independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 11th Dec 2018 8:51am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > selling Prince bootlegs is Wack!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/06/18 1:13pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

selling Prince bootlegs is Wack!

selling Prince bootlegs is Wack!!! confused

ie:

1) Lame, sorry ass.

2) Something that just plain sucks, or isn't cool at all. Lame!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/06/18 1:16pm

FunkOnTheOne

MD431Madcat said:

selling Prince bootlegs is Wack!!! confused



ie:


1) Lame, sorry ass.


2) Something that just plain sucks, or isn't cool at all. Lame!



Nowadays you would think that very few people pay for them but then judging by eBay there must be quite a few.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/06/18 5:01pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

seek & ye shall find many Prince bootlegs 4 sale online.

FunkOnTheOne said:

MD431Madcat said:

selling Prince bootlegs is Wack!!! confused

ie:

1) Lame, sorry ass.

2) Something that just plain sucks, or isn't cool at all. Lame!

Nowadays you would think that very few people pay for them but then judging by eBay there must be quite a few.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/06/18 5:17pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Pshhh, people have been making a lot of money off Prince bootlegs over the years and they're still at it.

"If you're living, you've got nothing left to prove..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/06/18 5:47pm

youngyosh

avatar

Everytime I see them on ebay I report the CD/DVD listing for violations, but eBay are very slow to react, and then the scum sellers just open a new account. sad

Ripping fans off @ $50,$100, sometimes $200 a time for already circulating audio and video.

.

I hope the Prince estate can be more active in shutting these F***ers down....even better take direct legal action against the sellers.

.

ps - Feel free to report the items on eBay when you come across them, if you agree. cool

.


[Edited 1/6/18 17:50pm]

\o/\o/ ° The Breakdown = Best Prince song for 20 years
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/06/18 6:54pm

Adorecream

Yeah, but getting them for free is pretty cool, plus with bootlegs you can se more dimensions of his raw talent. So many gems on bootleg and on bootleg before official.

.

Come on, how many of you had heard Wonderful Ass or Electric Intercourse before PR Deluxe came out or Crucial and Crystal Ball before the 1998 Cringe fest came out, and when did you hear Small Club - probably on a bootleg. Evil or not, bootlegs are necessary.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/06/18 7:21pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

selling Prince bootlegs -in the 90's

Was Cool..



Adorecream said:

Yeah, but getting them for free is pretty cool, plus with bootlegs you can se more dimensions of his raw talent. So many gems on bootleg and on bootleg before official.

.

Come on, how many of you had heard Wonderful Ass or Electric Intercourse before PR Deluxe came out or Crucial and Crystal Ball before the 1998 Cringe fest came out, and when did you hear Small Club - probably on a bootleg. Evil or not, bootlegs are necessary.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/06/18 8:42pm

NAMOR3000

avatar

Some of us don't know where 2 look online 4 the free downloads. And many "fams" don't wanna share where 2 find them. So people buy boots. Get over it!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/07/18 12:17am

FunkOnTheOne

NAMOR3000 said:

Some of us don't know where 2 look online 4 the free downloads. And many "fams" don't wanna share where 2 find them. So people buy boots. Get over it!!!


Facebook is flooded with them. I think there's always been something uncomfortable about people making money off others people's work, rather like you working this year and someone else being paid your money.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/07/18 2:20am

Angelsoncrack

avatar

I've seen them in official stores in the UK. HMV sells them, which I'm honestly suprised at because they've been in there for at least a year or so now.

✿Prince and lawsuits. Still a better love-story than Twilight. ✿

@Spoookyelectric ← Follow me on Twitter!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/07/18 3:37am

udo

avatar

MD431Madcat said:

selling Prince bootlegs is Wack!!! confused

ie:

1) Lame, sorry ass.

2) Something that just plain sucks, or isn't cool at all. Lame!

.

Haha.

Very deep and logical arguments.

Espcially today the arguments for selling bootlegs count:

- Prince does not put out records anymore

- The estate only managed to do a lame (fact!) PR remaster with issues

- There are no known plans of any(re)release of music by the Estate

Thus the only source that remains are the b00tleggars!

They provide us with unreleased materials.

Whether you like them discs is another issue.

You can simply wait and download the stuff on your ipod and cry when you lose it.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/07/18 3:41am

LonelyStarfish

I will continue to buy boots if i like the packaging & the sound quality is good..
Music is music, ultimately. If it makes you feel good, cool.

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c...pp=desktop
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/07/18 4:50am

databank

avatar

If no one bought them no one would sell them.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/07/18 5:31am

Revolution81

avatar

It wouldnt be so bad if some thought and effort actually went into the boots, instead of rushing stuff out every few months in an attempt to grab as much cash from gullible fans as possible.

Instead we get things like "wally" sandwiched in between 4 discs of rehash and sheila e outtakes with shitty artwork and "liner notes" blatently ripped from other sites...

Whats really wack is the people that take this stuff they most likely got for free or given in trust and sell them to the boot labels, knowing this is going to happen, all for the sake of money

Just waiting for the vault keeper to come in with his usual guff of "but the boot labels giive me the option of buying stuff the collectors dont want me to have and blah blah"

My fathers got a shotgun...I hope he doesn't use it
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/07/18 6:19am

jdcxc

What is wack is the way the Estate is squandering his legacy in trivial litigation. The ego, self serving BS has to end. Who in that camp has a strategic plan to highlight Prince’s Art? They don’t even know his music.

What is wack is Warner Bros not holding up Prince’s legacy in the same manner they have treated other dead superstars.

What is wack is the truckload of Prince genius that will not get in the hands of Real Fans for years and years. Bootleggers provide a necessary revolutionary public service.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/07/18 6:34am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Once upon a time I tried to unload some of my old bootlegs (from the late 80s/early 90s) that I didn't need anymore on ebay. Funny thing is, they noticed and canceled my auction. Meanwhile, any day of the week you can find people selling pirated bootleg copies of out-of-print official material on ebay and even when I've reported it they never do anything about it. Clearly, someone selling multiple pirated copies of The Gold Experience or One Nite Alone is worse than selling a single copy of Crucial or He's Got The Look. No?

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/07/18 7:12am

sulls

avatar

udo said:

MD431Madcat said:

selling Prince bootlegs is Wack!!! confused

ie:

1) Lame, sorry ass.

2) Something that just plain sucks, or isn't cool at all. Lame!

.

Haha.

Very deep and logical arguments.

Espcially today the arguments for selling bootlegs count:

- Prince does not put out records anymore

- The estate only managed to do a lame (fact!) PR remaster with issues

- There are no known plans of any(re)release of music by the Estate

Thus the only source that remains are the b00tleggars!

They provide us with unreleased materials.

Whether you like them discs is another issue.

You can simply wait and download the stuff on your ipod and cry when you lose it.

yeahthat

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/07/18 7:15am

sulls

avatar

I prefer a 'professionally' pressed / packaged physical product. I don't know the costs of producing such a thing, but if selling mitigates the costs, I can understand that.

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/07/18 7:20am

databank

avatar

sulls said:

I prefer a 'professionally' pressed / packaged physical product. I don't know the costs of producing such a thing, but if selling mitigates the costs, I can understand that.

Back before the internet when I collected physical CD's (I had over 600 and an additional 200 cassettes from even before that time), I always saw bootlegs as some sort of intruders in my collection: since they weren't official they didn't really belong there, they were just some sort of a parallel collection. I would purchase them for the music, of course, but I didn't care having the real deal or a copy (when I would never tolerate a burned copy of an official record), because they weren't "real" anyway.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/07/18 7:26am

sulls

avatar

databank said:

sulls said:

I prefer a 'professionally' pressed / packaged physical product. I don't know the costs of producing such a thing, but if selling mitigates the costs, I can understand that.

Back before the internet when I collected physical CD's (I had over 600 and an additional 200 cassettes from even before that time), I always saw bootlegs as some sort of intruders in my collection: since they weren't official they didn't really belong there, they were just some sort of a parallel collection. I would purchase them for the music, of course, but I didn't care having the real deal or a copy (when I would never tolerate a burned copy of an official record), because they weren't "real" anyway.

I can agree with that. The bulk of my collection is digital anyway, but once you lose it, unless you know of some place to get it back, it's gone. "Digital music disappears in the daytime". With the physical product, you still have access to it.

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/07/18 7:31am

Revolution81

avatar

databank said:

sulls said:

I prefer a 'professionally' pressed / packaged physical product. I don't know the costs of producing such a thing, but if selling mitigates the costs, I can understand that.

Back before the internet when I collected physical CD's (I had over 600 and an additional 200 cassettes from even before that time), I always saw bootlegs as some sort of intruders in my collection: since they weren't official they didn't really belong there, they were just some sort of a parallel collection. I would purchase them for the music, of course, but I didn't care having the real deal or a copy (when I would never tolerate a burned copy of an official record), because they weren't "real" anyway.

Exactly. what does it matter how its packaged if its not "official". A lot of these boots are pressed from lossy digital files anyway. At the end of the day, the music going into your ears is what matters, Nowadays u cant even be sure with even official stuff, just look at purple rain deluxe for example.

But each to their own

My fathers got a shotgun...I hope he doesn't use it
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/07/18 7:32am

Revolution81

avatar

sulls said:

databank said:

Back before the internet when I collected physical CD's (I had over 600 and an additional 200 cassettes from even before that time), I always saw bootlegs as some sort of intruders in my collection: since they weren't official they didn't really belong there, they were just some sort of a parallel collection. I would purchase them for the music, of course, but I didn't care having the real deal or a copy (when I would never tolerate a burned copy of an official record), because they weren't "real" anyway.

I can agree with that. The bulk of my collection is digital anyway, but once you lose it, unless you know of some place to get it back, it's gone. "Digital music disappears in the daytime". With the physical product, you still have access to it.

thats why u back up, and back up your back ups.

Anyway, once its on the net in digital form, its always gonna be re-obtainable from somewhere or someone

My fathers got a shotgun...I hope he doesn't use it
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/07/18 7:46am

TheDigitalGard
ener

sulls said:

databank said:

Back before the internet when I collected physical CD's (I had over 600 and an additional 200 cassettes from even before that time), I always saw bootlegs as some sort of intruders in my collection: since they weren't official they didn't really belong there, they were just some sort of a parallel collection. I would purchase them for the music, of course, but I didn't care having the real deal or a copy (when I would never tolerate a burned copy of an official record), because they weren't "real" anyway.

I can agree with that. The bulk of my collection is digital anyway, but once you lose it, unless you know of some place to get it back, it's gone. "Digital music disappears in the daytime". With the physical product, you still have access to it.

Not if your house burns down you don't. You could easily make back ups of your digital copies and keep them elsewhere. Something happens to your house, your physical copies are gone.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/07/18 8:12am

sulls

avatar

TheDigitalGardener said:

sulls said:

I can agree with that. The bulk of my collection is digital anyway, but once you lose it, unless you know of some place to get it back, it's gone. "Digital music disappears in the daytime". With the physical product, you still have access to it.

Not if your house burns down you don't. You could easily make back ups of your digital copies and keep them elsewhere. Something happens to your house, your physical copies are gone.

Safe deposit box at a bank...

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/07/18 9:01am

databank

avatar

sulls said:

databank said:

Back before the internet when I collected physical CD's (I had over 600 and an additional 200 cassettes from even before that time), I always saw bootlegs as some sort of intruders in my collection: since they weren't official they didn't really belong there, they were just some sort of a parallel collection. I would purchase them for the music, of course, but I didn't care having the real deal or a copy (when I would never tolerate a burned copy of an official record), because they weren't "real" anyway.

I can agree with that. The bulk of my collection is digital anyway, but once you lose it, unless you know of some place to get it back, it's gone. "Digital music disappears in the daytime". With the physical product, you still have access to it.

Seriously? eek eek eek

This argument has been out of date since, what, 2004?

You may be interested in this, it's a really interesting and very useful concept: https://www.techopedia.co...ackup-copy

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/07/18 9:08am

databank

avatar

sulls said:

TheDigitalGardener said:

Not if your house burns down you don't. You could easily make back ups of your digital copies and keep them elsewhere. Something happens to your house, your physical copies are gone.

Safe deposit box at a bank...

falloff

Are you telling me that you have 2 copies of each CD, and that you put one in a rented box at the bank? C'mon, no way lol

I actually have one back-up drive at home (see the article I've posted right above for what a back-up is) that I update more or less monthly, and another one that I update every year or so at a friend's home, just in case my house burned or was robbed.

It requires a bit of work, but it's much less work and much less money spent than buying each CD twice and taking one copy to the bank, and in the very worst case I lose only the most recent files nod

I could also use a cloud but with 4TB's of data (music, films and series altogether) it's a bit above my budget for the moment, but it's likely I'll end-up doing that on the long run.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/07/18 9:10am

TheBigBang

avatar

NAMOR3000 said:

Some of us don't know where 2 look online 4 the free downloads. And many "fams" don't wanna share where 2 find them. So people buy boots. Get over it!!!

LOL @ telling people to get over the fact that you can get something for free, but choose to pay for it. Nobody cares if you want to flush your money down the toilet. We're just saying that it's wack to sell them, and even more wack to buy them.

Because if you're really thirsty, and you need a drink, there's always free water somewhere. You just have to look for it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/07/18 9:25am

MD431Madcat

avatar

^^^ Thank you!

[Edited 1/7/18 9:30am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/07/18 9:30am

sulls

avatar

databank said:



sulls said:




TheDigitalGardener said:



Not if your house burns down you don't. You could easily make back ups of your digital copies and keep them elsewhere. Something happens to your house, your physical copies are gone.



Safe deposit box at a bank...



falloff


Are you telling me that you have 2 copies of each CD, and that you put one in a rented box at the bank? C'mon, no way lol


I actually have one back-up drive at home (see the article I've posted right above for what a back-up is) that I update more or less monthly, and another one that I update every year or so at a friend's home, just in case my house burned or was robbed.


It requires a bit of work, but it's much less work and much less money spent than buying each CD twice and taking one copy to the bank, and in the very worst case I lose only the most recent files nod


I could also use a cloud but with 4TB's of data (music, films and series altogether) it's a bit above my budget for the moment, but it's likely I'll end-up doing that on the long run.



The bank box was just for the sake of argument. Your have a digital copy on your hard drive but also keep a physical copy offsite. If one prefers to have the physical copy and keep it under lock and key, it doesn’t seem too out there a scenario. Protect your investment.
"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/07/18 9:40am

sulls

avatar

sulls said:

databank said:



sulls said:




TheDigitalGardener said:



Not if your house burns down you don't. You could easily make back ups of your digital copies and keep them elsewhere. Something happens to your house, your physical copies are gone.



Safe deposit box at a bank...



falloff


Are you telling me that you have 2 copies of each CD, and that you put one in a rented box at the bank? C'mon, no way lol


I actually have one back-up drive at home (see the article I've posted right above for what a back-up is) that I update more or less monthly, and another one that I update every year or so at a friend's home, just in case my house burned or was robbed.


It requires a bit of work, but it's much less work and much less money spent than buying each CD twice and taking one copy to the bank, and in the very worst case I lose only the most recent files nod


I could also use a cloud but with 4TB's of data (music, films and series altogether) it's a bit above my budget for the moment, but it's likely I'll end-up doing that on the long run.



The bank box was just for the sake of argument. Your have a digital copy on your hard drive but also keep a physical copy offsite. If one prefers to have the physical copy and keep it under lock and key, it doesn’t seem too out there a scenario. Protect your investment.



That said, I purchased a recently released boot and keep it in a dresser drawer next to my socks 😂
"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > selling Prince bootlegs is Wack!