section because I don't want to talk about him. See how easy that is. lol

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 10/10/17 2:59pm

stpaisios

MickyDolenz said:

stpaisios said:

This Cardi B thing isn/t really some bright and encouraging example of current music and atmosphere, maybe in some specific communites, but its not a thing someone from europe like me would take serious and push it further for discussing it at any level... u know.

Why are you here then? Why don't you make a thread of something you like to discuss? I've always noticed that the people here that come into threads to say "today's music sucks" never make their own threads.

I never aid 'today's music sucks', a great stuff are out there. Got my new Tori Amos record, listened some Jessy Lanza, Olga Bell, Oh Land, Shinna Ringo, Kiesza etc.... so i don't see today's music going anywhere from my stereo.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 10/10/17 3:50pm

MickyDolenz

Here's the Top 20 singles for this week (October 21, 2017):

1 Cardi B - Bodak Yellow (Money Moves) (3 weeks #1)
2 Post Malone feat. 21 Savage - Rockstar (3 weeks #2)
3 J Balvin & Willy William feat. Beyoncé - Mi Gente
4 Logic fet. Alessia Cara & Khalid - 1-800-273-8255
5 Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
6 Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
7 Imagine Dragons - Thunder
8 Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry
9 Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber - Despacito
10 French Montana feat. Swae Lee - Unforgettable
11 Imagine Dragons - Believer
12 Yo Gotti feat. Nicki Minaj - Rake It Up
13 Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes
14 Liam Payne feat. Quavo - Strip That Down
15 Charlie Puth - Attention
16 21 Savage - Bank Account
17 Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
18 Niall Horan - Slow Hands
19 Maroon 5 feat. SZA - What Lovers Do
20 Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 10/10/17 4:03pm

paisleypark4

avatar

stpaisios said:

This Cardi B thing isn/t really some bright and encouraging example of current music and atmosphere, maybe in some specific communites, but its not a thing someone from europe like me would take serious and push it further for discussing it at any level... u know.

paisleypark4 said:

I dislike discussing current music, movies shows with people who haven't listened to anything since 2005..it's like...we have nothing to talk about that's up to date...hence you're boring.

Rap music, mostly these days ..is just fantasy music. The joke is over we know its not real...its entertainment. unsure if she will be able to top this for any future releases...however the clap back on a female rapper at the top is SO HARD. These kids are enjoying it as much as I did as a kid singing "I Wanna Sex You Up" at the top of my lungs. The song relatively is about female empowerment.

It's hood and ghetto...like where RAP MUSIC came from. The streets, the Bronx, it's gritty dirty and unapologetic.


If that is something you dont understand and does not pertain to you all, you need not to listen because...

Image result for cookie gif empire

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 10/10/17 4:33pm

stpaisios

Whatever that hood & ghetto looks in 21 century, according to song - it's def delusional and far from any empowerment. Those gals must read a bit more and work harder if they wanna become a Renaissance Girls, like that song said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFCYo3XocIM

paisleypark4 said:

stpaisios said:

This Cardi B thing isn/t really some bright and encouraging example of current music and atmosphere, maybe in some specific communites, but its not a thing someone from europe like me would take serious and push it further for discussing it at any level... u know.

Rap music, mostly these days ..is just fantasy music. The joke is over we know its not real...its entertainment. unsure if she will be able to top this for any future releases...however the clap back on a female rapper at the top is SO HARD. These kids are enjoying it as much as I did as a kid singing "I Wanna Sex You Up" at the top of my lungs. The song relatively is about female empowerment.

It's hood and ghetto...like where RAP MUSIC came from. The streets, the Bronx, it's gritty dirty and unapologetic.


If that is something you dont understand and does not pertain to you all, you need not to listen because...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 10/10/17 6:23pm

paisleypark4

avatar

stpaisios said:

Whatever that hood & ghetto looks in 21 century, according to song - it's def delusional and far from any empowerment. Those gals must read a bit more and work harder if they wanna become a Renaissance Girls, like that song said:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFCYo3XocIM




paisleypark4 said:





stpaisios said:


This Cardi B thing isn/t really some bright and encouraging example of current music and atmosphere, maybe in some specific communites, but its not a thing someone from europe like me would take serious and push it further for discussing it at any level... u know.





Rap music, mostly these days ..is just fantasy music. The joke is over we know its not real...its entertainment. unsure if she will be able to top this for any future releases...however the clap back on a female rapper at the top is SO HARD. These kids are enjoying it as much as I did as a kid singing "I Wanna Sex You Up" at the top of my lungs. The song relatively is about female empowerment.

It's hood and ghetto...like where RAP MUSIC came from. The streets, the Bronx, it's gritty dirty and unapologetic.


If that is something you dont understand and does not pertain to you all, you need not to listen because...




I think that song is cute and has nice choreography... But Cardi B is a rapper and giving the Bronx exprerience. If you were to ever live it or have been there you would understand. Cardi B isn't claiming to be classy or looking for that. She's unapologetically hood. It's part of our American freedom to express who we are and how we are...without conforming to the status quo. That's how rap was made and created.. And remained so popular.
Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 10/12/17 12:03am

phunkdaddy

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

stpaisios said:

it's hard seeking for that after Prince, i know...

Well go discuss Prince then. You don't see posting in his section because I don't want to talk about him. See how easy that is. lol

Memes, 🤖, and Dev: JUST CHECKING TO SEE  WHAT YALL ARE POSTING  AND IF I NEED TO DISABLE  ANYONE'S ACCOUNT. Just checking in (FB: Dev Petty)

Bone made me stand up and get into the groove
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 10/24/17 2:10pm

MickyDolenz

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 10/24/17 2:19pm

StrangeButTrue

avatar

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 10/25/17 8:15am

paisleypark4

avatar

StrangeButTrue said:

falloff

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 10/25/17 12:35pm

babynoz

Another marginally talented bottom-feeding skank looking for a hood pass to use as a come-up? Imagine my shock? lol

The brain rot is strong with this one....expect a sex tape soon if she hasn't done one already. Smfh.

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 10/25/17 12:49pm

MickyDolenz

babynoz said:

expect a sex tape soon if she hasn't done one already.

Cardi used to be a stripper, it's not a big secret. She was on the TV show Love And Hip Hop before she got signed to Atlantic Records. On the video with the teens above, they say they first knew Cardi because of her Vine videos.

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 10/25/17 12:50pm

babynoz

Dakarai said:

Like i've told everyone else, let's just wait and see what kind of success her album has. Cardi is getting a lot of fake love out here. People aren't even financially supporting her, it's mostly streams (like most of hip-hop today, it isn't worth purchasing).



Exactly. Her popularity is manufactured and marketed to chumps who are afraid people will think they ain't one of the "cool kids".

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 10/25/17 12:58pm

babynoz

MickyDolenz said:

babynoz said:

expect a sex tape soon if she hasn't done one already.

Cardi used to be a stripper, it's not a big secret. She was on the TV show Love And Hip Hop before she got signed to Atlantic Records. On the video with the teens above, they say they first knew Cardi because of her Vine videos.



No shit Sherlock? I think that's pretty common knowlege.

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 10/25/17 1:04pm

khill95

Issa bop cool cool music doesnt have to be serious ALLL the time

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 10/25/17 1:05pm

MickyDolenz

babynoz said:

I think that's pretty common knowlege.

Well, a few people in this thread said they never heard of her.

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 10/25/17 1:13pm

MickyDolenz

khill95 said:

Issa bop cool cool music doesnt have to be serious ALLL the time

https://78.media.tumblr.com/5a85dbe2c3b07c2c2aee44cd0b55a2f0/tumblr_oxx78hDoK91w36i71o1_540.gif

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 10/25/17 5:33pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

khill95 said:

Issa bop cool cool music doesnt have to be serious ALLL the time



True but it sure as hell don't have to be ignorant all the
damn time which this is.
Bone made me stand up and get into the groove
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 10/25/17 6:22pm

MickyDolenz

phunkdaddy said:

True but it sure as hell don't have to be ignorant all the damn time which this is.

How is 1 song "all the time"?

https://78.media.tumblr.com/3d5b7128137650e1e7f247118f3b2ef9/tumblr_oa5rikxc7G1vp26y0o3_r3_250.gif

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 10/25/17 6:37pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

phunkdaddy said:

True but it sure as hell don't have to be ignorant all the damn time which this is.

How is 1 song "all the time"?

tumblr_oa5rikxc7G1vp26y0o3_r3_250.gif

I'm not saying just her in particular. I'm talking about the state of current hip hop period.

[Edited 10/25/17 18:38pm]

Bone made me stand up and get into the groove
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 10/25/17 7:07pm

MickyDolenz

phunkdaddy said:

I'm not saying just her in particular. I'm talking about the state of current hip hop period.

I'm sure you're not the audience that made this sound popular, so it's not for you. Like I would guess emo & goth music is not your thing either. razz It's not like this style is new. You can go back years ago to the Soulja Boy/Lil Wayne era and before that when people made raps about syrup and grills. Even Madonna wore a grill for a little while. Lil Wayne passed up Elvis Presley in having the most Hot 100 entries. This is a recent interview with D.O.C. He comments about Cardi and current popular hip hop around 20 minutes on the 2nd video.



For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #111 posted 10/25/17 7:47pm

babynoz

phunkdaddy said:

khill95 said:

Issa bop cool cool music doesnt have to be serious ALLL the time

True but it sure as hell don't have to be ignorant all the damn time which this is.




That is the difference bro. The level of fuckery has risen considerably.

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #112 posted 10/26/17 11:27am

Dakarai

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

phunkdaddy said:

True but it sure as hell don't have to be ignorant all the damn time which this is.

How is 1 song "all the time"?

https://78.media.tumblr.com/3d5b7128137650e1e7f247118f3b2ef9/tumblr_oa5rikxc7G1vp26y0o3_r3_250.gif

There isn't and hasn't been a lot of balance in terms of the mainstream. Hence why artists like Kendrick and J. Cole are praised so much. Even you know this.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #113 posted 10/26/17 12:00pm

MickyDolenz

Dakarai said:

There isn't and hasn't been a lot of balance in terms of the mainstream. Hence why artists like Kendrick and J. Cole are praised so much. Even you

What balance? Conscious rap has never really been a thing on Top 40 pop radio, nor any Afrocentric stuff like X-Clan. So it's not like they stopped playing it all of a sudden and started playing party rap and ringtone rap like Stanky Leg. The most popular rappers on Top 40 tended to be people like Vanilla Ice, Tone Loc, Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, Nelly, Marky Mark, Technotronic, P.M. Dawn, Kris Kross, Beastie Boys, C+C Music Factory, Eminem, etc. Top 40 didn't play Public Enemy & Gang Starr. In the 1990s some gangsta rap was also played on Top 40 like Bone Thugs & Snoop Dogg. OutKast's biggest song is Hey Ya!, not Hootie Hoo. So you're talking about something that never happened on the mainstream Top 40 radio stations.

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #114 posted 10/26/17 12:13pm

MickyDolenz

If the general public wanted to hear social & protest music, then folk singers would sell a lot like a Michael Jackson. What social message does Journey, Michael Bolton, Whitney Houston, or Boston have? They were huge sellers in their day. Maybe most people don't want to hear messages & preaching, they want entertainment and to have fun. Why do people expect popular rap to have some message, when the majority of songs in the entire history of pop radio that became big pop hits didn't.

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #115 posted 10/26/17 12:28pm

Dakarai

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

Dakarai said:

There isn't and hasn't been a lot of balance in terms of the mainstream. Hence why artists like Kendrick and J. Cole are praised so much. Even you

What balance? Conscious rap has never really been a thing on Top 40 pop radio, nor any Afrocentric stuff like X-Clan. So it's not like they stopped playing it all of a sudden and started playing party rap and ringtone rap like Stanky Leg. The most popular rappers on Top 40 tended to be people like Vanilla Ice, Tone Loc, Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, Nelly, Marky Mark, Technotronic, P.M. Dawn, Kris Kross, Beastie Boys, C+C Music Factory, Eminem, etc. Top 40 didn't play Public Enemy & Gang Starr. In the 1990s some gangsta rap was also played on Top 40 like Bone Thugs & Snoop Dogg. OutKast's biggest song is Hey Ya!, not Hootie Hoo. So you're talking about something that never happened on the mainstream Top 40 radio stations.

Who said anything about conscious rap? They just said shit that isn't ignorant. 90s had plenty of popular music that wasn't ignorant, be it conscious or "party", whatever you want to call it. Going back to my favorite year of 1991, rap charts had everything from Tribe, to LL, to Public Enemy, to KMD, to Kid n Play. This was stuff that was on the radio and charting high. Where are you getting this information from?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #116 posted 10/26/17 12:30pm

Dakarai

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

If the general public wanted to hear social & protest music, then folk singers would sell a lot like a Michael Jackson. What social message does Journey, Michael Bolton, Whitney Houston, or Boston have? They were huge sellers in their day. Maybe most people don't want to hear messages & preaching, they want entertainment and to have fun. Why do people expect popular rap to have some message, when the majority of songs in the entire history of pop radio that became big pop hits didn't.

Again, key word is ignorant. Or are you going to say your average dance or club song today is comparable to Rollin With Kid n Play? Come on now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #117 posted 10/26/17 12:57pm

MickyDolenz

Dakarai said:

Again, key word is ignorant.

It's ignorant to you, not to me. Because I like the song. If many people like it, what's it to you? You can listen to and buy whatever you like. This song being popular is not stopping that. It's not your job to police what other people enjoy. It's not like Johnny Rebel or somebody is having big pop hits.

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #118 posted 10/26/17 1:05pm

MickyDolenz

Dakarai said:

Who said anything about conscious rap? They just said shit that isn't ignorant. 90s had plenty of popular music that wasn't ignorant, be it conscious or "party", whatever you want to call it. Going back to my favorite year of 1991, rap charts had everything from Tribe, to LL, to Public Enemy, to KMD, to Kid n Play. This was stuff that was on the radio and charting high. Where are you getting this information from?

The Hot 100 is the pop chart, not the rap chart. They're 2 different charts. Hot 100 is the mainstream chart and the hip hop chart is a sub chart. I said nothing about the rap chart and the article is not about the rap chart. I listened to pop radio, so I know what they played and I also used to read Billboard every week.

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #119 posted 10/26/17 1:11pm

Dakarai

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

Dakarai said:

Again, key word is ignorant.

It's ignorant to you, not to me. Because I like the song. If many people like it, what's it to you? You can listen to and buy whatever you like. This song being popular is not stopping that. It's not your job to police what other people enjoy. It's not like Johnny Rebel or somebody is having big pop hits.

You can listen to the song until your ears fall off. That doesn't mean the content of the song and others like it today isn't ignorant.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Cardi B: 1st Female Rapper To Hit No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100 Without Feature Since Lauryn Hill