independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 23rd Apr 2014 3:06am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Concerts > Melbourne Age on mobile phone bans
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/15/12 2:52pm

Eyasha

Melbourne Age on mobile phone bans

Punters defy Prince ban on pictures

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/punters-defy-prince-ban-on-pictures-20120515-1yooz.html

Annie Davis
May 15, 2012 - 5:49PM

Punters at last night's Prince concert in Melbourne have thumbed their noses and their mobile phones at his ban on cameras at his live shows.

The pop star insists media distribute only Prince-approved images and footage of his live shows but those purple walls are now crumbling in the face of guerrilla video footage now available online.

Several videos of Prince's show at Rod Laver Arena last night have already been uploaded to Youtube, featuring Prince performing hits Kiss, Cool and a version of Purple Rain almost 15 minutes long.

The videos emerged on YouTube while media awaited the release of official photos taken by Prince's own photographer and personally approved by 'The Purple One' himself.

Media outlets were told official images would be provided by 1am today but were not made available until 7am.

Kylie Northover, who reviewed the concert for The Age, said security at Rod Laver Arena did not check bags or confiscate devices but ushers were seen shining torches in the face of anyone taking footage with their mobile phones.

The videos of last night's Melbourne concert add to a growing library of unauthorised footage of Prince's Australian tour on YouTube, including clips of Prince performing at Sydney's Allphones Arena and his "secret" after-party show with Seal and rapper Flava Flav at the Ivy.

YouTube users took their own footage at the Sydney arena show despite threats from security to seize devices from anyone seen recording unauthorised footage. “There were signs all over the arena as well as a big brother style voice-over warning that cameras and phones would be confiscated if a caught taking photos”, a reviewer for MusicFeeds.com.au commented.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/15/12 4:26pm

XxAxX

avatar

uh oh. prince gonna be mad. don't make that mistake people! don't make him mad! no more candy for you! put the damn phones away, sit down, and NO TALKING during the shows. sorry but that's how it is and don't makemetellyouagain

thank you, that is all. neutral

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/15/12 5:02pm

callimnate

avatar

FMD.

Its ALWAYS been the case that you cant take photos or record shows.

But everyone still does it.

Slow news day.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/15/12 5:35pm

united1878

At last night's show (Tues 15th) he told everyone to get out their phones, turns the phones' lights on and got all the stage lights off and we saw a sea of waving lights from the crowd.

cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/15/12 5:50pm

vegasE

AT the Ivy, at one point near the end, everyone was brazenly holding up their phones filming him play - especially during the solos. Security was not saying or doing anything.

I will admit i took a few pics - 5 in total but only 1 is clear. I did not take any vids (even though i do regret it). Mainly because, i was there to experience Prince live and up close, and didnt want to watch him through a phone screen.

You can see a moment in one of the vids (ICNTTPOUM) where during a solo as he moves closer to where the camera/phone is, he looks up, makes a face at the camera - then he makes some sort of gesture like - "get that phone outta my face".

But i must say, security was only there for one reason.....not for Prince, or safety, or unauthorised vids/pics, but to save a spot up front for Justin and his bitch cronies.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/15/12 9:46pm

dnikkiadore

avatar

vegasE said:

AT the Ivy, at one point near the end, everyone was brazenly holding up their phones filming him play - especially during the solos. Security was not saying or doing anything.

I will admit i took a few pics - 5 in total but only 1 is clear. I did not take any vids (even though i do regret it). Mainly because, i was there to experience Prince live and up close, and didnt want to watch him through a phone screen.

You can see a moment in one of the vids (ICNTTPOUM) where during a solo as he moves closer to where the camera/phone is, he looks up, makes a face at the camera - then he makes some sort of gesture like - "get that phone outta my face".

But i must say, security was only there for one reason.....not for Prince, or safety, or unauthorised vids/pics, but to save a spot up front for Justin and his bitch cronies.

This is so true. i was right next to Justin and his Girlfriend..by the time they came to join the shhow they were pissed.. and having their bar staff bring trays of drinks to them that they were sitting on the stage right next to the PA's. the security did not blink once at al the cameras and phones..couldnt care less..As soon As P put his sunglasses on I knew this was going to end badly. Such disrespect from a venue owner...with him and all this posse holding their own private party infront of the stage..

they made it so hard for us to have a good experience (after we had stood their for hours) as they all just swanned up to the front, obsucirng our views and acting like drunk/drugged idiots. Hemmes Girlfriend was the main offender... u wouldnt believe it if i told u how she was acting. mad punching machinegun

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/15/12 11:16pm

rafael

avatar

people please take pictures and recordings to complete my library!!!....biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/16/12 1:13am

udo

avatar

Nothing to see here, please move on.

lock
.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/16/12 2:13am

vegasE

rafael said:

people please take pictures and recordings to complete my library!!!....biggrin


Face it, that library is never going to be complete, is it?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/16/12 3:10am

udo

avatar

vegasE said:

rafael said:

people please take pictures and recordings to complete my library!!!....biggrin

Face it, that library is never going to be complete, is it?

Percent-wise we are getting closer and closer...
.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/16/12 4:30pm

Rustyrek

avatar

vegasE said:

i was there to experience Prince live and up close, and didnt want to watch him through a phone screen.

Good comment and I 100% agree. I can't believe how many people experience concerts looking through their phone screen. Isn't it better to experience it live than on a video later on?

Some people are even rude enough to hold it above their heads to film, blocking the view of people behind them. I've given people a rev before about that one.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/16/12 5:21pm

Eyasha

Rustyrek said:

vegasE said:

i was there to experience Prince live and up close, and didnt want to watch him through a phone screen.

Good comment and I 100% agree. I can't believe how many people experience concerts looking through their phone screen. Isn't it better to experience it live than on a video later on?

Some people are even rude enough to hold it above their heads to film, blocking the view of people behind them. I've given people a rev before about that one.

I agree. While people are framing a photo they are editing OUT much of the live experience. They are waiting for Prince to do what will fit in with their idea of a "great" pic rather than taking in everything that is actually going on.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/17/12 12:32am

udo

avatar

Eyasha said:

I agree. While people are framing a photo they are editing OUT much of the live experience. They are waiting for Prince to do what will fit in with their idea of a "great" pic rather than taking in everything that is actually going on.

Since when do photo's, pictures capture audio, music?

What is prince trying the most to produce?

Visually interesting situations?

Or nice music?

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/17/12 1:27am

vegasE

udo said:



Eyasha said:


I agree. While people are framing a photo they are editing OUT much of the live experience. They are waiting for Prince to do what will fit in with their idea of a "great" pic rather than taking in everything that is actually going on.




Since when do photo's, pictures capture audio, music?


What is prince trying the most to produce?


Visually interesting situations?


Or nice music?



He best go home if he's just aiming for "nice" music.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/04/12 2:12am

evolution69

Some people were live streaming pics from the show on the SnapReplay Phone App.

Google: "snap replay live prince"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Concerts > Melbourne Age on mobile phone bans