independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 19th Nov 2017 9:46pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Chaos and Disorder?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/01/17 11:44am

LaurenceNoonan

Chaos and Disorder?

I’ve never been able to buy or listen to this album... Is it Good or is it not so good ?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/01/17 11:47am

Silvertongue7

Personally I love it, but I’m not sure it’s a widespread opinion...
Someone's in my body, someone's in my body...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/01/17 12:07pm

NorthC

If you like Prince's rock music, you may dig it. Although at the end, it also has a few dance tracks. Not a great album, but it has its moments. I Like It There became a live classic in later years, but other than that, most of the songs here were never heard of again. I know there's folks who don't like it when I call an album a "throwaway" wink but this one... But that doesn't have to be a bad thing.
Just out of curiosity, I did a little search on eBay and it can still be found for a reasonable price, in the €15-25 range.
[Edited 11/1/17 12:22pm]
[Edited 11/1/17 12:23pm]
Don't ever lose your dreams.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/01/17 12:26pm

RJOrion

Prince's worst album

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/01/17 1:33pm

lemoncrush19

avatar

well I love it ... the title track, I like it there, dinner with delores, the same december, zannalee, right the wrong, into the light, .... waaayyyyy more than just a few good moments imo ...

the only love there is is the love we make heart
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/01/17 1:43pm

Anthoknee

The title says alot. I recall buying this CD and being kinda ticked I actually payed money for it but listening all these years later, well, it's actually an intriguing listen. Now mind you, it isn't better than say, The Gold Experience or even Come. It has it's own "logic" but if you're expecting hooks or really solid songwriting, it will surely let you down. Yet if you are looking for jamming guitars and unusual arrangements (with a"closed-off" vibe) then yeah, it's a very cool record, in a nervous breakdown kind of way....

[Edited 11/1/17 13:45pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/01/17 2:04pm

itsjustaroundt
hecorner

LOVE this album....

the only track I don't love is I Rock, Therefore I AM

and Right the Wrong has some cheese...

But man.. Zannalee is incredible... so is I Like it There

it isnt a straight up pop album and not as easily digested as some others...but I love it...

Guitars for Days = Heaven

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/01/17 5:27pm

PeteSilas

LaurenceNoonan said:

I’ve never been able to buy or listen to this album... Is it Good or is it not so good ?

i've listened to it several times lately, having never really gotten into it before, it's actually pretty good. when it was released it was lambasted as a project done just to spite his company, it's actually pretty good.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/01/17 5:32pm

TrivialPursuit

RJOrion said:

Prince's worst album


Nope.

__________

To the OP, there are lots of ways to listen to it. It's a rocker, short, great songs.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/01/17 7:22pm

databank

avatar

LaurenceNoonan said:

I’ve never been able to buy or listen to this album... Is it Good or is it not so good ?

eek eek eek

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/01/17 11:37pm

LaurenceNoonan

NorthC said:

If you like Prince's rock music, you may dig it. Although at the end, it also has a few dance tracks. Not a great album, but it has its moments. I Like It There became a live classic in later years, but other than that, most of the songs here were never heard of again. I know there's folks who don't like it when I call an album a "throwaway" wink but this one... But that doesn't have to be a bad thing.
Just out of curiosity, I did a little search on eBay and it can still be found for a reasonable price, in the €15-25 range.
[Edited 11/1/17 12:22pm]
[Edited 11/1/17 12:23pm]


Thank You 😊
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/01/17 11:40pm

LaurenceNoonan

Silvertongue7 said:

Personally I love it, but I’m not sure it’s a widespread opinion...


Oh okay 😊
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/01/17 11:41pm

LaurenceNoonan

RJOrion said:

Prince's worst album


Oh :/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/01/17 11:43pm

LaurenceNoonan

lemoncrush19 said:

well I love it ... the title track, I like it there, dinner with delores, the same december, zannalee, right the wrong, into the light, .... waaayyyyy more than just a few good moments imo ...



Okay cool and I’ve heard “Dinner With Delores” is the most popular track... so I’m guessing it’s good right ?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/01/17 11:44pm

LaurenceNoonan

lemoncrush19 said:

well I love it ... the title track, I like it there, dinner with delores, the same december, zannalee, right the wrong, into the light, .... waaayyyyy more than just a few good moments imo ...



Okay cool and I’ve heard “Dinner With Delores” is the most popular track... so I’m guessing it’s good right ?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/01/17 11:48pm

LaurenceNoonan

itsjustaroundthecorner said:

LOVE this album....


the only track I don't love is I Rock, Therefore I AM


and Right the Wrong has some cheese...



But man.. Zannalee is incredible... so is I Like it There



it isnt a straight up pop album and not as easily digested as some others...but I love it...


Guitars for Days = Heaven



Okay awesome
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/01/17 11:50pm

LaurenceNoonan

PeteSilas said:



LaurenceNoonan said:


I’ve never been able to buy or listen to this album... Is it Good or is it not so good ?

i've listened to it several times lately, having never really gotten into it before, it's actually pretty good. when it was released it was lambasted as a project done just to spite his company, it's actually pretty good.



Oh okay, I’m guessing it didn’t have any commercial air play like “Come” ?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/01/17 11:52pm

LaurenceNoonan

databank said:



LaurenceNoonan said:


I’ve never been able to buy or listen to this album... Is it Good or is it not so good ?

eek eek eek



Yeah... :/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/02/17 12:43am

PeteSilas

LaurenceNoonan said:

PeteSilas said:

i've listened to it several times lately, having never really gotten into it before, it's actually pretty good. when it was released it was lambasted as a project done just to spite his company, it's actually pretty good.

Oh okay, I’m guessing it didn’t have any commercial air play like “Come” ?

come had commercial play? I wouldn't know, i never listened to much radio. I know that the single was dinner with delores which he played on letterman and a few other shows. everyone was turning against Prince at this time, it was at or near the nadir of his career.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/02/17 4:48am

jaawwnn

avatar

It's mostly good listening, except I Rock, Therefore I am which is one of the most incorrectly named songs in his entire discography. It's very much for fans only though.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 11/02/17 5:13am

TheFman

It's one of his top half albums, just.
It's worth alone for Had U, and Zanalee

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 11/02/17 5:20am

dodger

The last album of a golden era for me, with my favourite band of his. Apart from the raps in I Rock Therefore, I Am I still enjoy it today.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 11/02/17 5:30am

nosajd

avatar

Not his typical album, but a solid one none-the-less.

Some great gems on this album though, Into the Light, Same December, Zanalee are the highlights for me, but to each their own.

It's streaming on Tidal if you wanna listen to it.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 11/02/17 6:26am

bonatoc

avatar

So the NPG trio could play an on album this way, and also TGE, and Exodus.
The Dawn would have been an intoxicating 5 CD set.

If you put it in context, it's part of a masterpiece you have to make from
picking in all the flood of official tracks and unreleased gems of that era.

I love C&D. The title song was supposed to be on the same album as "Gold", and "Days Of Wild".
That's important stuff.

"Dinner" is perfection. "Into The Light/I Will" is the best dyptic he ever made.
Is it a serious album? Or just a throwaway? I've grown to tolerate "NPG Too Da Maximom",
just because yes, I wanna sing along "I Rock, Therefore I Am".

Like all biographic Prince, you have to let it in,
otherwise it may sound pointless.
But think about what he already has behind at this point of this career.
I love the rage of theses opening chords, "check! check!", it's hilarious,
it's like a Let's Go Crazy nod gone totally wrong.
And it's bleak at the same time.

Chaos and Disorder is his Black Album of the nineties,
in the terms of WTF attitude. "Anything goes, I'm the baddest".
All the songs are fantastic, even if for the first minutes
you feel like he's oversimplfying fifties rock ("Delirious", "Temptation", and even country, Prince at his most minnesotan).
But by the third verse, it's overdubs' orgy, on all songs.
By the end of it you go "what a good composition", even if you don't like it yet.
They play fiercely, Prince is incredible on the axe, nothing in common with his eighties style,
a totally different guitar player, with his own bizarro electro squeeshy octaves, that have become trademark effects.
I would say Prince is closer to Jerry Lee Lewis when it comes to rock. He bops.
It's all about instinctive yet controlled destruction, a scary precision amidst the apparrent carelessness.
Fucking same suite of chords we all know by heart, rock'n'roll again and again and again,
the NPG pwer trio sounding like some blacksmiths from Funk'n'Roll Hell forging shiny, chromy, dry beats.


Fantastic headphone experience.
Never mind the loudness wars, this one is justified.
You may have touch your EQ to your likings.

Africa, Cap'n Crunch, Norma Jean, Sex and Cheerio's
Play my record double speed, feel the climax fit 4 a king
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 11/02/17 6:27am

bonatoc

avatar

Silvertongue7 said:

Personally I love it, but I’m not sure it’s a widespread opinion...


I'm spreading as wide as I can.

Africa, Cap'n Crunch, Norma Jean, Sex and Cheerio's
Play my record double speed, feel the climax fit 4 a king
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 11/02/17 6:57am

2045RadicalMat
tZ

"And they spent their whole days trying to tell each other which album was great. ...

And it didn't even matter in the then because. ..

...you only know what you know.
...you only feel what your heart will show.
...you only love when your soul remembers. ..
we all come from the same December,
...and in the end that's where we go."




(*eye don't know how the thoughts, fun, indignation and sing writing from this album are missed by the so-called fan base )

8/10 as a Prince album. (*no ballads, not r&b; so don't expect that)


As anything else. ..really depends what u like. It's stuck with me like most of his work
"Damn Dolores, pick another subject, please...introduce the carpet to something other than your knees...."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 11/02/17 7:03am

dodger

bonatoc said:

So the NPG trio could play an on album this way, and also TGE, and Exodus.
The Dawn would have been an intoxicating 5 CD set.

If you put it in context, it's part of a masterpiece you have to make from
picking in all the flood of official tracks and unreleased gems of that era.

I love C&D. The title song was supposed to be on the same album as "Gold", and "Days Of Wild".
That's important stuff.

"Dinner" is perfection. "Into The Light/I Will" is the best dyptic he ever made.
Is it a serious album? Or just a throwaway? I've grown to tolerate "NPG Too Da Maximom",
just because yes, I wanna sing along "I Rock, Therefore I Am".

Like all biographic Prince, you have to let it in,
otherwise it may sound pointless.
But think about what he already has behind at this point of this career.
I love the rage of theses opening chords, "check! check!", it's hilarious,
it's like a Let's Go Crazy nod gone totally wrong.
And it's bleak at the same time.

Chaos and Disorder is his Black Album of the nineties,
in the terms of WTF attitude. "Anything goes, I'm the baddest".
All the songs are fantastic, even if for the first minutes
you feel like he's oversimplfying fifties rock ("Delirious", "Temptation", and even country, Prince at his most minnesotan).
But by the third verse, it's overdubs' orgy, on all songs.
By the end of it you go "what a good composition", even if you don't like it yet.
They play fiercely, Prince is incredible on the axe, nothing in common with his eighties style,
a totally different guitar player, with his own bizarro electro squeeshy octaves, that have become trademark effects.
I would say Prince is closer to Jerry Lee Lewis when it comes to rock. He bops.
It's all about instinctive yet controlled destruction, a scary precision amidst the apparrent carelessness.
Fucking same suite of chords we all know by heart, rock'n'roll again and again and again,
the NPG pwer trio sounding like some blacksmiths from Funk'n'Roll Hell forging shiny, chromy, dry beats.


Fantastic headphone experience.
Never mind the loudness wars, this one is justified.
You may have touch your EQ to your likings.

Bravo. Agree 99.9% (I still can't roll with 'NPG Too Da Maximom')

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 11/02/17 7:58am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

This little blurb in a magazine caught my interest as a young fella searching for a new sound... how did pop star Prince end up on such a list with albums like Kool Keith as Dr. Octagon and Spring Heel Jack? Had to get it. One listen to the album and I understood, joined NPG Music Club, started devouring the previous material and it is now one of my favorite full albums. Sure the raps are sorta unnecessary but the whole album bangs on. Still can listen in full to this day.

.

https://books.google.com/...mp;f=false

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 11/02/17 8:12am

NorthC

bonatoc said:



Silvertongue7 said:


Personally I love it, but I’m not sure it’s a widespread opinion...


I'm spreading as wide as I can.


You sure do, but The Black Album of the 90s is a little too much credit. One was an unreleased album that everybody wanted to hear and became legendary, the onther a released album that has been forgotten by everybody except us diehards and even we have divided opinions, as this thread shows.
Don't ever lose your dreams.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 11/02/17 8:56am

bonatoc

avatar

NorthC said:

bonatoc said:


I'm spreading as wide as I can.

You sure do, but The Black Album of the 90s is a little too much credit. One was an unreleased album that everybody wanted to hear and became legendary, the onther a released album that has been forgotten by everybody except us diehards and even we have divided opinions, as this thread shows.


Well, I spread so wide I am actually stretching.

I'm just saying reconsider this as a compilation of all his pissed-off songs of the era.
More than angry, they're menacing. Like Prince is going to be avanged or something. DOW is not a "nice" song.
But they're also joyous songs, because they show a Prince
that believes in music above all, despite the business failures.
He already sees a way out. Emancipation.

It's a humble album, it's just rock'n'roll but I like it, I like it, yes I do.
"I Will" is made of his most beautiful lyrics. Such a love statement.
It's Prince singing to himself, but also to anyone who struggles in life about anything.
Usually when the song is personal but universal enough to be interpreted as such,
it makes the album cut. Universal also meaning à la "Cream", in the case of IRTIA,
a song that can act as a personal coach.

It's a down-to-earth album.
As it's been well said above, people neglect the lyrics in this one,
and they're fantastic. In their indignation, their bravado,
SKipper's in the gutter and still humour and soul prevail.
Testicles, one, two.

We still can't tell if "Dinner with Delores" is about Madge or WB, which is testament
to a very fine, finally funny again, tongue-in-cheek, paranoid, hard rock lovers under-rated album.


No wonder the Manchester version of C&D with the 3rd Eye Girl totally kicked ass.
There aren't so many nights to get a song right.


[Edited 11/2/17 9:01am]

Africa, Cap'n Crunch, Norma Jean, Sex and Cheerio's
Play my record double speed, feel the climax fit 4 a king
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Chaos and Disorder?