independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 29th Apr 2017 12:24pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > What was the "coolest" music show ever on the air?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/07/17 2:32pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

What was the "coolest" music show ever on the air?

My first choice is Soul Train. Second choice--The Midnight Special. What are your choices?

I'm not a woman,
I'm not a man,
I am something that you’ll never understand...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/07/17 2:49pm

melissadance4e
ver

purplethunder3121 said:

My first choice is Soul Train. Second choice--The Midnight Special. What are your choices?



I admit I'm jealous because you got to see Soul Train.... Wish I would have seen that show.

Or maybe they can come out with a current version of the show! 😀
[Edited 3/7/17 14:51pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/07/17 2:51pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

melissadance4ever said:

purplethunder3121 said:

My first choice is Soul Train. Second choice--The Midnight Special. What are your choices?

I admit I'm jealous because you got to see Soul Train.... Wish I would have seen that show. [Edited 3/7/17 14:50pm]

There's clips on Youtube. Plus, reruns used to be on TV. And there's a DVD set you can buy. smile

I'm not a woman,
I'm not a man,
I am something that you’ll never understand...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/07/17 2:58pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Oh, damn! Wrong forum! err lol Mods, please re-direct. razz

[Edited 3/7/17 15:08pm]

I'm not a woman,
I'm not a man,
I am something that you’ll never understand...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/07/17 3:26pm

sexton

avatar

I used to watch Soul Train and American Bandstand every Saturday. It was exciting whenever a Minneapolis-related act performed like André Cymone or Ta Mara and The Seen.

As for music video shows, I used to live for 120 Minutes in college.

But from what I have heard, the U.K. had the best music shows.


[Edited 3/8/17 19:02pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/07/17 7:56pm

RJOrion

Soul Train in the 80's, when Louie "Ski" Carr and Rosie Perez were featured dancers... nothing else comes close

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/07/17 8:21pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

SOUL! (host: Ellis Haizlip)

Because where else can you see Teddy Pendergrass with a Prince Valiant hairdo? razz

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor / We can't be Phil Collins & The Genesis! You don't even play drums! ~ Ricky Bell to Ralph Tresvant
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/08/17 9:39am

sexton

avatar

What cool music shows are on the air now?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/08/17 9:43am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

sexton said:

What cool music shows are on the air now?

The Voice and the X Factor lol
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/08/17 9:44am

sexton

avatar

MotownSubdivision said:


The Voice and the X Factor lol


sad

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/08/17 11:21am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

sexton said:

MotownSubdivision said:


The Voice and the X Factor lol


sad

Music shows seem to be a thing of the past. I don't think a Soul Train, Midnight Special, Solid Gold, Top of the Pops or an American Bandstand would fit in with today's vapid reality-show culture.

I do understand but at the same time can't understand why people watch these hollow music audition shows. Going off of what I remember of American Idol, they don't make new stars, the most talented people don't even win and on top of that, the winners go on to do nothing. Almost all of the 1st place contestants of AI seem to drop off the face of the earth after winning which should make one question what's the point? Oh yeah, ratings...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/08/17 12:39pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

sexton said:

What cool music shows are on the air now?

I like Live From Daryl's House. There's also the long running PBS show, Austin City Limits.

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor / We can't be Phil Collins & The Genesis! You don't even play drums! ~ Ricky Bell to Ralph Tresvant
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/08/17 1:08pm

peedub

avatar

friday night videos, 120 minutes, austin city limits, soundbreaking, live from the artist's den, behind the music, live at 9:30...

i'd have to go with 'austin city limits' as the best.

[Edited 3/8/17 13:11pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/08/17 1:32pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

MotownSubdivision said:

Music shows seem to be a thing of the past. I don't think a Soul Train, Midnight Special, Solid Gold, Top of the Pops or an American Bandstand would fit in with today's vapid reality-show culture.

Well, nowadays a person can go on Youtube and watch whoever they want, whenever they want. That didn't exist back then, so if you wanted to watch a music act, you had to wait for a show that only came on once a week and lasted 30 minutes to an hour. Really, it was less time than that without the commercials. Some shows came on late at night too, so if a kid had an early bedtime, they couldn't watch it.

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor / We can't be Phil Collins & The Genesis! You don't even play drums! ~ Ricky Bell to Ralph Tresvant
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/08/17 1:33pm

paligap

avatar

...

I also miss NBC's Sunday Night/ Night Music/After New Years from the late 80's and early to mid 90's--Hosted by David Sanborn , they had all kinds of musical guests, both solo and with combinations--D'angelo and Eric Clapton, Bootsy and Carla Bley, Miles Davis, James Taylor and Milton Nascimento, Todd Rundgren, Sting, Earl Klugh with Joe Sample & Donald Fagen with Patti Austin, etc....Marcus Miller usually lead the house band....probably for the grown -up set, but it never really found an audience--and they kept putting it on later and later at night..at one point I think it was on at 2:00am--sad......

...

...

...

[Edited 3/8/17 13:50pm]

" I've got six things on my mind --you're no longer one of them." - Paddy McAloon, Prefab Sprout
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/08/17 1:40pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

sexton said:

What cool music shows are on the air now?

I like Live From Daryl's House. There's also the long running PBS show, Austin City Limits.

I lamost forgot about those! Two very good music shows.

I'm not a woman,
I'm not a man,
I am something that you’ll never understand...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/08/17 1:42pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

MotownSubdivision said:

Music shows seem to be a thing of the past. I don't think a Soul Train, Midnight Special, Solid Gold, Top of the Pops or an American Bandstand would fit in with today's vapid reality-show culture.

Well, nowadays a person can go on Youtube and watch whoever they want, whenever they want. That didn't exist back then, so if you wanted to watch a music act, you had to wait for a show that only came on once a week and lasted 30 minutes to an hour. Really, it was less time than that without the commercials. Some shows came on late at night too, so if a kid had an early bedtime, they couldn't watch it.

Yeah, but there was a kind of excitement about watching live shows (wasn't it live?) like The Midnight Special way back when... At least I thought it was live when I was a kid watching Tina Turner dance her ass off on Saturday night!

I'm not a woman,
I'm not a man,
I am something that you’ll never understand...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/08/17 2:17pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

Yeah, but there was a kind of excitement about watching live shows (wasn't it live?) like The Midnight Special way back when... At least I thought it was live when I was a kid watching Tina Turner dance her ass off on Saturday night!

That's what I mean, because today's audience can watch an act anytime, they're not going to really care about a music program like American Bandstand. Look at the main MTV channel, they show music videos very little today. They had to put other kinds of programs on to get people to watch their channel. The shows don't really have anything to do with music at all.

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor / We can't be Phil Collins & The Genesis! You don't even play drums! ~ Ricky Bell to Ralph Tresvant
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/08/17 4:57pm

woogiebear

Soul Train & American Bandstand

cool cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/08/17 6:01pm

namepeace

RJOrion said:

Soul Train in the 80's, when Louie "Ski" Carr and Rosie Perez were featured dancers... nothing else comes close


Soul Train set the standard in the 70's. Midnight Special with the inimitable Wolfman Jack was a huge show as well, and pretty doggone diverse. Prince himself appeared.

Other than that, I'd say, Yo! MTV Raps was the coolest and most impactful. It brought the Golden Age(s) of Hip-Hop to the masses.

[Edited 3/8/17 18:03pm]

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/08/17 7:56pm

mjscarousal

avatar

Stand, you`ve been sitting much too long, there`s a permanent crease in your right or wrong.~Sly Stone
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/08/17 8:29pm

LittleBLUECorv
ette

avatar

All y'all tripping.

106 & Park!

PRINCE: Always and Forever
MICHAEL JACKSON: Always and Forever
-----
Live Your Life How U Wanna Live It
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/08/17 9:13pm

CynicKill

LittleBLUECorvette said:

All y'all tripping.

106 & Park!

>

Pre Bow Wow.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/08/17 11:13pm

MoBettaBliss

later with jools holland has had some great moments

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/08/17 11:14pm

Hudson

avatar

Lyp Sync Battle is the best music show on tv today. Say What? Karoke is the best to ever air.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/09/17 8:13am

sexton

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

purplethunder3121 said:

Yeah, but there was a kind of excitement about watching live shows (wasn't it live?) like The Midnight Special way back when... At least I thought it was live when I was a kid watching Tina Turner dance her ass off on Saturday night!

That's what I mean, because today's audience can watch an act anytime, they're not going to really care about a music program like American Bandstand. Look at the main MTV channel, they show music videos very little today. They had to put other kinds of programs on to get people to watch their channel. The shows don't really have anything to do with music at all.


The MTV Live channel is non-stop music shows like Live From Daryl's House, Later with Jools Holland, previously televised concerts, etc.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/10/17 5:35pm

mjscarousal

avatar

LittleBLUECorvette said:

All y'all tripping.

106 & Park!

nod It was good when Free and AJ hosted the show.

Stand, you`ve been sitting much too long, there`s a permanent crease in your right or wrong.~Sly Stone
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/10/17 6:55pm

motown1958

Video Soul with Donnie Simpson (BET); Soul Train; The Midnight Special

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/10/17 7:09pm

CynicKill

The 2 million in a week days...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/12/17 2:46pm

mrwiggles

Don Kirshner's Rock Concert without a doubt.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > What was the "coolest" music show ever on the air?