independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 20th Sep 2014 1:02pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > El-P - Cancer For Cure... You should pump this shit, like they do in the future...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/21/12 7:04pm

Cerebus

avatar

El-P - Cancer For Cure... You should pump this shit, like they do in the future...

....because it SLAPS. FUCKIN'. HARD.

got a strain un-contained that could turn parade zombie,

walk with an army on me, stalked by the harm and armor posse,
prolly, got me, on a radar with a dot these,

watching, plotting minions of the lower god scene,
shit hawks abound, in the town of bullet dodging I'm a rocky,

run a hundred a mile before my coffee,
shitty little sick kid, the Gippers hitting for dolo now I'm rarified, signal lit verified bossy,
fuck your droid noise, void boys 'noid ploy,
oi oi, i'll rugby kick the shit out your groin boy
oi ve, the slayers of your harmony porn life,

throat fuck your lucky day the flight of a torn kite
holy smokes, city blown to the bone the death server,

fit a Heartz with a burner, whip to the church of murder sermon,
just a cassandra too drained to painfully word it further
future of a gerbil up ass of masochist thats my word up,

so you should pump this shit like they do in the future

pump this shit,
in your floating whip system
pump this shit,
in the bread line, the prison,
pump this shit,
from the chip under your wrist skin,

I am sam, i am known to go H.A.M., the full retard
playing taps on a keytar, in the Benz or the Beamer,
either, etherlicious or rebel yelling the theme of
son of forgotten freedom, rebel ariba riba
metal and man have melted, settle in to the FEMA, dream a,
your polluted house speaker, leader
yes indeed a, dawn of the dirt and doom draws nearer,
here's a mirror mirror to peer, fear grows clearer,
steer a, path away from the panic of our era,
pyramided ocular, unlided insignia
weirder heres another burner born and big in ya
sector, rectified and fly sound selector,
I'm a, fucking ill, trill, kill at will etc.,
brooklyn to the basic DNA math measurer,
better leave the lion alone do not pet him he'll
fuck start your burp hole, jet in burgundy pleather
woah

so you should pump this shit like they do in the future
so you should pump this shit like they do in the future
so you should pump this shit like they do in the future
so you should pump this shit like they do in the future

where harmony and love reign
no longer do we live in a society bent on it's own destruction
children of every race, creed and religion frollick through fields of golden dandelions

those who know lust trust the flow is disgust touch,

producto back rap rush, you'll notice the lad crush.
im potent, intact, a black hearted and lunged up,
tarded and touched plus designer of funk rust,
oh el is back on that shit, huh? that Paincave Kid talk,

at the end of the painbow, the permanant stain bop,
maligning my name will holy ark up your squads face,

viewers of the divine rage learn to worship the hard way,
you get it? i don't fade, just float where the poem slays,

at home with a roach hazed, alone or with hoes great,
i called but got a tone better boat out the borough post haste

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/21/12 7:05pm

Cerebus

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/21/12 7:07pm

Cerebus

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/21/12 7:07pm

Timmy84

Wow. music

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/21/12 7:07pm

Cerebus

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/21/12 7:08pm

Cerebus

avatar

Edit: That's what I get for not previewing.

[Edited 5/21/12 19:10pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/21/12 7:10pm

Cerebus

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/21/12 7:12pm

Cerebus

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/21/12 7:14pm

Cerebus

avatar

"Sign Here" isn't on YouTube yet, which sucks, because it's a sick paranoid little jam.

You can listen to it here.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/21/12 7:15pm

Cerebus

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/21/12 7:15pm

Cerebus

avatar

Edit: Because the other video was rattling the shit out of my speakers. lol

[Edited 5/21/12 19:16pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/21/12 7:17pm

Cerebus

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/21/12 7:19pm

Cerebus

avatar

Timmy84 said:

Wow. music

Hells yeah.

Album out tomorrow, officially. Cerebus will be purchasing it this weekend for sure.

I've read about 15 interviews with him about it now and he's been playin' it real chill, real humble. I think he knows he completely killed it. lol Probably my favorite thing he's ever done.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/21/12 7:20pm

Cerebus

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/22/12 7:30pm

Cerebus

avatar

by Eric Harvey May 22, 2012 at A.V. Club

Cancer For Cure is a triumph of imagination and intelligence in service of a pervasive sense of personal and political unease. Rapper-producer El-P imagines himself as a dot on a radar screen, tracked by unknown hunters, working his way across some surreal bureaucratic hellscape. On “Tougher Colder Killer,” a soldier kills a man for reasons he can’t quite explain. The victim’s last words—that there’s always someone bigger and better above him who can wipe him out—reverberate long after he’s left the battlefield. On “The Jig Is Up,” he asks a woman who for some bizarre reason wants to spend her free time with him, “Tell me who sent you here? What agency?” Yet just because El-P is paranoid doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be followed. Like the best works of science fiction, Cancer For Cure is compelling because its unsettling narratives aren’t purely fantasy.

El-P is an auteur in peak form here, weaving dense, cerebral verses packed with internal rhymes through a machine-tooled version of classic New York boom-bap with a gnarly, post-industrial edge—part KRS-One, part Cabaret Voltaire. There’s always a muffled cacophony of nasty voices just on the outside of a sealed subway car, through the ceiling of his poorly constructed apartment, or at the other end of a deep chemical stupor. “I’ve got memories to lose, man,” he admits on “Works Every Time.” But this isn’t pity-seeking, it’s pure pragmatism. El-P lost his good friend and collaborator Camu Tao to lung cancer in 2008, and the sense that the loss has tainted everything in his life pervades the record. The album ends with El-P’s laser-focused assertion that the memory of his friend keeps him locked in, pushing through the muck. It’s cold comfort, and he knows it’s likely pointless, but it’ll work for now.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/elp-cancer-for-cure,75288/

[Edited 5/22/12 19:31pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/23/12 1:33pm

Timmy84

Cerebus said:

Timmy84 said:

Wow. music

Hells yeah.

Album out tomorrow, officially. Cerebus will be purchasing it this weekend for sure.

I've read about 15 interviews with him about it now and he's been playin' it real chill, real humble. I think he knows he completely killed it. lol Probably my favorite thing he's ever done.

Cool. smile

Ugh, times like these, I wished North Carolina had an Amoeba Music store. neutral lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/23/12 1:50pm

Gunsnhalen

Damn love the first 2 tracks smile smile

Just got some of there songs on itunes smile

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/23/12 3:30pm

Trickology

Gunsnhalen said:

Damn love the first 2 tracks smile smile

Just got some of there songs on itunes smile

I have yet to listen to this other than " Full Retard" track. If you like this, you should definitely get R.A.P. Music. El-P produced that too. Probably the southern hip hop album of the year.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/24/12 9:41pm

Cerebus

avatar

El-P's Life Advice: Be Wrong, Stop Beefing, and Sample Freely

http://www.spin.com/articles/el-ps-life-advice-be-wrong-stop-beefing-and-sample-freely

May 24 2012, 1:03 PM ET
by Christopher R. Weingarten

Leading "independent as fuck" space-junkmen Company Flow, managing the mighty Definitive Jux label, and releasing three bloodletting solo records, producer-MC El-P has remained underground hip-hop's premier monopoly buster and chaos technician. His latest, Cancer for Cure (Fat Possum), is his most intense album yet, matching stuttering drum pileups and polysyllabic cluster bombs against Reznor-ready confessionals and humid droid noise. So, after nearly 20 years in the indie-rap hustle, he surely has some words of wisdom, right? He laughs, "You might as well hang up the phone right now, buddy."

I think it's important to let yourself be fucked up.
It's important in art to let yourself be wrong and to let yourself be confused and not even apologize for it. I'm wrong on every record that I make. But I'm wrong in life. Show me the guy who's not wrong and I don't really want to talk to him. Songs are not about being right; and art is not a fact-finding mission.

I don't do beef anymore. I'm a vegetarian.
At this point in my life, anyone can say damn near anything about me and I'm not engaging. Beef is a young dude's game. You're angrier. You have something to say about everything. Every little encounter or relationship can be met with self-righteousness, indignation, and fury. But how do you handle beef when you're feeling like that's something that you want to fuck with? Mercilessly. Kill everything in the room so that they walk away limping. If you're going to do it, then you should actually try and wound to kill.

Writing a song about your love life is a little bit tricky.
If you're really being honest about how you feel, someone might take offense. I think the only way to do it is just pretend people don't exist beyond your mind, beyond the song. That's just because the song has to happen, the song has to be there, the song has to exist. I remember I wrote [2009's] "How to Serve Man" and I got a few phone calls off that one. "Hi, I love that song. That was awesome….Obviously, it's not about me, so it's awesome." Of course it's not about you, but it is.

Don't count on a record label to be your bank. Don't count on a record label to be your psychologist or be your mom and dad.
The thing you need from a record label isn't anything else but people who are passionate about what you do. That's it. The rest of it you need to essentially take into your own hands as much as you can. Don't wait for your record label to expose you, don't wait for your record label to come with ideas as to how to make you something to talk about. I just want someone who knows what their job is and really genuinely loves what I do.

Fuck it. Sample. Go for it. What the fuck?
Is it wise? Shit, our world is careening headlong into a fiery pit of devastation. Is that wise? Sampling is an amazing art form that can yield results that no live recording can ever yield. Period. I would find it really difficult to tell anybody not to sample, the same way that I would find it difficult to tell people not to use the color red if someone made that illegal. People can probably tell me not to smoke weed. I still do that shit. If you find the genuine thrill of doing it, if you think you're gonna bring something new to the table, then go for it, man. And figure out the rest afterward. Shit, you don't think there's a part of me that wants to make Paul's Boutique 2?

I don't want to be the dude who jumps at money.
You turn things down because you need to be in control of who you are. I turned something down today. I got a call for a last-minute show at some awards thing tomorrow night for some ridiculous amount of money for a couple songs and I turned it down. Of course, if someone offers you 50 grand to do a show tomorrow, do the goddamn show. But being afraid to turn shit down is being afraid. I'm not big with fear.

Sometimes you have to give up something you love.
And at a certain point I realized I wasn't going to be doing anybody any favors by [running Definitive Jux] anymore. There was a point where I had to look at myself and be like, "What is it that I'm doing this for? Is it because I think it's what I want to do? Or am I addicted to being this guy? Am I power-tripping?" Once I realized I wasn't sure about that answer, I realized the only right thing for me to do was to step away. I was building something brick by brick. And every year it would get bigger and there was a wall. And finally when I laid the last brick, I looked around and I kind of felt like I had built a prison cell. Fuck, maybe I should've had an architect work this thing out beforehand.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/25/12 12:52pm

Timmy84

Cerebus said:

El-P's Life Advice: Be Wrong, Stop Beefing, and Sample Freely

http://www.spin.com/articles/el-ps-life-advice-be-wrong-stop-beefing-and-sample-freely

May 24 2012, 1:03 PM ET
by Christopher R. Weingarten

Leading "independent as fuck" space-junkmen Company Flow, managing the mighty Definitive Jux label, and releasing three bloodletting solo records, producer-MC El-P has remained underground hip-hop's premier monopoly buster and chaos technician. His latest, Cancer for Cure (Fat Possum), is his most intense album yet, matching stuttering drum pileups and polysyllabic cluster bombs against Reznor-ready confessionals and humid droid noise. So, after nearly 20 years in the indie-rap hustle, he surely has some words of wisdom, right? He laughs, "You might as well hang up the phone right now, buddy."

I think it's important to let yourself be fucked up.
It's important in art to let yourself be wrong and to let yourself be confused and not even apologize for it. I'm wrong on every record that I make. But I'm wrong in life. Show me the guy who's not wrong and I don't really want to talk to him. Songs are not about being right; and art is not a fact-finding mission.

I don't do beef anymore. I'm a vegetarian.
At this point in my life, anyone can say damn near anything about me and I'm not engaging. Beef is a young dude's game. You're angrier. You have something to say about everything. Every little encounter or relationship can be met with self-righteousness, indignation, and fury. But how do you handle beef when you're feeling like that's something that you want to fuck with? Mercilessly. Kill everything in the room so that they walk away limping. If you're going to do it, then you should actually try and wound to kill.

Writing a song about your love life is a little bit tricky.
If you're really being honest about how you feel, someone might take offense. I think the only way to do it is just pretend people don't exist beyond your mind, beyond the song. That's just because the song has to happen, the song has to be there, the song has to exist. I remember I wrote [2009's] "How to Serve Man" and I got a few phone calls off that one. "Hi, I love that song. That was awesome….Obviously, it's not about me, so it's awesome." Of course it's not about you, but it is.

Don't count on a record label to be your bank. Don't count on a record label to be your psychologist or be your mom and dad.
The thing you need from a record label isn't anything else but people who are passionate about what you do. That's it. The rest of it you need to essentially take into your own hands as much as you can. Don't wait for your record label to expose you, don't wait for your record label to come with ideas as to how to make you something to talk about. I just want someone who knows what their job is and really genuinely loves what I do.

Fuck it. Sample. Go for it. What the fuck?
Is it wise? Shit, our world is careening headlong into a fiery pit of devastation. Is that wise? Sampling is an amazing art form that can yield results that no live recording can ever yield. Period. I would find it really difficult to tell anybody not to sample, the same way that I would find it difficult to tell people not to use the color red if someone made that illegal. People can probably tell me not to smoke weed. I still do that shit. If you find the genuine thrill of doing it, if you think you're gonna bring something new to the table, then go for it, man. And figure out the rest afterward. Shit, you don't think there's a part of me that wants to make Paul's Boutique 2?

I don't want to be the dude who jumps at money.
You turn things down because you need to be in control of who you are. I turned something down today. I got a call for a last-minute show at some awards thing tomorrow night for some ridiculous amount of money for a couple songs and I turned it down. Of course, if someone offers you 50 grand to do a show tomorrow, do the goddamn show. But being afraid to turn shit down is being afraid. I'm not big with fear.

Sometimes you have to give up something you love.
And at a certain point I realized I wasn't going to be doing anybody any favors by [running Definitive Jux] anymore. There was a point where I had to look at myself and be like, "What is it that I'm doing this for? Is it because I think it's what I want to do? Or am I addicted to being this guy? Am I power-tripping?" Once I realized I wasn't sure about that answer, I realized the only right thing for me to do was to step away. I was building something brick by brick. And every year it would get bigger and there was a wall. And finally when I laid the last brick, I looked around and I kind of felt like I had built a prison cell. Fuck, maybe I should've had an architect work this thing out beforehand.

He seems real intelligent... nod

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/26/12 4:48pm

Cerebus

avatar

Timmy84 said:

He seems real intelligent... nod

I think so. I think he might be a little bit fatalistic, VERY paranoid and sometimes slightly negative. But hey, I genuinely relate to those feelings when they're incorporated into some art that moves me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/30/12 7:37pm

Cerebus

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > El-P - Cancer For Cure... You should pump this shit, like they do in the future...