independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 22nd Jul 2014 8:25am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > The top 25 R&B songs of all time (in my opinion)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/17/08 10:07pm

LoDog

avatar

The top 25 R&B songs of all time (in my opinion)

We all know that music is forever. And R&B is forever. R&B will be here long after we're gone. Years from now people will still be talking and playing these songs because they're classics. They define R&B music. And 100 years from now if an explorer of music wanted to examine the music of this generation and decades before, I'm sure these songs will still be mentioned cause goood songs never die. These are the epitomy of R&B royalty. First song is "My Girl". Love at its best. With Smokey lyrics and the Temps harmonies, this is an all time classic. Second is "Respect". Whether it's Otis or Aretha you can't doubt the lastin effect of this song. Third, "Let's Get It On". Oh Man! Love song of the millinium. Now here's my full list:

1. My Girl-The Temptations
2. Respect-Otis Redding/Aretha Franklin
3. Let's Get It On-Marvin Gaye
4. Let's Stay Together-Al Green
5. I Heard It Through The Grapevine-Gladys/Marvin/Roger
6. I'll Make Love To You-Boyz 2 Men
7. For The Love Of Money-The O'Jays
8. Tracks Of My Tears-Smokey & The Miracles
9. Sexual Healing-Marvin Gaye
10. What I'd Say-Ray Charles
11. I'll Be There-Jackson 5
12. When Doves Cry-Prince
13. Always and Forever-Heatwave
14. I Got You(I Feel Good)-James Brown
15. In The Rain-The Dramatics
16. Midnight Train To Georgia-Gladys Knight & The Pips
17. It's Your Thing-The Isley Brothers
18. I Never Loved A Man-Aretha Franklin
19. Just My Imagination-The Temptations
20. Sweet Love-Anita Baker
21. Always-Atlantic Starr
22. That Girl-Stevie Wonder
23. Strawberry Letter #23-The Brothers Johnson
24. Sweet Thing-Rufus & Chaka Khan
25. A House Is Not A Home-Luther Vandross
Peace and be wild!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/17/08 10:26pm

theodore

Share Your Love with Me - Aretha mushy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/17/08 10:35pm

badujunkie

avatar

LoDog said:

We all know that music is forever. And R&B is forever. R&B will be here long after we're gone. Years from now people will still be talking and playing these songs because they're classics. They define R&B music. And 100 years from now if an explorer of music wanted to examine the music of this generation and decades before, I'm sure these songs will still be mentioned cause goood songs never die. These are the epitomy of R&B royalty. First song is "My Girl". Love at its best. With Smokey lyrics and the Temps harmonies, this is an all time classic. Second is "Respect". Whether it's Otis or Aretha you can't doubt the lastin effect of this song. Third, "Let's Get It On". Oh Man! Love song of the millinium. Now here's my full list:

1. My Girl-The Temptations
2. Respect-Otis Redding/Aretha Franklin
3. Let's Get It On-Marvin Gaye
4. Let's Stay Together-Al Green
5. I Heard It Through The Grapevine-Gladys/Marvin/Roger
6. I'll Make Love To You-Boyz 2 Men
7. For The Love Of Money-The O'Jays
8. Tracks Of My Tears-Smokey & The Miracles
9. Sexual Healing-Marvin Gaye
10. What I'd Say-Ray Charles
11. I'll Be There-Jackson 5
12. When Doves Cry-Prince
13. Always and Forever-Heatwave
14. I Got You(I Feel Good)-James Brown
15. In The Rain-The Dramatics
16. Midnight Train To Georgia-Gladys Knight & The Pips
17. It's Your Thing-The Isley Brothers
18. I Never Loved A Man-Aretha Franklin
19. Just My Imagination-The Temptations
20. Sweet Love-Anita Baker
21. Always-Atlantic Starr
22. That Girl-Stevie Wonder
23. Strawberry Letter #23-The Brothers Johnson
24. Sweet Thing-Rufus & Chaka Khan
25. A House Is Not A Home-Luther Vandross


In no order:

1. Back in the Day - Erykah Badu
2. Never Too Much - Luther Vandross
3. Rock With You - MJ
4. Slide - Slave
5. The Beat Goes on - The Whispers
6. Jonz in My Bonz - D'Angelo
7. Creep - TLC
8. Got Til It's Gone - Janet and Q - Tip
9. I Can Make You Dance - Zapp/Roger
10. Real Love - Mary J
11. Stomp - The Brothers Johnson
12. Because of You - Ne Yo
13. Strawberry Letter - Brothers Johnson
14. Baby - Brandy
15. Thats the Way of the World - EWF
16. Cant Hide Love - EWF
17. Loves Holiday -EWF
18. Erotic City - Prince
19. Pink Cashmere - Prince
20. Lets Work - Prince
21. It - Prince
22. When Doves Cry - Prince
23. When I Think of You - Janet
24. Kiss Me on My Neck - Badu
25. Cleva - Badu



...and that's just off the top of me head!
I'll leave it alone babe...just be me
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/17/08 11:26pm

paintedlady

avatar

.oops
[Edited 1/17/08 23:35pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/17/08 11:33pm

paintedlady

avatar

paintedlady said:

I love those and I'll add to that

1. Stand by me- Ben E. King
2. Ebony Eyes- Rick& Smokey
3. In Between the Sheets- Isley Brothers
4. Candy- Cameo
5. Human Nature-Micheal Jackson
6. What Cha' Gonna Do For Me - Chaka Khan
7. A long Walk- Jill Scott
8. All Night Long- MJGirls
9. If Only you Knew-Patti Labelle
10. Dancin' in the Streets- Martha & the Vandelas ?
11. Atomic Dogg- G. Cliton
12. I Am Love- Jennifer Holiday
13. Tell Me (If you still care)- SOS Band
14. Killing Me Softly-Roberta Flack
15. Bad Girls-Donna Summer
16. Say It Loud..- James Brown
17. Georgia- Ray Charles
18. Don't Wait For Me-Morris Day
19. Erotic City- Prince
20. Give It To Me Baby-Rick James
21. Master Jammin'- Stevie Wonder
22. Superstar- Luther Vandross
23. anything- EW&F
24. Tell Me Something Good-Rufus& Chaka
25. What's Going On- Marvin Gaye

The mind is boggling now... to many hits too little time lol

[Edited 1/17/08 23:36pm]
[Edited 1/18/08 0:01am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/18/08 12:27am

wildgoldenhone
y

avatar

LoDog said:

We all know that music is forever. And R&B is forever. R&B will be here long after we're gone. Years from now people will still be talking and playing these songs because they're classics. They define R&B music. And 100 years from now if an explorer of music wanted to examine the music of this generation and decades before, I'm sure these songs will still be mentioned cause goood songs never die. These are the epitomy of R&B royalty. First song is "My Girl". Love at its best. With Smokey lyrics and the Temps harmonies, this is an all time classic. Second is "Respect". Whether it's Otis or Aretha you can't doubt the lastin effect of this song. Third, "Let's Get It On". Oh Man! Love song of the millinium. Now here's my full list:

1. My Girl-The Temptations
2. Respect-Otis Redding/Aretha Franklin
3. Let's Get It On-Marvin Gaye
4. Let's Stay Together-Al Green
5. I Heard It Through The Grapevine-Gladys/Marvin/Roger
6. I'll Make Love To You-Boyz 2 Men sigh
7. For The Love Of Money-The O'Jays
8. Tracks Of My Tears-Smokey & The Miracles sigh
9. Sexual Healing-Marvin Gaye
10. What I'd Say-Ray Charles
11. I'll Be There-Jackson 5
12. When Doves Cry-Prince sigh
13. Always and Forever-Heatwave sigh
14. I Got You(I Feel Good)-James Brown
15. In The Rain-The Dramatics
16. Midnight Train To Georgia-Gladys Knight & The Pips
17. It's Your Thing-The Isley Brothers
18. I Never Loved A Man-Aretha Franklin
19. Just My Imagination-The Temptations sigh
20. Sweet Love-Anita Baker
21. Always-Atlantic Starr
22. That Girl-Stevie Wonder
23. Strawberry Letter #23-The Brothers Johnson
24. Sweet Thing-Rufus & Chaka Khan
25. A House Is Not A Home-Luther Vandross

starTo succeed, eliminate negative forces in your life. Flood your mind with positive words, images, books, and conversations.star


HiddenYeLongOwl≈♥≈EdgyHindLoneOwl≈♥≈GlideYondHenOwl≈♥≈LegendWindOhLoy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/18/08 11:04am

namepeace

This is impossible.

But I'll go by:

1) singles

2) significance (historic and/or artistic),

3) popularity (which can be a factor in considering the "top" ones), and

4) stature as opposed to preference, meaning,

I'm not picking necessarily the ones I like or think to be the best, but the ones I think belong at the top, and I'm intentionally trying to be diverse.

*List changes every day . . .*

1. "My Girl" -- The Temptations
2. "What's Goin' On" -- Marvin Gaye
3. "Respect" -- Aretha Franklin
4. "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life" -- Stevie Wonder
5. "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" -- James Brown
6. "Let's Stay Together" -- Al Green
7. "Family Affair" -- Sly and The Family Stone
8. "We're A Winner" -- The Impressions
9. "I Only Have Eyes For You" -- The Flamingos
10. "I'm A Man" -- Bo Diddley
11. "Johnny B. Goode" -- Chuck Berry
12. "Tutti Frutti" -- Little Richard
13. "Ain't That A Shame" -- Fats Domino
14. "What I Say" -- Ray Charles
15. "La La (Means I Love You)" -- The Delfonics
16. "Never Can Say Goodbye" -- The Jackson 5
17. "Kiss" -- Prince and the Revolution
18. "Raspberry Beret" -- Prince and the Revolution
19. "Rock With You" -- Michael Jackson
20. "Love's Holiday" -- Earth, Wind & Fire
21. "September" -- Earth, Wind & Fire
22. "Easy" -- The Commodores
23. "Real Love" -- Mary J. Blige
24. "Sweet Love" -- Anita Baker
25. "Tell Me Something Good" -- Rufus Feat. Chaka Khan
Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/18/08 11:10am

Dance

Sexual Healing is the worst song ever recorded in the history of music.

and

OOOOO

BUT A CHAIR IS NOT A HOUSE

AND A HOUSE

There's not a minute, hour, day or night that I don't love yooooou

okay, i'm done, as you were.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/18/08 11:17am

namepeace

Dance said:

Sexual Healing is the worst song ever recorded in the history of music.


\

Really?

You really think so?
[Edited 1/18/08 11:17am]
Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/18/08 11:38am

Dance

namepeace said:

Dance said:

Sexual Healing is the worst song ever recorded in the history of music.


\

Really?

You really think so?
[Edited 1/18/08 11:17am]


Yes.

The second worst is Adore and right after that is Black Sweat.

































































and Family Guy sucks balls
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/18/08 11:55am

Timmy84

Just 25? eek lol

A'ight, here's mine but it's tough:

1.) Just to Keep You Satisfied - Marvin Gaye
2.) Love & Happiness - Al Green
3.) Here We Go Again - Isley Brothers
4.) Let's Straighten It Out - Lattimore
5.) You've Made Me So Very Happy - Brenda Holloway
6.) You & I (We Can Conquer the World) - Stevie Wonder
7.) You're All I Need to Get By - Marvin & Tammi
8.) Caught Up in the Rapture - Anita Baker
9.) Lady in My Life - Michael Jackson
10.) Love's Holiday - Earth, Wind & Fire
11.) 'Cause I Love You - Lenny Williams
12.) I'm Going Down - Rose Royce (yeah I said it!)
13.) Do Me Baby - Prince
14.) Send for Me - Atlantic Starr
15.) Slow Jam - Midnight Star
16.) I Miss You - Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes
17.) Written All Over Your Face - The Rude Boys featuring Gerald Levert
18.) I Stand Accused - Isaac Hayes
19.) If Only You Knew - Patti LaBelle
20.) It's a Man's Man's Man's World - James Brown
21.) Try a Little Tenderness - Otis Redding
22.) I've Been Loving You Too Long - Otis Redding
23.) Distant Lover - Marvin Gaye
24.) How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - Isaac Hayes
25.) Reasons - Earth, Wind & Fire
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/18/08 11:57am

namepeace

Dance said:



Yes.

The second worst is Adore and right after that is Black Sweat . . . [and] Family Guy sucks . . .


You need some sunshine in your life . . . such hatred . . .smile

"Sexual Healing" and "Adore" are two of the worst songs ever written, according to Dance.

You can't be serious.

I can't say you're WRONG on "Black Sweat" or Family Guy, there's a lot of room for disagreement there.

But you're going to have to support your opinion on what are widely regarded as two of the best soul songs of the last 30 years.

Strike that . . . post your 25. That'll tell me enough.
[Edited 1/18/08 11:59am]
Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/18/08 11:59am

Timmy84

namepeace said:

Dance said:



Yes.

The second worst is Adore and right after that is Black Sweat . . . [and] Family Guy sucks . . .


You need some sunshine in your life.

"Sexual Healing" and "Adore" are two of the worst songs ever written, according to Dance.

You can't be serious.

I can't say you're WRONG on "Black Sweat" or Family Guy, there's a lot of room for disagreement there.

But you're going to have to support your opinion on what are widely regarded as two of the best soul songs of the last 30 years.


I won't sweat it, just opinion. smile I agree though, I love those songs. music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/18/08 12:05pm

Graycap23

I would not even know where 2 begin such a list. One of my Ipod has 10,000 songs in it alone.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/18/08 2:20pm

namepeace

Timmy84 said:

I won't sweat it, just opinion. smile I agree though, I love those songs. music


Yeah, just playing with Dance.

There's no wrong opinion, I suppose. I can opine Dance is out of Dance's mind for hating those songs, and Dance can opine that I'm blind for loving those songs. And we can make the arguments such that we're both right

But the argument is fun as long as it's friendly.
Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/18/08 4:58pm

lowkey

well im gonna list MY top25, this is my personal list not what the critics or anyone else decided.these are not in order

1.fire and desire..rick james/teena marie
2.that girl...stevie wonder
3.secret garden...quincy jones&co
4.if this world were mine...luther and cheryl lynn
5.when im with you...tony terry
6.through the fire....chaka khan
7.remember the time...michael jackson
8.sweet thing...chaka &rufus
9.feel the fire...stephanie mills
10.never gonna give you up..barry white
11.love wont let me wait....major harris
12.my life...mary j blige
13.seven days....mary j blige
14.i want her...keith sweat
15.roni...bobby brown
16.before i let go...frankie beverly and maze
17.sweet love...anita baker
18. baby come to me...regina belle
19.reasons...earth,wind,fire
20,sarah smile...hall & oats
21.turn off the lights...teddy pendergrass
22.slow jam...midnight star
23.hurry up this way again...stylistics
24.stomp...brothers johnson
25.glow of love...change

wow its so many more, i can easily replace these 25 with another 25 that i love just as much
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/19/08 12:30am

LoDog

avatar

Dance said:

namepeace said:



\

Really?

You really think so?
[Edited 1/18/08 11:17am]


Yes.

The second worst is Adore and right after that is Black Sweat.

ARE YOU CRAZY! Sexual and House are two of the greatest love songs of our time. And when you mention either Luther or Marvin, these songs are always the first to be brought up. These songs make you want to cuddle up with your loved one (I'm assuming you don't have one because of your hate). People fall in love and babies are made when these songs are played. As for Adore, ARE YOU CRAZY! You must be high right now. Adore was a tribute song for P's love for Luther. So he wrote the song in his own image using Luther's style. So that's a second strike on you. That's a second whack at Luther. You need your head examined or put out of your misery. As for Black Sweat, you can keep that because nobody here even mentioned that song as a all time classic. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Too late!































































and Family Guy sucks balls
Peace and be wild!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/19/08 2:46pm

Dance

LoDog said:

ARE YOU CRAZY! Sexual and House are two of the greatest love songs of our time. And when you mention either Luther or Marvin, these songs are always the first to be brought up. These songs make you want to cuddle up with your loved one (I'm assuming you don't have one because of your hate). People fall in love and babies are made when these songs are played. As for Adore, ARE YOU CRAZY! You must be high right now. Adore was a tribute song for P's love for Luther. So he wrote the song in his own image using Luther's style. So that's a second strike on you. That's a second whack at Luther. You need your head examined or put out of your misery. As for Black Sweat, you can keep that because nobody here even mentioned that song as a all time classic. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Too late!


1. I'm going to need you to calm the fuck down.

2. If I thought "House" sucked, I would have typed that House sucked. I also referenced Never Too Much. Re-read.

3. Sexual Healing and Adore suck balls

4. Stop using meth.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/19/08 3:07pm

namepeace

Dance said:

1. I'm going to need you to calm the fuck down.

2. If I thought "House" sucked, I would have typed that House sucked. I also referenced Never Too Much. Re-read.

3. Sexual Healing and Adore suck balls

4. Stop using meth.


What's your top 25?
Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/19/08 3:46pm

Dance

namepeace said:

What's your top 25?


Just as you stated,

there is no top 25.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/20/08 3:23am

FuNkeNsteiN

avatar

LoDog said:


1. My Girl-The Temptations
2. Respect-Otis Redding/Aretha Franklin
3. Let's Get It On-Marvin Gaye
4. Let's Stay Together-Al Green
5. I Heard It Through The Grapevine-Gladys/Marvin/Roger
6. I'll Make Love To You-Boyz 2 Men
7. For The Love Of Money-The O'Jays
8. Tracks Of My Tears-Smokey & The Miracles
9. Sexual Healing-Marvin Gaye
10. What I'd Say-Ray Charles
11. I'll Be There-Jackson 5
12. When Doves Cry-Prince
13. Always and Forever-Heatwave
14. I Got You(I Feel Good)-James Brown
15. In The Rain-The Dramatics
16. Midnight Train To Georgia-Gladys Knight & The Pips
17. It's Your Thing-The Isley Brothers
18. I Never Loved A Man-Aretha Franklin
19. Just My Imagination-The Temptations
20. Sweet Love-Anita Baker
21. Always-Atlantic Starr
22. That Girl-Stevie Wonder
23. Strawberry Letter #23-The Brothers Johnson
24. Sweet Thing-Rufus & Chaka Khan
25. A House Is Not A Home-Luther Vandross


What. The. Fuck?!? lol
It is not known why FuNkeNsteiN capitalizes his name as he does, though some speculate sunlight deficiency caused by the most pimpified white guy afro in Nordic history.

- Lammastide
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/20/08 3:25am

FuNkeNsteiN

avatar

namepeace said:

But you're going to have to support your opinion on what are widely regarded as two of the best soul songs of the last 30 years.

hmm

Eh...
It is not known why FuNkeNsteiN capitalizes his name as he does, though some speculate sunlight deficiency caused by the most pimpified white guy afro in Nordic history.

- Lammastide
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/20/08 11:35am

namepeace

Dance said:

namepeace said:

What's your top 25?


Just as you stated,

there is no top 25.


Well, give us 25 anyway!
Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/20/08 11:36am

namepeace

FuNkeNsteiN said:

namepeace said:

But you're going to have to support your opinion on what are widely regarded as two of the best soul songs of the last 30 years.

hmm

Eh...


Are you saying that a bunch of people don't regard "Adore" and "Sexual Healing" as two of the best of the 80's, 90's and 00's? Or is it that you just disagree?
Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/20/08 12:04pm

FuNkeNsteiN

avatar

namepeace said:

FuNkeNsteiN said:


hmm

Eh...


Are you saying that a bunch of people don't regard "Adore" and "Sexual Healing" as two of the best of the 80's, 90's and 00's? Or is it that you just disagree?


I'm not sure I agree with the 'widely regarded as the best' part when it comes to Adore. I don't think I've ever seen anyone other than Prince fans praise that song lol
It is not known why FuNkeNsteiN capitalizes his name as he does, though some speculate sunlight deficiency caused by the most pimpified white guy afro in Nordic history.

- Lammastide
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/20/08 3:36pm

Timmy84

FuNkeNsteiN said:

namepeace said:



Are you saying that a bunch of people don't regard "Adore" and "Sexual Healing" as two of the best of the 80's, 90's and 00's? Or is it that you just disagree?


I'm not sure I agree with the 'widely regarded as the best' part when it comes to Adore. I don't think I've ever seen anyone other than Prince fans praise that song lol


Really? Damn, lol.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/20/08 4:28pm

namepeace

FuNkeNsteiN said:

I'm not sure I agree with the 'widely regarded as the best' part when it comes to Adore. I don't think I've ever seen anyone other than Prince fans praise that song lol


The key phrase is "TWO OF the best." Implying 2 of many.

And I've seen publications like EW and Rolling Stone give shout-outs to it. Moreover, many of my friends and acquaintances who are really not Prince fans talk about that song quite a bit, and I've heard it in Quiet Storm rotation in more than one market.
Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/21/08 3:28am

bobsteezy

avatar

Strictly my PERSONAL 25.

R&B right?

1. I Wanna be Your Lover - Prince
2. If This World We're Mine - Luther Vandross & Cheryl Lynn
3. Let's Get Down - Tony! Toni! Tone'! and DJ Quik
4. So Into You - Tamia
5. If I was Your Girlfriend - Prince
6. Spiritual Thing - Eric Benet
7. Better Than Making Love - Chante Moore
8. Feels so Right - Janet
9. Sugar Free - Juicy
10. Closer - Goapele
11. Yearning for Your Love - Gap Band
12. Love's Train - ConFunkShun
13. (Lay Your Head on My) Pillow - Tony! Toni! Tone'!
14. Rock the Boat - Aaliyah
15. All About Love - E,W, & F
16. Love Ballad - LTD
17. Bag Lady - Erykah Badu
18. I'm Just Wanting You - Jesse Johnson
19. Chic - Raphael Saadiq
20. Fortunate - Maxwell
21. Shine - Bar Kays
22. Open Letter - S.o.S. Band
23. I Wanna Get Next to You - Rose Royce
24. Nothing Can Come Between Us - Sade
25. I Said I Love You - Babyface
We all want the stuff that's found in our wildest dreams.

http://www.ustream.tv/cha...dj-bobstar
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/21/08 3:47am

DarlingDiana

avatar

At the moment they're just in the order I thought of them. I'll get around the ordering them eventually.

What'd I Say - Ray Charles
Dancing in the Street - Martha & the Vandellas
You Can't Hurry Love - Diana Ross & The Supremes
Take Me To The River - Al Green
Hold On, I'm Coming - Sam & Dave
Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye
Respect - Aretha Franklin
I Want You Back - The Jackson 5
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Let's Stay Together - Al Green
I Wanna Be Your Lover - Prince
Lucille - Little Richard
My Girl - The Temptations
I Wish - Stevie Wonder
Knock on Wood - Eddie Floyd
If You Want Me To Stay - Sly & the Family Stone
Do Me Baby - Prince
September - Earth, Wind and Fire
Remember the Time - Michael Jackson
So long as men desire to live together, no man may initiate the use of physical force against others.
- Ayn Rand
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/26/08 7:30pm

LittleAmy

namepeace said:


You need some sunshine in your life . . . such hatred . . .smile

"Sexual Healing" and "Adore" are two of the worst songs ever written, according to Dance.

You can't be serious.

I can't say you're WRONG on "Black Sweat" or Family Guy, there's a lot of room for disagreement there.

But you're going to have to support your opinion on what are widely regarded as two of the best soul songs of the last 30 years.


When I read this comment, the Prince song I thought you were talking about was "When Doves Cry." I also can see that being said about "1999," maybe "Little Red Corvette."

But "Adore?" It's a good song, but it's not something particularly riveting nor nearly as acclaimed as you make it out to be. I would have a hard time calling it one of Prince's top songs, much less one of the best soul songs of the last 30 years.

Any way, this is my first post. So I'll name what I think are the most significant 25 soul songs made:

1. The Temptations "My Girl"
2. Aretha Franklin "Respect"
3. Marvin Gaye "What's Going On"
4. James Brown "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag"
5. James Brown "I Got You (I Feel Good)"

6. Al Green "Let's Stay Together"
7. Sly and The Family Stone "Family Affair"
8. Funkadelic "One Nation under a Groove"
9. Michael Jackson "Billie Jean"
10. Marvin Gaye "I Heard It through the Grapevine"

11. Otis Redding "(Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay"
12. Marvin Gaye "Let's Get It On"
13. Gladys Knight & The Pips "Midnight Train To Georgia"
14. James Brown "Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine"
15. Sam Cooke "A Change Is Gonna Come"

16. Luther Ingram "(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right"
17. The Jackson 5 "I'll Be There"
18. Earth, Wind & Fire "That's the Way of the World"
19. The Isley Brothers "It's Your Thing"
20. The O'Jays "Back Stabbers"

21. Isaac Hayes "Theme from 'Shaft'"
22. Stevie Wonder "Superstition"
23. Chuck Berry "Johnny B. Goode"
24. Prince & The Revolution "When Doves Cry"
25. The Temptations "Papa Was a Rolling Stone"
[Edited 1/26/08 19:32pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > The top 25 R&B songs of all time (in my opinion)