independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Best Madonna album?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 06/09/20 6:52pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

slyjackson said:

estefi82 said:

Wow, I am surprised nobody talk about "La isla bonita", for me is a very beautiful sound, clearly one of the best songs of Madonna.

And very unique in her whole discography.

What? Maybe at the time, but she does Latin-tinged pop all the time. "Spanish Eyes", "Spanish Lesson" etc.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 06/09/20 6:59pm

slyjackson

hollywood0024 said:

slyjackson said:

You said Breathless album, those were not part of that album, but yes indeed they are alike sound wise.

Any other songs from the Erotica album you think sounds like them? Just wondering.

No that I can think of.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 06/09/20 7:02pm

slyjackson

WhisperingDandelions said:

slyjackson said:

And very unique in her whole discography.

What? Maybe at the time, but she does Latin-tinged pop all the time. "Spanish Eyes", "Spanish Lesson" etc.

Well yes, but I mean unique when it comes to her most known songs and hits.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 06/10/20 5:26am

DaveT

avatar

slyjackson said:

DaveT said:


I liked it, though I think it was a bit dour for most people. The artwork was great and I loved some of the themes she explored. Also helped that the tour that supported the album was one of her very best.

It was probably two or three songs away from being a very good album (I'd have dropped 'Mother and Father' and 'I'm So Stupid') one of which needed to be something upbeat that you could dance to, just for balance.

Swim, Sky Fits Heaven and In This Life even Why It's So Hard should have been included if solely because of the social commentary in their lyrics.


Presume you mean on the tour? Yeah, that would have been fantastic to hear them live as they are all great songs, as well as fitting the theme.

There seems to be a number of great songs in her back catalogue she steers away from live for reasons no one can seem to figure out ... while other songs she ploughs in to the ground; Hung Up she killed for me as she went for a period of doing it every time she took to a stage.

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 06/10/20 12:40pm

slyjackson

DaveT said:

slyjackson said:

Swim, Sky Fits Heaven and In This Life even Why It's So Hard should have been included if solely because of the social commentary in their lyrics.


Presume you mean on the tour? Yeah, that would have been fantastic to hear them live as they are all great songs, as well as fitting the theme.

There seems to be a number of great songs in her back catalogue she steers away from live for reasons no one can seem to figure out ... while other songs she ploughs in to the ground; Hung Up she killed for me as she went for a period of doing it every time she took to a stage.

On Madame X yes. I will never understand why she doesn't perform so many greeat songs, even number ones like Take A Bow.

[Edited 6/10/20 18:54pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 06/10/20 3:41pm

hollywood0024

I think ROL is overrated.
[Edited 6/10/20 15:45pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 06/10/20 3:41pm

hollywood0024

I think Bedtime Stories is her most underrated album.
[Edited 6/10/20 15:44pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 06/10/20 3:43pm

hollywood0024

slyjackson said:



hollywood0024 said:


slyjackson said:


You said Breathless album, those were not part of that album, but yes indeed they are alike sound wise.



Any other songs from the Erotica album you think sounds like them? Just wondering.

No that I can think of.


Any other songs at all regardless of era that sound similiar?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 06/10/20 4:14pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

hollywood0024 said:

I think ROL is overrated.

hollywood0024 said:

I think Bedtime Stories is her most underrated album.

I like both of these takes.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 06/10/20 4:20pm

alphastreet

I like bedtime stories better than ray of light as well
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 06/10/20 4:41pm

heartpeaceshea
rt

Yep that's me
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 06/10/20 6:45pm

slyjackson

hollywood0024 said:

I think Bedtime Stories is her most underrated album. [Edited 6/10/20 15:44pm]

Is underrated, a beautiful album, but ROL is not overrated at all it deserves all the praise it gets.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 06/10/20 6:51pm

slyjackson

hollywood0024 said:

slyjackson said:

No that I can think of.

Any other songs at all regardless of era that sound similiar?

Linving For Love, I Don't Search I Find and Ciao Bella, I think these are all. Btw Hanky sounds nothing alike Vogue and Rescue Me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 06/10/20 8:10pm

hollywood0024

I also wish she would have made a music video for Rescue Me with the way she looked in early 1991 with the long blond hair. Looked so gorgeous at the Oscars with MJ.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 06/11/20 12:46pm

slyjackson

hollywood0024 said:

I also wish she would have made a music video for Rescue Me with the way she looked in early 1991 with the long blond hair. Looked so gorgeous at the Oscars with MJ.

Would have been great.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 06/11/20 12:58pm

Cinny

avatar

Bedtime Stories

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 06/11/20 3:16pm

CherryMoon57

avatar

Heard this on the radio today https://www.youtube.com/w...pzdgmqIHOQ

Reminded me how good True Blue is


True Blue (Madonna album) - Wikipedia

Life Matters
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 06/11/20 4:20pm

slyjackson

CherryMoon57 said:

Heard this on the radio today https://www.youtube.com/w...pzdgmqIHOQ

Reminded me how good True Blue is


True Blue (Madonna album) - Wikipedia

An iconic era, iconic looks, iconic videos and more importantly iconic songs.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 06/12/20 10:26am

Cinny

avatar

slyjackson said:

CherryMoon57 said:

Heard this on the radio today https://www.youtube.com/w...pzdgmqIHOQ

Reminded me how good True Blue is


True Blue (Madonna album) - Wikipedia

An iconic era, iconic looks, iconic videos and more importantly iconic songs.


I think True Blue is still the best-seller in her catalog.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 06/12/20 12:14pm

alphastreet

True blue is absolutely iconic
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 06/12/20 1:59pm

slyjackson

Cinny said:

slyjackson said:

An iconic era, iconic looks, iconic videos and more importantly iconic songs.


I think True Blue is still the best-seller in her catalog.

I think it is, more than 30 million copies, this and Immaculate Collection have sold more than 30 million copies I think.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 06/13/20 9:54am

Cinny

avatar

All I know is her best single is "Who's That Girl?"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 06/13/20 11:09am

gandorb

disbelief

To each his own,.but for me one of my least favorite singles.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 06/13/20 11:11am

alphastreet

Cinny said:

All I know is her best single is "Who's That Girl?"



Omg that’s definitely one of her best!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 06/13/20 12:25pm

hollywood0024

I love all 4 songs on the Who's That Girl soundtrack. I only wish she would have done ALL of the songs on there.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 06/13/20 5:27pm

CherryMoon57

avatar

slyjackson said:

CherryMoon57 said:

I stopped being a Madonna fan after Like A Prayer. I still listen to 'Madonna' from time to time. For some reason it's the one that made the most lasting impression.


Madonna%2C_debut_album_cover.png

Great debut album, you should give her discography a chance, she's got great albums after LAP

I realised I told a lie since I had also bought the Dick Tracy soundtrack (which I loved) and the Immaculate Collection. It has been a while since I digged into the Madonna albums, but thanks to this thread I revisited a lot of her stuff and I think it still sounds amazing.

[Edited 6/13/20 17:28pm]

Life Matters
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 06/14/20 3:05am

JoeTyler

1. Like a Prayer

2. Ray of Light

3. Madonna

4. True Blue

5. Bedtime Stories

6. Confessions on Dance Floor

7. Erotica

8. Music

the rest

tinkerbell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 06/14/20 4:17am

gandorb

CherryMoon57 said:

slyjackson said:

Great debut album, you should give her discography a chance, she's got great albums after LAP

I realised I told a lie since I had also bought the Dick Tracy soundtrack (which I loved) and the Immaculate Collection. It has been a while since I digged into the Madonna albums, but thanks to this thread I revisited a lot of her stuff and I think it still sounds amazing.

[Edited 6/13/20 17:28pm]

Something similar for me as well. This thread has also gotten me to revisit several of my old Madonna CDs that I hadn't played in years. Some of them, which I had remembered being just okay, turns out to be much better than I realized. Especially Erotica and Bedtime Stories. Just like with Prince, at times I got turned off by her image (with her it was the endless publicity stunts) and didn't give her music a full chance even though I bought every release. Erotica is the best example of this. I have never been one that enjoyed an artist to hit me over the head with over the top sexuality as it actually seems less sexy than someone being more natural. Obviously, that was the publicity surrounding Erotica and so I probably played that album less than her other pre-2000 releases. However, I have played it 5 times this past month, and it gets better each time. Such a coherent album with several excellent songs.

I will add this. Despite there being times I wasn't enthralled with her publicity, I never fully turned on her. She inspired so much undeserved hate that I felt a bit protective of her. She did a good job standing up for herself, which is why I always loved Human Nature as her response to the extreme backlash she got to Erotica.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 06/14/20 3:03pm

hollywood0024

gandorb said:



CherryMoon57 said:




slyjackson said:



Great debut album, you should give her discography a chance, she's got great albums after LAP



I realised I told a lie since I had also bought the Dick Tracy soundtrack (which I loved) and the Immaculate Collection. It has been a while since I digged into the Madonna albums, but thanks to this thread I revisited a lot of her stuff and I think it still sounds amazing.


[Edited 6/13/20 17:28pm]




Something similar for me as well. This thread has also gotten me to revisit several of my old Madonna CDs that I hadn't played in years. Some of them, which I had remembered being just okay, turns out to be much better than I realized. Especially Erotica and Bedtime Stories. Just like with Prince, at times I got turned off by her image (with her it was the endless publicity stunts) and didn't give her music a full chance even though I bought every release. Erotica is the best example of this. I have never been one that enjoyed an artist to hit me over the head with over the top sexuality as it actually seems less sexy than someone being more natural. Obviously, that was the publicity surrounding Erotica and so I probably played that album less than her other pre-2000 releases. However, I have played it 5 times this past month, and it gets better each time. Such a coherent album with several excellent songs.



I will add this. Despite there being times I wasn't enthralled with her publicity, I never fully turned on her. She inspired so much undeserved hate that I felt a bit protective of her. She did a good job standing up for herself, which is why I always loved Human Nature as her response to the extreme backlash she got to Erotica.






Great post. I am glad I started this thread.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 06/14/20 11:59pm

slyjackson

hollywood0024 said:

gandorb said:

Something similar for me as well. This thread has also gotten me to revisit several of my old Madonna CDs that I hadn't played in years. Some of them, which I had remembered being just okay, turns out to be much better than I realized. Especially Erotica and Bedtime Stories. Just like with Prince, at times I got turned off by her image (with her it was the endless publicity stunts) and didn't give her music a full chance even though I bought every release. Erotica is the best example of this. I have never been one that enjoyed an artist to hit me over the head with over the top sexuality as it actually seems less sexy than someone being more natural. Obviously, that was the publicity surrounding Erotica and so I probably played that album less than her other pre-2000 releases. However, I have played it 5 times this past month, and it gets better each time. Such a coherent album with several excellent songs.

I will add this. Despite there being times I wasn't enthralled with her publicity, I never fully turned on her. She inspired so much undeserved hate that I felt a bit protective of her. She did a good job standing up for herself, which is why I always loved Human Nature as her response to the extreme backlash she got to Erotica.

Great post. I am glad I started this thread.

I'm glad you did as well.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Best Madonna album?