independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Superb transitions & rearrangements (live)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/15/21 1:24am

Vannormal

avatar

Superb transitions & rearrangements (live)

Check the transition from ''Automatic'' to ''D.M.S.R.'' (Parade Tour, Detroit 1986),

and how fantastic and original that still is!



Prince often was a master in rearranging his songs live, but also in transitioning them through new arrangements.


Do not post links to unofficially uploaded videos etc - l'ange bleu - moderator


I also loved the slowed down version of 'Let's Go Crazy' with 3rdeyeGirl.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/15/21 2:01am

Vannormal

avatar

-

Concerning a different arrangement live;

a very different version of ''Welcome 2 America'' played live in 2011 in L.A.

has a complete different sound, a faster rock version;


Do not post links to unofficially uploaded videos etc - l'ange bleu - moderator

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/15/21 2:41am

todesm

Cant really call It "superb" but always loved his *Housequake* renditions with *the Future* beat on the nude tour.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/15/21 9:09am

ufoclub

avatar

Vannormal said:

Do not post links to unofficially uploaded videos etc - l'ange bleu - moderator

That is great. I wonder if he did a fast studio version?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/15/21 10:41am

SantanaMaitrey
a

todesm said:

Cant really call It "superb" but always loved his *Housequake* renditions with *the Future* beat on the nude tour.

With 1999 thrown in. And Sexy Dancer. It made for a great opener of the concert.
If you take any of this seriously, you're a bigger tool than I am.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/15/21 10:48am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

todesm said:

Cant really call It "superb" but always loved his *Housequake* renditions with *the Future* beat on the nude tour.


Yeah, he really did a healthy sized medley of stuff over that beat for "The Future." Even with the funkier under beat of "Housequake," he still let "The Future" just sorta rattle on underneath it. Somehow it worked, mostly. "Sexy Dancer" felt a bit weird stuck in there. It was more a chant.

There's a rehearsal boot where Prince stops that medley because he hears a missing kick drum in the drum machine. You almost don't hear it; maybe a normal person wouldn't notice it. But he did. He tells Michael B. to lighly tap his kick drum to fill in for that. I don't know if they ever went back and corrected the programming mistake, but Prince caught it in a hot second.

I never really got The Nude Tour. It seemed disconnected from all things Batman or Graffiti Bridge despite songs from both in the setlist. ("The Question of U," "Partyman," "The Future," etc.) It was less theatrical than the preceding Lovesexy (which, in all reality, was his only and last overly stylized and conceptual tour). However, a lot of the Asian symbols and even the design on the front of the stage steps sorta hinted toward his eventual Egyptian motifs just a few years later.


And if Beyonc ever took anything from Prince, it was them stage fans blowin' that long wavy hair for 2 hours. hahaha

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/15/21 10:53am

SantanaMaitrey
a

^Plain and simple. He lost money on the American Lovesexy tour and touring Europe was a sure way to make money again. That's why he did a greatest hits show with a few new tracks to let everybody know there was a new album coming up.
Same for the D&P tour, which became a promo tour for the upcoming prince album as it went along.
[Edited 9/15/21 10:55am]
If you take any of this seriously, you're a bigger tool than I am.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/15/21 12:36pm

ForbiddenFruit

Lovesexy Live:

Head => A Love Bizarre

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/15/21 1:24pm

motherfunka

avatar

SOTT Tour

Forever In My Life>It

TRUE BLUE
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/15/21 2:04pm

FrankieCoco1

My first Prince concert was during the Nude Tour. London, Wembley Arena 3rd July 1990 ( http://princevault.com/in..._July_1990 ) and nearly missed the Baby I’m A Star/We Can Funk encore, but scrambled back in to see it (unlike many others who left early). Quite a few “medley”/transitions during the show, in fact, looking back it was non-stop.

This link is a good read about the tour, especially for Dutch fans:

https://en.apoplife.nl/pr...nude-tour/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/15/21 5:11pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Some of these things are just medleys, not necessarily transitions from one song to another. I mean, look at "I Would Die 4 U" and "Baby I'm A Star." Is that a transition, or just going from one song to another?

Or how about the first four songs on Parade? Transitions or a medley? Those may fall under transitions a bit more, because tempos slow, keys change, etc.

There's also the "Irresistible Bitch" and "Possessed" grouping. Transition or medley?

To the rearrangement talk: I do love how he's change up his songs in a live setting. Added horns or a chant somewhere is great. I love how the mid-section of "Let's Go Crazy" was in "Delirious" on the Purple Rain Tour, using the same Linn beat.

I loved the medley on the Parade Tour, starting with "Raspberry Beret." He'd go into "17 Days," "A Love Bizarre," or "Mutiny." That sorta medley is what we saw in bigger fashion later in the first act of Lovesexy tour, and The Nude Tour's first 13 minutes. He rearranged some of those songs a bit here and there, added horn elements, etc., and it kept it interesting and engaging.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/15/21 5:14pm

fortuneandsere
ndipity

Vannormal said:


Do not post links to unofficially uploaded videos etc. - l'ange bleu - moderator


Wish he had used a funk rock version of Welcome 2 America for the album. By the way, the last minute of it is really the guitar work from 'Dreamer'.


The hypocrisy of the far-left is something else.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - this is where all religions fall down.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/15/21 10:48pm

Vannormal

avatar

-

Well, with transitions, i mean additional new arrangements to go from one song to another.

Not necessary the same beat or medely.

Listen again to the example. It's like the transition is/was part of a new song.

It had really nothing to do with either 'Automatic' nor ''DMSR'.

It is about the stuff in between, and i do remember the special choreography going with it.

-

Concerning another arrangement;

Listen to this very different version of 'Get Your Groove On', a song not often played live.

Not somethign i considder a great song either. But live, here, it sounds infectious!

Find it here;

I'm talking about this live version for instance :


See previous comments - l'ange bleu - moderator


Quality is not all that good, but you can definately hear this is nearly a different song.

-

Another but less outspoken example though still fantastic to me, are most live versions of 'Musicology.'

Often live it sounds better to me.

With a funky descending heavy bass line, which isn't prominent in the actual recorded song.

Plus the fact that the song live is sped up is what it needs the most I believe.

Not to forget the superb addition of fat funky horns by Hornheadz...

All these elements gives so much more the punch and the greased funk it needs imho.

The recorded version i don't considder funky at all for instance, never liked it that much.

I'm talking about this live version for instance :


See previous comments - l'ange bleu - moderator

-

And there are so many more to mention...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/15/21 11:00pm

Vannormal

avatar

-

Comments deleted - l'ange bleu - moderator

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/15/21 11:10pm

Vannormal

avatar

-

Talking about another version once more;

...is it me, or does Prince sings a bit out of tune on this one?

'17 Days' from the 'Welcome 2 America, Live Blu-Ray' (included in the deluxe edition of 'Welcome 2 America.')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMY4NFW7GkI

-

I always loved this song live.

So, this one is OK, but certainly not his best live performance to me.

I don't like the Renato Neto solo in this one, neither the Mr. Hayes one.

Also the somewhat reggae feel from the rhythm guitar in the beat, doesn't do the song justice imho.

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/16/21 1:58am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

SantanaMaitreya said:

^Plain and simple. He lost money on the American Lovesexy tour

.

Japan Lovesexy tour paid for the hole in the accounts. Which he of course didn't want to do until his accountants forced him to.

.

Nude was suppsoed to be a cash-in tour with limited stage stuff, but then Prince wanted a waterfall etc. Thankfully, saner people talked him out of it.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/16/21 3:08am

Vannormal

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

SantanaMaitreya said:

^Plain and simple. He lost money on the American Lovesexy tour

.

Japan Lovesexy tour paid for the hole in the accounts. Which he of course didn't want to do until his accountants forced him to.

.

Nude was suppsoed to be a cash-in tour with limited stage stuff, but then Prince wanted a waterfall etc. Thankfully, saner people talked him out of it.

-

Seriously ?

A waterfall ?!

Never read that...

Actually he should've done it. wink

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/16/21 5:47am

GustavoRibas

avatar

Cool topic. One of the reasons I am a Prince fan.

.

The first example that comes to my mind is that ´Starfish and coffee´ version from The Park 94 or 95 boot. It becomes a latin jam and Michael Bland does a series of drumrolls that even Prince shouts in the end. I really love these ´musician´ moments.

.

And I think it was a great idea to mix "The ballad of Dorothy Parker" with Madhouse´s ´Four´ live.

.

The other one isnt a true rearrangement, but one of my fave Prince moments EVER is that ´Space´ version from one of those B-day concerts at Glam Slam. Tommy Barbarella does a cool solo and then Prince enters with an amazing guitar solo. Musical heaven to me.


[Edited 9/20/21 18:09pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/21/21 3:36pm

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

"all this love" live at montreux guitar cool


If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/21/21 3:38pm

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

I love the way "My Tree" and "A Positive Place" segue/transition, even with the whole "yo prince, you got to slow this down" call out by robin. very cool.

I know, that's not a live one. Still, I love it razz

[Edited 9/21/21 15:39pm]

If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/22/21 6:36am

curator

The live shows in the second half of his career have a multitude of rearrangements, medleys, and jams. Too much gold to sort through to list them all. One priceless gem I adore:

In the Copenhagen aftershow on Oct. 26, 2002 at the Vega Musikkens Hus, "The Question of U/The One/Fallin'" features some gorgeous-filthy guitar licks by Prince, painfully beautiful piano work by Renato, a rich slow-burn sax solo by Eric, a stratospheric performance by Candy, a few tip-of-the-hat bars of "Take Five" -- capped off by a badass John Blackwell clinic. Sixteen minutes of bliss.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 09/22/21 7:11am

Vannormal

avatar

curator said:

The live shows in the second half of his career have a multitude of rearrangements, medleys, and jams. Too much gold to sort through to list them all. One priceless gem I adore:

In the Copenhagen aftershow on Oct. 26, 2002 at the Vega Musikkens Hus, "The Question of U/The One/Fallin'" features some gorgeous-filthy guitar licks by Prince, painfully beautiful piano work by Renato, a rich slow-burn sax solo by Eric, a stratospheric performance by Candy, a few tip-of-the-hat bars of "Take Five" -- capped off by a badass John Blackwell clinic. Sixteen minutes of bliss.

-

Thank you?

Going to look for that one.

Never heard it before.

Thanks again. smile

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 09/25/21 5:08am

jdcxc

Vannormal said:

-

Well, with transitions, i mean additional new arrangements to go from one song to another.

Not necessary the same beat or medely.

Listen again to the example. It's like the transition is/was part of a new song.

It had really nothing to do with either 'Automatic' nor ''DMSR'.

It is about the stuff in between, and i do remember the special choreography going with it.

-

Concerning another arrangement;

Listen to this very different version of 'Get Your Groove On', a song not often played live.

Not somethign i considder a great song either. But live, here, it sounds infectious!

Find it here;

I'm talking about this live version for instance :


See previous comments - l'ange bleu - moderator


Quality is not all that good, but you can definately hear this is nearly a different song.

-

Another but less outspoken example though still fantastic to me, are most live versions of 'Musicology.'

Often live it sounds better to me.

With a funky descending heavy bass line, which isn't prominent in the actual recorded song.

Plus the fact that the song live is sped up is what it needs the most I believe.

Not to forget the superb addition of fat funky horns by Hornheadz...

All these elements gives so much more the punch and the greased funk it needs imho.

The recorded version i don't considder funky at all for instance, never liked it that much.

I'm talking about this live version for instance :


See previous comments - l'ange bleu - moderator

-

And there are so many more to mention...


Love the transition to "Tighten Up" after Musicology...his Rhythm Guitar playing is ridiculously good.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Superb transitions & rearrangements (live)