independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 21st Sep 2018 6:23am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince In Jazz - new compilation
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/05/18 9:32am

TrivialPursuit

Prince In Jazz - new compilation

source

Singer N'Dambi (who is a fantastic neo-soul-esque singer and was featured on an episode of NPGMC Ahdio #5) just tweeted/FB'd that she is part of a new jazz compilation of Prince music. I interviewed N'Dambi back in 2010 just after Pink Elephant came out. She is a genuine soul and a great talent.

Here is the tracklist:

36677026_10156720305485312_5932939854143815680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7bab052b796171bad6da232ba4bbe7bc&oe=5B9F6B5A36774204_10156720305480312_493926225497030656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=dde1f78ed8317d966e510f38d82eb7a8&oe=5BA375B9

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/05/18 10:55am

jdcxc

Thanks...looks like a cool project.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/05/18 1:13pm

TrivialPursuit

jdcxc said:

Thanks...looks like a cool project.


I'll post this just because I don't know who knows and who doesn't, but back around 1994 Bob Belden released a CD of Prince covers. It's not bad. The takes on things like "1999", "When Doves Cry", and "Little Red Corvette" are sorta nice. The Belden songs on this compilation are from his project 24 years ago. I believe Herbie Hancock's "Thieves In The Temple" has been out for a minute, too. Same with Randy Crawford's "Purple Rain" (I think).

As far as I know, N'Dambi's track is new, as a few others might be.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/05/18 1:50pm

poppys

I will check that out.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/05/18 4:13pm

VanGogh

The Osunlade cover of “Crazy You” is fantastic. It’s from 2006 or so.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/05/18 4:19pm

anc282

TrivialPursuit said:

jdcxc said:

Thanks...looks like a cool project.


I'll post this just because I don't know who knows and who doesn't, but back around 1994 Bob Belden released a CD of Prince covers. It's not bad. The takes on things like "1999", "When Doves Cry", and "Little Red Corvette" are sorta nice. The Belden songs on this compilation are from his project 24 years ago. I believe Herbie Hancock's "Thieves In The Temple" has been out for a minute, too. Same with Randy Crawford's "Purple Rain" (I think).

As far as I know, N'Dambi's track is new, as a few others might be.

Actually N'Dambi's cover was originally on the Japanese version of her album "A Weird Kinda Wonderful." I know cuz I bought it years ago on eBay, so that's been around for a while, too. Unless she's re-recorded it for this project, that is.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/05/18 5:05pm

TrivialPursuit

anc282 said:

Actually N'Dambi's cover was originally on the Japanese version of her album "A Weird Kinda Wonderful." I know cuz I bought it years ago on eBay, so that's been around for a while, too. Unless she's re-recorded it for this project, that is.


Ahh, well there ya go. I'm not quite as familiar w/ that album compared to Pink Elephant. It looks as though they are all pulled from previous sources.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/05/18 7:40pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

cool

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/06/18 11:26am

TrivialPursuit

VanGogh said:

The Osunlade cover of “Craz... fantastic. It’s from 2006 or so.


There is an indie record label called Foreign Exchange. People like Sy Smith, Phonte, Zo! and Nicolay record. Sy Smith did a cover of "Crazy You" a few short years ago that is really nice. (I believe she also covered Steely Dan's "Black Cow" which was just as nice.)

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/06/18 2:10pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

cool

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/07/18 11:41am

ufoclub

avatar

I wonder about the "(outtake)" on the first track.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/07/18 1:12pm

Graciegirl719

Dude this is so cool. I love jazz.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/08/18 2:51am

erik319

avatar

ufoclub said:

I wonder about the "(outtake)" on the first track.

It was recorded for one of her later albums, but never used. It's in circulation on an expanded version of an album. You can hear it on Spotify/Google Play & probably other streaming services. It's an erm.. interesting take on the song. The music is subblime... Nina 'rapping' the lyrics isn't what I was expecting vocally though smile

blah blah blah
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/09/18 5:59am

jdcxc

Graciegirl719 said:

Dude this is so cool. I love jazz.



I love this amazing version of Calhoun Square covered by a diverse group of young Jazz artists as a tribute to Prince.


https://m.youtube.com/wat...8F-tS8iF6c
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/09/18 9:48am

Graciegirl719

jdcxc said:

Graciegirl719 said:

Dude this is so cool. I love jazz.

I love this amazing version of Calhoun Square covered by a diverse group of young Jazz artists as a tribute to Prince. https://m.youtube.com/wat...8F-tS8iF6c

Cool! I'll check it out. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/09/18 9:56am

Silvertongue7

erik319 said:



ufoclub said:


I wonder about the "(outtake)" on the first track.





It was recorded for one of her later albums, but never used. It's in circulation on an expanded version of an album. You can hear it on Spotify/Google Play & probably other streaming services. It's an erm.. interesting take on the song. The music is subblime... Nina 'rapping' the lyrics isn't what I was expecting vocally though smile


It’s just terrible falloff
Someone's in my body, someone's in my body...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/09/18 10:21am

Milty2

Is there a link to this?

PRINCE - Hometown Hero: vimeo.com/136326665
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/09/18 10:27am

TrivialPursuit

Milty2 said:

Is there a link to this?


There is a source link that can lead you to more, or there is Google.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/09/18 12:08pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

I got this CD in the post today. I'll give it a spin in the car tomorrow.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince In Jazz - new compilation