independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 19th Aug 2018 5:11am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman opens 1 year after Charlottesville
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/07/18 6:14am

poppys

Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman opens 1 year after Charlottesville



Really good interview last night.


“We wanted people to understand that history repeats itself, and I feel we’re in a very tumultuous time,” Spike Lee tells NBC News’ Lester Holt of his new film, set in the ‘70s, about a black cop who managed to infiltrate the KKK. Aug.06.2018


https://www.nbcnews.com/n...3410883522


‘BlacKkKlansman’: Real-Life Ron Stallworth Says David Duke Was Concerned About His Portrayal



https://deadline.com/2018...02441281/


screen-shot-2018-08-06-at-3-41-30-pm.png?w=446&h=299&crop=1

Based on a true story, Spike Lee’s forthcoming BlacKkKlansman follows John David Washington’s Ron Stallworth, the first Black Colorado Springs officer who successfully went undercover to infiltrate the Ku Klux Klan, ultimately becoming the leader of its local chapter and gaining the trust of Grand Wizard David Duke (Topher Grace). Lester Holt interviewed the real-life Stallworth tonight’s NBC Nightly News and he shared an interesting conversation that he recently had with the Grand Wizard-turned-politician.

[Edited 8/7/18 8:26am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/07/18 6:58am

Musicslave

I look forward to seeing this. Spike cracks me up in that interview. John David Washington looks like his mom btw.

-

I'm glad Spike ends it with the mayhem from Charlottesville. He got permission from Heather Heyer's mom to show the actual footage of cause of death.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/07/18 7:05am

poppys

Musicslave said:

I look forward to seeing this. Spike cracks me up in that interview. John David Washington looks like his mom btw.

-

I'm glad Spike ends it with the mayhem from Charlottesville. He got permission from Heather Heyer's mom to show the actual footage of cause of death.


Wow, that is disturbing but good. She is a brave like Emmett Till's mom was. rose


 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/07/18 7:40am

2elijah

avatar

Just found out a few days ago that this was a true story. I am going to see this.
FEARLESS
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/07/18 8:02am

Silvertongue7

poppys said:



Musicslave said:


I look forward to seeing this. Spike cracks me up in that interview. John David Washington looks like his mom btw.


-


I'm glad Spike ends it with the mayhem from Charlottesville. He got permission from Heather Heyer's mom to show the actual footage of cause of death.




Wow, that is disturbing but good. She is a brave like Emmett Till's mom was. rose



Is this the bit where Mary Don’t You Weep plays? I’ve been very critical of the estate for their choice of release, but I can see how powerful that song could be over this footage. I will be watching this too.
Someone's in my body, someone's in my body...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/07/18 8:24am

poppys

Can't wait to see this film. Just like Do the Right Thing, summer of '89. Spike was in a good mood in that interview, he was cackling that Duke was interested enough in (himself) in the movie to reach out, cracked Spike up. White Supremacists be vain. lol He had plastic surgery too. They booted him out of the Klan for ripping them off. You can't make this stuff up.

wiki tidbits -

...Consistent with Gomez's observation, Duke in the latter 1980s reportedly had his nose thinned and chin augmented. Following his election to the Louisiana House of Representatives, he shaved his mustache.[33][34] Gomez, in his 2000 autobiography, wrote about Duke:

...In the late 1970s, Duke was accused by several Klan officials of stealing the organization's money. "Duke is nothing but a con artist", Jack Gregory, Duke's Florida state leader, told the Clearwater Sun after Duke allegedly refused to turn over proceeds from a series of 1979 Klan rallies to the Knights. Another Klan official under Duke, Jerry Dutton, told reporters that Duke had used Klan funds to purchase and refurbish his home in Metairie. Duke later justified the repairs by saying most of his home was used by the Klan.

...In 1979, after his first, abortive run for president (as a Democrat) and a series of highly publicized violent Klan incidents, Duke quietly incorporated the nonprofit National Association for the Advancement of White People (NAAWP) in an attempt to leave the baggage of the Klan behind.



...Duke promotes the white genocide conspiracy theory and explicitly claims that Jews are "organising white genocide".[93][94][95][96][97] In 2017 he accused Anthony Bourdain of promoting white genocide.[98][99]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/07/18 8:27am

jjhunsecker

avatar

In an interview last week, Spike called Donald Trump "A man of hate, violence", who is on the wrong side of history. No truer words have been spoken

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/07/18 9:37am

poppys

jjhunsecker said:

In an interview last week, Spike called Donald Trump "A man of hate, violence", who is on the wrong side of history. No truer words have been spoken


Admit I have a lifelong crush on Spike Lee's brain. love

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/07/18 2:31pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

2elijah said:

Just found out a few days ago that this was a true story. I am going to see this.


Can't wait. I hear it got a 10 min standing ovation at Cannes

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/07/18 8:09pm

2elijah

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:



2elijah said:


Just found out a few days ago that this was a true story. I am going to see this.


Can't wait. I hear it got a 10 min standing ovation at Cannes


Wow, I guess Spike did good with this one.
FEARLESS
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/07/18 9:12pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

poppys said:



Really good interview last night.


“We wanted people to understand that history repeats itself, and I feel we’re in a very tumultuous time,” Spike Lee tells NBC News’ Lester Holt of his new film, set in the ‘70s, about a black cop who managed to infiltrate the KKK. Aug.06.2018


https://www.nbcnews.com/n...3410883522


‘BlacKkKlansman’: Real-Life Ron Stallworth Says David Duke Was Concerned About His Portrayal



https://deadline.com/2018...02441281/


screen-shot-2018-08-06-at-3-41-30-pm.png?w=446&h=299&crop=1

Based on a true story, Spike Lee’s forthcoming BlacKkKlansman follows John David Washington’s Ron Stallworth, the first Black Colorado Springs officer who successfully went undercover to infiltrate the Ku Klux Klan, ultimately becoming the leader of its local chapter and gaining the trust of Grand Wizard David Duke (Topher Grace). Lester Holt interviewed the real-life Stallworth tonight’s NBC Nightly News and he shared an interesting conversation that he recently had with the Grand Wizard-turned-politician.

[Edited 8/7/18 8:26am]



Note the shirt.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/08/18 11:03am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Movie geek website, joblo.com, is giving this a a glowing review. Sounds like it's a return to form for Spike. Cool! I'd see it anyway just on Lee's track record and the inclusion of Prince on the soundtrack. If the film's as good as they say, all the better. cool

http://www.joblo.com/movi...ansman-226








[Edited 8/8/18 11:05am]

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/08/18 11:47am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

poppys said:



Really good interview last night.


“We wanted people to understand that history repeats itself, and I feel we’re in a very tumultuous time,” Spike Lee tells NBC News’ Lester Holt of his new film, set in the ‘70s, about a black cop who managed to infiltrate the KKK. Aug.06.2018


https://www.nbcnews.com/n...3410883522


‘BlacKkKlansman’: Real-Life Ron Stallworth Says David Duke Was Concerned About His Portrayal



https://deadline.com/2018...02441281/


screen-shot-2018-08-06-at-3-41-30-pm.png?w=446&h=299&crop=1

Based on a true story, Spike Lee’s forthcoming BlacKkKlansman follows John David Washington’s Ron Stallworth, the first Black Colorado Springs officer who successfully went undercover to infiltrate the Ku Klux Klan, ultimately becoming the leader of its local chapter and gaining the trust of Grand Wizard David Duke (Topher Grace). Lester Holt interviewed the real-life Stallworth tonight’s NBC Nightly News and he shared an interesting conversation that he recently had with the Grand Wizard-turned-politician.

[Edited 8/7/18 8:26am]



Note the shirt.


nod

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/10/18 7:20am

poppys


Another great interview with both of them on CBS This Morning. Stallworth was wearing a different Beto t-shirt and Spike was wearing a shirt that said God Protect Robert Mueller. Stallworth still carries his KKK card from 1979 in his wallet. It's showing at the Prytania, a great old theater near my house, starting at noon today!!!


[Edited 8/10/18 7:26am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/10/18 8:12am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Surprised DJ approves.

"My motherfucker's so cool sheep count him."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/10/18 11:59am

djThunderfunk

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

Surprised DJ approves.


WTFuck are you trying to say? I'm a film fan and Spike Lee's works are among some of the best of the past 3 decades. I have over a dozen in my DVD/Bluray collection. Malcolm X is my favorite thing he's done. Why wouldn't I be interested in this one? It looks like it might be the best thing he's done in a couple decades.

Guess none of that matters to you. You're too busy coming up with passively aggressive suggestive insults so you can stir shit without actually breaking the rules. What a big, brave man you are.






[Edited 8/10/18 12:24pm]

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/10/18 1:54pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

2freaky4church1 said:

Surprised DJ approves.


WTFuck are you trying to say? I'm a film fan and Spike Lee's works are among some of the best of the past 3 decades. I have over a dozen in my DVD/Bluray collection. Malcolm X is my favorite thing he's done. Why wouldn't I be interested in this one? It looks like it might be the best thing he's done in a couple decades.

Guess none of that matters to you. You're too busy coming up with passively aggressive suggestive insults so you can stir shit without actually breaking the rules. What a big, brave man you are.






[Edited 8/10/18 12:24pm]

One baits and the other takes it rolleyes

Here's what - why don't you ORG NOTE this stupid shit to each other instead of derailing threads?!























[Edited 8/10/18 13:59pm]

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/10/18 1:58pm

herb4

avatar

I don't know where else to put this but this seems as good a place as any.

Conviceted felon Dinesh D'Souza's new schtick is lableing white nationalists and people like Richard Spencer "leftists, while the nazi march on DC is titled "Unite the Right". I think these individuals are disconnected from reality.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 08/10/18 1:59pm

herb4

avatar

2elijah said:

Just found out a few days ago that this was a true story. I am going to see this.


only the KKK is dumb enough to be infiltrated by a black and a jewsish person.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 08/10/18 2:00pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

herb4 said:

2elijah said:

Just found out a few days ago that this was a true story. I am going to see this.


only the KKK is dumb enough to be infiltrated by a black and a jewsish person.

nod The film should be very interesting. I am looking forward to it.

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 08/10/18 2:03pm

benni

I can't wait to see this movie! I've been looking forward to it since I first heard about it.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 08/10/18 2:11pm

poppys

herb4 said:

2elijah said:

Just found out a few days ago that this was a true story. I am going to see this.


only the KKK is dumb enough to be infiltrated by a black and a jewish person.

falloff

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 08/10/18 2:31pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

One baits and the other takes it rolleyes

Here's what - why don't you ORG NOTE this stupid shit to each other instead of derailing threads?!


If the thread was "derailed", that's on 2freaky, not me. My comments were on topic until he chose to confront me. If he can do that, I can respond, just as I can to your comment.

As for orgnotes, I blocked him long ago. If he has anything to say to me he can do so publicly.

Here's what - you're not a mod, so why don't you mind your own business instead of further derailing threads?!








[Edited 8/10/18 15:57pm]

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 08/10/18 2:46pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 08/10/18 3:03pm

13cjk13

herb4 said:

I don't know where else to put this but this seems as good a place as any.

Conviceted felon Dinesh D'Souza's new schtick is lableing white nationalists and people like Richard Spencer "leftists, while the nazi march on DC is titled "Unite the Right". I think these individuals are disconnected from reality.

Dinesh D'Souza is absolute garbage.

"Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost".
-Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 08/10/18 3:11pm

Graycap23

avatar

When is the US govt going 2 eradicte groups like the KKK?

Yes....I'm in a Cult. We brainwash people into THINKING ............4 Themselves. FAMILIAR BONDAGE OVER FOREIGN FREEDOM
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 08/10/18 3:40pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

13cjk13 said:



herb4 said:


I don't know where else to put this but this seems as good a place as any.

Conviceted felon Dinesh D'Souza's new schtick is lableing white nationalists and people like Richard Spencer "leftists, while the nazi march on DC is titled "Unite the Right". I think these individuals are disconnected from reality.



Dinesh D'Souza is absolute garbage.



I was reading through some of Gunga Din D'Souza's latest "book ", and it was like watching "Black Mirror " (or "Twilight Zone " for us older folks)... Here was a non/White man actually excusing White Nationalists like scumbag Spencer, and making them sound harmless. After that I put the book down and vomited
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 08/10/18 3:42pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

Graycap23 said:

When is the US govt going 2 eradicte groups like the KKK?



And have Trump lose an essential part of his base??
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 08/10/18 3:43pm

poppys

jjhunsecker said:

13cjk13 said:

Dinesh D'Souza is absolute garbage.

I was reading through some of Gunga Din D'Souza's latest "book ", and it was like watching "Black Mirror " (or "Twilight Zone " for us older folks)... Here was a non/White man actually excusing White Nationalists like scumbag Spencer, and making them sound harmless. After that I put the book down and vomited


I hate Richard Fucking Spencer with a passion. Anyone who could defend him I also hate.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 08/10/18 3:53pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

I see the score by Terence Blanchard is out there, but don't see the soundtrack listed yet. Interested in seeing who else other than Prince is on there, expecting some period appropriate tracks.

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman opens 1 year after Charlottesville