independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 18th Mar 2019 2:59pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 2009 Soundscan Sales So Far-Prince at #33
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/05/09 8:39am

linus4000

avatar

2009 Soundscan Sales So Far-Prince at #33

Sales (Soundscan) of 2009 so far.

Lotusflow3R at # 33 with 362000 units sold.

Some albums were released in 2008.

Rank - Sales - TITLE - Artist
01 - 1,316,142 - FEARLESS - Taylor Swift
02 - 1,176,606 - HANNAH MONTANA: THE MOVIE - Soundtrack
03 - 1,168,750 - RELAPSE - Eminem
04 - 975,772 - THE FAME - Lady GaGa
05 - 970,526 - TWILIGHT - Soundtrack
06 - 939,000 - NO LINE ON THE HORIZON - U2
07 - 912,169 - DARK HORSE - Nickelback
08 - 824,530 - UNSTOPPABLE - Rascal Flatts
09 - 809,331 - I AM…SASHA FIERCE - Beyonce
10 - 688,898 - BIG WHISKEY AND THE GROOGRUX KING - Dave Matthews Band
11 - 630,000 - ALL I EVER WANTED - Kelly Clarkson
12 - 617,000 - INTUITION - Jamie Foxx
13 - 615,827 - 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN - Green Day
14 - 610,262 - NOW 30 - Various
15 - 596,000 - THE FRAY - The Fray
16 - 555,151 - ONLY BY THE NIGHT - Kings Of Leon
17 - 549,000 - WORKING ON A DREAM - Bruce Springsteen
18 - 541,000 - 808S AND HEARTBREAK - Kanye West
19 - 540,035 - THE E.N.D. (THE ENERGY NEVER DIES) - Black Eyed Peas
20 - 471,000 - FUNHOUSE - Pink
21 - 467,000 - CIRCUS - Britney Spears
22 - 463,990 - THE FOUNDATION - Zac Brown Band
23 - 455,000 - A DIFFERENT ME - Keyshia Cole
24 - 451,000 - PAPER TRAIL - T.I.
25 - 450,000 - WE SING WE DANCE WE STEAL THINGS - Jason Mraz
26 - 445,000 - DEFYING GRAVITY - Keith Urban
27 - 414,000 - LOVE VS MONEY - The-Dream
28 - 378,000 - DAVID COOK - David Cook
29 - 377,160 - LEARN TO LIVE - Darius Rucker
30 - 373,000 - LOVE ON THE INSIDE - Sugarland
31 - 371,000 - NOW 29 - Various
32 - 368,000 - IN A PERFECT WORLD - Keri Hilson
33 - 362,000 - LOTUS FLOW3R - Prince
34 - 361,000 - VIVA LA VIDA OR DEATH AND ALL HIS FRIENDS - Coldplay
35 - 360,634 - WIDE OPEN - Jason Aldean
36 - 357,000 - TAYLOR SWIFT - Taylor Swift
37 - 354,000 - 19 - Adele
38 - 351,000 - FREEDOM - Akon
39 - 342,000 - DEEPER THAN RAP - Rick Ross
40 - 329,000 - CARNIVAL RIDE - Carrie Underwood
41 - 323,000 - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE - Soundtrack
42 - 317,000 - THA CARTER III - Lil' Wayne
43 - 315,912 - LINES VINES AND TRYING TIMES - Jonas Brothers [/color]
44 - 315,000 - ONE OF THE BOYS - Katy Perry
45 - 311,000 - ROCK N ROLL JESUS - Kid Rock
46 - 307,000 - SCARS AND SOUVENIRS - Theory Of A Deadman
47 - 302,000 - QUIET NIGHTS - Diana Krall
48 - 300,000 - THE LAST KISS - Jadakiss
49 - 297,000 - YEAR OF THE GENTLEMAN - Ne-Yo
50 - 294,000 - MAMMA MIA - Soundtrack
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/05/09 9:05am

NONSENSE

I would have thought lil wayne, katy perry & kanye would have sold more in 2009. They're always on the telly. #33 with little promo, not bad.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/05/09 9:05am

Vendetta1

Hiow much did Planet earth sell?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/05/09 9:10am

SavonOsco

Not bad...and it all goes to him and no record label, pay Target their cut and for distribution and thats not bad at all..now if his ass would go on tour....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/05/09 9:17am

lezama

avatar

any other of the artists listed here have zero radio play?
Change it one more time..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/05/09 11:02am

pennylover

avatar

So him being #33 at this time, does it mean that Prince did ok money wise? I really hope he made money off this album because it is truly a great album. 2 bad a lot of people r missing out on his music because of him not being played on radio.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/05/09 3:17pm

lotusflw3r

When it comes to actual net profit (i.e. money in the bank) then i would hazard a guess Prince would come very high in that chart (all the other acts have to pay record labels there advances back!).

.....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/05/09 3:42pm

funkyhead

lotusflw3r said:

When it comes to actual net profit (i.e. money in the bank) then i would hazard a guess Prince would come very high in that chart (all the other acts have to pay record labels there advances back!).

.....

but isn't it frustrating that the momentum could have kept rolling with say a similar deal cut with wal mart?. Forget singles and videos , it is clear that if P has prime time TV spots and the product is readily available he can shift units after all these years. I think these figures are something to be proud of but as is often the case it could have been better - OR am I just greedy!!!.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/05/09 11:52pm

merce29

Wait a minute..., I thought that's what he sold his first week out, when he almost beat Keith Urban? This can't be correct. Someone check out those old threads.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/06/09 1:38am

InsatiableCrea
m

avatar

not bad
I would let her pee on my face just to see where it came from. -Imago
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/06/09 6:08am

LondonStyle

avatar

lezama said:

any other of the artists listed here have zero radio play?


Nope only P, oh he did well cool
Da, Da, Da....Emancipation....Free..don't think I ain't..! London 21 Nights...Clap your hands...you know the rest..
James Brown & Michael Jackson RIP, your music still lives with us!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/06/09 6:16am

tomato

Good for him. And for people with good taste in music!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/06/09 8:29am

daPrettyman

avatar

Cool. The crazy thing is that MJ has outsold all of them this past week in catalog sales.
**--••--**--••**--••--**--••**--••--**--••**--••-
U 'gon make me shake my doo loose!
http://www.twitter.com/nivlekbrad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/06/09 8:52am

BlackAdder7

is the 300,000+ cd's sold mean 100,000 x 3 cd set?


interesting that he's outsold coldplay, unless coldplay's cd sales reflect 2009 only...
also interesting that Bruce Springsteen out sold Prince, given the fact that Bruce didn't have a hit single...unless the sales reflect the fact that Bruce is touring...
[Edited 7/6/09 8:53am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/06/09 9:01am

daPrettyman

avatar

BlackAdder7 said:

is the 300,000+ cd's sold mean 100,000 x 3 cd set?


interesting that he's outsold coldplay, unless coldplay's cd sales reflect 2009 only...
also interesting that Bruce Springsteen out sold Prince, given the fact that Bruce didn't have a hit single...unless the sales reflect the fact that Bruce is touring...
[Edited 7/6/09 8:53am]

For Coldplay, I think this chart only reflects this year's sales.

As for Bruce, he has done some major appearances to promote this project. Especially considering he did a lot of the inauguration festivities.
**--••--**--••**--••--**--••**--••--**--••**--••-
U 'gon make me shake my doo loose!
http://www.twitter.com/nivlekbrad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/06/09 10:34am

Smittyrock70

BlackAdder7 said:

is the 300,000+ cd's sold mean 100,000 x 3 cd set?


interesting that he's outsold coldplay, unless coldplay's cd sales reflect 2009 only...
also interesting that Bruce Springsteen out sold Prince, given the fact that Bruce didn't have a hit single...unless the sales reflect the fact that Bruce is touring...
[Edited 7/6/09 8:53am]


That's the former. Soundscan goes by how many sets sold (hard count) regardless if each set contained one CD or ten.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/06/09 10:47am

laurarichardso
n

It shows that in this bad economy and with poor music sales that P may know what he is doing despite all the bitching and complaining from some fans.

I think he has more than proved that with a large fan base and decent music an artist can survive outside of the traditional industry.






-----LondonStyle said:

lezama said:

any other of the artists listed here have zero radio play?


Nope only P, oh he did well cool

-----
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/06/09 8:30pm

merce29

linus4000 said:

Sales (Soundscan) of 2009 so far.

Lotusflow3R at # 33 with 362000 units sold.

Some albums were released in 2008.

Rank - Sales - TITLE - Artist
01 - 1,316,142 - FEARLESS - Taylor Swift
02 - 1,176,606 - HANNAH MONTANA: THE MOVIE - Soundtrack
03 - 1,168,750 - RELAPSE - Eminem
04 - 975,772 - THE FAME - Lady GaGa
05 - 970,526 - TWILIGHT - Soundtrack
06 - 939,000 - NO LINE ON THE HORIZON - U2
07 - 912,169 - DARK HORSE - Nickelback
08 - 824,530 - UNSTOPPABLE - Rascal Flatts
09 - 809,331 - I AM…SASHA FIERCE - Beyonce
10 - 688,898 - BIG WHISKEY AND THE GROOGRUX KING - Dave Matthews Band
11 - 630,000 - ALL I EVER WANTED - Kelly Clarkson
12 - 617,000 - INTUITION - Jamie Foxx
13 - 615,827 - 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN - Green Day
14 - 610,262 - NOW 30 - Various
15 - 596,000 - THE FRAY - The Fray
16 - 555,151 - ONLY BY THE NIGHT - Kings Of Leon
17 - 549,000 - WORKING ON A DREAM - Bruce Springsteen
18 - 541,000 - 808S AND HEARTBREAK - Kanye West
19 - 540,035 - THE E.N.D. (THE ENERGY NEVER DIES) - Black Eyed Peas
20 - 471,000 - FUNHOUSE - Pink
21 - 467,000 - CIRCUS - Britney Spears
22 - 463,990 - THE FOUNDATION - Zac Brown Band
23 - 455,000 - A DIFFERENT ME - Keyshia Cole
24 - 451,000 - PAPER TRAIL - T.I.
25 - 450,000 - WE SING WE DANCE WE STEAL THINGS - Jason Mraz
26 - 445,000 - DEFYING GRAVITY - Keith Urban
27 - 414,000 - LOVE VS MONEY - The-Dream
28 - 378,000 - DAVID COOK - David Cook
29 - 377,160 - LEARN TO LIVE - Darius Rucker
30 - 373,000 - LOVE ON THE INSIDE - Sugarland
31 - 371,000 - NOW 29 - Various
32 - 368,000 - IN A PERFECT WORLD - Keri Hilson
33 - 362,000 - LOTUS FLOW3R - Prince
34 - 361,000 - VIVA LA VIDA OR DEATH AND ALL HIS FRIENDS - Coldplay
35 - 360,634 - WIDE OPEN - Jason Aldean
36 - 357,000 - TAYLOR SWIFT - Taylor Swift
37 - 354,000 - 19 - Adele
38 - 351,000 - FREEDOM - Akon
39 - 342,000 - DEEPER THAN RAP - Rick Ross
40 - 329,000 - CARNIVAL RIDE - Carrie Underwood
41 - 323,000 - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE - Soundtrack
42 - 317,000 - THA CARTER III - Lil' Wayne
43 - 315,912 - LINES VINES AND TRYING TIMES - Jonas Brothers [/color]
44 - 315,000 - ONE OF THE BOYS - Katy Perry
45 - 311,000 - ROCK N ROLL JESUS - Kid Rock
46 - 307,000 - SCARS AND SOUVENIRS - Theory Of A Deadman
47 - 302,000 - QUIET NIGHTS - Diana Krall
48 - 300,000 - THE LAST KISS - Jadakiss
49 - 297,000 - YEAR OF THE GENTLEMAN - Ne-Yo
50 - 294,000 - MAMMA MIA - Soundtrack


when did this list come out? I thought Prince sold that many cd on his first week! That shouldn't be his total to date.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/06/09 8:43pm

SteelPanther

avatar

this is the total for 2009
Prince didnt sell 362,000 copies of anything the 1st week biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/06/09 8:55pm

minneapolisFun
q

avatar

im sure he made decent money with independent distibution

good 2 know that he still has a solid fanbase. all of the bandwagoners dissapated years ago
You're so glam, every time I see you I wanna slam!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/07/09 6:40am

laurarichardso
n

What is your point? Without promotion that would be impossible goal and unlike a lot of artist P does not have to sell 362,000 copies in a week since already received his money from Target inadditon to his share of the profits from the 362,000 copies that he did sell.

He did the smart thing with the way he distriubted this CD.

I am slowly realizing that some orgers are going to continue to live in a state of denial concerning dismal cd sales, the odds that stacked against an independent artist, and the amazing feat that P has pulled off.

How can so many people be clueless.
-----

SteelPanther said:

this is the total for 2009
Prince didnt sell 362,000 copies of anything the 1st week biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/07/09 7:47am

SteelPanther

avatar

laurarichardson said:

What is your point? Without promotion that would be impossible goal and unlike a lot of artist P does not have to sell 362,000 copies in a week since already received his money from Target inadditon to his share of the profits from the 362,000 copies that he did sell.

He did the smart thing with the way he distriubted this CD.

I am slowly realizing that some orgers are going to continue to live in a state of denial concerning dismal cd sales, the odds that stacked against an independent artist, and the amazing feat that P has pulled off.

How can so many people be clueless.
-----

SteelPanther said:

this is the total for 2009
Prince didnt sell 362,000 copies of anything the 1st week biggrin


your clueless i was responding to the person who said Prince sold that many the 1st week and the chart was wrong

the chart is correct and Prince didn't sell 362.000 the 1st week
it's the albums total sales so far
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/07/09 7:49am

Imago

My goodness there are some terrible acts higher up on that list. lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/07/09 8:36am

laurarichardso
n

SteelPanther said:

laurarichardson said:

What is your point? Without promotion that would be impossible goal and unlike a lot of artist P does not have to sell 362,000 copies in a week since already received his money from Target inadditon to his share of the profits from the 362,000 copies that he did sell.

He did the smart thing with the way he distriubted this CD.

I am slowly realizing that some orgers are going to continue to live in a state of denial concerning dismal cd sales, the odds that stacked against an independent artist, and the amazing feat that P has pulled off.

How can so many people be clueless.
-----



your clueless i was responding to the person who said Prince sold that many the 1st week and the chart was wrong

the chart is correct and Prince didn't sell 362.000 the 1st week
it's the albums total sales so far

-----
No, your clueless I know who you were responding to and I am commenting on the numerous people still bitching that the amount for the year was not anything special.

Go someplace and relax.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/07/09 2:06pm

DesireeNevermi
nd

#33 seems about right.

madonna not on there? confuse
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/07/09 2:07pm

Close2u

If Prince needs me 2 go Audit these SoundScanners' numbers I got his back wink and his front
[Edited 7/7/09 14:08pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/07/09 3:09pm

Alexandernvrmi
nd

avatar

the fact that these numbers are so low is just shocking

a complete and utter collapse of music sales
Dance... Let me see you dance
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/07/09 5:38pm

audience1

Could be worse, but it could be better too.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/07/09 5:53pm

mzkqueen03

avatar

.
[Edited 11/20/09 8:42am]
..She's Just A Baby..but she's my lady..my loveR..my only friend!..true love that will last!..PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND..WHAT SHE SEES IN AN OLDER MAN..they never stop 2 think that maybe i'm what she's looking 4..THEY NEVER TAKE THE TIME..2 look in her mind
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 2009 Soundscan Sales So Far-Prince at #33