independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 11th Dec 2018 8:32am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Guns N' Roses pay tribute to Prince
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/01/17 10:34am

sonicfreak

avatar

Guns N' Roses pay tribute to Prince

I went to the Guns N' Roses concert at US Bank Stadium Sunday night and as soon as I walked in I realized that all the pre show music was Prince! At first it was a variety of things like All The Critics Love U in New York and Guitar. Later between bands it was mostly Purple Rain stuff but it was all Prince, all night.

As I was sitting in my seat waiting for the show I was scrolling through twitter and Paisley Park had tweeted out a photo of bass player Duff McKagan who had visited and taken a VIP tour earlier that day (on a side note I saw Blondie a week and a half ago and Debbie Harry mentioned that they had all been to Paisley Park the day before so it seems to be a place touring musicians seek out these days!0

20507675_1365441910236888_2014415115464956420_o.jpg?oh=4678d70818e83f7b3ba8a88d40d52c4d&oe=59F1FE4F

Also, all night long Duff played a white guitar with the Prince symbol on it!!

f427161684467a160625c9323a99243b

[Edited 8/1/17 12:25pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/01/17 10:56am

Astasheiks

avatar

Very nice Tribute to Prince sound like. You say pre show and even between bands they played Prince music? How many bands performed before Guns n Roses?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/01/17 12:27pm

sonicfreak

avatar

Astasheiks said:

Very nice Tribute to Prince sound like. You say pre show and even between bands they played Prince music? How many bands performed before Guns n Roses?

Just one other band. The Deftones. Doors opened two hours before they played and then there was a 30-45 minute break between them and Guns N' Roses. As far as I know it was all Prince music played, at least from the time I got there.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/01/17 1:53pm

purplefam99

so so so sweet.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/01/17 2:13pm

TrivialPursuit

Duff has been a Prince fan for a very long time. That prince has been on his guitar since before Prince died if memory serves. He covered "Bambi" in the early aughts. He's talked a lot about Prince before & after his death. He'll always be the coolest MFer in GnR.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/01/17 2:46pm

Astasheiks

avatar

yeahthat

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/01/17 2:47pm

Astasheiks

avatar

sonicfreak said:

I went to the Guns N' Roses concert at US Bank Stadium Sunday night and as soon as I walked in I realized that all the pre show music was Prince! At first it was a variety of things like All The Critics Love U in New York and Guitar. Later between bands it was mostly Purple Rain stuff but it was all Prince, all night.

As I was sitting in my seat waiting for the show I was scrolling through twitter and Paisley Park had tweeted out a photo of bass player Duff McKagan who had visited and taken a VIP tour earlier that day (on a side note I saw Blondie a week and a half ago and Debbie Harry mentioned that they had all been to Paisley Park the day before so it seems to be a place touring musicians seek out these days!0

20507675_1365441910236888_2014415115464956420_o.jpg?oh=4678d70818e83f7b3ba8a88d40d52c4d&oe=59F1FE4F

Also, all night long Duff played a white guitar with the Prince symbol on it!!

f427161684467a160625c9323a99243b

[Edited 8/1/17 12:25pm]

That bottom photo looks like he's sending a shout out to P in Heaven. eye yes wildsign

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/01/17 2:49pm

mbdtyler

TrivialPursuit said:

Duff has been a Prince fan for a very long time. That prince has been on his guitar since before Prince died if memory serves. He covered "Bambi" in the early aughts. He's talked a lot about Prince before & after his death. He'll always be the coolest MFer in GnR.

nod Of the original lineup, he seems like the nicest dude. I always thought it was cool that he had a background in punk rock before GNR, but his love for Prince makes him even cooler

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/01/17 4:40pm

PeteSilas

TrivialPursuit said:

Duff has been a Prince fan for a very long time. That prince has been on his guitar since before Prince died if memory serves. He covered "Bambi" in the early aughts. He's talked a lot about Prince before & after his death. He'll always be the coolest MFer in GnR.

ya, he writes for a local paper here in seattle, he sounds like a very grounded guy with lots of thoughtful things to say. Kind of unusual for rock musicians. He's written some good stuff about Prince too explaining why he was attracted to his music.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/01/17 4:43pm

coldasice

TrivialPursuit said:[quote]

Duff has been a Prince fan for a very long time. That prince has been on his guitar since before Prince died if memory serves. He covered "Bambi" in the early aughts. He's talked a lot about Prince before & after his death. He'll always be the coolest MFer in GnR.

[/quote
Ok...if you're just now finding out about him loving Prince. You probably don't know he covered Bambi it's the B-Side to Believe in me. Check it out. He also tried playing as much of the music on his first album as possible because he wanted to be like Prince.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/01/17 5:30pm

TrivialPursuit

coldasice said:


Ok...if you're just now finding out about him loving Prince. You probably don't know he covered Bambi it's the B-Side to Believe in me. Check it out. He also tried playing as much of the music on his first album as possible because he wanted to be like Prince.


I'm not just finding out. I mentioned "Bambi", too.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/01/17 6:33pm

UncleJam

avatar

PeteSilas said:

TrivialPursuit said:

Duff has been a Prince fan for a very long time. That prince has been on his guitar since before Prince died if memory serves. He covered "Bambi" in the early aughts. He's talked a lot about Prince before & after his death. He'll always be the coolest MFer in GnR.

ya, he writes for a local paper here in seattle, he sounds like a very grounded guy with lots of thoughtful things to say. Kind of unusual for rock musicians. He's written some good stuff about Prince too explaining why he was attracted to his music.

I read an article he wrote a few years back, all about how the 1999 album changed his life. I was like, "You too?!?!?" Cool ass cat....

Make it so, Number One...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Guns N' Roses pay tribute to Prince