independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 26th Mar 2017 6:06am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Mayte's Book [The Official Thread] - All Discussion Here - Part 2
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 27 123456789>Last »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/19/17 6:21pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Mayte's Book [The Official Thread] - All Discussion Here - Part 2

Hey all!


[First thread - http://prince.org/msg/7/439882 got wayyyyyy too long, please continue posting here - luv4u]


This is the official thread regarding discussing Mayte's book.


Some of you have asked why older threads were removed.

The reason is that we were asked by Mayte's publishers to not have discussions regarding the leaked manuscript as this was not representative of the final book. We were attempting to get a statement from them.



However, as of today - promotional copies have been sent to the media and reviewers, and the marketing campaign by the publishing company has begun, so we can begin discussion officially without risking upsetting anyone.


Please keep discussion civil - flaming will not be tolerated.


As the book will inevitably discuss drug references, Ben and the entire staff team have decided that we are sunsetting the "no drugs" rule that we originally intended to follow until April 21st. As long as this conversation is dealt with in a civil manner. Basically, if we can all agree to be adults here, then everything will be OK. We mods have a difficult enough job and we don't need things descending into anarchy.


P.S - The reason this thread is not in Associated Artists is because the book is directly about her life with Prince, and even if we put the thread over there we'd end up with a million new topics about it here.

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/19/17 6:33pm

ladygirl99

avatar

Looks like this thread is still on fire and the book is still not released yet. lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/19/17 6:34pm

ladygirl99

avatar

Wait a second on the last thread the word is Mayte might pulled the book? Is that possible with the book printed? Sounds like Black Album part 2.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/19/17 6:35pm

joytotheworld

I hope not. Was looking forward to it and appears to be selling well.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/19/17 6:37pm

morningsong

avatar

Well that explains why I couldn't post. Beating the crap out of my poor tablet for nothing.




She better not pull that book NOW.
“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/19/17 6:40pm

joytotheworld

morningsong said:

Well that explains why I couldn't post. Beating the crap out of my poor tablet for nothing. She better not pull that book NOW.

Seriously!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/19/17 6:42pm

Lovejunky

avatar

ladygirl99 said:

Looks like this thread is still on fire and the book is still not released yet. lol

Interesting to note that the People who have actually read this book from cover to cover have an entirely different opinion than those who have read excerpts or are specualting on the contents becasue of the Stupid Tabloids..

Here two very Positive reviews..

For those who look for their Posativity Pills daily...

http://www.goodreads.com/...-beautiful

For the others....

DONT READ:: ignore the link...

it might just take you right out of your comfort zone and make you feel happy...

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/19/17 6:48pm

ladygirl99

avatar

Lovejunky said:

ladygirl99 said:

Looks like this thread is still on fire and the book is still not released yet. lol

Interesting to note that the People who have actually read this book from cover to cover have an entirely different opinion than those who have read excerpts or are specualting on the contents becasue of the Stupid Tabloids..

Here two very Positive reviews..

For those who look for their Posativity Pills daily...

http://www.goodreads.com/...-beautiful

For the others....

DONT READ:: ignore the link...

it might just take you right out of your comfort zone and make you feel happy...

Thanks Lovejunky. I will check it out. I read some of the reviews and one reviewer said it was a great book and Mayte kept some details to herself. And her friend Dave said on that radio show there were lot of things she kept out of the book.

So in other words she is still respecting his privacy. I think her book is going to be as non-controversal as Dez and Sheila E books once people gives a chance to read it.

Yeah I blame People article. mad

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/19/17 6:50pm

kingricefan

[Best to contact a moderator, what you posted will just create a mess with that person here snip, thanks - luv4u]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/19/17 6:51pm

Menes

luv4u said:

Hey all!


[First thread - http://prince.org/msg/7/439882 got wayyyyyy too long, please continue posting here - luv4u]


This is the official thread regarding discussing Mayte's book.


Some of you have asked why older threads were removed.

The reason is that we were asked by Mayte's publishers to not have discussions regarding the leaked manuscript as this was not representative of the final book. We were attempting to get a statement from them.



However, as of today - promotional copies have been sent to the media and reviewers, and the marketing campaign by the publishing company has begun, so we can begin discussion officially without risking upsetting anyone.


Please keep discussion civil - flaming will not be tolerated.


As the book will inevitably discuss drug references, Ben and the entire staff team have decided that we are sunsetting the "no drugs" rule that we originally intended to follow until April 21st. As long as this conversation is dealt with in a civil manner. Basically, if we can all agree to be adults here, then everything will be OK. We mods have a difficult enough job and we don't need things descending into anarchy.


P.S - The reason this thread is not in Associated Artists is because the book is directly about her life with Prince, and even if we put the thread over there we'd end up with a million new topics about it here.


[Move on .......... luv4u]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/19/17 6:54pm

206Michelle

I want to make a point that I don't recall being in the previous thread. The only detailed information that we know about Amiir is what Erlene and Arlene Mojica, the nannies, disclosed to the tabloid the News of the World, back on March 9, 1997. The name of the article is "Prince: Bizarre truth behind death of star's baby" by Stuart White I know that the article is on this site somewhere. (I'm not able to search the site right now...I think my browser is having issues.)

Source: http://www.lipstickalley....Now/page13.

--

Prince chose to say hardly anything about the baby's death to the media. That was his choice. Mayte is choosing to disclose more. Again, it's her choice. I will reserve judgement about how she does so as well as the rest of her book until I read it. I didn't have an issue with anything in the People excerpt that she wrote, although the fact that she didn't know about the whereabouts of the ashes is quite odd. Perhaps there is more to the story in the book. But, since it was she and Prince's child, I feel like with her book she is providing her story about Amiir's short life so that there is something else besides just the News of the World article.

--

All of that said, I don't expect her book or subsequent books to change much about his legacy. We all know he was a complex individual. He was uniquely talented, and one of the greatest musicians to ever live. He was a humanitarian. He was also flawed, controlling, and could be an ass. But he lived his life a heck of a lot more scandal-free than contemporaries like Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson. Most of his scandal was related to his music and the boundaries that he pushed, especially with regard to sexuality, e.g. the lyrics of Darling Nikki. Overall, his legacy is highly respected, and I don't expect that to change much in any direction due to Mayte's book.



Don't die without knowing the cross.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/19/17 7:15pm

Lovejunky

avatar

206Michelle said:

I want to make a point that I don't recall being in the previous thread. The only detailed information that we know about Amiir is what Erlene and Arlene Mojica, the nannies, disclosed to the tabloid the News of the World, back on March 9, 1997. The name of the article is "Prince: Bizarre truth behind death of star's baby" by Stuart White I know that the article is on this site somewhere. (I'm not able to search the site right now...I think my browser is having issues.)

Source: http://www.lipstickalley....Now/page13.

--

Prince chose to say hardly anything about the baby's death to the media. That was his choice. Mayte is choosing to disclose more. Again, it's her choice. I will reserve judgement about how she does so as well as the rest of her book until I read it. I didn't have an issue with anything in the People excerpt that she wrote, although the fact that she didn't know about the whereabouts of the ashes is quite odd. Perhaps there is more to the story in the book. But, since it was she and Prince's child, I feel like with her book she is providing her story about Amiir's short life so that there is something else besides just the News of the World article.

--

All of that said, I don't expect her book or subsequent books to change much about his legacy. We all know he was a complex individual. He was uniquely talented, and one of the greatest musicians to ever live. He was a humanitarian. He was also flawed, controlling, and could be an ass. But he lived his life a heck of a lot more scandal-free than contemporaries like Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson. Most of his scandal was related to his music and the boundaries that he pushed, especially with regard to sexuality, e.g. the lyrics of Darling Nikki. Overall, his legacy is highly respected, and I don't expect that to change much in any direction due to Mayte's book.



Yep...that article is here, but Im not going to pull it up.

I was disgusted by it to be honest...there is some reference to the fact that The Sisters were uncomfrotable about Princes decision to turn off AHmirs life support and that there was some kind of routine Homicide investigation !!!!!!!

Anyone on their right mind would understand that to deny Life Support for a child who has suffered so much, is an act of compassion and Mercy....

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/19/17 7:16pm

questionofu

avatar

206Michelle said:

I want to make a point that I don't recall being in the previous thread. The only detailed information that we know about Amiir is what Erlene and Arlene Mojica, the nannies, disclosed to the tabloid the News of the World, back on March 9, 1997. The name of the article is "Prince: Bizarre truth behind death of star's baby" by Stuart White I know that the article is on this site somewhere. (I'm not able to search the site right now...I think my browser is having issues.)

Source: http://www.lipstickalley....Now/page13.

--

Prince chose to say hardly anything about the baby's death to the media. That was his choice. Mayte is choosing to disclose more. Again, it's her choice. I will reserve judgement about how she does so as well as the rest of her book until I read it. I didn't have an issue with anything in the People excerpt that she wrote, although the fact that she didn't know about the whereabouts of the ashes is quite odd. Perhaps there is more to the story in the book. But, since it was she and Prince's child, I feel like with her book she is providing her story about Amiir's short life so that there is something else besides just the News of the World article.

--

All of that said, I don't expect her book or subsequent books to change much about his legacy. We all know he was a complex individual. He was uniquely talented, and one of the greatest musicians to ever live. He was a humanitarian. He was also flawed, controlling, and could be an ass. But he lived his life a heck of a lot more scandal-free than contemporaries like Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson. Most of his scandal was related to his music and the boundaries that he pushed, especially with regard to sexuality, e.g. the lyrics of Darling Nikki. Overall, his legacy is highly respected, and I don't expect that to change much in any direction due to Mayte's book.



I like your post, good thoughts. I agree, the book will not change his legacy. Rest in Peace.

Prince.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/19/17 7:35pm

ladygirl99

avatar

206Michelle said:

I want to make a point that I don't recall being in the previous thread. The only detailed information that we know about Amiir is what Erlene and Arlene Mojica, the nannies, disclosed to the tabloid the News of the World, back on March 9, 1997. The name of the article is "Prince: Bizarre truth behind death of star's baby" by Stuart White I know that the article is on this site somewhere. (I'm not able to search the site right now...I think my browser is having issues.)

Source: http://www.lipstickalley....Now/page13.

--

Prince chose to say hardly anything about the baby's death to the media. That was his choice. Mayte is choosing to disclose more. Again, it's her choice. I will reserve judgement about how she does so as well as the rest of her book until I read it. I didn't have an issue with anything in the People excerpt that she wrote, although the fact that she didn't know about the whereabouts of the ashes is quite odd. Perhaps there is more to the story in the book. But, since it was she and Prince's child, I feel like with her book she is providing her story about Amiir's short life so that there is something else besides just the News of the World article.

--

All of that said, I don't expect her book or subsequent books to change much about his legacy. We all know he was a complex individual. He was uniquely talented, and one of the greatest musicians to ever live. He was a humanitarian. He was also flawed, controlling, and could be an ass. But he lived his life a heck of a lot more scandal-free than contemporaries like Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson. Most of his scandal was related to his music and the boundaries that he pushed, especially with regard to sexuality, e.g. the lyrics of Darling Nikki. Overall, his legacy is highly respected, and I don't expect that to change much in any direction due to Mayte's book.



I will be shock too if it does. A lot of dead celebrities had tell-all books I was thinking about Elvis and Tupac and Kurt Cobain and Whitney Houston their life and the way they died is very controversal. You are right some of them have way more scandals than Prince. If Michael Jackson who have wayyyyyy more scandals and even Elvis remains top selling artists (and fuck they are selling way more than today's artists) I think Prince will be okay. I treated Prince like he is a flaw human but nevertheless I am going to do my part to help keep his legacy going. And I am going to continue to support mainly the ones who worked with him like Mayte, and his other associates because they knew him best and also it gives me more insight about him not only as a musician but as an organism.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/19/17 7:37pm

NotACleverName

avatar

Nisibee (hope I got your org name correct..if not, my apologies) originally posted this in the first thread in Reply #1184. Incredibly informative and some, who are not sure of Mayte's motives re the book, her auction of Prince items and/or are not certain of other misnomers (annulment (fact or fiction)), etc., would do themselves a HUGE favor by listening to this!

The Prince Podcast: Mayte People Magazine Article

We're joined by Dave Buchansky close friend of Mayte to discus the recent People magazine article, featuring excerpts from the upcoming book The Most Beautiful: My Life with Prince. We talk about some of the split opinions some fans have about the book.

http://podcastjuice.net/t...-article/
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence......." ~ DESIDERATA ~ Max Ehrmann
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/19/17 8:20pm

bashraka

NotACleverName said:

Nisibee (hope I got your org name correct..if not, my apologies) originally posted this in the first thread in Reply #1184. Incredibly informative and some, who are not sure of Mayte's motives re the book, her auction of Prince items and/or are not certain of other misnomers (annulment (fact or fiction)), etc., would do themselves a HUGE favor by listening to this! The Prince Podcast: Mayte People Magazine Article We're joined by Dave Buchansky close friend of Mayte to discus the recent People magazine article, featuring excerpts from the upcoming book The Most Beautiful: My Life with Prince. We talk about some of the split opinions some fans have about the book. http://podcastjuice.net/t...-article/

I understand Dave wanting to be protective of Mayte from opinions that are menacing and downright threatening but he has to understand that just as Mayte has the right to put out her book detailing her life with Prince, people also have the right to be suspicious of the veracity of hre claims, skeptical of the timing of the release of the booke and her motives for publishing this book. And he sounded silly saying that Mayte's behavior on Hollywood Exes should be excused because reality shows are scripted. THAT'S A DAMN COP OUT! Can't have it both ways! SHE chose to be on Hollywood Exes, SHE chose to exploit her life for the cameras for fame, SHE chose to have her actions judged by the viewing public. It seems like some people want to treat Mayte like a baby and shield her from every dissenting opinion. Lastly, a grown man arguing with Apollonia about Apollonia possible "shading" Mayte on Facebook is a sucker move. If Apollonia has a problem with Mayte, let Mayte handle it. Imagine Drake dissing Remy Ma in defense of Nicki Minaj-Drake would look just as lame getting involved in a dispute between 2 women. I'm not buying Mayte's book because I'm not interested in her life story and the hype around this book is too creepy to actually commit to buying. But I'm interested in seeing how well or how bad Mayte answer pointed criticisms about her book on the promotional circuit.

3121 #1 THIS YEAR
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/19/17 8:35pm

PennyPurple

avatar

I certainly hope that Mayte does NOT pull this book. She has the right to tell her story and she shouldn't be silenced.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/19/17 8:36pm

PennyPurple

avatar

dupe

[Edited 3/19/17 20:36pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/19/17 8:46pm

sonshine

avatar

Lovejunky said:

ladygirl99 said:

Looks like this thread is still on fire and the book is still not released yet. lol

Interesting to note that the People who have actually read this book from cover to cover have an entirely different opinion than those who have read excerpts or are specualting on the contents becasue of the Stupid Tabloids..

Here two very Positive reviews..

For those who look for their Posativity Pills daily...

http://www.goodreads.com/...-beautiful

For the others....

DONT READ:: ignore the link...

it might just take you right out of your comfort zone and make you feel happy...

This is good, positive news. Yay!

Pull your cellphone out and call your next of kin, it's about to get funky in here!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/19/17 9:46pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

PurpleYoda, please explain why you think Mayte might pull the book.

yoda yoda

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/19/17 9:50pm

cindyt

maybe a lawyer told her to...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/19/17 10:28pm

SoulAlive

It would be pointless to pull the book,because so much of its contents have already been revealed.There's no turning back now.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/19/17 10:32pm

rasberrylips

SoulAlive said:

It would be pointless to pull the book,because so much of its contents have already been revealed.There's no turning back now.

Can MG pull the book and release it at another time?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/19/17 10:52pm

dance4me3121

avatar

I did a google search and can't find anything about mayte pulling or cancelling the book
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/19/17 10:56pm

rogifan

avatar

Why is it so important to people that this book come out? Mayte had plenty of opportunities to tell her story when Prince was alive. If it's so important for her story to be told why did she wait until Prince was on the other side to release it?
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/19/17 11:10pm

morningsong

avatar

dance4me3121 said:

I did a google search and can't find anything about mayte pulling or cancelling the book



I didn't find anything either. Somebody just said it and never came back. shrug

Seems weird to get this far and then pull it.
“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/19/17 11:30pm

moonsister

rogifan said:

Why is it so important to people that this book come out? Mayte had plenty of opportunities to tell her story when Prince was alive. If it's so important for her story to be told why did she wait until Prince was on the other side to release it?

It's going to sell better now. Adults need money to live, why is this fact of life seen as vulgar, when it's simply a fact? She is doing the smart thing monetarily, like Prince tried to do, as well AS THE REST OF US.
[Edited 3/19/17 23:34pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/19/17 11:33pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

rogifan said:

Why is it so important to people that this book come out? Mayte had plenty of opportunities to tell her story when Prince was alive. If it's so important for her story to be told why did she wait until Prince was on the other side to release it?

The thing is that it seems that a lot of the story was already known.

Now that I'm free I let the wind blow me...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/19/17 11:41pm

CatB

CatB said:

Menes said:

1.Of course he wasn't forced to do anything.

2. Her mother controlled her daughter's career ( who was a minor) at the inception of meeting Prince. Everything started there, to include, exactly how and why she met him. If that step cant be acknowledged, so be it. She didn't meet Prince by happen stance. That was a controlled event.

3. "Someone once said life is what happens when you plan it"? They didn't add the part that life can be planned out for you all the same ? People are groomed for certain things all day long. Look around . It happens all the time.

4. Yes, he gave her a career that was more profitable, but she had a "career" before she met Prince. What she didn't have was the cerebral wherewithal or connection to get to Prince who could further her career. Her mother was the conduit for the expedition. But lets move on ....What hapened with you and Prince? Any hanky panky?


Okay, thanks for elaborating.

Yes I had some fun with him. However, I merely brought up how we met to point out that you cannot plan what's gonna happen, when or how.

Back to Mayte and her book.

Menes said:

Please don't write a book. biggrin


Actually I have been writing about it.


[Edited 3/19/17 23:42pm]

[Edited 3/19/17 23:43pm]

"Time is space spent with U"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/20/17 12:00am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

CatB said:

CatB said:

Menes said:

Please don't write a book. biggrin


Actually I have been writing about it.


[Edited 3/19/17 23:42pm]

[Edited 3/19/17 23:43pm]

Uh, oh. Here, we go. lol

Now that I'm free I let the wind blow me...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 27 123456789>Last »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Mayte's Book [The Official Thread] - All Discussion Here - Part 2