independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 6th Dec 2019 7:30pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > KISS finally inducted into Rock N Roll Hall of Fame!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/16/13 9:25pm

bashraka

KISS finally inducted into Rock N Roll Hall of Fame!

3121 #1 THIS YEAR
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/16/13 9:34pm

Timmy84

Linda got in too. smile

I'm convinced the Hall has a singer-songwriter fetish (Cat Stevens). lol

That said, I don't mind this list of inductees. KISS fans can finally shut the fuck up. evillol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/16/13 10:15pm

Gunsnhalen

Kiss fans can finally shut their fucking mouths. My gosh, between them and Rush fans...

At least Rush can write songs other than fuck and party joints.

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/16/13 10:17pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

KISS !!!! woot!

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/16/13 11:26pm

lazycrockett

avatar

fuck kiss

peter got in solo

The Most Important Thing In Life Is Sincerity....Once You Can Fake That, You Can Fake Anything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/17/13 1:09am

novabrkr

Oh no. It was funnier when they weren't in.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/17/13 4:44am

2020

avatar

About time...KISS are legends
The greatest live performer of our times was is and always will be Prince.

Remember there is only one destination and that place is U
All of it. Everything. Is U.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/17/13 6:04am

JoeBala

Linda!!! biggrin

Just Music-No Categories-Enjoy It!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/17/13 6:30am

Empress

I'm very happy about this year's inductees, except for Kiss - barf

The others are awesome choices.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/17/13 6:36am

missfee

avatar

excited Hall & Oates and Peter Gabriel! I'm definitely tuning in when they broadcast it. nod

I will forever love and miss you...my sweet Prince.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/17/13 6:43am

missfee

avatar

God I love Daryl Hall:

Daryl Hall Stunned By Hall and Oates' Rock Hall of Fame Induction

"I didn't think this would happen as long as the people who were in power stayed in power"

Daryl Hall and John Oates of Hall & Oates perform in San Francisco, California.
Douglas Mason/Getty Images
December 16, 2013 11:25 PM ET

Hall and Oates have been eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since 1997, but they didn't even make the ballot until a few months ago. "Critics were creating a sort of canon of music back in the day and they didn't really understand my roots," says Daryl Hall. "I think Philadelphia has been underrated over the years as a musical region. I wasn't respected for being what I was."

That will change on April 10th, 2014, when Hall and Oates are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at Brooklyn's Barclays Center alongside Nirvana and Kiss (See the full list of 2014 inductees here).

Daryl Hall called Rolling Stone from London to talk about the honor, his past awards and his personal thoughts on Kiss.

Start by telling me your first reaction to the news.
Somebody told me when I was in the middle of filming Live From Daryl's House. Everyone went,"Congratulations!" I went, "I know, man. It's a really good show today!" I didn't realize what they meant.

Is this something that you ever felt would happen?
I didn't think it would happen as long as the people who were in power stayed in power. I've always been sort of on the other side of the fence with the old guard and the powers-that-be. So it was a bit of a surprise to me. This turn of events and the way things are changing is very pleasant. I think it's the right thing and I think it validates something that needs to have a reason to be serious.

Why do you think the old guard was so opposed to you back in the day?
I haven't a clue. It's probably because they had their own opinions about what constituted exceptional music in that period of time and it was based on a lot of things that I wasn't really interested in. I have slightly different roots than most of the writers.

There really has been a reappraisal of your work in recent years, though.
I do believe so and that's a nice thing. All things change. Times move on and things get validated. The whole new generation of people are looking at me and John in a different way.

You've been to previous induction ceremonies, right?
I inducted Smokey Robinson and I inducted the Temptations.

I imagine it'll be emotional to be back at that podium, but as an inductee and not just a presenter.
My emotions are mixed about it. I'm saving my thoughts about it. I don't think I'm gonna prepare anything. I'm gonna let the moment wash over me and see how I react to it. I think that's probably the best thing I could do, just be as honest as possible.

I don't know if you know this yet, but you're getting inducted alongside Nirvana, Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens, Kiss and Linda Ronstadt.
Well, those are all people who made significant contributions to late 20th century music.

I'm trying to imagine that all-star jam at the end of the night.
With that group, it'll be very hard to imagine. I wonder what Gene Simmons is going to do?

Are you a fan of Kiss?
I can't say that I am. I respect what they did, though. They did something pretty unique and I always respect uniqueness.

How does this rank with past honors you've received?
The biggest honor of my career was when I won R&B Artist of the Year back in the 1970s. I look at that as a major honor. The Songwriters Hall of Fame was a big honor. You know what? My biggest honor was winning the American Music Awards because the people voted. I'm always interested in what fans think. I don't care about contras of secret voters or political moves and all that stuff. It doesn't really resonate with me. If a fan lets me into something, I say, "Okay, I'm doing something right." That's how I look at it. I don't really care about awards and if I do care, it's definitely because of my fans.

The ceremony is in Brooklyn this year at the Barclays Center. You're definitely going, right?
If it's in Brooklyn, I'm not going! (laughs) I've got a dentist appointment in New York and I have no time for that. . . I'm kidding. Of course I'm going to be there.


Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/daryl-hall-stunned-by-hall-and-oates-rock-hall-of-fame-induction-20131216#ixzz2nk96F8yP
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I will forever love and miss you...my sweet Prince.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/17/13 7:48am

Timmy84

missfee said:

God I love Daryl Hall:

Daryl Hall Stunned By Hall and Oates' Rock Hall of Fame Induction

"I didn't think this would happen as long as the people who were in power stayed in power"

Daryl Hall and John Oates of Hall & Oates perform in San Francisco, California.
Douglas Mason/Getty Images
December 16, 2013 11:25 PM ET

Hall and Oates have been eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since 1997, but they didn't even make the ballot until a few months ago. "Critics were creating a sort of canon of music back in the day and they didn't really understand my roots," says Daryl Hall. "I think Philadelphia has been underrated over the years as a musical region. I wasn't respected for being what I was."

That will change on April 10th, 2014, when Hall and Oates are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at Brooklyn's Barclays Center alongside Nirvana and Kiss (See the full list of 2014 inductees here).

Daryl Hall called Rolling Stone from London to talk about the honor, his past awards and his personal thoughts on Kiss.

Start by telling me your first reaction to the news.
Somebody told me when I was in the middle of filming Live From Daryl's House. Everyone went,"Congratulations!" I went, "I know, man. It's a really good show today!" I didn't realize what they meant.

Is this something that you ever felt would happen?
I didn't think it would happen as long as the people who were in power stayed in power. I've always been sort of on the other side of the fence with the old guard and the powers-that-be. So it was a bit of a surprise to me. This turn of events and the way things are changing is very pleasant. I think it's the right thing and I think it validates something that needs to have a reason to be serious.

Why do you think the old guard was so opposed to you back in the day?
I haven't a clue. It's probably because they had their own opinions about what constituted exceptional music in that period of time and it was based on a lot of things that I wasn't really interested in. I have slightly different roots than most of the writers.

There really has been a reappraisal of your work in recent years, though.
I do believe so and that's a nice thing. All things change. Times move on and things get validated. The whole new generation of people are looking at me and John in a different way.

You've been to previous induction ceremonies, right?
I inducted Smokey Robinson and I inducted the Temptations.

I imagine it'll be emotional to be back at that podium, but as an inductee and not just a presenter.
My emotions are mixed about it. I'm saving my thoughts about it. I don't think I'm gonna prepare anything. I'm gonna let the moment wash over me and see how I react to it. I think that's probably the best thing I could do, just be as honest as possible.

I don't know if you know this yet, but you're getting inducted alongside Nirvana, Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens, Kiss and Linda Ronstadt.
Well, those are all people who made significant contributions to late 20th century music.

I'm trying to imagine that all-star jam at the end of the night.
With that group, it'll be very hard to imagine. I wonder what Gene Simmons is going to do?

Are you a fan of Kiss?
I can't say that I am. I respect what they did, though. They did something pretty unique and I always respect uniqueness.

How does this rank with past honors you've received?
The biggest honor of my career was when I won R&B Artist of the Year back in the 1970s. I look at that as a major honor. The Songwriters Hall of Fame was a big honor. You know what? My biggest honor was winning the American Music Awards because the people voted. I'm always interested in what fans think. I don't care about contras of secret voters or political moves and all that stuff. It doesn't really resonate with me. If a fan lets me into something, I say, "Okay, I'm doing something right." That's how I look at it. I don't really care about awards and if I do care, it's definitely because of my fans.

The ceremony is in Brooklyn this year at the Barclays Center. You're definitely going, right?
If it's in Brooklyn, I'm not going! (laughs) I've got a dentist appointment in New York and I have no time for that. . . I'm kidding. Of course I'm going to be there.


Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/daryl-hall-stunned-by-hall-and-oates-rock-hall-of-fame-induction-20131216#ixzz2nk96F8yP
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I'm sooooo proud of Hall & Oates. WELL DESERVED HONOR! smile

Maybe this will open the door for another Philly legend that has been underappreciated too. *coughToddRundgrenfor2015cough* wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/17/13 7:50am

Timmy84

Questlove was campaigning for H&O by the way:

[img:$uid]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVBJXE_CEAEa9q3.jpg[/img:$uid]

lol biggrin

[Edited 12/17/13 7:50am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/17/13 7:51am

Timmy84

missfee said:

excited Hall & Oates and Peter Gabriel! I'm definitely tuning in when they broadcast it. nod

I loved that Peter got in too. smile And it's also well deserved. The guy left his own imprint when he left Genesis.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/17/13 7:57am

missfee

avatar

Timmy84 said:

missfee said:

excited Hall & Oates and Peter Gabriel! I'm definitely tuning in when they broadcast it. nod

I loved that Peter got in too. smile And it's also well deserved. The guy left his own imprint when he left Genesis.

nod

Peter Gabriel on Rock Hall of Fame Induction: 'This Time I'll Go'

"If I play 'In Your Eyes,' it'll take 10 minutes and that might be all the time I have"

Peter Gabriel performs in Paris, France.
David Wolff - Patrick/Redferns via Getty Images
December 16, 2013 11:25 PM ET

Peter Gabriel was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Genesis in 2010, but the ceremony fell during the middle of his tour rehearsals with a large orchestra in England and he didn't have time to take a trip across the Atlantic. "There was no indication at the time I'd have a second opportunity," he says. "I'm very grateful to have gotten in again. It's a huge honor since it's for your whole body of work and not just a specific project."



Gabriel chatted with Rolling Stone in the lobby of a New York hotel not long after he learned he was being inducted as a solo artist. (See the full list of 2014...ctees here.)

Congratulations on the big news.
Thanks. It's a fantastic acknowledgment from your peers and people who work in music.

You're going to go this time, right?
Yeah, I will definitely go. The last time I got in, it was like two days before my tour started. I would have otherwise gone. I just thought, "I can't go. We've given ourselves very little rehearsal time." But it was a great honor. . . Unfortunately, my bass player, Tony Levin, is committed to a prog-rock cruise the week of the event. I have to see if I can do something about that. We want to steal him for a night. The idea is that people have to play, right?

They generally do, but not always. Genesis didn't play.
Oh. I didn't know not performing was even an option. (laughs) Generally, you can either fret about playing and worry about it all night, or you can sit back and have a glass of wine and enjoy the evening. I have to think about that, but this is just great news. . . I'll probably play, though if I do "In Your Eyes," it'll take 10 minutes and that might be all the time I have.

Kurt Cobain of Nirvana and Peter Gabriel during 1993 MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles, California.
Kurt Cobain of Nirvana and Peter Gabriel during 1993 MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles, California.

Nirvana are getting in, too. I've seen photos of you and Kurt Cobain talking backstage at the MTV Video Music Awards.
We did talk. I expected to be dismissed as part of the old generation, but he wasn't like that at all. I didn't have long with him, but he definitely changed things, particularly in America. And it had a different sort of quality than what the Sex Pistols in the UK did. I thought that was more contrived in some ways. I was more into the Clash because despite presentation of what Johnny Rotten was doing, there was nothing new to me about the music. But with Nirvana, some of it, just in their choice of chords, there were some musical differences.

With Kiss, they were first putting on their makeup and costumes right as you were putting on a costume- and makeup-heavy show with Genesis.
[Casablanca Records founder] Neil Bogart [who signed Kiss] said that I was quoted as an example of why they should wear makeup. I don't know if that's true or not, but they did create cartoon-like figures. I saw it was very well-executed pop music. I know it was heavy-looking at the time, but I think it was smart.

There tends to be a huge jam at the end of the night between all the inductees. It's hard to imagine you playing a part in that.
I'm not a great jammer. I'm not a great musicians in terms of a player. I think of myself as a writer.


Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/peter-gabriel-on-rock-hall-of-fame-induction-this-time-ill-go-20131216#ixzz2nkRmpLTg
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I will forever love and miss you...my sweet Prince.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/17/13 8:13am

Timmy84

I imagine Peter getting his award, performing and then leaving as soon as he came. lol He did admit he's not a good jam artist (none from Genesis was, but I imagine Phil being the only one to take a jab at it lol).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/17/13 10:16am

dseann

Timmy84 said:

Linda got in too. smile

I'm convinced the Hall has a singer-songwriter fetish (Cat Stevens). lol

That said, I don't mind this list of inductees. KISS fans can finally shut the fuck up. evillol

Will KISS thank George Clinton and his band after stealing their get up in the 70's?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/17/13 11:06am

Gunsnhalen

So glad Peter, nirvana, and hall got in. It's hilarious! Kiss fans are posses cause nirvana got in first go round. Well, duh! You didn't expect that? Gah... I used to be a huge kiss fan. But there music is silly! It's fun times, nothing more. They put on makeup and out on a huge show. Alice cooper,
Frank Zappa, and Bowie did big shows too before that. They didn't invent shit!
Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/17/13 11:24am

lazycrockett

avatar

There is no way in hell Nirvana WASNT going to get in on the first round. Kurt's suicide sealed that deal.

The Most Important Thing In Life Is Sincerity....Once You Can Fake That, You Can Fake Anything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/17/13 11:37am

dseann

lazycrockett said:

There is no way in hell Nirvana WASNT going to get in on the first round. Kurt's suicide sealed that deal.

What about the impact of the music?

Aah ... Nevermind! wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/17/13 11:43am

thesoulbrother

avatar

Gunsnhalen said:

So glad Peter, nirvana, and hall got in. It's hilarious! Kiss fans are posses cause nirvana got in first go round. Well, duh! You didn't expect that? Gah... I used to be a huge kiss fan. But there music is silly! It's fun times, nothing more. They put on makeup and out on a huge show. Alice cooper, Frank Zappa, and Bowie did big shows too before that. They didn't invent shit!

I have never taken KISS seriously as musicians; they're gimmicky. What is their claim to fame other being great at branding themselves? There's everything from KISS condoms to KISS coffins but their music? It's not like Gene Simmons was spectacular on the bass. I would've rather seen Chic get in because at least Rodgers, Edwards, and Thompson were master musicians who were trendsetters.

Ya gotta love the politics of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/17/13 12:05pm

lazycrockett

avatar

dseann said:

lazycrockett said:

There is no way in hell Nirvana WASNT going to get in on the first round. Kurt's suicide sealed that deal.

What about the impact of the music?

Aah ... Nevermind! wink

Im not saying that Nirvana wasn't a great band, just saying that th whole "die before I get old" suicide attitude is so RnR.

The Most Important Thing In Life Is Sincerity....Once You Can Fake That, You Can Fake Anything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/17/13 12:29pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

Heck yeah!

[img:$uid]http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1144364/thumbs/o-KISS-1976-facebook.jpg[/img:$uid]

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/17/13 12:33pm

Gunsnhalen

Gene Simmons is one of the most basic bass players to ever do it. Ace was a decent guitarist, and Peter is just an ok drummer. The songs they wrote were lyrics right out of middle school lol


Even in my days as a huge Kiss fan, i never saw what was so great. Paul Stanley is the one member who i think is above average. He's a pretty good singer when he wants to be, and decent guitarists. Not to mention he really held the band together for awhile.

I think the musicians they had in the 80's were way better than the original lineup.

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/17/13 12:33pm

Gunsnhalen

RodeoSchro said:

Heck yeah!

[img:$uid]http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1144364/thumbs/o-KISS-1976-facebook.jpg[/img:$uid]

Paul Stanley has the worst case of gay face i have ever seen lol

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 12/17/13 12:35pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

Gunsnhalen said:

RodeoSchro said:

Heck yeah!

[img:$uid]http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1144364/thumbs/o-KISS-1976-facebook.jpg[/img:$uid]

Paul Stanley has the worst case of gay face i have ever seen lol


To be honest, I never looked at the picture. It was just the biggest KISS pic I could find, LOL. razz

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 12/17/13 12:38pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

Gunsnhalen said:

Gene Simmons is one of the most basic bass players to ever do it. Ace was a decent guitarist, and Peter is just an ok drummer. The songs they wrote were lyrics right out of middle school lol


Even in my days as a huge Kiss fan, i never saw what was so great. Paul Stanley is the one member who i think is above average. He's a pretty good singer when he wants to be, and decent guitarists. Not to mention he really held the band together for awhile.

I think the musicians they had in the 80's were way better than the original lineup.


Here, IMO, is the case for their inclusion:

1. They have a decades-long body of work

2. Their stage presentation was ground-breaking

3. They had several hit songs

4. They sold a bajillion albums

5. They have been at the forefront of American pop consciousness for a long, long time

6. "Rock and Roll All Nite" is an all-time classic song

Did they ever break new ground musically? No, probably not. Were they virtuoso musicians? Again, no. But were/are they a great rock band?

Hell yes!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 12/17/13 12:53pm

Gunsnhalen

RodeoSchro said:

Gunsnhalen said:

Gene Simmons is one of the most basic bass players to ever do it. Ace was a decent guitarist, and Peter is just an ok drummer. The songs they wrote were lyrics right out of middle school lol


Even in my days as a huge Kiss fan, i never saw what was so great. Paul Stanley is the one member who i think is above average. He's a pretty good singer when he wants to be, and decent guitarists. Not to mention he really held the band together for awhile.

I think the musicians they had in the 80's were way better than the original lineup.


Here, IMO, is the case for their inclusion:

1. They have a decades-long body of work

2. Their stage presentation was ground-breaking

3. They had several hit songs

4. They sold a bajillion albums

5. They have been at the forefront of American pop consciousness for a long, long time

6. "Rock and Roll All Nite" is an all-time classic song

Did they ever break new ground musically? No, probably not. Were they virtuoso musicians? Again, no. But were/are they a great rock band?

Hell yes!

Once again, selling records means nothing lol

Lots of artists have decades long works and never get inducted.

There were ground-breaking stage presentations before them (Alice Coooper, David Bowie, Frank Zappa)

In fact Appettite For Destruction by Guns N Roses worldside has sold more than half of Kiss in their entire discorgaphy lol but that's not a reason for GNR to be there... it's the music.

The 80's Kiss was horrible lyrically, but had great musicians. Yet... people only care for the classic line-up. Kiss will always just be a gimmick band too me no matter how you put it razz but they have the ''kiss army'' so they're rapidly loved.

Pistols sounded like "Fuck off," wheras The Clash sounded like "Fuck Off, but here's why.."- Thedigitialgardener

All music is shit music and no music is real- gunsnhalen

Datdonkeydick- Asherfierce

Gary Hunts Album Isn't That Good- Soulalive
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 12/17/13 1:49pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

Gunsnhalen said:

RodeoSchro said:


Here, IMO, is the case for their inclusion:

1. They have a decades-long body of work

2. Their stage presentation was ground-breaking

3. They had several hit songs

4. They sold a bajillion albums

5. They have been at the forefront of American pop consciousness for a long, long time

6. "Rock and Roll All Nite" is an all-time classic song

Did they ever break new ground musically? No, probably not. Were they virtuoso musicians? Again, no. But were/are they a great rock band?

Hell yes!

Once again, selling records means nothing lol

Lots of artists have decades long works and never get inducted.

There were ground-breaking stage presentations before them (Alice Coooper, David Bowie, Frank Zappa)

In fact Appettite For Destruction by Guns N Roses worldside has sold more than half of Kiss in their entire discorgaphy lol but that's not a reason for GNR to be there... it's the music.

The 80's Kiss was horrible lyrically, but had great musicians. Yet... people only care for the classic line-up. Kiss will always just be a gimmick band too me no matter how you put it razz but they have the ''kiss army'' so they're rapidly loved.


I doubt there's anyone that came onto the scene from the 70's on that is in the RRHOF that DOESN'T have strong album sales. So while strong album sales don't guarantee entrance to the RRHOF, weak album sales probably mean "No way you get in".

Sure, Alice, Zappa and Bowie had neat stage shows but no one pushed the artistic and theatric boundaries like KISS. One of the benefits of being an old man grandpa was being there when all this took place. You'll have to trust me on this, but with respect to the stage show, NO ONE was anywhere near KISS's stage show when they hit it big with KISS "Alive".

Also, consider this: "Alive" hit big FIRST. In other words, most people bought "Alive" BEFORE they saw KISS in concert. So the music was selling the album, which is 100% true. I remember buying an 8-track copy for a buddy for his Christmas present and wanting to hear the music so bad that we ripped open the tapes and played them in my car for a couple days. When we gave it to my buddy as a present, we said we wanted to "test" the 8-track to make sure it was good. We did all that before we ever say KISS in concert, so the music was certainly a driver.

The reality is that KISS's impact gets discounted because of their theatrics. I could make an argument that if they'd never put make-up on, they'd still be worthy of the RRHOF.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 12/17/13 1:50pm

ReddishBrownOn
e

Gunsnhalen said:

RodeoSchro said:


Here, IMO, is the case for their inclusion:

1. They have a decades-long body of work

2. Their stage presentation was ground-breaking

3. They had several hit songs

4. They sold a bajillion albums

5. They have been at the forefront of American pop consciousness for a long, long time

6. "Rock and Roll All Nite" is an all-time classic song

Did they ever break new ground musically? No, probably not. Were they virtuoso musicians? Again, no. But were/are they a great rock band?

Hell yes!

Once again, selling records means nothing lol

Lots of artists have decades long works and never get inducted.

There were ground-breaking stage presentations before them (Alice Coooper, David Bowie, Frank Zappa)

In fact Appettite For Destruction by Guns N Roses worldside has sold more than half of Kiss in their entire discorgaphy lol but that's not a reason for GNR to be there... it's the music.

The 80's Kiss was horrible lyrically, but had great musicians. Yet... people only care for the classic line-up. Kiss will always just be a gimmick band too me no matter how you put it razz but they have the ''kiss army'' so they're rapidly loved.

My view is that, no matter what you think of Kiss's music, or of the members as musicians, there's no question that their work has influenced generations of rockers. For that reason alone, they deserve their induction.

Hell, even Nirvana did a Kiss Cover (of Do You Love Me?)

It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly:


http://www.facebook.com/p...9196044697

My band - listen and 'like' us, if you please
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > KISS finally inducted into Rock N Roll Hall of Fame!