independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 16th Nov 2018 2:32pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince in Hawaii Gift Box 2004
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/08/16 11:51pm

aiden

avatar

Prince in Hawaii Gift Box 2004

-Prince in Hawaii Hardcover 142 page book sealed
-Hawaii 2003 tourbook
- Limited edition Hawaii tour t-shirt Large size with Hawaiian Islands design and symbol on back of shirt
- Play in the Sunshine hand-dipped, custom-blended incense
- Controversy Live from Hawaii CD single sealed
- NPG Child poster
-Purple flower petals
All of this is shipped in a gorgeous custom-made royal purple gift/hat box.
Available in the past through the NPG Music Club $140 ($100 without shipping)


Does anybody know how many of these were made?
"Still Crazy 4 Coco Rock"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/09/16 1:04am

suomynona

avatar

Never ordered one, because all I wanted out of that package was the CD. Figured he would eventually release just the CD -- or at least a 256/320/flac digital copy later on iTunes, Tidal. But that never happened. Instead, we get a Purple Rain mug?

So now I'm stuck with never having heard it. (As were many fans due to the packaging/price.)

I appreciated how he wanted to sell his art to fans directly -- but sometimes it felt (at least to me) that he dropped the ball on that front. He really could have made a killing if he would have just stuck to the music part. Don't need t-shirts, perfume, etc. Just make the music available and take all of my money...

I remember that in the 90s. Just being excited by the "Free The Music" message. Wanting to fight for him so he could get out of that contract and release as much music as he wanted. But that never seemed to happen.

For those older fans like myself -- pre-internet fans gave bootleggers SOOOOOO much money just so they could hear as much music as possible. Paying at least twice what regular CDs were costing -- and for *mostly* poor quality audio. Still can't wrap my head around why he didn't take advantage of his fans by releasing as much as possible from the vault. I mean, he did with concert ticket prices...

That's what makes this all so bittersweet. With no will, we're likely to finally be able to buy as much as we want to (eventually) -- but he won't see any of that money. Won't be able to help the causes that meant so much to him.

So messed up.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/09/16 10:14am

slvrhrt7

avatar

We wwre at Pailsey last Sep for the HnR relase party, they were selling them for $75.

"May U live 2 C the Dawn"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/09/16 10:34am

txladykat

avatar

But that hat box is soo pretty smile

I have 2 of them.....on display in my music room

Weren't they giving them out to fans at PP right after his passing?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/09/16 3:44pm

aiden

avatar

I've managed to find one... Just really curious as to how many were produced.. I think it's a really nice set smile
"Still Crazy 4 Coco Rock"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/09/16 5:18pm

DianaNY

I wanted to buy one.
I found one on Amazon for $500. The seller listed that they have only 1 in stock. Then they changed the price to $800 and it said that they have more than 10 in stock. I messaged the seller yesterday asking where did they get so many of these boxes. The reply I got was very rude. Now I see they changed to price to $1600. Are these fakes?
Does anyone know where I can get a real one?
[Edited 5/9/16 17:18pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/10/16 12:23am

aiden

avatar

Wow just saw that one on Amazon.. Crazy price!
I think one thing that will drive the price up is the hardback book which has become rare..
"Still Crazy 4 Coco Rock"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/10/16 4:36am

FUNKYNESS

I bought everything Prince I could get but I remember thinking what a pile of shit when this first came out. Nothing has changed my opinion.

Save America - Stop Illegal Immigration. God bless America. PEACE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/10/16 4:44am

PurpleMusic07

This sounds like what they were giving fans at Paisley right after Prince died, maybe with a few items replaced with other stuff.
"Where you are now is in a place that does not require time." - Rest In Power, PRINCE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/10/16 4:47am

PurpleMusic07

aiden said:

Wow just saw that one on Amazon.. Crazy price!
I think one thing that will drive the price up is the hardback book which has become rare..


What is the content of the book? just photos?
"Where you are now is in a place that does not require time." - Rest In Power, PRINCE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/10/16 5:12am

Ymaginatif

avatar

I've got one. I always thought it was a pity the box was so anynoymous. It could have been anybody's purple hatbox.

If they had put a large gold symbol on it, now THAT would have been a beauty to cherish!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/10/16 5:21am

leecaldon

suomynona said:

Never ordered one, because all I wanted out of that package was the CD. Figured he would eventually release just the CD -- or at least a 256/320/flac digital copy later on iTunes, Tidal. But that never happened. Instead, we get a Purple Rain mug?

So now I'm stuck with never having heard it. (As were many fans due to the packaging/price.)

I appreciated how he wanted to sell his art to fans directly -- but sometimes it felt (at least to me) that he dropped the ball on that front. He really could have made a killing if he would have just stuck to the music part. Don't need t-shirts, perfume, etc. Just make the music available and take all of my money...

I remember that in the 90s. Just being excited by the "Free The Music" message. Wanting to fight for him so he could get out of that contract and release as much music as he wanted. But that never seemed to happen.

For those older fans like myself -- pre-internet fans gave bootleggers SOOOOOO much money just so they could hear as much music as possible. Paying at least twice what regular CDs were costing -- and for *mostly* poor quality audio. Still can't wrap my head around why he didn't take advantage of his fans by releasing as much as possible from the vault. I mean, he did with concert ticket prices...

That's what makes this all so bittersweet. With no will, we're likely to finally be able to buy as much as we want to (eventually) -- but he won't see any of that money. Won't be able to help the causes that meant so much to him.

So messed up.

The Controvery single was made available digitally. It was in mono, oddly, that I recall. But so was the CD version.

As for ticket prices - it was only a couple of years ago that I paid £10 for a couple of Prince gigs. And in 2007, it was £31.21 for the O2 arena shows and £25 for the aftershows. That's got to be just about the best value and artist of his stature could provide. (And I could also mention the free aftershows and soundchecks that came with being a member of the NPGMC back in 2002).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/10/16 3:42pm

aiden

avatar

Very interesting re it being in Mono. What was included is above..

I can't wait for mine to arrive smile
"Still Crazy 4 Coco Rock"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/10/16 3:49pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

I payed 99 cents for the Controversy live track from the npgmc

Or was it $1.99 shrug lol
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/17/16 4:30pm

Deedeefelder

So i was wondering if there any place other then ebay or amazon to get the purple box the prices they want are outrageous considering the box was free it sick how people are profiting from Princes death
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/17/16 4:32pm

suomynona

avatar

FragileUndertow said:

I payed 99 cents for the Controversy live track from the npgmc Or was it $1.99 shrug lol

.

What quality was it in? The mp3 I have is in 128, but I may have done that (downconverted). Back then, portable MP3 players didn't hold as much as they do now. Oh well lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/17/16 4:34pm

suomynona

avatar

Deedeefelder said:

So i was wondering if there any place other then ebay or amazon to get the purple box the prices they want are outrageous considering the box was free it sick how people are profiting from Princes death

.

That's what happens when anyone passes. People take advantage of selling their collections. Hell, people are still capitalizing on Marilyn.

.

To answer your question, the answer is no. Ebay (maybe discogs) is your only option -- other than a fellow orger having more than one copy and selling it to you. However, if there are some in storage somewhere, the estate will sell them. Or throw them in a dumpster. Who knows.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/18/16 11:55pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

suomynona said:



FragileUndertow said:


I payed 99 cents for the Controversy live track from the npgmc Or was it $1.99 shrug lol

.


What quality was it in? The mp3 I have is in 128, but I may have done that (downconverted). Back then, portable MP3 players didn't hold as much as they do now. Oh well lol



WMA copy protection / 192kbp vbr, maybe higher, but not even 256 or 320kbp
I just ripped it to CD.. And made a copy in flac
[Edited 5/19/16 0:19am]
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince in Hawaii Gift Box 2004