independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince underrated in using wah wah
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/18/21 10:35pm

thebanishedone

avatar

Prince underrated in using wah wah

Prince started to use wah wah as guitar effect around the Purple Rain era.(1999 the song is auto wah)and with time he perfected his use of wah in all areas possible.from soundscapes to angry guitar passages in my opinion Prince was 1 of the best users of wah wah effect .
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/19/21 1:57am

Hamad

avatar

Can you give examples of his wah wah playing?
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLH82
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/19/21 2:14am

Vannormal

-

'Born To Die'

comes to mind...

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/19/21 4:33am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

Zanalee also.

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/19/21 5:07am

JorisE73

thebanishedone said:

Prince started to use wah wah as guitar effect around the Purple Rain era.(1999 the song is auto wah)and with time he perfected his use of wah in all areas possible.from soundscapes to angry guitar passages in my opinion Prince was 1 of the best users of wah wah effect .


He was a great user of it indeed.
There are those jams from the 70's where he also uses it a lot.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/19/21 5:19am

BlueShakooo

Hamad said:

Can you give examples of his wah wah playing?

My favourite example is the whole Undertaker-Album (especially Poorgoo).
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/19/21 6:03am

JorisE73

BlueShakooo said:

Hamad said:
Can you give examples of his wah wah playing?
My favourite example is the whole Undertaker-Album (especially Poorgoo).


that's a Whammy.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/19/21 6:32am

BlueShakooo

JorisE73 said:



BlueShakooo said:


Hamad said:
Can you give examples of his wah wah playing?

My favourite example is the whole Undertaker-Album (especially Poorgoo).


that's a Whammy.


You don't hear the super-obvious heavily used Wah-Wah here?!
eek
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/19/21 6:41am

JorisE73

BlueShakooo said:

JorisE73 said:


that's a Whammy.

You don't hear the super-obvious heavily used Wah-Wah here?! eek


I haven't heard it in a while but remember a lot of Whammy work on there.
Just checked and shit, yeah you're right I was thikning of something e;lse I guess.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/19/21 6:55am

BlueShakooo

JorisE73 said:



BlueShakooo said:


JorisE73 said:



that's a Whammy.



You don't hear the super-obvious heavily used Wah-Wah here?! eek


I haven't heard it in a while but remember a lot of Whammy work on there.
Just checked and shit, yeah you're right I was thikning of something e;lse I guess.


Well, I must admit, I didn't remember him using so much Whammy there.
And of course you're right about that. 😄
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/19/21 3:28pm

KoolEaze

avatar

BlueShakooo said:

JorisE73 said:


I haven't heard it in a while but remember a lot of Whammy work on there.
Just checked and shit, yeah you're right I was thikning of something e;lse I guess.

Well, I must admit, I didn't remember him using so much Whammy there. And of course you're right about that. 😄

You both got me a bit confused now. He used a Cloud guitar for the Undertaker session, so....no whammy bar on the guitar....that came years later on the symbol guitars. Or are you talking about something else called whammy?

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/19/21 4:05pm

BlueShakooo

KoolEaze said:



BlueShakooo said:


JorisE73 said:



I haven't heard it in a while but remember a lot of Whammy work on there.
Just checked and shit, yeah you're right I was thikning of something e;lse I guess.



Well, I must admit, I didn't remember him using so much Whammy there. And of course you're right about that. 😄

You both got me a bit confused now. He used a Cloud guitar for the Undertaker session, so....no whammy bar on the guitar....that came years later on the symbol guitars. Or are you talking about something else called whammy?


It's a effects pedal.
Here's the one he used in his final years:
http://www.guitarcloud.or...ech-whammy
https://youtu.be/3EC2HhO0AVA
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/19/21 6:04pm

ForceofNature

My favorite use of it is his lead guitar work on the First Avenue '84 performance of Erotic City

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/20/21 12:14am

masaba

I was watching an analysis of the rrhof performance, and the guy was talking a lot about how skilled he was at opening and closing that gate.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/20/21 7:41pm

steakfinger

Considering no one talks about guitarists in terms of their wah wah use, Prince is not underrated. No one is underrated when it comes to wah wah. It just isn't talked about in terms of guitar skill. Prince was about as good at it as anyone else. That's it. No big deal, no controversy. He used it just like everyone else - no better, no worse.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/20/21 8:37pm

ForceofNature

steakfinger said:

Considering no one talks about guitarists in terms of their wah wah use, Prince is not underrated. No one is underrated when it comes to wah wah. It just isn't talked about in terms of guitar skill.

Idk about that, I remember at college my professors were raving about Hendrix and Robin Trower in terms of tastefully using wah, even Jimmy Page where he would cock the wah forward and use it for tone as opposed to what it is typically used for

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/20/21 10:13pm

steakfinger

ForceofNature said:



steakfinger said:


Considering no one talks about guitarists in terms of their wah wah use, Prince is not underrated. No one is underrated when it comes to wah wah. It just isn't talked about in terms of guitar skill.



Idk about that, I remember at college my professors were raving about Hendrix and Robin Trower in terms of tastefully using wah, even Jimmy Page where he would cock the wah forward and use it for tone as opposed to what it is typically used for


Sure. That’s when it was new. Clapton didn’t know what to do with it and he was the first on record. He just rocked it back and forth in rhythm with the song. Hendrix made it what it is to most players. Zappa was the master of the half-cocked wah cuz he was using it more like a filter to give it a midrange boost to cut through the mix. Nothing new or interesting has been done with it since (as far as recorded popular and semi-popular music goes. Who has their wah wah work mentioned in a positive or negative way post 1980? It became a non-issue right before Prince started making records.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/21/21 6:42am

SPYZFAN1

I agree with steakfinger...Zappa was the one that was using the wah before Hendrix and Clapton came on the scene. His wah use was fantastic. Micheal Schenker uses the wah as a filter for lead solos too......P's use of the wah (to me) was reminiscent of Hendrix/Sly Stone and later on Wah Wah Watson...On P's earlier work (78 to 82), I think he eschewed the wah in his setup intentionally so he wasn't compared to Hendrix.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/21/21 7:51am

thebanishedone

avatar

SPYZFAN1 said:

I agree with steakfinger...Zappa was the one that was using the wah before Hendrix and Clapton came on the scene. His wah use was fantastic. Micheal Schenker uses the wah as a filter for lead solos too.....P's use of the wah (to me) was reminiscent of Hendrix/Sly Stone and later on Wah Wah Watson...On P's earlier work (78 to 82), I think he eschewed the wah in his setup intentionally so he wasn't compared to Hendrix.


How could Zappa used it b4 when it was produced in 1967 and the first record to have it was Tales If Brave Ulyssis by Cream
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/21/21 2:37pm

SPYZFAN1

Zappa used a wah pedal going back to 1966. The casing and circuitry was originally from an organ pedal. FZ had someone tinker with it and liked the "filter/watery" sound of it.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince underrated in using wah wah