independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 13th Oct 2019 7:58pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > At their best...who was better-- George Michael or Boy George ?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 07/27/12 3:53pm

mynameisnotsus
an

I think I prefer Boy George - at their best. I kinda wanna slap both of them though bitchfight

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 07/27/12 4:56pm

mltijchr

avatar

George Michael.

I like Culture Club & all the good songs Boy George did with them..

but I think G.Michael's a better singer (better range & better tone)

& I simply prefer him to B.George.

I'll take it a step further:

G.Michael could sing the "best" Culture Club songs better

than B.George could sing the best Wham!/G.Michael songs.

I could see G.Michael singing - well - "do you really want to hurt me" or

"time (clock of the heart)" & probably some of the upper-tempo songs..

B.George could MAYBE do a decent version of "careless whisper"..

I'm having a hard time thinking which Wham!/G.Michael songs B.George could really nail..

maybe more than I would think..

but in the end, I believe G.Michael is simply better

has made better songs

& has had a "longer" career.

I'll see you tonight..
in ALL MY DREAMS..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 07/27/12 5:28pm

StevenAnthony

George covering George.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 07/27/12 11:33pm

Timmy84

It's interesting to note that the two Georges both grew up in North London in different cities (GM in Finchley and Bushey and BG in Kent).

Musically and artistically, they were as different as night and day. One was all about substance (sometimes mixed with style - and the two sides often confuse the other) and another was all style and (some) substance thanks to his band.

BG seemed to be more of an iconic looking figure in early MTV while GM was more a musical icon in terms of his style though he did have a few iconic looks in the past too.

GM can still wow the crowds today at 49. BG don't seem like he's trying anymore at 51.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 07/28/12 5:38am

missfee

avatar

Timmy84 said:

It's interesting to note that the two Georges both grew up in North London in different cities (GM in Finchley and Bushey and BG in Kent).

Musically and artistically, they were as different as night and day. One was all about substance (sometimes mixed with style - and the two sides often confuse the other) and another was all style and (some) substance thanks to his band.

BG seemed to be more of an iconic looking figure in early MTV while GM was more a musical icon in terms of his style though he did have a few iconic looks in the past too.

GM can still wow the crowds today at 49. BG don't seem like he's trying anymore at 51.

Great observation Timmy. nod

I will forever love and miss you...my sweet Prince.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 07/28/12 8:16am

Timmy84

missfee said:

Timmy84 said:

It's interesting to note that the two Georges both grew up in North London in different cities (GM in Finchley and Bushey and BG in Kent).

Musically and artistically, they were as different as night and day. One was all about substance (sometimes mixed with style - and the two sides often confuse the other) and another was all style and (some) substance thanks to his band.

BG seemed to be more of an iconic looking figure in early MTV while GM was more a musical icon in terms of his style though he did have a few iconic looks in the past too.

GM can still wow the crowds today at 49. BG don't seem like he's trying anymore at 51.

Great observation Timmy. nod

Yeah just noticing how similar and how different they are. nod

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 07/31/12 1:28pm

NDRU

avatar

Timmy84 said:

It's interesting to note that the two Georges both grew up in North London in different cities (GM in Finchley and Bushey and BG in Kent).

Musically and artistically, they were as different as night and day. One was all about substance (sometimes mixed with style - and the two sides often confuse the other) and another was all style and (some) substance thanks to his band.

BG seemed to be more of an iconic looking figure in early MTV while GM was more a musical icon in terms of his style though he did have a few iconic looks in the past too.

GM can still wow the crowds today at 49. BG don't seem like he's trying anymore at 51.

Still, their voices have something in common, IMO

BG was a pretty interesting figure. I'm not sure if you could properly call him a cross-dresser (or whatever the PC term is), but he is about the closest to that that we had seen in mass media. Even bowie didn't go that far in that direction.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 07/31/12 2:08pm

Glindathegood

mltijchr said:

George Michael.

I like Culture Club & all the good songs Boy George did with them..

but I think G.Michael's a better singer (better range & better tone)

& I simply prefer him to B.George.

I'll take it a step further:

G.Michael could sing the "best" Culture Club songs better

than B.George could sing the best Wham!/G.Michael songs.

I could see G.Michael singing - well - "do you really want to hurt me" or

"time (clock of the heart)" & probably some of the upper-tempo songs..

B.George could MAYBE do a decent version of "careless whisper"..

I'm having a hard time thinking which Wham!/G.Michael songs B.George could really nail..

maybe more than I would think..

but in the end, I believe G.Michael is simply better

has made better songs

& has had a "longer" career.

Very true. If you look around, there's actually a live cover GM did of CC's song Victims. It's gorgeous.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 07/31/12 2:09pm

Glindathegood

Timmy84 said:

GM can still wow the crowds today at 49. BG don't seem like he's trying anymore at 51.

Agreed. It was actually fairly close to between them when they first started in the 80's, but now GM by far. There's no contest.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 07/31/12 2:21pm

allsmutaside

robertlove said:

Fury said:

THE MoTHERFUCKiNG ShIT!! [Edited 7/26/12 15:15pm]

Yeah nice...but....

Fastlove,

Careless Wisper,

Faith,

Too Funky,

Praying for time,

Waiting for that day,

Father Figure,

Everything she wants,

I want your sex,

Different corner,

Jesus to a child,

Older,

Outside,

One more try,

Kissing a fool,

Freedom,

Freedom,

Cowboys and angels

And these are songs he wrote by himself...there are also a lot of amazing covers...

case closed lol

I want to take a nap just reading the titles to all of those boring George Michael songs. (Kidding! Apples and Oranges = Boy and George.) Boy was interesting and threatening. Sadly the dope did Boy in. But truly it is too bad they never felt inclined to to cut a song together back in the day. Wake me up before you go go for whatever that would be.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 07/31/12 2:30pm

NDRU

avatar

allsmutaside said:

robertlove said:

Yeah nice...but....

Fastlove,

Careless Wisper,

Faith,

Too Funky,

Praying for time,

Waiting for that day,

Father Figure,

Everything she wants,

I want your sex,

Different corner,

Jesus to a child,

Older,

Outside,

One more try,

Kissing a fool,

Freedom,

Freedom,

Cowboys and angels

And these are songs he wrote by himself...there are also a lot of amazing covers...

case closed lol

I want to take a nap just reading the titles to all of those boring George Michael songs.

LOL it's true though. How did GM go from writing the catchiest songs on the radio to writing the sleepiest?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 07/31/12 2:47pm

mynameisnotsus
an

StevenAnthony said:

George covering George.

Thanks for posting. I love the song and he sings it beautifully.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/03/12 11:15am

capdmom

avatar

You have GOT to be kidding.


George Michael has more vocal and writing talent than any other 80's era singer/band out there, and I'm a huge Duran Duran fan.

His voice is amazing, I could listen to it all day long, especially with songs like "Through".

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.... WHAT???
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > At their best...who was better-- George Michael or Boy George ?