independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 22nd Oct 2017 3:14am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > My Name is Prince video
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/30/17 12:18pm

SimonCharles

avatar

My Name is Prince video

Spoof or serious? What's the opinion here?

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/30/17 12:33pm

thedance

avatar

Ask Vanessa Bartholomew... smile


Personally I LOVE this musicvideo - the black gloves, w. gold symbols on, the chain hat, the smashed guitar, the dancing, jumping in water in the alley, the fire torches, in contrast to the water(?)......

Prince s amazing in the MNIP-video, and btw I love the Michael Jackson mocking in the lyrics as well.. cool

What is there "not to" love, My Name Is Prince, it's a Prince-classic imho....... (I no I love it).

Now, u silly ones go on and hate it.. haha... wink

It's a "divider" for sure, to me the song and video is edgy, right I said it, I have always loved this funky pop-track.


And it's b-side "2 Whom It May Concern".... there are no kings - only princes... excellent... as well.

I was in Spain when the prince Symbol album came out, I bought the Cd and Cassette tape there (the tape was to play on my WalkMan* during my trip there).. (*Corrected)

Memories..... the musicvideo I saw this, on Tv when I had arrived back to Denmark, I belive I taped it fra VH-1 - on VHS video tape, sure it were another time. No internet, and u had to buy physical products to listen to it...

Great song, on a great album is my opinion..... music

[Edited 9/30/17 12:36pm]

Prince 4Ever. heart
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/30/17 12:35pm

SimonCharles

avatar

Revisiting the video - it is hilarious (and I don't mean the torturous "link" with Kirstie Alley) - the posturing, the small crowd, the barrel fires, the trainers'n'hoods, the all holding instruments and walking whilst holding them, the repeat of the shot from Gett Off with Tommy Barbarella cradling a keyboard flanked by scantily clad women, the gym-workout nature of the dance moves and then the appearance of Mayte and her security guards.

It is a very funny video - I can't quite work out how much is intentional or not?

Looking at the three videos from this album, so far, I'm amazed at how cheap they look and how hurried it all appears. The set for Damn U and The Morning Papers is pretty much as is...the bongos in the background haven't been touched between shoots. The poor lip-synching match in the edit is, well, poor. The numbers of extras for him to "stage dive(?)" into is so small!

It is all weird, given the nature of the deal he'd signed (as recently discussed elsewhere) and the need for sales to be so high...

Anyway, My Name is Prince - parody or not?

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/30/17 12:37pm

SimonCharles

avatar

thedance said:

Ask Vanessa Bartholomew... smile


Personally I LOVE this musicvideo - the black gloves, w. gold symbols on, the chain hat, the smashed guitar, the dancing, jumping in water in the alley, the fire torches, in contrast to the water(?)......

Prince s amazing in the MNIP-video, and btw I love the Michael Jackson mocking in the lyrics as well.. cool

What is there "not to" love, My Name Is Prince, it's a Prince-classic imho....... (I no I love it).

Now, u silly ones go on and hate it.. haha... wink

It's a "divider" for sure, to me the song and video is edgy, right I said it, I have always loved this funky pop-track.


And it's b-side "2 Whom It May Concern".... there are no kings - only princes... excellent... as well.

I was in Spain when the prince Symbol album came out, I bought the Cd and Cassette tape there (the tape was to play on my DiscMan during my trip there)..

Memories..... the musicvideo I saw this, on Tv when I had arrived back to Denmark, I belive I taped it fra VH-1 - on VHS video tape, sure it were another time. No internet, and u had to buy physical products to listen to it...

Great song, on a great album is my opinion..... music

Don't misunderstand me, I think this is a stonking tune - clunky rap but a stonking tune - and comes from a genius album. This is all about just how far Prince's tongue was in his cheek when he made the video.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/30/17 12:41pm

thedance

avatar

^ well the video is fantastic, I love it... woot!


but your comment in post number 2, this proves... u simply can't please everyone at the same time, there will always be some complaing no matter what..



so it seems... cool

Whatever.... I no I like it.... wink

Prince 4Ever. heart
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/30/17 12:47pm

kingricefan

Personally, I think Prince was being a smart *ss and playing his joke on all of us because the year after this album was released is when he changed his name to the symbol. This album is underrated, too.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/30/17 1:09pm

SimonCharles

avatar

kingricefan said:

Personally, I think Prince was being a smart *ss and playing his joke on all of us because the year after this album was released is when he changed his name to the symbol. This album is underrated, too.

I think you're on to something with that - the whole masking of the face with the chains etc hints at things to come...

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/30/17 1:11pm

SimonCharles

avatar

thedance said:

^ well the video is fantastic, I love it... woot!


but your comment in post number 2, this proves... u simply can't please everyone at the same time, there will always be some complaing no matter what..



so it seems... cool

Whatever.... I no I like it.... wink

Absolutely true.

It is a great song and a briliiant album but the video is funny...both peculiar and ha ha.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/30/17 1:14pm

iveivan

SimonCharles said:



kingricefan said:


Personally, I think Prince was being a smart *ss and playing his joke on all of us because the year after this album was released is when he changed his name to the symbol. This album is underrated, too.



I think you're on to something with that - the whole masking of the face with the chains etc hints at things to come...


Absolutely.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/30/17 1:36pm

Dalia11

Great Song, Great Video!

My Favorite Verse from the song: "When You Hear My Music...U B Havin' Fun... That's When I Got U....That's When U Mine"...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/30/17 2:07pm

Dalia11

And I Also Like The Following Verses:


"I Know From Righteous I Know From Sin...I Got Two Sides And They Both Friends"...


" In The Beginning God Made The Sea, But On The 7th Day He Made Me"....


"I Ain't Saying I'm Better, No Better Than You U, But If You Want To Play With Me, You Better Learn The Rules"...

Side Bar: Geminis Are Very Strict About People Following Their Rules! And Capricorns Too!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/30/17 3:36pm

dodger

SimonCharles said:

Spoof or serious? What's the opinion here?



Personally I love everything about the Symbol album. It's what made me fan after D&P peaked my interest but I see your point about being unsure if he's taking the piss.
.
Of course he could be quite tongue in cheek at times but I'd sway towards him being serious. This was his gangster glam phase with the gun mic after all. Funky fresh for the 90's.
[Edited 9/30/17 15:39pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/30/17 5:05pm

SimonCharles

avatar

dodger said:

SimonCharles said:

Spoof or serious? What's the opinion here?

Personally I love everything about the Symbol album. It's what made me fan after D&P peaked my interest but I see your point about being unsure if he's taking the piss. . Of course he could be quite tongue in cheek at times but I'd sway towards him being serious. This was his gangster glam phase with the gun mic after all. Funky fresh for the 90's. [Edited 9/30/17 15:39pm]

The irony being there was nothing "fresh" about this sound at all...

It is still such a champion album, that's for sure...it stands at such a curious point in his career, too: the second album of the monstrous deal he'd signed and then the name change and the dispute, etc...such a curious moment in Prince's life. Brilliant album.

Words are like shoes...
Try my shoes on...
https://simoncwilliamsblo...press.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/30/17 9:59pm

Dalia11

Serious! He Was A Gemini, With Scorpio Rising!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/01/17 1:51am

Astasheiks

avatar

thedance said:

Ask Vanessa Bartholomew... smile


Personally I LOVE this musicvideo - the black gloves, w. gold symbols on, the chain hat, the smashed guitar, the dancing, jumping in water in the alley, the fire torches, in contrast to the water(?)......

Prince s amazing in the MNIP-video, and btw I love the Michael Jackson mocking in the lyrics as well.. cool

What is there "not to" love, My Name Is Prince, it's a Prince-classic imho....... (I no I love it).

Now, u silly ones go on and hate it.. haha... wink

It's a "divider" for sure, to me the song and video is edgy, right I said it, I have always loved this funky pop-track.


And it's b-side "2 Whom It May Concern".... there are no kings - only princes... excellent... as well.

I was in Spain when the prince Symbol album came out, I bought the Cd and Cassette tape there (the tape was to play on my WalkMan* during my trip there).. (*Corrected)

Memories..... the musicvideo I saw this, on Tv when I had arrived back to Denmark, I belive I taped it fra VH-1 - on VHS video tape, sure it were another time. No internet, and u had to buy physical products to listen to it...

Great song, on a great album is my opinion..... music

[Edited 9/30/17 12:36pm]

Sure nough! Totally agree! razz biggrin

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/01/17 7:24am

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

LMAO! He was just being silly with the video but the song itself, oh he meant it and I loved him even more for it.

My name is Prince and I am funky
When it comes to funk I am a junky
I know from righteous I know from sin
I got to sides and they both friends
Don't try to clock 'em, they're much too fast
If you try to stop 'em, they kick that ass
Without a pistol, without a gun
When you hear my music you'll be havin' fun
That's when I got ya that's when you mine
To tell the truth, tell me what's my line?

"Style is loving yourself 'til everyone else does too."
You certainly proved that Prince, beyond any doubt.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/01/17 8:07am

purplerabbitho
le

I remember reading that P had originally intended the song to be funny but got carried away with making it serious later on. I can't help but think that he is at least being sarcastic. Think about it--he covers his face throughout the video and the album has a love symbol on its cover instead of his name. Maybe this was Prince's last hurrah as Prince. Maybe he was satirizing himself to some degree while simultaneously reminding people that he was a musical badass before putting this "Prince" to rest? the ambivalent feelings one has about oneself..

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/01/17 8:26am

scorp84

At the time, I didn't think much of it. It sounded alot like the music of its time, it was uptempo, so it was alright with me. The much discussed "MJ Diss" slid right by my ears, mainly because a lot of major stars were calling out to MJ during that time, subliminally and in the media, but MJ never answered back, effectively taking the air out of it all lol. The visuals, as far as his appearance, of course was unique. But, everything else surrounding him was pretty much on par with the other videos I saw on BET. Years later, i'm thinking the man was going through a bit of an "identity crisis" lol. It's not the video/track I seek out as much as the others, but if it's on, i'll listen or watch.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/01/17 11:32am

sonshine

avatar

Astasheiks said:



thedance said:


Ask Vanessa Bartholomew... smile


Personally I LOVE this musicvideo - the black gloves, w. gold symbols on, the chain hat, the smashed guitar, the dancing, jumping in water in the alley, the fire torches, in contrast to the water(?).....

Prince s amazing in the MNIP-video, and btw I love the Michael Jackson mocking in the lyrics as well.. cool

What is there "not to" love, My Name Is Prince, it's a Prince-classic imho..... (I no I love it).

Now, u silly ones go on and hate it.. haha... wink

It's a "divider" for sure, to me the song and video is edgy, right I said it, I have always loved this funky pop-track.


And it's b-side "2 Whom It May Concern".... there are no kings - only princes... excellent... as well.

I was in Spain when the prince Symbol album came out, I bought the Cd and Cassette tape there (the tape was to play on my WalkMan* during my trip there).. (*Corrected)

Memories..... the musicvideo I saw this, on Tv when I had arrived back to Denmark, I belive I taped it fra VH-1 - on VHS video tape, sure it were another time. No internet, and u had to buy physical products to listen to it...

Great song, on a great album is my opinion..... music


[Edited 9/30/17 12:36pm]




Sure nough! Totally agree! razz biggrin



+1 A classic imo 💜 In fact im going to go and listen to it right now cuz it's a song (and album) that never fails to lift my mood smile
Have you had your plus sign (+) today?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 10/01/17 7:57pm

laurarichardso
n

SimonCharles said:

Revisiting the video - it is hilarious (and I don't mean the torturous "link" with Kirstie Alley) - the posturing, the small crowd, the barrel fires, the trainers'n'hoods, the all holding instruments and walking whilst holding them, the repeat of the shot from Gett Off with Tommy Barbarella cradling a keyboard flanked by scantily clad women, the gym-workout nature of the dance moves and then the appearance of Mayte and her security guards.



It is a very funny video - I can't quite work out how much is intentional or not?



Looking at the three videos from this album, so far, I'm amazed at how cheap they look and how hurried it all appears. The set for Damn U and The Morning Papers is pretty much as is...the bongos in the background haven't been touched between shoots. The poor lip-synching match in the edit is, well, poor. The numbers of extras for him to "stage dive(?)" into is so small!



It is all weird, given the nature of the deal he'd signed (as recently discussed elsewhere) and the need for sales to be so high...



Anyway, My Name is Prince - parody or not?


He had been using the same sets since Dirty Mind. The lable makes the artist pay for the videos so Prince made cheap videos although the for him these are actually big budget and those dance moves were typical for the nineties if anything people who go to gyms stole those moves from the 90s.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/02/17 2:44am

Prevote

Funny to see that Sonny T is holding the Cloud Bass that Andre Cymone held in the I wanna Be Your Lover video (the band version).

Doing new stuff with old stuff like sampling the same song in the intro along with controversy and partyup..

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > My Name is Prince video