independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What are your favourite 'moments' on the ONA Live album?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/03/03 4:39am

Anji

What are your favourite 'moments' on the ONA Live album?

DON'T just name the song titles themselves but favourite moments within the performances.

For example, the guitar breakdown at the end of The Rainbow Children leading to, and including, the opening chords of Muse 2 The Pharaoh. I absolutely LOVE that moment!

music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/03/03 5:13am

QstnOfU

avatar

During Nothing Compares to U when he sings:

i know that living with me baby, bbbaby,was sometimes hard...sometimes hard but I'M WILLIN', i'm willin', I'M WILLIN', i'm willin', I'M WILLIN', i'm willin' I'M WILLIN', i'm willin' to give it give it giveitanother try...

i just love that part especially when he sing give it, give it giveitanother try... music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/03/03 5:43am

JimmyNothing

avatar

The start of the second verse on When U Were Mine where it's just Prince and the guitar! On the original recording there was a pause of around 7 seconds, but this has been edited on ONA Live. It's a lot of fun to grab a guitar and play along with! horns
Put yourself on the worldwide org map! www.frappr.com/princeorg
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/03/03 6:18am

IstenSzek

avatar

Since I had not attended the concerts in Europe and not
heard all the boots yet of the american ones, I was very
pleasantly surprised when I listened to Muse2ThePharaoh
and heard him break out the guitar on that one.

That spoken parts about 'talons and arrows' is a lot more
fierce than the studio version. I liked it a lot.

I also love Avalanche with the added horns, it gives it
a real jazzclub vibe. It's perhaps the most intimate
moment on all 3 discs.

The third thing that comes to mind is Renato's solo on
"Dorothy Parker", it's wonderful.
and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/03/03 6:31am

NuPwrSoul

QstnOfU said:

During Nothing Compares to U when he sings:

i know that living with me baby, bbbaby,was sometimes hard...sometimes hard but I'M WILLIN', i'm willin', I'M WILLIN', i'm willin', I'M WILLIN', i'm willin' I'M WILLIN', i'm willin' to give it give it giveitanother try...

i just love that part especially when he sing give it, give it giveitanother try... music


nod YESSS. I always wait for this part!

The several breakdowns in "Everlasting Now" ("I'm from Minneapolis, we don't play that!") and the aftershow performance of "Joy in Repetition" are also highlights for me.
"That...magic, the start of something revolutionary-the Minneapolis Sound, we should cherish it and not punish prince for not being able to replicate it."-Dreamshaman32
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/03/03 7:17am

Anji

Towards the end of Strange Relationship, 'Oh Rhonda, you're killing me with that bass, you're killing me.'

music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/03/03 7:19am

Anji

QstnOfU said:

During Nothing Compares to U when he sings:

i know that living with me baby, bbbaby,was sometimes hard...sometimes hard but I'M WILLIN', i'm willin', I'M WILLIN', i'm willin', I'M WILLIN', i'm willin' I'M WILLIN', i'm willin' to give it give it giveitanother try...
music
My childhood sweetheart absolutely adores that part. music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/03/03 7:22am

Anji

IstenSzek said:

I was very pleasantly surprised when I listened to Muse2ThePharaoh and heard him break out the guitar on that one.

That spoken parts about 'talons and arrows' is a lot more
fierce than the studio version. I liked it a lot.
The Muse funk breakdown is magnificent. music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/03/03 8:37am

Handclapsfinga
snapz

the little sing-along session on "iwbyl". nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/03/03 8:41am

enjoyniki

Don't have the album but at the ending with Annastesia was great...haven't heard it since Lovesexy.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/03/03 8:49am

stymie

My favorite moment is in Joy In Repetition when I realize that he is not just gonna sing part of the song but the whole thing. Also, I love the part on Adore when he says "you smashed up the ride".


*****stymie's signature*****
Could somebody please go to P&R and answer my questions about TRC?
[This message was edited Sat May 3 8:55:03 PDT 2003 by stymie]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/03/03 8:58am

diamondpearl1

like alwaya my fav moment was when he went 2 the acostic piano and just jammed 4 10 mins... 1st time i saw him do that was at the 99' rave un2 the year 2000 concert and i was amazed and proud 2 say that he's still got it...smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/03/03 10:16am

Doozer

avatar

I just wanna say, miss, crack kills.

and...

Y'all know who that is?!? Act like you know! Say "Maceo blow your horn!"
[This message was edited Sat May 3 10:17:05 PDT 2003 by Doozer]
Check out The Mountains and the Sea, a Prince podcast by yours truly and my wife. More info at https://www.facebook.com/TMATSPodcast/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/03/03 10:36am

rdhull

avatar

Thinking of this cd transports me to December feeling here. We were jammin back then etc.
"Climb in my fur."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/03/03 10:51am

Handclapsfinga
snapz

enjoyniki said:

Don't have the album but at the ending with Annastesia was great...haven't heard it since Lovesexy.

the version of "anna stesia" on here is cool, till the end...that little speech or whatever p gave pisses me off. i can't listen 2 that joint anymore. disbelief

doozer: thought i wuz the only one here who thought that "crack kills" remark wuz funny! lol also: the little dialogue durin "adore"...

that's a little expensive now, c'mon...evillol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/03/03 11:52am

pejman

avatar

My 2 favorite moments are 1.)Joy and Rep guitar solo & 2.) Muse - the beautiful style that he sings out the lyrics on this tune more so that when he begins to speak them out later in the song..
-------------------------------------------------





MENACE TO SOBRIETY drink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/03/03 2:29pm

calldapplwonde
ry83

IstenSzek said:

Since I had not attended the concerts in Europe and not
heard all the boots yet of the american ones, I was very
pleasantly surprised when I listened to Muse2ThePharaoh
and heard him break out the guitar on that one.

That spoken parts about 'talons and arrows' is a lot more
fierce than the studio version. I liked it a lot.

I also love Avalanche with the added horns, it gives it
a real jazzclub vibe. It's perhaps the most intimate
moment on all 3 discs.

The third thing that comes to mind is Renato's solo on
"Dorothy Parker", it's wonderful.



Actually, that's no guitar but a distorded e-piano (I think a Fender Rhodes). He also plays it during the first part of Xenophobia.
If you like that part, I seriously recommend checking out the Berlin concert. He extended that part there. Man, I remember him playing that solo... he watched his hand as if it was doing something VERY wrong!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/03/03 4:24pm

Anji

Handclapsfingasnapz said:

the little sing-along session on "iwbyl". nod
That sing-along brought it ALL back. biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/03/03 4:26pm

Anji

calldapplwondery83 said:

IstenSzek said:

Since I had not attended the concerts in Europe and not
heard all the boots yet of the american ones, I was very
pleasantly surprised when I listened to Muse2ThePharaoh
and heard him break out the guitar on that one.

That spoken parts about 'talons and arrows' is a lot more
fierce than the studio version. I liked it a lot.

I also love Avalanche with the added horns, it gives it
a real jazzclub vibe. It's perhaps the most intimate
moment on all 3 discs.

The third thing that comes to mind is Renato's solo on
"Dorothy Parker", it's wonderful.



Actually, that's no guitar but a distorded e-piano (I think a Fender Rhodes). He also plays it during the first part of Xenophobia.
If you like that part, I seriously recommend checking out the Berlin concert. He extended that part there. Man, I remember him playing that solo... he watched his hand as if it was doing something VERY wrong!
Sweet Baby rapped over the Muse funk breakdown during the soundcheck in Paris (from what I can remember...) AMAZINGLY FUNKY!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/03/03 4:30pm

Anji

NuPwrSoul said:

The several breakdowns in "Everlasting Now" ("I'm from Minneapolis, we don't play that!") and the aftershow performance of "Joy in Repetition" are also highlights for me.
Someone commented here that the several solos in Everlasting Now almost overlap each other, as the musicians pass the baton along. Those breakdown solos sound remarkably interwoven.

music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/03/03 4:30pm

roverlo

avatar

when I can put the 3rd cd back in it's box... what a relief IT IS OVER!!! no matter what Prince is trying to make me believe! wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/03/03 6:48pm

Doozer

avatar

Handclapsfingasnapz said:



doozer: thought i wuz the only one here who thought that "crack kills" remark wuz funny! lol also: the little dialogue durin "adore"...

that's a little expensive now, c'mon...evillol



YES...and a little before that part when he plays the creepy piano part when he's looking at his smashed up ride...sounds a bit like the Twilight Zone or somethin'. biggrin
Check out The Mountains and the Sea, a Prince podcast by yours truly and my wife. More info at https://www.facebook.com/TMATSPodcast/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/03/03 7:30pm

Starmist7

I haven't got it yet, but will soon! wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/03/03 10:41pm

CalhounSq

avatar

I have 2:

Nothing Compares 2 U: this is probably my favorite moment of the show disc. It's a great version, I love the way the crowd gives it up as soon as he goes into it. But the BEST part is during Candy's solo... "Hands up for love, y'all!" love love love It just sums up the entire night - you're into it, it sounds great & it's all love in that moment... love disbelief heart

Xenophobia: the whole song is TIGHT. I love the way P makes a point to showcase everyone in the band b/c he doesn't do it alone nod When he kicks it to Maceo, it's just cool... "Come on Maceo, blow ya horn!... Y'ALL KNOW WHO DAT IS??!!" Again, it sums it up - how good it sounds & respect due to Maceo as a legendary performer.

I'm SO listening to this on the way home tonight mr.green




.
[This message was edited Sat May 3 22:42:44 PDT 2003 by CalhounSq]
heart prince I never met you, but I LOVE you & I will forever!! Thank you for being YOU - my little Princey, the best to EVER do it prince heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/04/03 12:00am

funkyfish

avatar

When U were mine!

Actually the WHOLE BOX.. ROX!!

FISH wave
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/04/03 8:02am

Joshy84au

avatar

JoyInRep ... that 2nd main solo 2 bring it home

bow

just amazing.
***************************************************************************************
Song of the Day: Prince *Acknowledge Me*
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/04/03 8:18am

Bambi319

Everlasting Now - the whole song!

Nothing compares 2 u (the willing bit and hands up 4 love y'all)

and's whats ur last name Rebecca?!

The whole piano section (the joke with the ride, the beautiful 1's . . the twilight zone . . )
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/04/03 9:25am

ROADHOUSEGARDE
N

avatar

Ofcourse 'JOY': the guitar n bass are unbelievable!!! anyone who doubts Prince's axe abilities should hear this joint.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/04/03 2:56pm

DamnDolores

"Don't believe it!"

and

"That's beautiful" on D &P
________________________________
.....pick another subject please
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/04/03 3:59pm

Chico319

When he's asking the crowd.. "is it better to give or receive" and "is it better to lead or follow".. :LOL:
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What are your favourite 'moments' on the ONA Live album?