independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 20th Jul 2018 11:32am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Fan Gatherings > My name is Prince at the O2 exhibition - part 3
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/05/18 5:49pm

tbokris

My name is Prince at the O2 exhibition - part 3

(Part 2 was locked)
I went to this today and was very disappointed indeed. I didn’t expect it to be great or if the high standard like the Bowie exhibition at the V&A, but this really was much worse than I imagined.
Such lack of insight into any Prince history. There was nothing giving the stories behind any of the objects (except the cloud bass). No interviews or talking heads, no costume designers talking, guitar techs, band mates or literally anyone who had ever worked with Prince giving any further information. At £27.50, and the 2 giftshops trying to fleece you on cheap unimaginative merchandise, and the badly pixelated videos, poorly cheaply printed signage, signage that was incorrect.
Sure it’s nice to see his costumes and his guitars but they’re so badly displayed with zero context. Save for a few random books, the rest of the exhibition is just videos from the official YouTube account played in lo res (that you listen to on cheap airplane style headphones) and his record sleeves.
One of the display cases was literally 4 LPs! I have these LPs, I don’t need to see them in a display case.
What a missed opportunity. Whoever organised this took the money and run. My friend (who isn’t the biggest ever P fan) commented “its like whoever organised this show, doesn’t even know anything about Prince”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/05/18 6:18pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Part 2 self-locked lol

Here is the link - Part 2 http://prince.org/msg/7/448410

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/06/18 3:42am

tbokris

Why has this thread been moved to the fan gatherings section? When it isn't a fan gathering and the other threads about the O2 exhibition were in the main forum?

.

It's almost as if negative criticism about the exhibition is being hidden away...

.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/name-prince-o2-arena-review/

.

this says it pretty well. This exhibition was really quite shocking, how little concideration had been put into it, and how much it ignored pretty much anything about Prince or the history/people surrounding any of his legacy.

.

[Edited 1/6/18 3:46am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/06/18 7:27am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

tbokris said:

Why has this thread been moved to the fan gatherings section? When it isn't a fan gathering and the other threads about the O2 exhibition were in the main forum?

.

It's almost as if negative criticism about the exhibition is being hidden away...

.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/name-prince-o2-arena-review/

.

this says it pretty well. This exhibition was really quite shocking, how little concideration had been put into it, and how much it ignored pretty much anything about Prince or the history/people surrounding any of his legacy.

.

[Edited 1/6/18 3:46am]



As per the rules that you agreed to when you signed up:

Moderators have final say.
prince.org administrators and moderators reserve the right to edit, relocate and/or remove any message, at any time, for any reason. Consider all editing decisions final. If you don't agree with a decision, you may discuss it with the moderator who made the judgment in private.

In Private meaning use orgnotes to communicate.

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/06/18 7:32am

tbokris

[Please use orgnotes to communicate in private, not in open forum, thanks snip - luv4u]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/08/18 6:00am

Lianachan

avatar

I visited on Saturday 6th, the last weekend. It was extremely busy. Did the VIP tour as I'd travelled hundreds of miles to get to it. Didn't learn anything, and it's all pretty badly laid out - things just thrown together, which is pretty odd given that it starts off as nicely chronological. No free book with the VIP package, which was disappointing, and the best stuff (apart from holding the guitar) was out in the general area. Gift shop full of extortionately priced tat, souvenirs of the exhibition itself rather than Prince merchandise. Glad I went and managed to see the things I saw, but it could and should have been a lot better.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge"" ~ Isaac Asimov
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/09/18 5:44am

tbokris

Lianachan said:

I visited on Saturday 6th, the last weekend. It was extremely busy. Did the VIP tour as I'd travelled hundreds of miles to get to it. Didn't learn anything, and it's all pretty badly laid out - things just thrown together, which is pretty odd given that it starts off as nicely chronological. No free book with the VIP package, which was disappointing, and the best stuff (apart from holding the guitar) was out in the general area. Gift shop full of extortionately priced tat, souvenirs of the exhibition itself rather than Prince merchandise. Glad I went and managed to see the things I saw, but it could and should have been a lot better.

What was in the VIP room? Weren't you kind a dismayed that one of the 'exhibits' was a perspex box with nothing but Prince's first 4 LPs in it, which his fans have anyway and then you go to the gift shop and they have his LPs for sale there too. How is this an exhibit??!

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/09/18 6:16am

Lianachan

avatar

tbokris said:

Lianachan said:

I visited on Saturday 6th, the last weekend. It was extremely busy. Did the VIP tour as I'd travelled hundreds of miles to get to it. Didn't learn anything, and it's all pretty badly laid out - things just thrown together, which is pretty odd given that it starts off as nicely chronological. No free book with the VIP package, which was disappointing, and the best stuff (apart from holding the guitar) was out in the general area. Gift shop full of extortionately priced tat, souvenirs of the exhibition itself rather than Prince merchandise. Glad I went and managed to see the things I saw, but it could and should have been a lot better.

What was in the VIP room? Weren't you kind a dismayed that one of the 'exhibits' was a perspex box with nothing but Prince's first 4 LPs in it, which his fans have anyway and then you go to the gift shop and they have his LPs for sale there too. How is this an exhibit??!

.



The display of LPs did seem a bit redundant, yes. The VIP bit consisted of 3 rooms, containing Prince's make-up box and toilet bag, some guitars, shoes and clothes, the box he used to get on stage at the O2 - nothing that remarkable or interesting, although holding the guitar used in the MTV Art of Musicology acoustic set was pretty cool.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge"" ~ Isaac Asimov
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/10/18 10:44am

tonyspr

Hello, I live in the UK and despite not wishing to go to to the exhibition whilst in London I am looking at Amsterdam in May ( make it a short city break). I plan on doing the VIP tour but was wondering are you guided round throughout the tour or just at certain points you get to enter certain other rooms ? Thanks

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/10/18 11:17am

Lianachan

avatar

tonyspr said:

Hello, I live in the UK and despite not wishing to go to to the exhibition whilst in London I am looking at Amsterdam in May ( make it a short city break). I plan on doing the VIP tour but was wondering are you guided round throughout the tour or just at certain points you get to enter certain other rooms ? Thanks



In London, and I'm sure it'll be the same in Amsterdam, you went in groups with a guide. The guide would talk for a few mins about what was in each room, then give you a few mins to take photos and have a look around before moving on to the next room. Once it's done, you're unleashed into the general area.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge"" ~ Isaac Asimov
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/12/18 5:08am

leecaldon

Lianachan said:

tonyspr said:

Hello, I live in the UK and despite not wishing to go to to the exhibition whilst in London I am looking at Amsterdam in May ( make it a short city break). I plan on doing the VIP tour but was wondering are you guided round throughout the tour or just at certain points you get to enter certain other rooms ? Thanks



In London, and I'm sure it'll be the same in Amsterdam, you went in groups with a guide. The guide would talk for a few mins about what was in each room, then give you a few mins to take photos and have a look around before moving on to the next room. Once it's done, you're unleashed into the general area.

To clarify, you are taken on a tour through the VIP area only.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/13/18 1:39am

tonyspr

leecaldon said:

Lianachan said:



In London, and I'm sure it'll be the same in Amsterdam, you went in groups with a guide. The guide would talk for a few mins about what was in each room, then give you a few mins to take photos and have a look around before moving on to the next room. Once it's done, you're unleashed into the general area.

To clarify, you are taken on a tour through the VIP area only.

Thank you, really looking forward to this.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Fan Gatherings > My name is Prince at the O2 exhibition - part 3