independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 18th Dec 2017 4:35am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Songs U Hated At Fist Listen But Now U Dig
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/01/13 6:11pm

Purpleaxxe1972

Songs U Hated At Fist Listen But Now U Dig

When 0-]> came out I didn't care for "I Wanna Melt With U" at all. I skipped past it with each listen to the album. Recently, the song's been stuck in my head and listened to a lot.

Question: What Prince songs did you not like originally but have started digging later in life?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/01/13 6:24pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

Purpleaxxe1972 said:

When 0-]> came out I didn't care for "I Wanna Melt With U" at all. I skipped past it with each listen to the album. Recently, the song's been stuck in my head and listened to a lot. Question: What Prince songs did you not like originally but have started digging later in life?

Most of Diamonds & Pearls. I remember buying that album after school on release day, getting home and putting it on....and not liking what I heard. "Thunder", "Gett Off" and "Cream" were cool, but the rest just didn't do it for me.

It's still not one of my favourites, but my opinion of the record has changed quite a bit over the years, "Jughead" aside.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/01/13 6:29pm

Purpleaxxe1972

TwiliteKid said:



Purpleaxxe1972 said:


When 0-]> came out I didn't care for "I Wanna Melt With U" at all. I skipped past it with each listen to the album. Recently, the song's been stuck in my head and listened to a lot. Question: What Prince songs did you not like originally but have started digging later in life?


Most of Diamonds & Pearls. I remember buying that album after school on release day, getting home and putting it on....and not liking what I heard. "Thunder", "Gett Off" and "Cream" were cool, but the rest just didn't do it for me.



It's still not one of my favourites, but my opinion of the record has changed quite a bit over the years, "Jughead" aside.



I've always had a soft spot for "Walk Don't Walk".
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/01/13 6:50pm

Fonkyman

Every song on Around The World In A Day bar Raspberry Beret. eek

I was bang into P and couldn't wait to hear the album. I bought it, put it on and sat there gutted. I gave it a rest, went back to it, left it, went back and made up my mind it was utter shit and took it back for a refund.

I got my money, went home for a few days then went back and bought it again. I took it home, gave it another few spins. still... just Raspberry Beret. Think I took it back to the shop again, rebought it then gradually I got into a few others. I remember being knocked out with The Ladder. Then Pop Life, then Condition, etc. etc. It grew and grew on me til I was convinced in some way the album was better than Purple Rain or 1999. I couldn't get over the way he'd changed course but once I got used to it I was sold.

Now I couldn't be without it. Classic album. I coulda said a similar thing with Dirty Mind and a few others but Around The World In A Day's the stuff that I really turned around on.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/01/13 7:14pm

funksterr

We March. For some reason it has grown on me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/01/13 7:28pm

enjoyniki

Little Red Corvette (until I found out Prince sang it) lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/01/13 9:59pm

Purpleaxxe1972

Fonkyman said:


Every song on Around The World In A Day bar Raspberry Beret. eek



I was bang into P and couldn't wait to hear the album. I bought it, put it on and sat there gutted. I gave it a rest, went back to it, left it, went back and made up my mind it was utter shit and took it back for a refund.



I got my money, went home for a few days then went back and bought it again. I took it home, gave it another few spins. still... just Raspberry Beret. Think I took it back to the shop again, rebought it then gradually I got into a few others. I remember being knocked out with The Ladder. Then Pop Life, then Condition, etc. etc. It grew and grew on me til I was convinced in some way the album was better than Purple Rain or 1999. I couldn't get over the way he'd changed course but once I got used to it I was sold.



Now I couldn't be without it. Classic album. I coulda said a similar thing with Dirty Mind and a few others but Around The World In A Day's the stuff that I really turned around on.





Around The World In A Day was an album that had to grow on me as we'll. I didn't always like Temptation, but revisiting the song later I found it to be quite enjoyable.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/01/13 10:01pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

enjoyniki said:

Little Red Corvette (until I found out Prince sang it) lol


confused
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/02/13 12:09pm

purplepolitici
an

avatar

All things take time. It's all in your frame of mind. wink

Hundalisiliah!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/02/13 3:16pm

chopingard

Adore

At first I thought badly recorded standard ballad, But then I saw him do it live in 2002 and went back and realised how good it is.

The Whole For You Album

I thought it was cheesy disco noncense but I love it now and see it as so much more than that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/02/13 3:39pm

asideorderofha
m

avatar

Fonkyman said:

....I bought it, put it on and sat there gutted. I gave it a rest, went back to it, left it, went back and made up my mind it was utter shit and took it back for a refund.

I got my money, went home for a few days then went back and bought it again. I took it home, gave it another few spins. still... just Raspberry Beret. Think I took it back to the shop again, rebought it....

I'm glad you don't shop at my wrecka stow.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/02/13 4:41pm

PurpleSullivan

avatar

About three years ago, I had just started getting into Prince. Literally, the only album I had was Purple Rain. That Christmas, a family member got me a two CDs: Controversy and Parade. On first listen I hated them both. On Parade I had thought the only songs that made it worthwhile were Kiss and, maybe, Girls & Boys. On Controversy: the title track, Let's Work, and Jack U Off (I know, I know). Over the course of a couple listens I fell in love with them both; Controversy first and Parade next. Funny, because I prefer Parade to Controversy biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/02/13 8:58pm

Fonkyman

asideorderofham said:

I'm glad you don't shop at my wrecka stow.

lol I didn't make a habit of it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/03/13 7:54am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

chopingard said:

The Whole For You Album

Me too.

I got that one in 1985, which I think was about the outer edge of the whole 'disco sucks' era. Couple that with the general homophobia among high school kids at the time and the two pretty much guaranteed that this album got scarcely any play from me.

Around 1990 (free of teenage social constraints) I started coming back to it and just dug it more and more. I like the naive uncertainty of it, and when you consider that he was just nineteen when he recorded it... eek

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/03/13 8:43am

prittypriss

"Fist" "Dig"

eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Songs U Hated At Fist Listen But Now U Dig