independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 30th Jul 2014 2:05am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > The Family/ Mazarati
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/31/06 9:56am

jaimestarr79

The Family/ Mazarati

A few questions? Hopefully somebody can help me to some answers.

Where any of these ever officially released on CD? Or are they just bootlegs?

Are they both good quality CD's?

I like 100 mph, players ball, High Fashion, Screams of Passion.

Are there other songs on these CD's really worth having?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/31/06 10:51am

oldpurple

avatar

The Family was released on cd dont know if Mazarati was/ is.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/31/06 11:03am

jaimestarr79

Does anybody know where I can find these CD's without paying an arm and a leg?

Nobody has answered my question whether these were good CD's or not?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/31/06 11:05am

oldpurple

avatar

jaimestarr79 said:

Does anybody know where I can find these CD's without paying an arm and a leg?

Nobody has answered my question whether these were good CD's or not?



sorry, Its been a while since I heard The Family CD but i digged it when I got a copy of it, so I would go and buy it. HAve you tried Ebay yet?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/31/06 11:05am

Alliasan

avatar

jaimestarr79 said:

Does anybody know where I can find these CD's without paying an arm and a leg?

Nobody has answered my question whether these were good CD's or not?


No where. wink

Seriously - The Family CS was only released on Japan and Germany, when CDs were a very new format, and so are both imports and very limited. Expect to pay about $100 if you can find one.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/31/06 11:13am

oldpurple

avatar

just had a look on ebay no cd's of The Family and 1 copy of Mazarati
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/31/06 11:20am

jaimestarr79

who can afford those ridiculous Ebay prices anyway? I can't.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/31/06 11:49am

oldpurple

avatar

have a look here from time to time


http://www.prince.org/msg/9
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/31/06 12:29pm

jazzz

The family CD was released in Europe about 5 years after the original vinyl album came out. This was at the time that 'Nothing Compares..' was a hit for Sinead oConner, so some people at WB smelled some cash. I bought the cd at that time, not knowing what it collectors item it would become (otherwise I would have bought some more lol ). At that time I was in military service, and when I walked the street one day (coming from the military campus), I walked right up to a record store, and that cd was the first one I noticed. It was the find of the month!! Never seen it in any store afterwards!!

About the Mazarati: this came out on cd only in Japan around the same time (early 90's), along with the Apollonia 6 cd. Never had a chance to buy these, since Japanese imports where quite expensive these days. It's a pity right now, since these are the only two associate artists I don't have on cd...

jazzz
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/31/06 12:31pm

jazzz

BTW:

be careful to buy these cd's on ebay, 99% are non-original, copies. Check earlier posts on this forum to find out how to recognize a fake.

jazzz
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/31/06 12:59pm

oldpurple

avatar

Another one is the Jill jones CD I was lucky enough to pick this little gem from Japan up at a record fare for a couple of pounds and Latley ive been told its worht a copule of hundred.

happy hunting
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/31/06 1:26pm

Mag777

I've got all of them Mazarati, Jill, Family, etc...there copies..but there great! way better than payin an arm and a leg for.. ; )
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/31/06 2:45pm

oldpurple

avatar

nothinbg like holding the shiny disc in your hands
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/31/06 7:59pm

GaryMF

avatar

The Family CD is awesome!!! Love every track. It marks the 1st appearance of Eric Leeds on album and the1st time Prince used Clare Fischer's strings.

Nice combination of funk and jazz.

I had a CD-r copy but it got corrupted recently.
Just make your own.

Buy the vinyl which is easy to find and burn your own MP3s. It's easy.
rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/01/06 4:11am

jazzz

oldpurple said:

Another one is the Jill jones CD I was lucky enough to pick this little gem from Japan up at a record fare for a couple of pounds and Latley ive been told its worht a copule of hundred.

happy hunting


The Jill Jones cd was also released in Europe. I bought it in 1987, it was one of the first cd's in my collection (along with Sign O the Times and Madhouse 8). For some reason, the Jill Jones cd was quite easy to get here second hand for some time. I was able to pick up 3 used copies through the years (all different pressings). Haven't seen one lately however....
..
jazzz
[Edited 9/1/06 4:13am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/01/06 7:38am

susannah

Where are you? If youre in the UK theres a good mail order company that does all things Prince - and I mean all things - called Madhouse Music, they have everything, bootlegs to random artists albums with a Prince cover on it. They will definitely have both, and for only about £10-15 if I remember. I bought the family on vinyl for £20...

Just google them, or come to the Manchester meet up a week tommorrow as theyll have a stall in the club!

EDIT - okaaaay I take it all back, I was just on the site and the CD is £125!!

They gave me the vinyl for £20, whats up with that?! Id rather have the vinyl shrug
[Edited 9/1/06 7:43am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/01/06 7:39am

susannah

Oh yeah, and The family is a great album. I havent heard mazerati though.

First time I heard the family I said it was like a Parade outtake album, so, if you like Parade...!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/01/06 9:15am

GaryMF

avatar

susannah said:

Oh yeah, and The family is a great album. I havent heard mazerati though.

First time I heard the family I said it was like a Parade outtake album, so, if you like Parade...!


Yes and no. Remember it came BEFORE Parade and it in many ways foreshadowed what was to come.

I would bet many of hte people who don't like Parade (due to the eclectic influences of classical, French styles etc.) might still like the Family.

It is really a funk-jazz-pop album....not as "out there" as some of hte parade tracks are.

Don't get me wrong, I love parade, too.
rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/01/06 9:41am

vainandy

avatar

GaryMF said:

susannah said:

Oh yeah, and The family is a great album. I havent heard mazerati though.

First time I heard the family I said it was like a Parade outtake album, so, if you like Parade...!


Yes and no. Remember it came BEFORE Parade and it in many ways foreshadowed what was to come.

I would bet many of hte people who don't like Parade (due to the eclectic influences of classical, French styles etc.) might still like the Family.

It is really a funk-jazz-pop album....not as "out there" as some of hte parade tracks are.

Don't get me wrong, I love parade, too.


The Family was definately a preview of what was to come. There were parts of it I didn't like for the same reason I didn't like parts of "Parade". I liked The Mazarati album much better. It was more like "Old Prince" stuff with none of the artsy/fartsy stuff.
Andy is a four letter word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/13/06 10:20am

100MPH

avatar

jaimestarr79 said:


Nobody has answered my question whether these were good CD's or not?


Here are a few clips , to get an impression :

http://www.youtube.com/wa...JMjdbB6s_o






http://www.youtube.com/wa...ZGx-MYzYSs





Another standout track from Mazarati is ( imo ) She's Just That Kinda Lady , growling , with a nasty edge .




http://www.youtube.com/wa...RQY_5jJg-4

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/04/06 7:57pm

TBarbarella

I saw Mazarrti jam at Riverfest on St. Paul's Mississippi during the summer of 1985. They autographed their album and I wore it out as a DJ at my college radio station. I'd kill to get my hands on a CD version.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/05/06 9:12am

wavesofbliss

avatar

First time I heard the family I said it was like a Parade outtake album, so, if you like Parade


ditto. and i would add the Jill Jones cd aswell.i love listening to them all back to back. its' like an extended play version of Parade which is my second fav prince album of all time. razz
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 10/05/06 3:37pm

woogiebear

jazzz said:

oldpurple said:

Another one is the Jill jones CD I was lucky enough to pick this little gem from Japan up at a record fare for a couple of pounds and Latley ive been told its worht a copule of hundred.

happy hunting


The Jill Jones cd was also released in Europe. I bought it in 1987, it was one of the first cd's in my collection (along with Sign O the Times and Madhouse 8). For some reason, the Jill Jones cd was quite easy to get here second hand for some time. I was able to pick up 3 used copies through the years (all different pressings). Haven't seen one lately however....
..
jazzz
[Edited 9/1/06 4:13am]


I have a US version of Jill Jones that I bought in 1988 on CD in Buffalo, NY. I STILL have it here in Seattle!!!!! As far as Mazarati & The Family, I have THREE copies of each LP. At least one of each is in pristine condition. So I'm burning my OWN CD!!!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 10/11/06 2:38pm

ThePunisher

TBarbarella said:

I saw Mazarrti jam at Riverfest on St. Paul's Mississippi during the summer of 1985. They autographed their album and I wore it out as a DJ at my college radio station. I'd kill to get my hands on a CD version.
I used to go see Mazerati at 1st Ave Niteclub before their album came out. They mainly did a bunch of cover tunes by Prince, The Time and even Van Halen. The only original tune I can recall them performing is "Stroke". It sounded like a "Time" throwaway song. They would pump their fists up in the air and yell "Stroke!!" When they sung it. My favorite songs were "100 MPH" and "Strawberry Lover" I wonder if they made a video for "Lover"?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/11/06 2:59pm

jazzz

woogiebear said:

jazzz said:



The Jill Jones cd was also released in Europe. I bought it in 1987, it was one of the first cd's in my collection (along with Sign O the Times and Madhouse 8). For some reason, the Jill Jones cd was quite easy to get here second hand for some time. I was able to pick up 3 used copies through the years (all different pressings). Haven't seen one lately however....
..
jazzz
[Edited 9/1/06 4:13am]


I have a US version of Jill Jones that I bought in 1988 on CD in Buffalo, NY. I STILL have it here in Seattle!!!!! As far as Mazarati & The Family, I have THREE copies of each LP. At least one of each is in pristine condition. So I'm burning my OWN CD!!!!!


A good LP can sound better than a cd. Burn it!! wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/11/06 4:26pm

Mong

I have a great vinyl to CD copy of this that I burned myself. I recently acquired a CD-R of the Japanese CD edition of the album and guess what..the vinyl rip sounds much better (especially the low end).
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 10/15/06 4:01pm

glamslam45

avatar

GaryMF said:

The Family CD is awesome!!! Love every track. It marks the 1st appearance of Eric Leeds on album and the1st time Prince used Clare Fischer's strings.


didn't he use her strings on Purple Rain (the song)

i definitely suggest those albums. i have The Family on LP. i got mazarati on limewire (be careful, all of the 100 MPH's are loud and distorted).

i got Jill Jones a few weeks ago, used, for $5.00
rock on with your bad self
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 10/15/06 4:38pm

DecaturStone

I thought Claire Fischer was a fellow? hmm
Is there is any interviews with Sir Casey Terry or any of the Mazarati band?
The Mazarati and Family Lps are 2 of my favs from Paisley Park. I have never seen any print on Mazarati what so ever.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 10/15/06 6:18pm

GaryMF

avatar

glamslam45 said:

GaryMF said:

The Family CD is awesome!!! Love every track. It marks the 1st appearance of Eric Leeds on album and the1st time Prince used Clare Fischer's strings.


didn't he use her strings on Purple Rain (the song)

i definitely suggest those albums. i have The Family on LP. i got mazarati on limewire (be careful, all of the 100 MPH's are loud and distorted).

i got Jill Jones a few weeks ago, used, for $5.00

Clare Fischer is a man.

The strings on Purple Rain were done by Novi Novog and possibly written by W&L (or that might just be Raspberry Beret that W&L did)
rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 10/15/06 6:35pm

skilletnomicro
wave

avatar

susannah said:

Where are you? If youre in the UK theres a good mail order company that does all things Prince - and I mean all things - called Madhouse Music, they have everything, bootlegs to random artists albums with a Prince cover on it. They will definitely have both, and for only about £10-15 if I remember. I bought the family on vinyl for £20...

Just google them, or come to the Manchester meet up a week tommorrow as theyll have a stall in the club!

EDIT - okaaaay I take it all back, I was just on the site and the CD is £125!!

They gave me the vinyl for £20, whats up with that?! Id rather have the vinyl shrug
[Edited 9/1/06 7:43am]

I can't beleive Adrian charged you £20 for the vinyl, I hope it was sealed and not corner cut for that price shocked
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > The Family/ Mazarati