independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 24th Nov 2014 5:46am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What was Prince's response to that Chapelle's Show sketch about him?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/30/07 2:54pm

NWF

avatar

What was Prince's response to that Chapelle's Show sketch about him?

confuse I forgot what he said. I just remember him saying that it was true that he beat Charlie Murphy in b-ball. lol

To this day, that sketch is a riot! lol
NEW WAVE FOREVER: SLAVE TO THE WAVE FROM THE CRADLE TO THE GRAVE.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/30/07 3:24pm

UCantHavaDaMan
go

avatar

I heard that he's cracked a few pancake jokes during concerts, so he must not be upset about it.
Wanna hear me sing? biggrin www.MySpace.com/RaniLovezYou
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/30/07 4:07pm

Cyra

avatar

That sketch is classic. Only Prince lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/30/07 4:25pm

wlcm2thdwn

He had to laugh, that stuff was funny!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/30/07 4:31pm

toejam

avatar

Shortly after it was aired, an interviewer asked him whether it was true and he replied that it was, and that he really dug the skit. Can't remember off the top of my head which interview though lol
Toejam @ Peach & Black Podcast: http://peachandblack.podbean.com
Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Toejam the solo artist: http://www.youtube.com/scottbignell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/31/07 7:50am

prettymansson

I saw them hanging out in NYC together shortly after the skit aired.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/31/07 8:07am

Tootall4yall

How funny would it be if, after ROCKING the entire world with his halftime performance at the Super Bowl, Prince's last words into the mic before he left the stage were "Game...Blouses!!! Anyone want any pancakes?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/31/07 8:15am

ufoclub

avatar

If memory serves:

At an after party he supposedly was chatting it up with Chapelle who came to a musiclogy concert, and then asked if he wanted pancakes.

He's also said in an interview at that time that the reason he and his people won the basketball game was that Chapelle's team were lame, not that Prince's team was great.
30 seconds of spooky music with a real harp and banging pots and pans: https://soundcloud.com/uf...-phenomena

VIDEO WORK: http://sharadkantpatel.com
MUSIC: http://www.soundcloud.com/ufoclub1977
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/31/07 9:45am

Ifsixwuz9

avatar

ufoclub said:

If memory serves:

At an after party he supposedly was chatting it up with Chapelle who came to a musiclogy concert, and then asked if he wanted pancakes.

He's also said in an interview at that time that the reason he and his people won the basketball game was that Chapelle's team were lame, not that Prince's team was great.


Umm... don't you mean Charlie Murphy's team?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis-
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/31/07 10:01am

ufoclub

avatar

Ifsixwuz9 said:

ufoclub said:

If memory serves:

At an after party he supposedly was chatting it up with Chapelle who came to a musiclogy concert, and then asked if he wanted pancakes.

He's also said in an interview at that time that the reason he and his people won the basketball game was that Chapelle's team were lame, not that Prince's team was great.


Umm... don't you mean Charlie Murphy's team?


yeah! I meant Murphy's team.
30 seconds of spooky music with a real harp and banging pots and pans: https://soundcloud.com/uf...-phenomena

VIDEO WORK: http://sharadkantpatel.com
MUSIC: http://www.soundcloud.com/ufoclub1977
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/31/07 10:04am

BobGeorge909

avatar

toejam said:

Shortly after it was aired, an interviewer asked him whether it was true and he replied that it was, and that he really dug the skit. Can't remember off the top of my head which interview though lol


after the Musicology Promo that was aired on a bunch of Music stations at the same time...the guy from BET brought up Chapelle and Prince laughed....but denied making the Pancakes, said the cook made them.
Damn. 750,000 people died fighting the civil war...4 years. With Today's population %age, it would b 7 million people. There r 3000 railroad ties per a mile of track. It would take 250 miles of track to represent 750k...to put it in a bit of perspec
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/31/07 11:06am

sitruk7

I'm listening to an interview about it right now...


Skip Murphy "I heard Dave Chappelle came by your afterparty in New York."

Prince "Correct."

SM "I heard you really do play basketball really good."

Prince "Oh yeah,that's a true story."

SM "Oh yeah, they said you took on Eddie Murphy and Eddie's brother Charlie in a game of basketball and gave them some pancakes afterwards?

Prince "Well the pancakes were just kinda like,u know, like a diss 2 just u know,like Aunt Jehmimah,u know?"

SM "But you beat em'!That's a great story!"

Prince "I mean it was the least I could do, u know?"

moments later...
interviewer "When you come back June 11th to the American Airlines Center,Prince,I'm gonna be sittin' in the audience and I'm gonna see if they'll let me bring my guitar in and I hope you'll call me up on stage and see if you'll let me do one with you."

Prince "Definately.U know what happens then,right?"

Interviewer "What happens?"

Prince "U get the pancakes!"
lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/31/07 11:08am

UCantHavaDaMan
go

avatar

^ Thanks for posting that! Who was the interviewer?

BTW, I love it how Prince sounds like he was caught off guard by the questions. His answers are so cute.
[Edited 1/31/07 11:10am]
Wanna hear me sing? biggrin www.MySpace.com/RaniLovezYou
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/31/07 11:09am

BobGeorge909

avatar

sitruk7 said:

I'm listening to an interview about it right now...


Skip Murphy "I heard Dave Chappelle came by your afterparty in New York."

Prince "Correct."

SM "I heard you really do play basketball really good."

Prince "Oh yeah,that's a true story."

SM "Oh yeah, they said you took on Eddie Murphy and Eddie's brother Charlie in a game of basketball and gave them some pancakes afterwards?

Prince "Well the pancakes were just kinda like,u know, like a diss 2 just u know,like Aunt Jehmimah,u know?"

SM "But you beat em'!That's a great story!"

Prince "I mean it was the least I could do, u know?"

moments later...
interviewer "When you come back June 11th to the American Airlines Center,Prince,I'm gonna be sittin' in the audience and I'm gonna see if they'll let me bring my guitar in and I hope you'll call me up on stage and see if you'll let me do one with you."

Prince "Definately.U know what happens then,right?"

Interviewer "What happens?"

Prince "U get the pancakes!"
lol


that fool is a riot. I wish we could hang out....neutral
Damn. 750,000 people died fighting the civil war...4 years. With Today's population %age, it would b 7 million people. There r 3000 railroad ties per a mile of track. It would take 250 miles of track to represent 750k...to put it in a bit of perspec
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/31/07 11:12am

sitruk7

UCantHavaDaMango said:

^ Thanks for posting that! Who was the interviewer?

BTW, I love it how Prince sounds like he was caught off guard by the questions. His answers are so cute.
[Edited 1/31/07 11:10am]

Skip Murphy I believe is his name.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/31/07 11:14am

UCantHavaDaMan
go

avatar

sitruk7 said:

UCantHavaDaMango said:

^ Thanks for posting that! Who was the interviewer?

BTW, I love it how Prince sounds like he was caught off guard by the questions. His answers are so cute.
[Edited 1/31/07 11:10am]

Skip Murphy I believe is his name.


OK, cool, I'll have to look for it sometime.
Wanna hear me sing? biggrin www.MySpace.com/RaniLovezYou
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/31/07 12:09pm

VANITYSprisonB
YTCH

On Tavis Smiley back in '04 he was kind of asked about it and he didnt seem to have a problem with it...he thought it was all in good fun.

By the way...Tavis Smiley is YUMMY!



razz
Every minute of last night is on my face today....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/31/07 12:31pm

PurpleKnight

avatar

One of the very few times Prince didn't overreact to a joke made about him that was all in good fun.
The world is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.

"You still wanna take me to prison...just because I won't trade humanity for patriotism."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/31/07 1:32pm

NWF

avatar

I wonder if Prince and his team actually did wear those Edwardian outfits to the court. lol
NEW WAVE FOREVER: SLAVE TO THE WAVE FROM THE CRADLE TO THE GRAVE.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/31/07 2:30pm

ufoclub

avatar

NWF said:

I wonder if Prince and his team actually did wear those Edwardian outfits to the court. lol


Prince said they did not wear stage costumes to play! I heard it when someone uploaded another radio interview from that time.
30 seconds of spooky music with a real harp and banging pots and pans: https://soundcloud.com/uf...-phenomena

VIDEO WORK: http://sharadkantpatel.com
MUSIC: http://www.soundcloud.com/ufoclub1977
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What was Prince's response to that Chapelle's Show sketch about him?