independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Pic: Grand Central, 1974
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/04/21 1:27am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Pic: Grand Central, 1974

Incredible find from Prince's 1970s Grand Central bandmate Terry Jackson has a few photos of Grand Central (incorrectly labeled) in their digital collection, from when they played the demolition of the YWCA in 1974.

Grand Central:

Prince (guitar, keyboard, vox)
André Cymone (bass, vox)
Morris Day (drums)
Terry Jackson (timbales)
Linda Anderson (keyboard)(André Cymone's sister)
William "Hollywood" Doughty (congas)

Source

default.jpg

E5T8a6rXwAUfFEq?format=jpg&name=largeE5T8kZfXoA45pF9?format=jpg&name=large

E5diZdOX0AAXcN7?format=jpg&name=medium

[Edited 7/4/21 9:22am]

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/04/21 8:12am

Milty2

Thank God for these digital collections. They really do open up worlds for us.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/04/21 8:18am

fredmagnus

Amazing eek

Thanks a lot.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/04/21 8:24am

nayroo2002

avatar

So, Ruth Hawkins is that old dude in the background?

"Whatever skin Ur in
we all need 2 b friends"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/04/21 8:41am

laytonian

nayroo2002 said:

So, Ruth Hawkins is that old dude in the background?


No. The building being demolished was the Ruth Hawkins YWCA, due to be replaced by a new building.

[Edited 7/13/21 18:14pm]

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/04/21 8:50am

nayroo2002

avatar

Sorry!

Was being a bit cheeky in hopes that someone would name the musicians from left to right biggrin

"Whatever skin Ur in
we all need 2 b friends"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/04/21 8:51am

laytonian

Bernadette Anderson was on the board of the Ruth Hawkins YWCA at that time so when there was to be a demolition ceremony with the mayr and uppy-ups, she enlisted her son and his bandmates to perform.
For years, these photos were "lost" because the band was identified only as "The Ruth Hawkins Band" (from the name of the YWCA building). Big kudos to whomever unearthed them.

I haven't been able to determine the exact date of this event but it was obviously summer in Minneapolis, so Prince was either 15 or 16.
I've been wondering who the woman is who seems to be talking to P. It's not Linda Anderson (sitting at the keyboard) and it's obviously not Bernadette. Since Morris is at the drumgs, is it possible we're seeing Morris Day's mother here? She did some management of Grand Central for awhile and was described as a hottie.
000-jpg.267887600-jpg.26788770-jpg.2678878

[Edited 7/4/21 8:54am]

[Edited 7/4/21 17:33pm]

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/04/21 12:34pm

Milty2

This is all so informative. We only know more of what Prince's life was like before he signed with Warner's only relatively recently. It's almost like Prince's life started when he signed to the label and forward.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/04/21 5:29pm

andrewm7

Very nice photos, thanks heaps for posting smile

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/05/21 2:53am

leecaldon

Just amazing.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/05/21 3:33am

KeithyT

avatar

Loved seeing these also shared via Housequake's FB group yesterday.

A couple of other fans were intrigued by the guitar as much as I was and it's a VOX Phantom V we reckon, probably the one that Andre Cymone mentions in a couple of interviews as their shared electric guitar (possibly Prince's first electric).

[Edited 7/5/21 3:48am]

Just somewhere in the middle,
Not too good and not too bad.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/05/21 5:09am

Milty2

Hard to believe that only 10 years later, he would be the biggest rock star in the world.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/05/21 7:29am

KeithyT

avatar

Someone on facebook said the Demolition ceremony and Grand Central performance was Thursday July 11th 1974.

The keyboard player, to me, looks like the same person as in that black and white photo, of the band all lined up in front of a tree. I thought that was Linda Anderson.

laytonian said:

I haven't been able to determine the exact date of this event but it was obviously summer in Minneapolis, so Prince was either 15 or 16.
I've been wondering who the woman is who seems to be talking to P. It's not Linda Anderson (sitting at the keyboard) and it's obviously not Bernadette. Since Morris is at the drumgs, is it possible we're seeing Morris Day's mother here? She did some management of Grand Central for awhile and was described as a hottie.

Just somewhere in the middle,
Not too good and not too bad.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/05/21 2:44pm

RJOrion

Great pictures
[Edited 7/5/21 14:45pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/06/21 8:53am

Dandroppedadim
e

drumgs! the ultimate combo of rhythm and pharmaceuticals!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/06/21 7:23pm

laytonian

KeithyT said:

Someone on facebook said the Demolition ceremony and Grand Central performance was Thursday July 11th 1974.

The keyboard player, to me, looks like the same person as in that black and white photo, of the band all lined up in front of a tree. I thought that was Linda Anderson.

laytonian said:

I haven't been able to determine the exact date of this event but it was obviously summer in Minneapolis, so Prince was either 15 or 16.
I've been wondering who the woman is who seems to be talking to P. It's not Linda Anderson (sitting at the keyboard) and it's obviously not Bernadette. Since Morris is at the drumgs, is it possible we're seeing Morris Day's mother here? She did some management of Grand Central for awhile and was described as a hottie.


It's definitely Linda Anderson on the keyboards.
Thanks for the date info. So Prince would have just turned 16 a month before.

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/07/21 1:45am

KeithyT

avatar

laytonian said:

It's definitely Linda Anderson on the keyboards.
Thanks for the date info. So Prince would have just turned 16 a month before.

Sorry I misread your comment about the lady with the bag (I don't know who that is either) and Linda on keys which you knew. Gotcha now. cool

Just somewhere in the middle,
Not too good and not too bad.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/07/21 7:14am

Genesia

avatar

Milty2 said:

This is all so informative. We only know more of what Prince's life was like before he signed with Warner's only relatively recently. It's almost like Prince's life started when he signed to the label and forward.


It's almost like he suddenly had a PR department behind him.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/07/21 8:41am

Vannormal

avatar

laytonian said:

I've been wondering who the woman is who seems to be talking to P. It's not Linda Anderson (sitting at the keyboard) and it's obviously not Bernadette. Since Morris is at the drumgs, is it possible we're seeing Morris Day's mother here? She did some management of Grand Central for awhile and was described as a hottie.
000-jpg.2678876

-

Someone should send these photo's to Morris Day on his Instagram account.

Why not. He might remember this.

-

Thank you so much for these incredible documents.

I'm also happy to see this is a 'sticky' !

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/07/21 8:59am

RJOrion

Vannormal said:



laytonian said:


I've been wondering who the woman is who seems to be talking to P. It's not Linda Anderson (sitting at the keyboard) and it's obviously not Bernadette. Since Morris is at the drumgs, is it possible we're seeing Morris Day's mother here? She did some management of Grand Central for awhile and was described as a hottie.
000-jpg.2678876



-


Someone should send these photo's to Morris Day on his Instagram account.


Why not. He might remember this.


-


Thank you so much for these incredible documents.


I'm also happy to see this is a 'sticky' !


-



I dont think thats Morris Day's mother...his mother is a lighter complexioned woman...i may be wrong but i doubt it
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/07/21 9:36pm

khill95

"you need to pick yo afro daddy cause it's flat on one side"-erykah badu

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/08/21 5:06am

Vannormal

avatar

-

Seems like Prince was already on heels !

Just imagine if this was recorded...

biggrin

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/08/21 5:17am

Milty2

Vannormal said:

-

Seems like Prince was already on heels !

Just imagine if this was recorded...

biggrin

-

If you look closely at the crowd photo, there is a film camera just on the edge of the photo. Film possibly does exist of this.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/08/21 6:39am

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

Morris posted the photo to his Instagram account.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/08/21 11:17am

RJOrion

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

Morris posted the photo to his Instagram account.




Not the one with the woman that someone asked if that was Morris' mother though...the only one he posted is the one showing him on drums and P on guitar.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/08/21 2:49pm

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

He kept his shape a long time, I'd know that back sillhuette anywhere. Perhaps the lady is an organiser of the event
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/12/21 4:15am

Se7en

avatar

And 10 years later he'd be the biggest musical artist in the world!

For the person who said that Prince's life seemed to start with the WB contract, that might've been by design. He was all about the mystery!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/12/21 7:21am

Milty2

Se7en said:

And 10 years later he'd be the biggest musical artist in the world!

For the person who said that Prince's life seemed to start with the WB contract, that might've been by design. He was all about the mystery!

Ya that was me. I doubt it was by design. I believe so much of Prince's "professional" life was no different than any other musical artist once they signed a contract. You can track it against a lot of other artists. Some take off right away, some never really take off and some take a couple of albums to take off.

I believe in the "design by mystery" thing he eventually adopted but I don't like to put a lot of weight on it. Prince was awkward, he didn't like journalists and the media but if he needed to speak to an audience, he reserved it for the stage or a record. That I believe.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/20/21 3:37pm

nelcp777

Does anyone know if he had kept that guitar?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/20/21 5:28pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

nelcp777 said:

Does anyone know if he had kept that guitar?


I don't remember, off hand, seeing it in the police photos of Paisley Park. But that doesn't mean it wasn't somewhere else.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Pic: Grand Central, 1974