independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 20th Nov 2018 9:57pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What are your thoughts on "Dolphin"?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/02/18 7:14pm

SoftSkarlettLo
visa

What are your thoughts on "Dolphin"?

I've been playing this song non-stop, particularly after I watched the music video on Youtube in its entirity.

Such a nice, relaxing song. The lyrics are heart-felt. One of the best on the Gold album.

Your thoughts?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/02/18 8:23pm

littlemissG

avatar

I love. The strong lyrics and simple arrangement makes it one of P’s best songs in my opinion.
No More Haters on the Internet.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/02/18 8:24pm

littlemissG

avatar

littlemissG said:

I love it. The strong lyrics and simple arrangement makes it one of P’s best songs in my opinion.
No More Haters on the Internet.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/02/18 8:39pm

Lovejunky

avatar

SoftSkarlettLovisa said:

I've been playing this song non-stop, particularly after I watched the music video on Youtube in its entirity.

Such a nice, relaxing song. The lyrics are heart-felt. One of the best on the Gold album.

Your thoughts?

His way with words...As usual he says so much with so little

How beautiful do the words have 2 be
Before they conquer every heart?

and this...

Wow..YES prince YES...

U can cut off all my fins -

But 2 your ways I will not bend
I'll die before I let U

tell me how 2 swim

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/02/18 11:46pm

McD

avatar

Lovejunky said:


His way with words...As usual he says so much with so little



How beautiful do the words have 2 be
Before they conquer every heart?





One of the most telling lines in his entire body of work.

A global superstar amazed that there are other global superstars much more popular than him with only a fraction of his ability.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/03/18 12:04am

TrivialPursuit

We are talking about that over here: http://prince.org/msg/7/457123

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/03/18 12:12am

thedance

avatar

woot!

Perfect song - on a perfect album.

cool cool cool

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/03/18 4:42am

jaawwnn

avatar

Can't stand it, cheesy nonsense, especially that chorus. Nice guitar tone. I know he means it but its not for me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/03/18 6:13am

rdhull

avatar

I've never liked it.

Lost your keys? check princevault..lost your relationhip? check princevault..they have all the answers
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/03/18 6:14am

rdhull

avatar

jaawwnn said:

Can't stand it, cheesy nonsense, especially that chorus. Nice guitar tone. I know he means it but its not for me.

Agreed. Its like a Brady Bunch song. Or 90210.

Lost your keys? check princevault..lost your relationhip? check princevault..they have all the answers
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/03/18 6:25am

dodger

rdhull said:



jaawwnn said:


Can't stand it, cheesy nonsense, especially that chorus. Nice guitar tone. I know he means it but its not for me.

Agreed. Its like a Brady Bunch song. Or 90210.



90210 lol
I love it myself and probably prefer The Undertaker version
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/03/18 7:27am

kingricefan

I liked it from the first time I heard it. Seems that this song to some members is akin to Sexy MF as they don't like the lyrics but like the music? For me the lyrics are very heartfelt to Prince. Since his passing I've really wanted to go swim with some dolphins.....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/03/18 7:52am

jaawwnn

avatar

kingricefan said:

I liked it from the first time I heard it. Seems that this song to some members is akin to Sexy MF as they don't like the lyrics but like the music? For me the lyrics are very heartfelt to Prince. Since his passing I've really wanted to go swim with some dolphins.....

Could be the lyrics, it's the delivery as well though. It's definitely the chorus that bugs me, I like the verses. I prefer the less busy, less produced Undertaker version but not enough to play often.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/03/18 8:06am

thedance

avatar

Dolphin: worship


wow so many haters, u guys are complete nuts... nuts

what a lovely poprock song... a Prince classic.

Clean ur MF'ing ears.



Imho: hmm

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/03/18 8:18am

rdhull

avatar

thedance said:

Dolphin: worship


wow so many haters, u guys are complete nuts... nuts

what a lovely poprock song... a Prince classic.

Clean ur MF'ing ears.



Imho: hmm

lol

Lost your keys? check princevault..lost your relationhip? check princevault..they have all the answers
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/03/18 8:19am

pinkcashmere23

I like it! I think the message in the lyrics is beautiful and that it's interesting musically. I Love his guitar work in it as well. I thought it was nice that he played a bit of it at a few of the P&M shows and thought it worked well with David Bowie's "Heroes"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/03/18 8:47am

maplenpg

jaawwnn said:



kingricefan said:


I liked it from the first time I heard it. Seems that this song to some members is akin to Sexy MF as they don't like the lyrics but like the music? For me the lyrics are very heartfelt to Prince. Since his passing I've really wanted to go swim with some dolphins.....



Could be the lyrics, it's the delivery as well though. It's definitely the chorus that bugs me, I like the verses. I prefer the less busy, less produced Undertaker version but not enough to play often.


I agree, I cant sing along to the chorus without putting on a stupid nasal voice or something equally dumb. Sometimes I just la la la to it, it bores me.
It never ceases to amaze me how cruel humans can be against fellow humans and animals, especially when in the pursuit of money and power.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/03/18 9:06am

udo

avatar

M A S T E R P I E C E

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/03/18 9:16am

dodger

thedance said:

Dolphin: worship


wow so many haters, u guys are complete nuts... nuts

what a lovely poprock song... a Prince classic.

Clean ur MF'ing ears.



Imho: hmm



Yes, you tell them nutty MF’s
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/03/18 9:18am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

lock dupe

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What are your thoughts on "Dolphin"?