independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Let's discuss MJ's Ultimate Collection box set from 2004
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/12/21 9:26pm

Phase3

Let's discuss MJ's Ultimate Collection box set from 2004

So for years I have had all of MJ's albums except for the ultimate collection.
Finally got around to owning the collection as of today.
It is a collection of hit songs,rarities,and unreleased tracks along with a dvd of the dangerous concert in Bucharest
What are your favorite songs or highlights from this set?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/12/21 10:17pm

alphastreet

Phase3 said:

So for years I have had all of MJ's albums except for the ultimate collection.
Finally got around to owning the collection as of today.
It is a collection of hit songs,rarities,and unreleased tracks along with a dvd of the dangerous concert in Bucharest
What are your favorite songs or highlights from this set?


Really love this set! I remember getting money as a gift in my uni days and using it to buy it the week it came out! We’ve Had enough is arguably his best song of the decade, and fall again should have replaced you are my life on invincible, but apparently Michael got a cold from little prince and couldn’t finish it or book more time for it. I also love all the key changes in the way that you love me. Cheater is also a banger, and I love the smoothness of someone put my hand out, which I first heard through another fan(my math tutor) in 2000. Also love the melody of sunset driver though it didn’t make the final set of off the wall, reminds me of ease on down the road
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/12/21 10:27pm

Phase3

alphastreet said:

Phase3 said:

So for years I have had all of MJ's albums except for the ultimate collection.
Finally got around to owning the collection as of today.
It is a collection of hit songs,rarities,and unreleased tracks along with a dvd of the dangerous concert in Bucharest
What are your favorite songs or highlights from this set?


Really love this set! I remember getting money as a gift in my uni days and using it to buy it the week it came out! We’ve Had enough is arguably his best song of the decade, and fall again should have replaced you are my life on invincible, but apparently Michael got a cold from little prince and couldn’t finish it or book more time for it. I also love all the key changes in the way that you love me. Cheater is also a banger, and I love the smoothness of someone put my hand out, which I first heard through another fan(my math tutor) in 2000. Also love the melody of sunset driver though it didn’t make the final set of off the wall, reminds me of ease on down the road

Thanks for you recommendations! I will check those out
I ripped the CDs to my laptop and kinda sampled each track.will listen to them in full tomorrow.Although I did listen to the demo for "Dangerous".I love it,it is even better than the album version.
And that demo of PYT is very smooth
[Edited 4/12/21 22:28pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/12/21 10:34pm

Free2BMe

Love this collection.💕😎👏
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/12/21 11:10pm

alphastreet

Phase3 said:

alphastreet said:



Really love this set! I remember getting money as a gift in my uni days and using it to buy it the week it came out! We’ve Had enough is arguably his best song of the decade, and fall again should have replaced you are my life on invincible, but apparently Michael got a cold from little prince and couldn’t finish it or book more time for it. I also love all the key changes in the way that you love me. Cheater is also a banger, and I love the smoothness of someone put my hand out, which I first heard through another fan(my math tutor) in 2000. Also love the melody of sunset driver though it didn’t make the final set of off the wall, reminds me of ease on down the road

Thanks for you recommendations! I will check those out
I ripped the CDs to my laptop and kinda sampled each track.will listen to them in full tomorrow.Although I did listen to the demo for "Dangerous".I love it,it is even better than the album version.
And that demo of PYT is very smooth
[Edited 4/12/21 22:28pm]


Haven’t heard that dangerous remix in a long time but remember playing it for some time though I like the stage version from the vmas best and know some of the choreography
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/13/21 3:45am

jaawwnn

avatar

Why is disc 2 so short? I assume there was supposed to be more on there?

"I think people ought to know that we're anti-fascist, we're anti-violence, we're anti-racist and we're pro-creative. We're against ignorance."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/13/21 7:00am

CoolMF

It's cool for the rarities. Otherwise, nothing really one it that you wouldn't have from owning the albums. No "deep cuts" from Jackson 5 or "little" Michael Jackson. As previously stated, the Bucharest concert is straight fire- amazing watching the man in his (IMHO) performing prime.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/13/21 4:54pm

Superstition

avatar

On The Line is that rare, sort of classic R&B song that was rare in his latter day. He had the slow jams and the sappier tunes, but songs like For All Time, Someone Put Your Hand Out and On The Line were missing. It was great to have them. Wish he had been a one-album every two years guy for longer, because he could sing the phone book.

It was a great set but a little lacking from his better tour. Bucharest was just ok.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/13/21 5:46pm

alphastreet

Superstition said:

On The Line is that rare, sort of classic R&B song that was rare in his latter day. He had the slow jams and the sappier tunes, but songs like For All Time, Someone Put Your Hand Out and On The Line were missing. It was great to have them. Wish he had been a one-album every two years guy for longer, because he could sing the phone book.

It was a great set but a little lacking from his better tour. Bucharest was just ok.


Also really love on the line, mj and babyface worked beautifully for why and on the line, I don’t know what happened with you are my life
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/14/21 12:58pm

funkypixie

An excellent retrospective and great they were able to include both the Motown and Sony catalogue. Shame the MJ estate doesn't seem interested in releasing anything this good since he passed away. Although apparently, even with the pounding his personal reputation contines to take, its still the highest grossing postumous estate so they don't realy need to try.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/14/21 6:25pm

Derek1984

avatar

This was the set that finally introduced us to Sunset Driver, Cheater, and the PYT Demo. I remember for years reading on AOL newsgroups (yeah, remember those?!) about those titles and then they finally did release them. They didn't disappoint.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/14/21 8:33pm

wilmer

Also really love on the line, mj and babyface worked beautifully for why and on the line, I don’t know what happened with you are my life[/quote]

So true. As soon as I heard Babyface was involved with Invincible, I thought we we gonna get something along the lines of Why but instead we got this. I guess his judgement was usually questionable.

The Ultimate Collection is my favorite MJ compilation. I was feening for this album for a while and when I got it I was floating on cloud nine. My favorite tracks were all the rarities. Cheater was my favorite.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/14/21 10:41pm

Phase3

I know this is a well known song but I believe "You rock my world" has aged very well and it sounds better than ever to my ears
Wonder why that wasn't more of a hit for him?
Being that this is a MJ thread,I have a question
Why didn't MJ ever appear on American idol? I mean I know the show sucked and still does,but still it wouldbe been fun if he did.Was he ever rumored to appear on the show? After all,just ahout every prince fan I knew thought prince would never be on American idol but to everyone's surprise he did
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/15/21 2:08am

PatrickS77

avatar

Phase3 said:

Why didn't MJ ever appear on American idol? I mean I know the show sucked and still does,but still it wouldbe been fun if he did.Was he ever rumored to appear on the show? After all,just ahout every prince fan I knew thought prince would never be on American idol but to everyone's surprise he did

A) why would he appear on a show that sucks and

B) he had nothing to promote that would make sense for him to lower himself to appear on a crappy casting show

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/15/21 11:10am

Phase3

PatrickS77 said:



Phase3 said:


Why didn't MJ ever appear on American idol? I mean I know the show sucked and still does,but still it wouldbe been fun if he did.Was he ever rumored to appear on the show? After all,just ahout every prince fan I knew thought prince would never be on American idol but to everyone's surprise he did


A) why would he appear on a show that sucks and


B) he had nothing to promote that would make sense for him to lower himself to appear on a crappy casting show


He could have promoted the this is it tour.I forget that MJ was somewhat "retired" in his later years.
Is there a good reason why we haven't had any new MJ music in a while?
I know he has a good amount of unreleased music
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 04/15/21 3:23pm

PatrickS77

avatar

Phase3 said:

PatrickS77 said:



Phase3 said:


Why didn't MJ ever appear on American idol? I mean I know the show sucked and still does,but still it wouldbe been fun if he did.Was he ever rumored to appear on the show? After all,just ahout every prince fan I knew thought prince would never be on American idol but to everyone's surprise he did


A) why would he appear on a show that sucks and


B) he had nothing to promote that would make sense for him to lower himself to appear on a crappy casting show


He could have promoted the this is it tour.I forget that MJ was somewhat "retired" in his later years.
Is there a good reason why we haven't had any new MJ music in a while?
I know he has a good amount of unreleased music


Why would he promote a UK Tour on US television?
Dude sold out 1 Mio. tickets in 1 city without promotion. He didn't need a crappy US TV show.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/15/21 8:13pm

Superstition

avatar

I know if MJ picked that set out, he did a good job. My only complaint was he had better tours, but the audio portion was bang on.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/15/21 8:56pm

Phase3

PatrickS77 said:

Phase3 said:


He could have promoted the this is it tour.I forget that MJ was somewhat "retired" in his later years.
Is there a good reason why we haven't had any new MJ music in a while?
I know he has a good amount of unreleased music


Why would he promote a UK Tour on US television?
Dude sold out 1 Mio. tickets in 1 city without promotion. He didn't need a crappy US TV show.

Fair enough,I guess I just wish MJ had been more active during his later years and did more performances.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 04/15/21 10:03pm

RODSERLING

Phase3 said:

I know this is a well known song but I believe "You rock my world" has aged very well and it sounds better than ever to my ears
Wonder why that wasn't more of a hit for him?
Being that this is a MJ thread,I have a question
Why didn't MJ ever appear on American idol? I mean I know the show sucked and still does,but still it wouldbe been fun if he did.Was he ever rumored to appear on the show? After all,just ahout every prince fan I knew thought prince would never be on American idol but to everyone's surprise he did



YRMW was the shit when it came in France.
It broke many records there.

It was the first record ever to get #1 on airplay the first week of release.
It was the first track to be #1 at the same time on airplay, single and clubs.
Also, Invincible broke the record for the best selling first week ever, with 160.000 copies sold. The previous record was held by a french band in 1991,
with 121.000 copies!

YRMW has 267 millions views on YouTube, so it s a lasting hit.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 04/15/21 10:17pm

alphastreet

RODSERLING said:

Phase3 said:

I know this is a well known song but I believe "You rock my world" has aged very well and it sounds better than ever to my ears
Wonder why that wasn't more of a hit for him?
Being that this is a MJ thread,I have a question
Why didn't MJ ever appear on American idol? I mean I know the show sucked and still does,but still it wouldbe been fun if he did.Was he ever rumored to appear on the show? After all,just ahout every prince fan I knew thought prince would never be on American idol but to everyone's surprise he did



YRMW was the shit when it came in France.
It broke many records there.

It was the first record ever to get #1 on airplay the first week of release.
It was the first track to be #1 at the same time on airplay, single and clubs.
Also, Invincible broke the record for the best selling first week ever, with 160.000 copies sold. The previous record was held by a french band in 1991,
with 121.000 copies!

YRMW has 267 millions views on YouTube, so it s a lasting hit.


Yes I remember reading that invincible was number 1 for a few weeks in France too, right?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 04/16/21 12:47pm

RODSERLING

alphastreet said:

RODSERLING said:




YRMW was the shit when it came in France.
It broke many records there.

It was the first record ever to get #1 on airplay the first week of release.
It was the first track to be #1 at the same time on airplay, single and clubs.
Also, Invincible broke the record for the best selling first week ever, with 160.000 copies sold. The previous record was held by a french band in 1991,
with 121.000 copies!

YRMW has 267 millions views on YouTube, so it s a lasting hit.


Yes I remember reading that invincible was number 1 for a few weeks in France too, right?


It was #1 like I said with out of this world numbers - for the time.
Some weeks after, these already incredible numbers were largely beaten by the french equivalent of Pop Idol.

IIRC, it was #1 for 3 weeks, even beating Britney's Spears' In The Zone.

Sadly, like everywhere in Europe, Invincible was litterally killed by CRY, when the album needed something more like Whatever Happens for the christmas season.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 04/16/21 3:25pm

Phase3

RODSERLING said:

alphastreet said:



Yes I remember reading that invincible was number 1 for a few weeks in France too, right?


It was #1 like I said with out of this world numbers - for the time.
Some weeks after, these already incredible numbers were largely beaten by the french equivalent of Pop Idol.

IIRC, it was #1 for 3 weeks, even beating Britney's Spears' In The Zone.

Sadly, like everywhere in Europe, Invincible was litterally killed by CRY, when the album needed something more like Whatever Happens for the christmas season.


I think "unbreakable " would've been a better single if it was edited down to 4 minutes
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/16/21 3:38pm

alphastreet

RODSERLING said:

alphastreet said:



Yes I remember reading that invincible was number 1 for a few weeks in France too, right?


It was #1 like I said with out of this world numbers - for the time.
Some weeks after, these already incredible numbers were largely beaten by the french equivalent of Pop Idol.

IIRC, it was #1 for 3 weeks, even beating Britney's Spears' In The Zone.

Sadly, like everywhere in Europe, Invincible was litterally killed by CRY, when the album needed something more like Whatever Happens for the christmas season.


It’s unforgivable that whatever happens wasn’t a single, its the strongest song on the album
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/17/21 12:13am

RODSERLING

alphastreet said:

RODSERLING said:



It was #1 like I said with out of this world numbers - for the time.
Some weeks after, these already incredible numbers were largely beaten by the french equivalent of Pop Idol.

IIRC, it was #1 for 3 weeks, even beating Britney's Spears' In The Zone.

Sadly, like everywhere in Europe, Invincible was litterally killed by CRY, when the album needed something more like Whatever Happens for the christmas season.


It’s unforgivable that whatever happens wasn’t a single, its the strongest song on the album


Yes.
Had it been released in december of 2001 with a good music video ( with MJ in it!), would have been a huge seller.
What a waste. This marketing mistake killed Invincible, MJ's carreer, and I m sure his own life.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/17/21 4:17pm

alphastreet

RODSERLING said:

alphastreet said:



It’s unforgivable that whatever happens wasn’t a single, its the strongest song on the album


Yes.
Had it been released in december of 2001 with a good music video ( with MJ in it!), would have been a huge seller.
What a waste. This marketing mistake killed Invincible, MJ's carreer, and I m sure his own life.


Also, butterflies should have had a video. It did moderately well and it would have made sense to cash in on that

I feel his issues in the 00s led to his death too
[Edited 4/17/21 16:17pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/17/21 4:23pm

Phase3

alphastreet said:

RODSERLING said:



Yes.
Had it been released in december of 2001 with a good music video ( with MJ in it!), would have been a huge seller.
What a waste. This marketing mistake killed Invincible, MJ's carreer, and I m sure his own life.


Also, butterflies should have had a video. It did moderately well and it would have made sense to cash in on that

I feel his issues in the 00s led to his death too
[Edited 4/17/21 16:17pm]


I agree there.Also,I have a feeling that the album came out around a wrong time.It was released in October 2001,america was still recovering from 9/11

The album is good but not as strong as MJ's other albums.I can't believe they were sitting on songs like chicago,place with no name,way u love me,another day,Hollywood tonight.
Those tracks are stronger than most of the invincible album
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/17/21 4:24pm

alphastreet

Phase3 said:

alphastreet said:



Also, butterflies should have had a video. It did moderately well and it would have made sense to cash in on that

I feel his issues in the 00s led to his death too
[Edited 4/17/21 16:17pm]


I agree there.Also,I have a feeling that the album came out around a wrong time.It was released in October 2001,america was still recovering from 9/11

The album is good but not as strong as MJ's other albums.I can't believe they were sitting on songs like chicago,place with no name,way u love me,another day,Hollywood tonight.
Those tracks are stronger than most of the invincible album


I don’t find them stronger than the invincible album, but feel the new and previously unreleased songs from ultimate collection were much stronger than invincible
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/17/21 10:29pm

Phase3

Saw the Bucharest concert for the first time tonight.The sound was amazing.My only gripe is the camera panning to the audience showing people crying and fainting during every song.That got tiresome
I still prefer the official BAD 87 concert over dangerous in bucharest
Also loved how MJ did a prequel to the history tour.At the end of dangerous,he takes off in his space suit.
[Edited 4/17/21 22:29pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 04/18/21 12:49am

RODSERLING

I wish he had reworked some songs like Sunset Driver or In The Back, with let s say Rodney Jerkins, to fit in Invincible.
That would have been so much better than You are My Life or Don't Walk Away!

Apparently Cheater was reworked by Jerkins that way, but since it hasn't leaked yet, it may be a rumour.

MJ has always been his main hitmaker, it was a commercial and artistic mistake to drift away from that recipe.

He really didn't need a humanitarian song like Cry, not even written by him, when he had already so much songs like that were better, like We've Had Enough for instance.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 04/18/21 6:34pm

alphastreet

I think cry is good lol
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Let's discuss MJ's Ultimate Collection box set from 2004