independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 22nd Aug 2014 8:42am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Concerts > Thouhgts on Aftershows
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/17/12 12:42am

4everyours

Thouhgts on Aftershows

My wife and I had the good fortune to be able to attend the third Chicago show as well as the aftershow at HOB. I have attended maybe about 4 or 5 aftershows and have heard and or seen on CD/VHS/DVD other aftershows and several weeks after the excitment of the Chicago aftershow I was thinking of weather or not a lot of these shows generate more excitment about being "in the know" about the show, or maybe seeing him in an intimate setting and posible so close and less about what kind or performance or experience the whole thing is. And I say that based on a few reasons and I am not bashing at all. I am very greatful that I am a fan of a musician who has the ability to do a full arena concert and then the chops to do another club performance but here is some of the things I have found that I walk away feeling, good and bad

- Usually stuck standing, squeezed in like sardines, left standing for a crazy amount of time, barely able to breath and with my back killing me

- The experience of him coming out and then playing nothing but a bunch of covers

- Giving giving the stage away for wayyy too long to others. Rememebr the days of the Steeles, Mavis Staples, etc. And for me in Chi town it was a wayy too long version of Shelby singing Brownnnnnn Skin. Then he abruptly left without a word and we were left with another too long performance by Janelle Monae.

- Now I do have copies of aftershows that are the F-ing bomb. But for me, those are shows where he actually sings Prince songs that are maybe a bit obscure for the casual fan but for you and me it would be huge to hear, I don't know, Lady Can Driver, Automatic, Play in the Sunshine, whatever. Things that we all know but have either never or have not heard live for a long time.

So yes, Prince, I thank you and/or God for your musical gifts and sharing them with us, your great showmanship and it has kept me very entertained for 30 years but I am just amazed and maybe perplexed by some of the huge swings as well as hassles regarding aftershows. Again, no bashing, just curious if anyone else has had similar feelings or maybe I am just getting too old to have to stand in over crowded, loud cramped clubs standing in one place for 2 hours while he pisses around getting ready to play and then shows up and does like Chi town and basically plays the medley from the NAACP award show, where I only knew Housequake, The Jam and Satisfied. So three songs for about $175.00 in tickets for the two of us. Maybe I should just be 'satisfied" with getting to see him up close and in an intimate setting, which is worth a piece of that fee.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/17/12 12:57am

riocoolnes

avatar

4everyours said:

My wife and I had the good fortune to be able to attend the third Chicago show as well as the aftershow at HOB. I have attended maybe about 4 or 5 aftershows and have heard and or seen on CD/VHS/DVD other aftershows and several weeks after the excitment of the Chicago aftershow I was thinking of weather or not a lot of these shows generate more excitment about being "in the know" about the show, or maybe seeing him in an intimate setting and posible so close and less about what kind or performance or experience the whole thing is. And I say that based on a few reasons and I am not bashing at all. I am very greatful that I am a fan of a musician who has the ability to do a full arena concert and then the chops to do another club performance but here is some of the things I have found that I walk away feeling, good and bad

- Usually stuck standing, squeezed in like sardines, left standing for a crazy amount of time, barely able to breath and with my back killing me

- The experience of him coming out and then playing nothing but a bunch of covers

- Giving giving the stage away for wayyy too long to others. Rememebr the days of the Steeles, Mavis Staples, etc. And for me in Chi town it was a wayy too long version of Shelby singing Brownnnnnn Skin. Then he abruptly left without a word and we were left with another too long performance by Janelle Monae.

- Now I do have copies of aftershows that are the F-ing bomb. But for me, those are shows where he actually sings Prince songs that are maybe a bit obscure for the casual fan but for you and me it would be huge to hear, I don't know, Lady Can Driver, Automatic, Play in the Sunshine, whatever. Things that we all know but have either never or have not heard live for a long time.

So yes, Prince, I thank you and/or God for your musical gifts and sharing them with us, your great showmanship and it has kept me very entertained for 30 years but I am just amazed and maybe perplexed by some of the huge swings as well as hassles regarding aftershows. Again, no bashing, just curious if anyone else has had similar feelings or maybe I am just getting too old to have to stand in over crowded, loud cramped clubs standing in one place for 2 hours while he pisses around getting ready to play and then shows up and does like Chi town and basically plays the medley from the NAACP award show, where I only knew Housequake, The Jam and Satisfied. So three songs for about $175.00 in tickets for the two of us. Maybe I should just be 'satisfied" with getting to see him up close and in an intimate setting, which is worth a piece of that fee.

The medley from NAACP award show a few years ago (maybe more than a few) was great though haha. But if it only lasted 10-20 min not worth it. id expect for a 100 dollar after party like the one in chicago atleast 1hr of Prince and some dj or andy allo or something of that nature. Also, keeping in perspective the price for the concert ticket was a 102 dollars and i got 2:36 min tuesday and 1:45 min wednesday. so being so close to prince and in an intimate setting id say 1 hr of him sounds about right for a 100 bucks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/17/12 1:03am

4everyours

riocoolnes said:

4everyours said:

My wife and I had the good fortune to be able to attend the third Chicago show as well as the aftershow at HOB. I have attended maybe about 4 or 5 aftershows and have heard and or seen on CD/VHS/DVD other aftershows and several weeks after the excitment of the Chicago aftershow I was thinking of weather or not a lot of these shows generate more excitment about being "in the know" about the show, or maybe seeing him in an intimate setting and posible so close and less about what kind or performance or experience the whole thing is. And I say that based on a few reasons and I am not bashing at all. I am very greatful that I am a fan of a musician who has the ability to do a full arena concert and then the chops to do another club performance but here is some of the things I have found that I walk away feeling, good and bad

- Usually stuck standing, squeezed in like sardines, left standing for a crazy amount of time, barely able to breath and with my back killing me

- The experience of him coming out and then playing nothing but a bunch of covers

- Giving giving the stage away for wayyy too long to others. Rememebr the days of the Steeles, Mavis Staples, etc. And for me in Chi town it was a wayy too long version of Shelby singing Brownnnnnn Skin. Then he abruptly left without a word and we were left with another too long performance by Janelle Monae.

- Now I do have copies of aftershows that are the F-ing bomb. But for me, those are shows where he actually sings Prince songs that are maybe a bit obscure for the casual fan but for you and me it would be huge to hear, I don't know, Lady Can Driver, Automatic, Play in the Sunshine, whatever. Things that we all know but have either never or have not heard live for a long time.

So yes, Prince, I thank you and/or God for your musical gifts and sharing them with us, your great showmanship and it has kept me very entertained for 30 years but I am just amazed and maybe perplexed by some of the huge swings as well as hassles regarding aftershows. Again, no bashing, just curious if anyone else has had similar feelings or maybe I am just getting too old to have to stand in over crowded, loud cramped clubs standing in one place for 2 hours while he pisses around getting ready to play and then shows up and does like Chi town and basically plays the medley from the NAACP award show, where I only knew Housequake, The Jam and Satisfied. So three songs for about $175.00 in tickets for the two of us. Maybe I should just be 'satisfied" with getting to see him up close and in an intimate setting, which is worth a piece of that fee.

The medley from NAACP award show a few years ago (maybe more than a few) was great though haha. But if it only lasted 10-20 min not worth it. id expect for a 100 dollar after party like the one in chicago atleast 1hr of Prince and some dj or andy allo or something of that nature. Also, keeping in perspective the price for the concert ticket was a 102 dollars and i got 2:36 min tuesday and 1:45 min wednesday. so being so close to prince and in an intimate setting id say 1 hr of him sounds about right for a 100 bucks.

To be fair to Prince, he was on stage for longer than 15-20 mintues but it was usually in a very minor supporting role. I don't believe he even brought a guitar to the show that night. So he would be on stage, except for the Jenelle Monae set, but just strutting around with his cane. So yes, it was longer than I made it seem but just not with enough direct Prince performance following a long wait and a pretty good price tag. And yes, I know, third night in a row and maybe heading out of town right after but so what.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/17/12 1:25am

riocoolnes

avatar

4everyours said:

riocoolnes said:

The medley from NAACP award show a few years ago (maybe more than a few) was great though haha. But if it only lasted 10-20 min not worth it. id expect for a 100 dollar after party like the one in chicago atleast 1hr of Prince and some dj or andy allo or something of that nature. Also, keeping in perspective the price for the concert ticket was a 102 dollars and i got 2:36 min tuesday and 1:45 min wednesday. so being so close to prince and in an intimate setting id say 1 hr of him sounds about right for a 100 bucks.

To be fair to Prince, he was on stage for longer than 15-20 mintues but it was usually in a very minor supporting role. I don't believe he even brought a guitar to the show that night. So he would be on stage, except for the Jenelle Monae set, but just strutting around with his cane. So yes, it was longer than I made it seem but just not with enough direct Prince performance following a long wait and a pretty good price tag. And yes, I know, third night in a row and maybe heading out of town right after but so what.

True but Janelle Monae is well known also.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/17/12 2:36am

udo

avatar

4everyours said:

- Usually stuck standing, squeezed in like sardines, left standing for a crazy amount of time, barely able to breath and with my back killing me

Haha!

It all depends.

In Cannes 2010 I was sitting during the whole show.

In the 2002 Paris aftershows as well.

In 2007 I stood during all 12 aftershows I attended, though the 21st I had a balcony seat.

2010: Brussels was standing but plenty of rails for support. Kopenhagen was standing.

2011: Kopenhagen was standing.

So you need to practice. Aching comes from weak muscles.

About the hysteria: is it less in Europe?

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/17/12 2:45am

4everyours

udo said:

4everyours said:

- Usually stuck standing, squeezed in like sardines, left standing for a crazy amount of time, barely able to breath and with my back killing me

Haha!

It all depends.

In Cannes 2010 I was sitting during the whole show.

In the 2002 Paris aftershows as well.

In 2007 I stood during all 12 aftershows I attended, though the 21st I had a balcony seat.

2010: Brussels was standing but plenty of rails for support. Kopenhagen was standing.

2011: Kopenhagen was standing.

So you need to practice. Aching comes from weak muscles.

About the hysteria: is it less in Europe?

LOL, thanks for the advice. I will go into training mode prior to the next possible aftershow!! Work that core out a bit to get prepared. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/17/12 3:14am

Dimitri10

Could be worse, you could stand in line for hours and there may be not even be a show at all - Melbourne Hi-fi 2012 - legs, back, and lack of sleep the next day was painful.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/17/12 4:20am

udo

avatar

Dimitri10 said:

Could be worse, you could stand in line for hours and there may be not even be a show at all

You need good info to begin with.

Also a good condition of the body.

Next is some preparedness: bring food, drinks, etc.

Do not forget the cash. (cards and PIN etc are overrated in aftershow scenarios)

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/17/12 9:43am

SuperSoulFight
er

EVERYTHING was right when I saw him in the Melkweg in Amsterdam last year. Standing in line for an entire day was allright because it was summer (not a very hot one) and the atmosphere was so cool you could move in and out ot the line to use the toilet or get food & everybody was chatting with everybody.
Once inside I was close to the stage with no tall people in front of me the wait was not that long and Prince hit the stage almost immediately. No hour-long opening act by Shelby like the night before!
And then he opened with What's My Name!!! And that was only the beginning. He played Chocolate and Mutiny. And Kiss in a way you never heared it before.
This night was a dream come true. So yes, thank U, Prince. headbang worship
If y'ain't got enough soul, let me know! I'll loan you some! Got enough soul to burn!
(James Brown)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/17/12 10:10am

rdhull

avatar

Reading about such shows in Rolling Stones years before and as blurbs in the same magazine, I was more and more intrigued with the after show experience. Since then, Prince has had countless after-shows and club dates. Club dates are just as fulfilling as after-shows because of the intimacy and the likelihood of different material played as well as his playfulness during them. Hell, the famed Purple Rain recording session may be the most heralded club date ever, which again was posted in Rolling Stone’s random notes section.

The after-show or club dates have been the best shows for me as a Prince fan. From seeing him at his own Glam Slam club, to HOB shows and Nokia shows, they have always proven to be the best forum to witness the greatest living musician do his thing. When I see him do these shows I am reminded of what it must have been like to see Hendrix, Zeppelin, Miles, and others. Because at the after-show and club date is where he really becomes inspired and transcends from being just a performer but to something that should be witnessed by anyone with eyes or ears.

There’s always the good and bad to these shows as anyone who has attended can attest to. You know how he always asks you to clap? I always think, "how can I clap when we are all bunched up together like sardines? I can barely get my arms up as I am packed tightly to each side of me." Plus a lot of people have been in line for hours. I don’t want their underarms exposed lol. I will end up clapping like a seal with my forearms close together.

You begin to do an equation breakdown of exactly what you will do tomorrow: what time you will get up, how much sleep time will be left for you before you have to get up. You begin to analyze what exactly to do the next day by the hour to get you on track. All while the funk rock jazz is sizzling onstage.
And your feet. Oh, your feet. They began to ache hours ago but then they either took a reprieve from the ache or you got used to the ache. Either way, you swear next time you will wear sensible shoes and fashion be damned to hell.

It can be 2 in the morning Sunday Christmas day when he comes on but when he does you just resign yourself to forget all of the rest…the work that’s due, the feet aching, the bad early morning breathe, the yearning for a Gatorade or a bottled water, because you are figuring that while others are snuggled up in their blankets with visions of sugar plumb faeries dancing in their dreams, you are witnessing a secret society of sorts. At the same time you are wishing that all of your friends and family could see you at this moment and what is happening on stage but then it is also something that is special enough to warrant only something to be written about and spoken about in later stories. A you had to be there experience that some folks just will never understand or be able to fully appreciate. Sort of like boot-camp. Because that’s what it is like. You have to have stamina, be in shape, because you are working just a much as Prince is up there. It took a lot for you to get here but after you get to see the show and whatever move he made or song he played, you feel like you did 150 reps or 150 pushups.

You zone in on him, leaving everything to the fates as it is a special moment with god knows what being played fantastically.And no matter what time it is, no matter how late and how tired you may be, he comes out with the energy that it’s only 1 p.m. to him. You think, "did he just wake up and hour ago or has he been up all day?" Either way, with all of this, he seems to feed off of us sweating, hungry, tired, wilted audience members. It must be an awesome spectacle to witness from his side of the stage. I think we do the same. We feed off of his inspiration and what we have been through to be /get here. I dare say one should avoid the regular concert and focus on getting tickets for whatever happens after. Go to the after-show. Get a nap. Get some food. Get some nourishment. Get a work out in the day before. It’s worth a lifetime of performances.

Roger Ebert:rest in peace
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/17/12 10:38am

Genesia

avatar

rdhull said:

Reading about such shows in Rolling Stones years before and as blurbs in the same magazine, I was more and more intrigued with the after show experience. Since then, Prince has had countless after-shows and club dates. Club dates are just as fulfilling as after-shows because of the intimacy and the likelihood of different material played as well as his playfulness during them. Hell, the famed Purple Rain recording session may be the most heralded club date ever, which again was posted in Rolling Stone’s random notes section.

The after-show or club dates have been the best shows for me as a Prince fan. From seeing him at his own Glam Slam club, to HOB shows and Nokia shows, they have always proven to be the best forum to witness the greatest living musician do his thing. When I see him do these shows I am reminded of what it must have been like to see Hendrix, Zeppelin, Miles, and others. Because at the after-show and club date is where he really becomes inspired and transcends from being just a performer but to something that should be witnessed by anyone with eyes or ears.

There’s always the good and bad to these shows as anyone who has attended can attest to. You know how he always asks you to clap? I always think, "how can I clap when we are all bunched up together like sardines? I can barely get my arms up as I am packed tightly to each side of me." Plus a lot of people have been in line for hours. I don’t want their underarms exposed lol. I will end up clapping like a seal with my forearms close together.

You begin to do an equation breakdown of exactly what you will do tomorrow: what time you will get up, how much sleep time will be left for you before you have to get up. You begin to analyze what exactly to do the next day by the hour to get you on track. All while the funk rock jazz is sizzling onstage.
And your feet. Oh, your feet. They began to ache hours ago but then they either took a reprieve from the ache or you got used to the ache. Either way, you swear next time you will wear sensible shoes and fashion be damned to hell.

It can be 2 in the morning Sunday Christmas day when he comes on but when he does you just resign yourself to forget all of the rest…the work that’s due, the feet aching, the bad early morning breathe, the yearning for a Gatorade or a bottled water, because you are figuring that while others are snuggled up in their blankets with visions of sugar plumb faeries dancing in their dreams, you are witnessing a secret society of sorts. At the same time you are wishing that all of your friends and family could see you at this moment and what is happening on stage but then it is also something that is special enough to warrant only something to be written about and spoken about in later stories. A you had to be there experience that some folks just will never understand or be able to fully appreciate. Sort of like boot-camp. Because that’s what it is like. You have to have stamina, be in shape, because you are working just a much as Prince is up there. It took a lot for you to get here but after you get to see the show and whatever move he made or song he played, you feel like you did 150 reps or 150 pushups.

You zone in on him, leaving everything to the fates as it is a special moment with god knows what being played fantastically.And no matter what time it is, no matter how late and how tired you may be, he comes out with the energy that it’s only 1 p.m. to him. You think, "did he just wake up and hour ago or has he been up all day?" Either way, with all of this, he seems to feed off of us sweating, hungry, tired, wilted audience members. It must be an awesome spectacle to witness from his side of the stage. I think we do the same. We feed off of his inspiration and what we have been through to be /get here. I dare say one should avoid the regular concert and focus on getting tickets for whatever happens after. Go to the after-show. Get a nap. Get some food. Get some nourishment. Get a work out in the day before. It’s worth a lifetime of performances.

This. A thousand times, this.

I mean if he did have sex he would break every rule Jehova's have regarding premarital sex so Prince is really just friends with them all anyway.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/17/12 2:46pm

Fonkyman

4everyours said:

I don't know, Lady Can Driver,

I don't know that one either.

Rod hit the nail on the head really. The afters are the stuff of legend. Some better than others, granted. If you offered me 5 tickets to main shows or one ticket to an afters I'd take the afters. Every day of the week.... Of course, I'd buy myself a couple of main show tickets anyway. Gotta check these things out. wink

"It's an energy exchange, isn't that right?"

[Edited 12/17/12 14:53pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/17/12 2:55pm

unique

avatar

i bought 42 tickets for myself to the o2 shows alone just to get to see aftershows, and every aftershow appearance i experienced was amazing. i'd rather hear covers than hear the same songs played at main shows. i want him to play what he wants to play, not what he thinks the audience want to hear, as that's what gives the best performance, when he does what he wants to do

few other artists do anything like what he does. an aftershow is a special thing for fans

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/17/12 3:05pm

robertgeorgeak
abob

i went to opening night of nude in rotterdam. as part of the trip we were supposed to get into the aftershow., which never materialised. anyone remember that weirdo conman chris dawson?

my first and only aftershow was the bagley's sacrifice of victor malarkey. it was heaving in there, sweat was dripping off the ceiling and he didn't come on til daft o'clock.

apart from hearing the ride debut and the undertaker it was a shambles. too much steeles, gameboyz, etc.

88 that was the year for aftershows!

don't play me...i'm over 30 and i DO smoke weed....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/17/12 3:46pm

Fonkyman

robertgeorgeakabob said:

88 that was the year for aftershows!

Yeah, and '87 (New Morning) and I have to say, some of those Indigo afters were the absolute unadulterated shaved bollocks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/17/12 5:20pm

motherfunka

When the aftershows started in the 80s, it was usually a last minute thing. That went on through the early 90s. It added a whole lot of excitement not knowing if your city was going to get one or not. I only saw a few true aftershows, the aftershow for a Jan 92 Glam Slam gig at Paisley Park (the one with TTD in attendance), the Act I aftershow at Cabaret Metro in Chicago, and the JOTY and Musicology aftershows at Paisley Park. The JOTY ones were ruined by Larry G. I think a lot of excitement was lost when they became rehearsed, planned, tickets sold, and no more new music was previewed. I'd much rather see a main show now, than an aftershow.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/18/12 3:37pm

philmoreliz

Bar None in Vancouver a year ago yesterday was uncomfortable but exciting. It was a tiny crowd and we were propping each other up akin to the subway at rush hour. Prince did not come onstage until almost three. Prince had his back to us and mostly played bass. No matter; it was like being a witness to a private moment. He was so close, practically under my armpit a few times.

The HOB shows in Chicago were good, well, the Tuesday show was great, but they felt more staged. At Bar None, he did not want to stop. That was the difference.

Philmoreliz
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/20/12 4:36pm

b3xy

avatar

I was lucky enough to experience some of the Indigo aftershows in 2007 and imo they were amazing and I am super grateful I got to experience them. Inparticular the New Power Trio night on the 28th August comes to mind or the last night when he came on relatively early and played most the night. By the end of the 21 Nights in London I was only going to the afterparties the mainshows became repetitive whereas at the afterparties he played a variety of other songs. Though admittedly some nights he didnt play and we had to listen to the NPG for a couple of hours but I'd personally pay to see them anyway so I honestly didnt mind that.

With Love there is no Death
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/20/12 11:47pm

rgsince81

avatar

3121 Vegas after shows were the best.
[Edited 12/20/12 23:49pm]
Pray Daily!!!!! RIP AMY WINEHOUSE Keep Calm, Carry on
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/21/12 3:16am

udo

avatar

rgsince81 said:

3121 Vegas after shows were the best.

That's always true with shows you attended.

So what shows did you compare them with?

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/21/12 9:05am

rgsince81

avatar

udo said:



rgsince81 said:


3121 Vegas after shows were the best.


That's always true with shows you attended.


So what shows did you compare them with?


30 years worth of shows, and after shows, starting at Flippers in 1981, My book will be out soon, read it, lol! Ask stupid questions after,
Pray Daily!!!!! RIP AMY WINEHOUSE Keep Calm, Carry on
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/21/12 10:10am

udo

avatar

rgsince81 said:

udo said:

So what shows did you compare them with?

30 years worth of shows, and after shows, starting at Flippers in 1981, My book will be out soon, read it, lol! Ask stupid questions after,

If asking for context is thought of as stupid the context says plenty.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/22/12 4:35am

rgsince81

avatar

udo said:



rgsince81 said:


udo said:

So what shows did you compare them with?



30 years worth of shows, and after shows, starting at Flippers in 1981, My book will be out soon, read it, lol! Ask stupid questions after,


If asking for context is thought of as stupid the context says plenty.


Well maybe I stated my answer incorrectly, I met to say that's a stupid question, my book will be out soon, my bad lol!
[Edited 12/22/12 4:37am]
Pray Daily!!!!! RIP AMY WINEHOUSE Keep Calm, Carry on
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/22/12 5:44am

udo

avatar

rgsince81 said:

udo said:

If asking for context is thought of as stupid the context says plenty.

Well maybe I stated my answer incorrectly, I met to say that's a stupid question, my book will be out soon, my bad lol!

Any previews to be had and/or read?

Any info on the book is welcome!

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/23/12 5:28am

ecnirp98

Dimitri10 said:

Could be worse, you could stand in line for hours and there may be not even be a show at all - Melbourne Hi-fi 2012 - legs, back, and lack of sleep the next day was painful.

I bought tickets for 2 aftershows in 2007 at the O2 Indigo and Prince/the band never played either, I was annoyed as these tickets were sold at the time as aftershows (I bought with main concert tickets on opening sale), everyone in the Prince world knows what an aftershow is, these were later billed as 'after parties' I believe.

I got a refund as I complained afterwards, but this was a marketing exercise to make money out of the fans, Prince and his people would have known he would not play at every Indigo night but billed it as such.

[Edited 12/23/12 5:29am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/03/13 9:08am

IRISHFAN

ecnirp98 said:

Dimitri10 said:

Could be worse, you could stand in line for hours and there may be not even be a show at all - Melbourne Hi-fi 2012 - legs, back, and lack of sleep the next day was painful.

I bought tickets for 2 aftershows in 2007 at the O2 Indigo and Prince/the band never played either, I was annoyed as these tickets were sold at the time as aftershows (I bought with main concert tickets on opening sale), everyone in the Prince world knows what an aftershow is, these were later billed as 'after parties' I believe.

I got a refund as I complained afterwards, but this was a marketing exercise to make money out of the fans, Prince and his people would have known he would not play at every Indigo night but billed it as such.

[Edited 12/23/12 5:29am]

For God Sake, those aftershow or afterparty tickets were crazy cheap, appox £25 if I remember correctly. I'd say something if you paid £100 and he never played, but £25? Come on! I attended 2 - one he didnt plan and the second (21st) he certainly did!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/03/13 10:54am

bobzilla77

I've seen one aftershow (LA House Of Blues in '04 when Wendy Melvoin showed up) and one small club gig that was not "after" another gig (at Sayers Club a few months ago), and always look forward to the reports from other cities.

My two cents, it seems necessary to shake off any expectations you might have before going in. P may not be on stage the whole time and he may not play much you've heard before. The music might be white hot, or it might be un-together. It may not last very long or might go on for hours. There's no way to tell.

That's a hard pill to swallow when you're thinking about spending a lot of money on tickets or especially travelling. If the risk doesn't seem worth it, don't go. If you were gonna put yourself there, and the possibility of Prince not playing or even not playing a great set is too terrifying, just let it go. There is definitely a possibility of being disappointed. But there's also the possibility of something truly special.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/03/13 3:42pm

ecnirp98

IRISHFAN said:

ecnirp98 said:

I bought tickets for 2 aftershows in 2007 at the O2 Indigo and Prince/the band never played either, I was annoyed as these tickets were sold at the time as aftershows (I bought with main concert tickets on opening sale), everyone in the Prince world knows what an aftershow is, these were later billed as 'after parties' I believe.

I got a refund as I complained afterwards, but this was a marketing exercise to make money out of the fans, Prince and his people would have known he would not play at every Indigo night but billed it as such.

[Edited 12/23/12 5:29am]

For God Sake, those aftershow or afterparty tickets were crazy cheap, appox £25 if I remember correctly. I'd say something if you paid £100 and he never played, but £25? Come on! I attended 2 - one he didnt plan and the second (21st) he certainly did!

£25 isn't cheap for nothing, stood in a half empty club/bar after waiting outside for an hour, then trying to get back to central London when you give up on any performance at 2am costs a packet in a taxi fair as there is no tube running, then you got a hotel in London to stay at ..... not cheap at all.

If they sold it as an aftershow, Prince should have played, if he was gonna choose when he played, only sell tickets for aftershows he plays. Its like buying tickets to a Prince gig, you expect Prince to play if the tickets are £31.21 or over £100, you still expect a gig.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/04/13 1:51am

unique

avatar

ecnirp98 said:

IRISHFAN said:

For God Sake, those aftershow or afterparty tickets were crazy cheap, appox £25 if I remember correctly. I'd say something if you paid £100 and he never played, but £25? Come on! I attended 2 - one he didnt plan and the second (21st) he certainly did!

£25 isn't cheap for nothing, stood in a half empty club/bar after waiting outside for an hour, then trying to get back to central London when you give up on any performance at 2am costs a packet in a taxi fair as there is no tube running, then you got a hotel in London to stay at ..... not cheap at all.

If they sold it as an aftershow, Prince should have played, if he was gonna choose when he played, only sell tickets for aftershows he plays. Its like buying tickets to a Prince gig, you expect Prince to play if the tickets are £31.21 or over £100, you still expect a gig.

but they did tell people from the start that prince wasn't going to play the aftershows every night, that the band would play and prince would play if he felt like it. and that's the thing, there are times where he was going to play and then changed his mind, and other times like when they announced mid tour that he was unlikely to play an aftershow if there was a main gig the next day, and that very night he played an aftershow even though he had a gig the next day. in the end he played most aftershows so the odds were good and all the ones i saw that he played more than made up for the few he didn't play. and having tickets in advance and the venues together made everything a lot easier than the old days of running about and looking out for rumours etc

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/04/13 2:42pm

ecnirp98

unique said:

ecnirp98 said:

£25 isn't cheap for nothing, stood in a half empty club/bar after waiting outside for an hour, then trying to get back to central London when you give up on any performance at 2am costs a packet in a taxi fair as there is no tube running, then you got a hotel in London to stay at ..... not cheap at all.

If they sold it as an aftershow, Prince should have played, if he was gonna choose when he played, only sell tickets for aftershows he plays. Its like buying tickets to a Prince gig, you expect Prince to play if the tickets are £31.21 or over £100, you still expect a gig.

but they did tell people from the start that prince wasn't going to play the aftershows every night, that the band would play and prince would play if he felt like it. and that's the thing, there are times where he was going to play and then changed his mind, and other times like when they announced mid tour that he was unlikely to play an aftershow if there was a main gig the next day, and that very night he played an aftershow even though he had a gig the next day. in the end he played most aftershows so the odds were good and all the ones i saw that he played more than made up for the few he didn't play. and having tickets in advance and the venues together made everything a lot easier than the old days of running about and looking out for rumours etc

But they didn't tell people from the start he would not play aftershows, I bought my tickets the morning they want on sale on Ticketmaster UK, they were sold as aftershow's, later on after lots of tickets were sold they changed to 'afterpartys', they were sold as aftershows and as such should have been, with Prince playing, not being able to change on a whim on the day.

What if the main concerts were sold for 21 nights as concerts, then you get 20,000 people in the O2 everynight, and at 20:55 Prince decided if he fancied it that night or not, so he played 10 nights, sent the band on their own for 6 nights and the other 5 nights sent a crappy DJ out to play tracks for 2 hours, how would that go down? exactly the same thing happened with the aftershows. Prince and his team thought the hardcore fans would buy aftershow tickets whatever, and if he played, its a bonus for them, if he didn't, they'd be happy to just to have the chance and maybe see the (very average) backing band.

I could only get too 2 O2 gigs, due to work/family commitments and I live 250 miles from London, one a normal seat, the other VIP at £250 (to guarantee at least 1 good concert view) and I purchased 2 aftershow tickets for the same nights, meaning I had to pay hotels and transport from the O2 back to London in the early hours.

The first night we queued outside the Indigo for an hour, went in, nothing happened, then we were told Prince or the band would not be playing as Prince had gone downtown partying with P Diddy,so we were stuck in a crap club with rubbish music at the O2, so we left and went to central London.

The second night I went, the band played about 1 hour from 1am, Prince was rumoured to be in the back (a few people saw him at the side), but he decided he didn't want to come out, that was even more annoying as he was there, if he would have come out and just done 1 song, or just played guitar/piano for 5 minutes, a thousand fans would have been made up and really appreciated it, doesn't take allot, I was really disappointed, mainly with his attitude as I took a friend and really sold it to her how great his gigs were.

If Prince/management knew he'd not play an aftershow if there was a main gig the next day, why sell 21 aftershows? they should have just arranged 10-15 aftershows, that suited Prince's schedule/rest time and said he plays, buy ya tickets, then the fans get what they want and don't feel conned, just means Prince and his team won't get £50K a night wahtever they do for the aftershows ......

I've been to Prince gigs, since 1986, seen him on all the UK tours, went to Holland SOTT gigs when he pulled out of Wembley, went to Opening night for Lovesexy in Paris and Nude Rotterdam with the Revolution Club (whatever happened to Chris & Eileen???), I went to the Controversy Convention in 1991 in Mineapolis, its not allot to ask for Prince to be straight and honest with his fans, and make abit of an effort when he can.

Still like his music, will goto his gigs and have fun, but he can be an idiot seeing how he cancels gigs quite often, shuts down his fan websites after taking membership money, doesn't pay his bills and likes to sue others for playing his music/videos on the web, he doesn't help himself to get back into mainstream popularity, while he treats the fans that stuck by him like this, it will be an ever dwindling fanbase he has left to milk .....

So, my message is, if you have a chance at an aftershow, I'd go for it, just be aware that there's no guarantee you will get anything and you maybe just wasting your money, but if he plays, you'll have a great time, just don't pay too much as there are no guarantee's with Prince.

[Edited 1/4/13 14:45pm]

[Edited 1/4/13 15:03pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Concerts > Thouhgts on Aftershows