independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 17th Jan 2017 11:09am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Rufus and/or Chaka Khan
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/10/17 12:43pm

marksinclair

avatar

Rufus and/or Chaka Khan

.

Been hearing some great Rufus/Chaka tracks recently and thought I'd ask everyone on the org for some recommendations as to what I should seek out next.

.

Love these:

.

Ain't Nobody

Sweet Thing

Dance Wit Me

You Got The Love

I Feel For You

.

What else should I check out, is there more material of that standard? biggrin

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/10/17 12:51pm

namepeace

Their classic album, Ask Rufus (1977).

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/10/17 1:00pm

kepurplehunter

Oooooohhhhh All of their albums yess
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/10/17 1:16pm

marksinclair

avatar

namepeace said:

Their classic album, Ask Rufus (1977).

.

thanks i'll start with this yes

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/10/17 2:28pm

SoulAlive

I love all of their 70s albums,but I think this one is my favorite.....released in late 1975,it contains the big hit "Sweet Thing".This is a good place to start.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/10/17 4:22pm

HardcoreJollie
s

avatar

SoulAlive said:

I love all of their 70s albums,but I think this one is my favorite.....released in late 1975,it contains the big hit "Sweet Thing".This is a good place to start.

My fave too by my fave female singer of all time. Not singled out yet, Rufusized is also pretty great.

If you've got funk, you've got style.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/10/17 4:41pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

The 70s were magic. When black music could use rock as well and nobody was pissed. They just grooved along. Now you are either Akon or some dumb rock like Five Finger Death Punch. zzz

wildsign Wave your wildsigns high!! wildsign
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/11/17 2:23am

SoulAlive

There is a 6-CD box set containing six of their classic albums.It's not very expensive,either.

UK six CD box containing a sextet of albums from the R&B/Soul greats packaged in mini LP sleeves and housed in an outer case. Includes the albums Rufus, Rags To Rufus, Rufusized, Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan, Ask Rufus and Street Player. These albums represent the work of one of the greatest soul funk bands of the '70s.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/11/17 6:08am

MD431Madcat

avatar

Rufus mid 70's = UNSTOPPABLE!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/11/17 8:22am

getxxxx

avatar

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/11/17 2:44pm

kitbradley

avatar

"Ask Rufus" is their masterpiece. Its hard to go wrong with any of their albums between 1973 and 1977. Things headed south with "Street Player" in 1978. Chaka was concentrating on her solo career and stopped showing up for the Rufus sessions. Thats why Tony Maiden was lead vocal on a lot of the songs on later albums.
"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/11/17 2:46pm

kitbradley

avatar

As far as CK solo, start with "Woman I Am" and "What Gonna Do for Me".
"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/11/17 3:13pm

Germanegro

Ooh--I want that. Classic in a box!

SoulAlive said:

There is a 6-CD box set containing six of their classic albums.It's not very expensive,either.

UK six CD box containing a sextet of albums from the R&B/Soul greats packaged in mini LP sleeves and housed in an outer case. Includes the albums Rufus, Rags To Rufus, Rufusized, Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan, Ask Rufus and Street Player. These albums represent the work of one of the greatest soul funk bands of the '70s.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/11/17 3:51pm

SoulAlive

kitbradley said:

"Ask Rufus" is their masterpiece. Its hard to go wrong with any of their albums between 1973 and 1977. Things headed south with "Street Player" in 1978. Chaka was concentrating on her solo career and stopped showing up for the Rufus sessions. Thats why Tony Maiden was lead vocal on a lot of the songs on later albums.


How do you feel about their 1979 album 'Masterjam'? Produced by Quincy Jones,it contains the massive jam "Do You Love What You Feel".I think it's a good album but on some songs,it seems as if Chaka's voice is buried in the mix.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/11/17 5:14pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

Q.. Rod + the A team in 78-79?!?!

That

shit

is

The

Bomb!!!


SoulAlive said:

kitbradley said:
"Ask Rufus" is their masterpiece. Its hard to go wrong with any of their albums between 1973 and 1977. Things headed south with "Street Player" in 1978. Chaka was concentrating on her solo career and stopped showing up for the Rufus sessions. Thats why Tony Maiden was lead vocal on a lot of the songs on later albums.
How do you feel about their 1979 album 'Masterjam'? Produced by Quincy Jones,it contains the massive jam "Do You Love What You Feel".I think it's a good album but on some songs,it seems as if Chaka's voice is buried in the mix.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/11/17 5:20pm

kitbradley

avatar

SoulAlive said:

kitbradley said:

"Ask Rufus" is their masterpiece. Its hard to go wrong with any of their albums between 1973 and 1977. Things headed south with "Street Player" in 1978. Chaka was concentrating on her solo career and stopped showing up for the Rufus sessions. Thats why Tony Maiden was lead vocal on a lot of the songs on later albums.


How do you feel about their 1979 album 'Masterjam'? Produced by Quincy Jones,it contains the massive jam "Do You Love What You Feel".I think it's a good album but on some songs,it seems as if Chaka's voice is buried in the mix.


"Masterjam" is a fine album. "What Am I Missing" is one of the best Rufus songs ever! But, again, it would have been a classic album if Chaka participated more. Too many songs found her missing in action. Quincy claims at one point, he had to wrestle her to the ground and make her promise to show up for more of the recording sessions. lol i know she claims at that point the guys were out-voting her on which songs they would record. That, coupled with her solo career, kept her from fully participating in the group.
"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/11/17 6:34pm

SoulAlive

kitbradley said:

SoulAlive said:



How do you feel about their 1979 album 'Masterjam'? Produced by Quincy Jones,it contains the massive jam "Do You Love What You Feel".I think it's a good album but on some songs,it seems as if Chaka's voice is buried in the mix.


"Masterjam" is a fine album. "What Am I Missing" is one of the best Rufus songs ever! But, again, it would have been a classic album if Chaka participated more. Too many songs found her missing in action. Quincy claims at one point, he had to wrestle her to the ground and make her promise to show up for more of the recording sessions. lol i know she claims at that point the guys were out-voting her on which songs they would record. That, coupled with her solo career, kept her from fully participating in the group.


Yeah,at that point,it was clear that Chaka was done with Rufus and wanted to focus on her solo career smile
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/12/17 9:11am

Guitarhero

avatar

Pack'd My Bags

I don't care what anybody says i have the baddest band in the universe.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/12/17 9:48am

getxxxx

avatar

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/12/17 9:51am

getxxxx

avatar

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/12/17 9:52am

getxxxx

avatar

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/12/17 9:54am

getxxxx

avatar

Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/12/17 11:46am

MD431Madcat

avatar

music isn't music anymore.

2freaky4church1 said:

The 70s were magic. When black music could use rock as well and nobody was pissed. They just grooved along. Now you are either Akon or some dumb rock like Five Finger Death Punch. zzz

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/12/17 12:55pm

SoEas42

The Very Best of Rufus featuring Chaka Khan is also a good album. It includes Do You Love What You Feel, You Got the Love, Once You Get Started, Please Pardon Me, Sweet Thing, Hollywood, Stay, Tell Me Something Good and others. My favorite Rufus albums are Rufusized and Ask Rufus.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/12/17 5:09pm

SoulAlive

kitbradley said:

As far as CK solo, start with.... "What Cha' Gonna Do for Me".


:nod: that's my favorite Chaka solo album
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/12/17 7:09pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

I love both nod I have this song in my brain today music

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/14/17 1:36am

SoulAlive

SoEas42 said:

The Very Best of Rufus featuring Chaka Khan is also a good album. It includes Do You Love What You Feel, You Got the Love, Once You Get Started, Please Pardon Me, Sweet Thing, Hollywood, Stay, Tell Me Something Good and others.

I use to have that CD,but now it's missing.Someone must have stole it from me lol it's Ok though because I already have the albums.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/14/17 6:50am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

Never listened to a full Rufus or Chaka album but you really can't go wrong with either.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/14/17 11:24am

206Michelle

avatar

marksinclair said:

.


Been hearing some great Rufus/Chaka tracks recently and thought I'd ask everyone on the org for some recommendations as to what I should seek out next.


.


Love these:


.


Ain't Nobody


Sweet Thing


Dance Wit Me


You Got The Love


I Feel For You


.


What else should I check out, is there more material of that standard? biggrin


Tell Me Somethin' Good...classic
Don't die without knowing the cross.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/14/17 2:30pm

Missmusicluver
72

All of them, you cannot go wrong, great funky, groovy classic R&B stuff! biggrin

Love is God, God is love, girls and boys love God above.
RIP Sweet Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Rufus and/or Chaka Khan